• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryan Singer (X-Men, Usual Suspects) accused of sexually abusing underage boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Singer's life is ruined by this, it won't be because we're talking shit about him on an Internet message board.

I'm not talking about Singer, we'll know about him in a few months anyway. I'm talking about the gossip surrounding other people who are only suspected on the basis of guilt by association and sexuality.

injurai

Banned
I really wonder how much of a "creep" he'd look like to people if he had 18yo looking girls on his arm. (My guess: not at all)

You right, his passive behavior is muddled a bit over this. Regardless once the rape allegations come out, similar reactions would be felt if it was a 17 year old girl. Though you would probably also get those bat shit fuckers saying she either liked it or is right out lying. You know, making baseless assertions.

Jasper

Uh Oh......

x9atozqrumwkw2tigvht.jpg

CDX

Hollywood Reporter - Bryan Singer Accuser Filed Suit Over Sexual Abuse in 2000 But Didn’t Name Him (Exclusive)

Michael Egan sued in 2000 over alleged sexual abuse at the site of a 1999 party, naming various defendants but not director Bryan Singer.

The man suing X-Men director Bryan Singer for forcible sexual abuse of a minor at 1999 parties in Los Angeles and Hawaii apparently previously sued the alleged hosts of the Los Angeles party but omitted Singer from his allegations then. That lawsuit was filed in 2000 in Los Angeles Superior Court. Some of the allegations are repeated in the later lawsuit, including a claim that one of the hosts professed to have "gaydar" and knew that the plaintiff wanted gay sex.

The 2000 suit was filed by several individuals, including one identified as "Michael E, a minor, by and through his guardian ad litem, Bonnie Mound." The plaintiff in the suit filed Wednesday is Michael Egan. The birthday given for “Michael E” would make him 31 today, which is Egan's age.

I'm not sure how to interpret this.

So, he had the same or similar allegations in 2000, but DIDN'T name Bryan Singer then. Why?

Delio

Uh Oh......

x9atozqrumwkw2tigvht.jpg

You know that guy is like mid 20s right? Just because they LOOK young doesn't mean they are automatically 15 or something. Seriously just posting pics doesnt prove anything if you dont even know the age of the other guy.

charsace

Hollywood would actually make for a great psychological study. So many people go there thinking they are going to be one of the ones that will make it big. And of course many don't. Following a hundred or so people over a 25 year period who are trying to make it would make for a crazy book.

Valhelm

contribute something
I really wonder how much of a "creep" he'd look like to people if he had 18yo looking girls on his arm. (My guess: not at all)

A 36-year-old soliciting a teenager for casual sex is a little creepy even if she's of age, in my opinion.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
It's a lot of straight guys in this thread that are doing this. Just because you're gay and work in hollywood doesn't automatically make you a rapist or mean you drug young boys for sex. It's rather annoying how people are pointing fingers just because.

I even saw some posts on a different website pointing fingers at Joshua Jackson. What? Where the fuck did that come from? Because he was seen at some party?

By a gay man no less.

Yep! I saw the link that said "creepy twink hollywood party" I'm a straight dude and if a bunch of gay dudes want to have a pool party, who gives a fuck. Nobody says anything about all the young girls in most pool parties hollywood throws.

Now if the guy is guilty, f him! But this "oh he's gay and into young guys" is creepy shit is fucked up.

kirblar

A 36-year-old soliciting a teenager for casual sex is a little creepy even if she's of age, in my opinion.
Oh, the solicitation/abuse of power stuff is creepy/screwed up no matter the gender of the parties involved. But the "young girl on arm of older man" thing is a pretty well established trope at this point.

Yep! I saw the link that said "creepy twink hollywood party" I'm a straight dude and if a bunch of gay dudes want to have a pool party, who gives a fuck. Nobody says anything about all the young girls in most pool parties hollywood throws.

Now if the guy is guilty, f him! But this "oh he's gay and into young guys" is creepy shit is fucked up.

Those pool party pictures look like a typical gay party. I'm gay myself and that whole gay scene really isn't my thing, but nothing screamed out at me that drugs or rape was going on. There might be some thristy dudes looking for sex, but that's pretty much everywhere... gay and straight.

kirblar

Those pool party pictures look like a typical gay party. I'm gay myself and that whole gay scene really isn't my thing, but nothing screamed out at me that drugs or rape was going on. There might be some thristy dudes looking for sex, but that's pretty much everywhere... gay and straight.
Overt male sexuality makes people uncomfortable in a way female sexuality doesn't. Yay double standards.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm not sure how to interpret this.

So, he had the same or similar allegations in 2000, but DIDN'T name Bryan Singer then. Why?

Hard to say. I haven't seen anyone learn of the result, or lack thereof, to that suit. As for not naming Singer, it's possible there was some strategic reason, like they felt they had a stronger case going after just the others. That suit also involved other plaintiffs, so that could play a role as well. Perhaps those two didn't have encounters with Singer so efforts were focused on where all of their incidents converged.

From my non-legal-expert perspective, I wouldn't read a whole lot into it for now. I think it's useful to counter anyone claiming this guy is probably making shit up 15 years later. Obviously he felt there was something wrong with the situation back then too.

Valhelm

contribute something
Oh, the solicitation/abuse of power stuff is creepy/screwed up no matter the gender of the parties involved. But the "young girl on arm of older man" thing is a pretty well established trope at this point.

It really depends on the kind of relationship, in my opinion. If James Franco wants to be in a relationship with a 19 or 20-year-old model, that's a little weird, but if it's consensual that's all cool. Using a teenager for sex is a very different matter altogether.

JB1981

Damn all over Drudge now. Fox canceling press tour and taking Singer's name off promotional ads for new TV shows

It really depends on the kind of relationship, in my opinion. If James Franco wants to be in a relationship with a 19 or 20-year-old model, that's a little weird, but if it's consensual that's all cool. Using a teenager for sex is a very different matter altogether.

I don't understand your comparison. A teenager model is cool for a relationship, but a non-modelling teenager isn't cool for a one night stand? What?

If it's legal and consensual, who cares?

Toa TAK

Banned
I don't know about that. In the UK we had our own scandal that unearthed a lot of 70s-80s TV stars, so I can only imagine what the Hollywood elite get up to.

I'm sure it's the same here, but I think he was just talking about the city as a whole.

But if I'm wrong, please tell me. :)

Overt male sexuality makes people uncomfortable in a way female sexuality doesn't. Yay double standards.

There is no doubt a bit of that going on here, but that is downplaying the parties a little bit. The point of the parties is not just that Bryan Singer likes men who look young, but the fact that these parties that Egan and Singer met at were run by a Hollywood executive who was convicted in 2004 of multiple accounts of smuggling minors across state lines for sex and of basically running a sex ring where young men were put on the studio payrolls and told that their careers would take off if they had sex with studio big shots at parties. I'm not speaking in a legal fashion, but just on my own personal judgement here. But if it's proven that Egan and Singer met at one of these parties I'd have a really hard time believing that he was not totally aware of how the arrangement worked, and it's an arrangement that I think is pretty nasty and I'd feel the same way about that regardless of the genders or ages of those involved.

FStop7

Banned
I'd heard stories about Singer a long time ago. Back from around the time of Apt Pupil. I thought a lot of it was just bitterness from Fox because of how vindictive they were toward him after he left X-Men 3 to do Superman Returns. The stories were disturbing and over the top. But they pretty much fell in line with what's been described in this lawsuit.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I think the age of majority should be the age of consent.

Legally, it's not fuzzy. And also, even if he was 30, he's saying that he was drugged and raped, on top of the fact that the kid was 15 at the time. This reeks of victim blaming.

was waiting for some gaffer to drop the 'victim blaming' catchphrase of 2014. somehow need to work 'slut shaming' in here as well.

if the rest of the allegations went to the letter as described by the plaintiff then it's horrendous. However, there is enough red flags for me (age of victim, repeated apparently voluntary visits to said rape site after the fact) to make me not immediately assume that Brian Singer is a big gay rapist. Although, before this thread I didn't realise he was a big gay, that's pretty clear now.

It's entirely possible that this guy also, through a series of poor life choices attempted to sex his way into hollywood, didn't succeed and became old and bitter and now wants a lot of money from some very rich people who he by the sound of it has intimate knowledge.

both of the above situations could be true. We don't know either way.

GungHo said:
Does your country's definition of rape include putting drugs and alcohol into someone with or without their knowledge in order to make them more compliant for sex?

no, of course it doesn't.

kirblar

There is no doubt a bit of that going on here, but that is downplaying the parties a little bit. The point of the parties is not just that Bryan Singer likes men who look young, but the fact that these parties that Egan and Singer met at were run by a Hollywood executive who was convicted in 2004 of multiple accounts of smuggling minors across state lines for sex and of basically running a sex ring where young men were put on the studio payrolls and told that their careers would take off if they had sex with studio big shots at parties. I'm not speaking in a legal fashion, but just on my own personal judgement here. But if it's proven that Egan and Singer met at one of these parties I'd have a really hard time believing that he was not totally aware of how the arrangement worked, and it's an arrangement that I think is pretty nasty and I'd feel the same way about that regardless of the genders or ages of those involved.
Yeah, the actual details are grimy and gross, and we've seen the same type of crap on the female side of things for as long as we can remember. Not trying to downplay that. I'm just referring to what seems to be people's visceral reaction to seeing a younger-looking guy.

Valhelm

contribute something
I don't understand your comparison. A teenager model is cool for a relationship, but a non-modelling teenager isn't cool for a one night stand? What?

Is he (Singer or Franco) using his influence to manipulate a very young person for quick sex, or is he actually interested in who they are? An age disparity in a relationship isn't wrong, but exploiting a teenager for sex is horrible.

kirblar

Why are we comparing James Franco to accused rape again?
Original article highlighted that the user was 17yo and was in a state where that was the age of consent, making it seem like it was a statuatory issue when it was anything but, and it just totally derailed the discussion.
Is he (Singer or Franco) using his influence to manipulate a very young person for quick sex, or is he actually interested in who they are? An age disparity in a relationship isn't wrong, but exploiting a teenager for sex is horrible.
In Singer's case, it appears to be a pattern of manipulation/pay for play/etc., which is troubling even without the other issues raised in the case. But what's wrong with a one-night-stand?

FoneBone

We're talking about a pattern of coercion and exploitation. I got no problem with Singer hooking up with younger dudes, but if he or his associates are promising to advance their careers in exchange for sex, that's a problem.

grkazan12

lol, yeah that comment was dumb, I apologize fellow Los Angeles peeps. That was rude, I think it's an alright place. I guess I just meant to say that Hollywood can be dark sometimes and go in weird places.

Once again, apologies.

Sanjuro

Using a celebrity status to get laid is perfectly natural.

Using a celebrity status to rape someone isn't.

Age of consent is largely a non issue as seventeen is close to the standard everywhere. If not, then that is a statutory issue which is absent from either argument. Still very different from forcible rape.

Toa TAK

Banned
lol, yeah that comment was dumb, I apologize fellow Los Angeles peeps. That was rude, I think it's an alright place. I guess I just meant to say that Hollywood can be dark sometimes and go in weird places.

Once again, apologies.

It's cool bro. No harm done!

Calamari41

41 > 38
Oh shit I took a picture with Singer at a USC alumni event, I guess that means I've been raping little boys for years or something.

ivysaur12

Banned
was waiting for some gaffer to drop the 'victim blaming' catchphrase of 2014. somehow need to work 'slut shaming' in here as well.

if the rest of the allegations went to the letter as described by the plaintiff then it's horrendous. However, there is enough red flags for me (age of victim, repeated apparently voluntary visits to said rape site after the fact) to make me not immediately assume that Brian Singer is a big gay rapist. Although, before this thread I didn't realise he was a big gay, that's pretty clear now.

It's entirely possible that this guy also, through a series of poor life choices attempted to sex his way into hollywood, didn't succeed and became old and bitter and now wants a lot of money from some very rich people who he by the sound of it has intimate knowledge.

both of the above situations could be true. We don't know either way.

no, of course it doesn't.

This:

Secondly, this kid went multiple times to hawaii, I don't think he was fully helpless if he was travelling by himself.

This, right here, is victim blaming. It's not a buzzword, and trying to blow off an argument by stating as such is ridiculous. You are assuming that because this kid was old enough to know better and that he took this trips to Hawaii, he should share partial blame in what transpired.

One of the reasons we have age of majority laws is because we have to draw a line in the sand at an age in which we decide people can make rational decisions on their own well being. This does not always mean sexually, but those two ages can be the same. In this case, they are... 18. This boy was 15 when these allegations first transpired, according to the victim. We shouldn't admonish someone for mistakes they made when they were under 18 by saying that "they should've known better." This is regardless of whether these allegations of rape are true or not -- I don't think it's a question of the fact that Bryan took this person when he was a minor to Hawaii. You can't say "well, he should've known better" when the guy was a teenager.

It also doesn't matter if he's just in it to get some compensation if Bryan actually, you know, raped him.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
This:
This, right here, is victim blaming. It's not a buzzword, and trying to blow off an argument by stating as such is ridiculous. You are assuming that because this kid was old enough to know better and that he took this trips to Hawaii, he should share partial blame in what transpired.

Wrong, it's not victim blaming because we don't know if he's a victim. You've already convicted singer, I haven't.

However, when I stepped into this thread, I did so under the belief that the guy was 17, not 15. I take a much dimmer view of fucking around with a 15 year old than I do doing the same with a 17 year old, because I was both ages once and would have happily got myself into 'sexy situations' at that age.

I'm saying that multiple trips to the site of the alleged rape doesn't do the plaintiff a lot of favours.

Also the age of consent in Hawaii is apparently 16. so there's that as well.

and 'victim blaming' is a buzzword. it's easy to throw out to accuse the otherside of being a monster so they'll stop discussing something in fear of being seen as pro-rape. It's just avoiding thought or discussing tricky subjects.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wrong, it's not victim blaming because we don't know if he's a victim. You've already convicted singer, I haven't.

However, when I stepped into this thread, I did so under the belief that the guy was 17, not 15. I take a much dimmer view of fucking around with a 15 year old than I do doing the same with a 17 year old, because I was both ages once and would have happily got myself into 'sexy situations' at that age.

I'm saying that multiple trips to the site of the alleged rape doesn't do the plaintiff a lot of favours.

Also the age of consent in Hawaii is apparently 16. so there's that as well.

1) It doesn't matter what the age of consent is -- as has been pointed out multiple times in this thread -- because it involves crossing state borders. The national age of consent is 18.

2) You said:

Secondly, this kid went multiple times to hawaii, I don't think he was fully helpless if he was travelling by himself.

Which is laying the blame on this kid for what potentially transpired. That's victim blaming.

and 'victim blaming' is a buzzword. it's easy to throw out to accuse the otherside of being a monster so they'll stop discussing something in fear of being seen as pro-rape. It's just avoiding thought or discussing tricky subjects.

No, it's not a buzzword, it's an actual thing that you did when you said that this kid should shoulder the blame for what potentially transpired because he should've known better than taking a trip to Hawaii as a minor. If you don't believe that, chose your words more carefully next time.

Sanjuro

There has to be a victim for there to be victim blaming. That could be either person by the time this all plays out.

anaron

32 year old hollywood director is flying out a 17 year old to have sex with in a state where it's legal

Nothing weird about that, obviously

Sanjuro

What is this then?

You're implying that person is a victim (which is very well may end up being). Right now you have a couple PR statements. That's it.

So, that is one bothersome thing I found in this thread. The other was tossing in Franco for direct comparisons.

ivysaur12

Banned
You're implying that person is a victim (which is very well may end up being). Right now you have a couple PR statements. That's it.

So, that is one bothersome thing I found in this thread. The other was tossing in Franco for direct comparisons.

That statement assumes that even if Bryan did have sex with this kid, it's okay because this kid should've known better than to fly with him to Hawaii.

What about that isn't victim blaming?

anaron

Or you know, you could hope that none of this is true and that no one has been raped. Because that's the best outcome we should be hoping for.
Considering that most victims in these cases are smeared and treated like liars from the get go, I'm not sure that's the best position to take.

kirblar

32 year old hollywood director is flying out a 17 year old to have sex with in a state where it's legal

Nothing weird about that, obviously
And hanging out with people who have been convicted of doing the exact same thing. Totally normal behavior that most people engage in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom