• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

Harpua

Hooked up my 65 inch ks8000 yesterday and played Titanfall 2 on my launch xbox one. Thing shat all over my old 1080p tv. I couldnt believe how good the image was and how everything just looked better. Honestly amazed at how much better my games look on the newer tv and this is with the old xbox one. Take your time. When you decide to make the jump it will be worth it.

Was your old 1080p tv garbage? I would expect a worse image since I don't even think TF2 runs native 1080 on OG Xbone.

I like hearing it and hoping it's true. Trying to shed my buyers remorse. Impulse bought without a ton of research.

Man, the remote for the B6 is awful. is there even a button to see what resolution/mode your TV is in during broadcast or streaming (i.e. display button on any remote ever) and there seems to be no way to change input without bring up the menu bar.

I was stomped on this for a minute too. To see what resolution you are broadcasting at make sure your pointer appears on the screen by hitting the * for settings. This should pull up quick settings on the right of the screen. Hit X to close. Now hit the middle button (main button on remote). Should show your service provider in the top left of the screen. Hit it again and you will see resolution, HDR, etc

ZOONAMI

Was your old 1080p tv garbage? I would expect a worse image since I don't even think TF2 runs native 1080 on OG Xbone.

I like hearing it and hoping it's true. Trying to shed my buyers remorse. Impulse bought without a ton of research.

You're having buyers remose and you don't even have the ks8000 yet? I'm sure you'll be happy once you have it.

I went from an lg plasma to a pansonic 2014 4k and I was happy. Went to a hisense h8c because the 65 inch panny took over my living room in my apartment I moved too. Still happy. Iq is honestly better on a $500 set vs an $1800 one from 2 years ago. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the iq on the ks8000.

spannicus

Nah not garbage at all actually didnt wanna change it. Always got compliments on how good the image looked. The new tv just looks better. Tf2 looks way better. No bs

dcassell

Banned
I got that Best Buy LG OLED for $399 and there's no noticeable input lag, especially when set to game. Amazing TV

You sure it was an OLED? I got an LG LED tv there that's 4k for $400 last week (This one specifically) and it's been an amazing set. It advertised HDR on the box, and is compatible with it, but I don't think it's "true" HDR. Still though, the colors are brilliant and the blacks are surprisingly good with the HDR feature turned on. Input lag is also not noticeable for me, and most of my gaming is done on PC. Compared to my previous set (which was 1080i and had input lag of 150ms+), this is a godsend. 4k games on my pc look incredible when I hook it up in the living room. Power draw is a little high (~$29 a year compared to 10 for some models), but it doesn't put off nearly as much heat as a plasma screen. I'm pretty picky, but have been happy with the purchase. I'd recommend it to people who are jumping up from significantly older TVs (720p etc.), but people who have been riding the fancy TV train for years might not be as impressed. It'll be $400 on black friday at Best Buy again.

Harpua

You're having buyers remose and you don't even have the ks8000 yet? I'm sure you'll be happy once you have it.

I went from an lg plasma to a pansonic 2014 4k and I was happy. Went to a hisense h8c because the 65 inch panny took over my living room in my apartment I moved too. Still happy. Iq is honestly better on a $500 set vs an $1800 one from 2 years ago. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the iq on the ks8000.

Nah not garbage at all actually didnt wanna change it. Always got compliments on how good the image looked. The new tv just looks better. Tf2 looks way better. No bs

I feel better. I came close to cancelling this morning. Thanks guys.

Just got delivery confirmation on the pro so I have an opportunity to see how it looks on my plasma vs the KS8000 when it arrives.

I was thinking of getting a new TV during the black friday sales and have a couple of queries:

Would I be right in thinking the Samsung KS7000 in the UK, is called KS8000 in the US. Also is it generally a safe choice in terms of how future proof it is?

Also, what can I expect when watching regular Blu Rays on such a TV, will it upscale to 4K and will I see the benefits of HDR, or will it only be games, streaming and 4K Blu Rays that see the benefit?

Weevilone

You sure it was an OLED? I got an LG LED tv there that's 4k for $400 last week (This one specifically) and it's been an amazing set. It advertised HDR on the box, and is compatible with it, but I don't think it's "true" HDR. Still though, the colors are brilliant and the blacks are surprisingly good with the HDR feature turned on. Input lag is also not noticeable for me, and most of my gaming is done on PC. Compared to my previous set (which was 1080i and had input lag of 150ms+), this is a godsend. 4k games on my pc look incredible when I hook it up in the living room. Power draw is a little high (~$29 a year compared to 10 for some models), but it doesn't put off nearly as much heat as a plasma screen. I'm pretty picky, but have been happy with the purchase. I'd recommend it to people who are jumping up from significantly older TVs (720p etc.), but people who have been riding the fancy TV train for years might not be as impressed. It'll be $400 on black friday at Best Buy again.

There's no way it was OLED. If Best Buy was blowing out 55" OLED displays for $400, my office would look like NASA mission command.

Madness

Never doubt the image quality of 4k and HDR vs 1080p. 1080p content will look similar to what you see now however the goal is 4k and hdr gaming. Once you see it you cannot go back just like you couldn't go back from 720p/1080i/1080p to 480i/p.

Every sunday I watch NFL on my tv and just get depressed at how garbage cable and satellite 720p/1080i NFL looks. Now that youtube is adding HDR and UHD blu-rays are coming fast and heavy, you can really see the sets shine.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Would KS8000 be a good upgrade from a Panasonic Plasma?

dcassell

Banned
There's no way it was OLED. If Best Buy was blowing out 55" OLED displays for $400, my office would look like NASA mission command.

That's definitely what I figured given the post. Refurbished, open-box OLEDs at my location were a minimum $1200. I figured the TV I linked was what the original poster bought.

Weevilone

Would KS8000 be a good upgrade from a Panasonic Plasma?

I think it just depends on what you value. If you love your deep blacks, lack of DSE and uniformity issues, lack of backlight bleed, perfect motion... you might be disappointed.

If you crave a brighter display, higher resolution, cleaner overall image, HDR, some newer smart apps, lower input lag. lack of ABL... you might be in for a good upgrade.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was thinking of getting a new TV during the black friday sales and have a couple of queries:

Would I be right in thinking the Samsung KS7000 in the UK, is called KS8000 in the US. Also is it generally a safe choice in terms of how future proof it is?

Also, what can I expect when watching regular Blu Rays on such a TV, will it upscale to 4K and will I see the benefits of HDR, or will it only be games, streaming and 4K Blu Rays that see the benefit?

It's a safe choice as a relatively affordable set that still offers good 4K and HDR support. I think Samsung have said they'll also update it when dynamic metadata comes along next year,so that's a reassurance

meanspartan

Ok got my Ps4 Pro and while I was going to just ride it out a couple more years with my 40 inch Samsung 1080p TV, the 4k itch is real.

I have a series of noob questions for anyone kind enough to answer-

1. I remember when 4k TVs were new some of them only ran at 30hz. Is this a concern today still? I think if I just research what I am buying, it should be fine right?

2. Do I need a different HDMI cable?

3. Most of my content for the forseeable future will be mostly 1080p or even 720p (TV broadcast). Will those look like shit on a 4k TV? Before I bought an upscaler, my old consoles looked like shit on HD tvs....

4. With a budget of up to $600, is there anything I can buy at around 44-50 inches? I'm down for black friday sales, but I won't wait in line for doorbusters.

5. HDR, should I make it a priority too?

6. With all the above in mind, feel free to give me recommendations :)

Cross posting from the other Sony thread:

I'm currently looking at the KD43xd8005, or at least I hope. I'm based in the Netherlands, so I went by the shop to check out this one today: https://www.mediamarkt.nl/nl/produc...ble=e8485.MTQzNDkxNQ&rbtc=twe|pf|1434915||p||

I think that's supposed to be this one: http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d
Except when I went to the store to check it out, there was a tag next to it saying it has no HDR support. Mediamarkt employees were being their usual unhelpful self, so I left confused.
Can anyone from the Netherlands share his experience if they bought this TV there? Am I looking at the right one to begin with?
(I mean it must be, tweakers website says it supports HDR10 https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/573863/sony-bravia-kd-43xd8005-zwart/specificaties/ )

I really want to be sure I get the right one to get the most out of my pro.

Any help would be appreciated!

Crumpo

what can I expect when watching regular Blu Rays on such a TV, will it upscale to 4K and will I see the benefits of HDR, or will it only be games, streaming and 4K Blu Rays that see the benefit?

I'm looking at a new tv and just got back from richer sounds...it's a toss up between the ks7000 or the panasonic 750b for me. What's cheapest on BF will probably swing it.

For HD content there is some upscaling but from what I've read it doesn't make a big difference...it won't look like 4k content, even the compressed netflix stuff.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm looking at a new tv and just got back from richer sounds...it's a toss up between the ks7000 or the panasonic 750b for me. What's cheapest on BF will probably swing it.

For HD content there is some upscaling but from what I've read it doesn't make a big difference...it won't look like 4k content, even the compressed netflix stuff.

Ks7000 with a half price UHD bluray player too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone own the LG B6? I would love to read some NeoGAF user impressions.

The 55" model is what I'm eyeing as a purchase right now.

edit: hmm, now I'm reading that the LG OLEDs don't play nice with the PS4 Pro and require some workarounds to behave properly. I'm also reading that the nits aren't that high and there is some automatic backlight dimming that reduces the effect of HDR. Maybe I don't want this TV after all.

What's the best Sony set right now for around $2,000 and in the 47" or higher range?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's the difference between the Sony xd8005 and the xd8577? Last two digits should just be colour/stand so it's the 0 vs 5. In richer sounds it's £889 for the 55" 8005, or £999 for the 55" 8577

MastAndo

Man, receiving a damaged TV really screwed me up mentally. I had nightmares that my next TV will be messed up too, lol. It's killing that enjoyment of anticipation you get from a big purchase like this.

Just how fragile are sets like the KS8000? I mean, can you crack the screen holding it wrong while moving it to the stand? The bezel is so thin, can't figure how to move it without putting at least a little pressure on the screen itself. it's admittedly a bit nerve-wracking moving it by yourself.

Lady Gaia

Just how fragile are sets like the KS8000? I mean, can you crack the screen holding it wrong while moving it to the stand? The bezel is so thin, can't figure how to move it without putting at least a little pressure on the screen itself. it's admittedly a bit nerve-wracking moving it by yourself.

I wouldn't want to move even the 55" set on my own. Just a little torquing could be enough to create problems. Be very careful with two people and you won't have any issues.

I feel better. I came close to cancelling this morning. Thanks guys.

Just got delivery confirmation on the pro so I have an opportunity to see how it looks on my plasma vs the KS8000 when it arrives.

you'll be happy. i just set up my ks8000, and i love my 65 panny plasma in the living room.

I believe that's a variation of the 6100, which is a rgbw panel.

Strangely, the uh5500 series is an rgb panel and reviews are much better. The uh5500 can also be had for very cheap. It just has pretty bad input lag and doesn't get very bright, and isn't 90% of dci-p3.

It would work decently with a ps4 I would think though as long as you aren't really sensitive to input lag. Best cheaper 4k sets are hisense h8c, Samsung 6300, and Sony x800d. Sony is most expensive but has the widest color gamut support.

i agree with zoonami. I've watched movies and played games on both the samsung and hisense, and they are very nice for the price.

Weevilone

edit: hmm, now I'm reading that the LG OLEDs don't play nice with the PS4 Pro and require some workarounds to behave properly. I'm also reading that the nits aren't that high and there is some automatic backlight dimming that reduces the effect of HDR. Maybe I don't want this TV after all.

What's the best Sony set right now for around $2,000 and in the 47" or higher range?

Please enlighten us, what are the issues with the LG OLED displays and the PS4 Pro? A lot of people here have them and aren't having any issues.

Regarding the OLED issues you mentioned, there is no perfect TV, nor perfect TV technology. It just doesn't exist. You do your research and decide which issues you can live with, and which you can't.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Please enlighten us, what are the issues with the LG OLED displays and the PS4 Pro? A lot of people here have them and aren't having any issues.

Regarding the OLED issues you mentioned, there is no perfect TV, nor perfect TV technology. It just doesn't exist. You do your research and decide which issues you can live with, and which you can't.

I don't own one, so I don't know for sure, but I saw some mumblings on the Internet in my searching efforts, particularly this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Pro/comments/5ccpr7/important_everyone_should_know_that_ps_pro_has/

No idea how true it is.

Is it true that Samsung has by far the lowest input lag when it comes to sub-$2,000 4K TVs? That seems to be what I'm seeing from the various comparison sites.

Don't let the issues some are having with the Pro stop you. there is a workaround until the patch comes out....which LG said would be before the end of the month. Also, someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not sure you can compare OLED nits to LED nits. B6 has three different modes of HDR. The standard mode is a bit dark but the other two are just as bright as my Samsung 6300 set. I was on the fence with this set. Now I'm so glad I decided to go ahead and get it.

Lady Gaia

What TV tech for HDR is on the horizon that the KS8000 can't do?

Want to buy a 4K set over Black Friday but it's either buy now or wait a year....

Dolby Vision isn't supported and requires specific licensing so it can't be patched in, but it's also not clear that the standard is going to take off since it's clearly aimed at being revenue producing for Dolby Labs and less clear that it has signficisnt benefits for today's display technology.

I weighed the options and decided to jump in with the KS8000. I would have felt differently with a dedicated light-controlled media room where OLED's pristine black levels are going to shine. We simply have too many uncontrolled reflections during daylight hours to properly appreciate true blacks.

Weevilone

I don't own one, so I don't know for sure, but I saw some mumblings on the Internet in my searching efforts, particularly this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Pro/comments/5ccpr7/important_everyone_should_know_that_ps_pro_has/

No idea how true it is.

Is it true that Samsung has by far the lowest input lag when it comes to sub-$2,000 4K TVs? That seems to be what I'm seeing from the various comparison sites.

It must be specific to the B6 (or at least exclude the E6), but the link you provided says a patch is already in process from LG, and there is a current workaround. I wouldn't let this type of thing worry too much.

Samsung is known for the input lag being low, so if you can live with the issues those displays have, and that's important.. go for it.

inner-G

Banned
Ok got my Ps4 Pro and while I was going to just ride it out a couple more years with my 40 inch Samsung 1080p TV, the 4k itch is real.

I have a series of noob questions for anyone kind enough to answer-

1. I remember when 4k TVs were new some of them only ran at 30hz. Is this a concern today still? I think if I just research what I am buying, it should be fine right?

2. Do I need a different HDMI cable?

3. Most of my content for the forseeable future will be mostly 1080p or even 720p (TV broadcast). Will those look like shit on a 4k TV? Before I bought an upscaler, my old consoles looked like shit on HD tvs....

4. With a budget of up to $600, is there anything I can buy at around 44-50 inches? I'm down for black friday sales, but I won't wait in line for doorbusters.

5. HDR, should I make it a priority too?

6. With all the above in mind, feel free to give me recommendations :)
A lot of folks in this thread are looking at really high end stuff like the ks8000 and LG OLEDs

For your budget, I'd recommend checking out the Samsung ku6300 or 6290. Really good bang for the buck with low lag. It also upscales from 720/1080 quite well.

meanspartan

A lot of folks in this thread are looking at really high end stuff like the ks8000 and LG OLEDs

For your budget, I'd recommend checking out the Samsung ku6300 or 6290. Really good bang for the buck with low lag. It also upscales from 720/1080 quite well.

Awesome, thank you!

Madness

What TV tech for HDR is on the horizon that the KS8000 can't do?

Want to buy a 4K set over Black Friday but it's either buy now or wait a year....

Nothing much beyond refined HDR experiences. UHD Premium is HDR10 spec and all UHD Blu-ray are required to be HDR10. Dolby Vision is better. But HDR10 will be the baseline standard going forward. HDR12 might become the new standard and HDMI 2.1 with dynamic metadata is coming.

Awesome, thank you!

43" X800D by Sony would fit your size and budget requirements.

yoplay

Yo yo. How anemic is the Tizen TV 2.0 os? Does it have Starz Play, Showtime, etc?

Can you control the inputs on AV receivers for both Web OS 3.0 and Tizen TV 2.0?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can't help the making that OLED is less suited to HDR than led due to the lack of brightness. I'm sure it probably isn't, but I difficult to get past that peak nits level. I know for OLED you need lower blacks so overall contrast is still as good (or better), but if LCD needs > 1000 nits and OLED only 500, isn't at going to be a more noticeable difference than 0.05 vs 0.0005 black level? Especially on those LCD TVs that have lower than that black level through local dimming.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just looked up my current TV (LG 47" le5400 2010 model) and discovered that it might have something around 120ms input lag, which sounds insane. If I've been gaming on that, then going down to even 50 ~ 70 ms that the LG B6/E6 models seem to currently have, it will seem like a huge upgrade.

Now I just need to determine between the B6 or E6 and try to find the best deal.

yoplay

I just looked up my current TV (LG 47" le5400 2010 model) and discovered that it might have something around 120ms input lag, which sounds insane. If I've been gaming on that, then going down to even 50 ~ 70 ms that the LG B6/E6 models seem to currently have, it will seem like a huge upgrade.

Now I just need to determine between the B6 or E6 and try to find the best deal.

Thats how i feel. I gamed on the PNF8500 without game mode or "PC" input. Last i heard, that tv was in the 90 ms. That's why I am a bit hesitant to open the KS8000 tomorrow.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I thought the B6 is 38-51ms (oddly variable) with the recent update? At least in 4K/HDR

The KS8000 is out of my budget but I can easily buy the KU7000. Read some reviews and the main complaint seems to be about the HDR functionality. I'm not very knowledgeable about what that is, so am quite confused right now. Anyone here own this TV? Would love some informed opinions.

I thought the B6 is 38-51ms (oddly variable) with the recent update? At least in 4K/HDR

55' LG OLEDB6P ($1499)
1080p @ 60Hz 44.4ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 61.0ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ HDR 58.0ms - 71.0ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 @ HDR 54.9ms - 70.7ms
4k @ 60Hz 43.2ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 59.8ms
4k @ 60Hz @ HDR 38.2ms - 54.5ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 @ HDR 38.8ms - 54.7ms

Top Bottom