• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

DBT85

So despite having an email from currys saying my replacement will be here today and also talking to someone on the phone who said it would be here today, its now apparently coming on Tuesday. Unreal.

On hold waiting to talk to someone.

EDIT: they've managed to change it to tomorrow.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Went to PC Richard yesterday so I could stare at the Sony X930 and X850 and see if theres any difference to my old tired eyes. Maybe save a few hundred bucks if things like "local dimming" are something I even notice.

Both TVs are connected up with component cables and some splitter box where this demo fruit video is stored. Walked right out of the store.

Take in a USB stick with 4K and HDR demos on it

Ok....Narrowed it down to Samsung KS8000 and Sony XBR930D

I know Samsung is one of the most highly recommended but been looking at some comparisons and it mostly seems to be due to price. 930 seems to edge out the Samsung in picture quality and black levels, can anyone confirm?

Ok....Narrowed it down to Samsung KS8000 and Sony XBR930D

I know Samsung is one of the most highly recommended but been looking at some comparisons and it mostly seems to be due to price. 930 seems to edge out the Samsung in picture quality and black levels, can anyone confirm?

From what I've seen from sites like HDtvtest.co.uk, Rtings and AVSforums it seems like they're pretty close. The main differences are.

Samsung
Smart Remote
Better contrast ratio
Higher peak brightness
Better input lag ~40ms better
Slightly Wider color gamut
Cheaper

Sony
3D
Better Local Dimming
Better pixel response
1080p@120hz!!!!

For most gamers it's hard to recommend the Sony over the Samsung. However, 1080p@120hz is really nice for those using it as a monitor. I wish more manufacturers did this. Some of the benefits are kind of offset by the increased lag though unfortunately.

From what I've seen from sites like HDtvtest.co.uk, Rtings and AVSforums it seems like they're pretty close. The main differences are.

Samsung
Smart Remote
Better contrast ratio
Higher peak brightness
Cheaper

Sony
3D
Better Local Dimming
Better pixel response
1080p@120hz!!!!

For most gamers it's hard to recommend the Sony over the Samsung. However, 1080p@120hz is really nice for those using it as a monitor. I wish more manufacturers did this. Some of the benefits are kind of offset by the increased lag though unfortunately.
oh cool...I thought a firmware patch was released for the Sony one that reduced the lag, either way, this is a great reference for me. Tks a lot.

Even if I wait until next year, I will likely stay with these two lines for my 4K set, I looked at OLED, and I didn't see such a massive difference with image quality over these two sets, just had better blacks.

oh cool...I thought a firmware patch was released for the Sony one that reduced the lag, either way, this is a great reference for me. Tks a lot.

Even if I wait until next year, I will likely stay with these two lines for my 4K set, I looked at OLED, and I didn't see such a massive difference with image quality over these two sets, just had better blacks.

Could well be, I can't really find any info on it though.

Could well be, I can't really find any info on it though.
tsk buddy, I also have a monitor I play stuff like Street Fighter on, so the difference in lag isn't really that big of a deal unless its really drastic, i play mostly single player games. Leaning towards the Samsung still because of brightness, but contrast is also a big deal, still going back and forth lol.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

from rtings.com who apparantly have updated the figures based on the firmware update on 2nd Nov:

Sony 55XD930D
1080p @ 60Hz Show Help : 36.2 ms
1080p With Interpolation Show Help : 67.0 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode Show Help : 71.7 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : 36.2 ms
4k @ 60Hz Show Help : 59.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : 59.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR Show Help : 58.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR Show Help : 58.5 ms

Samsung 55KS8000:
1080p @ 60Hz Show Help : 20.9 ms
1080p With Interpolation Show Help : 118.9 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode Show Help : 113.5 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : 37.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz Show Help : 22.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : 37.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR Show Help : 21.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR Show Help : 37.6 ms

so for 1080p game mode (or with interpolation and other processing turned off), the sony is around 15ms slower. For 4k/HDR, about 21ms slower.

from rtings.com who apparantly have updated the figures based on the firmware update on 2nd Nov:

Sony 55XD930D
1080p @ 60Hz Show Help : 36.2 ms
1080p With Interpolation Show Help : 67.0 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode Show Help : 71.7 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : 36.2 ms
4k @ 60Hz Show Help : 59.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : 59.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR Show Help : 58.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR Show Help : 58.5 ms

Samsung 55KS8000:
1080p @ 60Hz Show Help : 20.9 ms
1080p With Interpolation Show Help : 118.9 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode Show Help : 113.5 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : 37.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz Show Help : 22.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : 37.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR Show Help : 21.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR Show Help : 37.6 ms

so for 1080p game mode (or with interpolation and other processing turned off), the sony is around 15ms slower. For 4k/HDR, about 21ms slower.

4k 60 @4:4:4 HDR Isn't really a thing though due to bandwidth limitations. What's the use case there?

Or is there technically an 8 bit HDR?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
4k 60 @4:4:4 HDR Isn't really a thing though due to bandwidth limitations. What's the use case there?

that one does confuse me, as I didnt' think it was a thing either - maybe its actually 4k/HDR/4:2:0 but they miswrote it?

EvB

Both PS4 and Xbox-One S are doing 8-Bit HDR.
There is probably quite a good chance the Pro is too.

Because the HDR component sits entirely on the TV processing, the console just needs to present the image in a stsndadardised format, perhaps with a flat gamma curve. The TV then processes said image to work with local dimming etc to produce the HDR image.

Take in a USB stick with 4K and HDR demos on it

I'm a little torn now.
Taking the time to read through this thread it seems like these Sony's aren't the way to go. I really don't like the aesthetics of this KS8000 everyone is excited about. That stand it sits on (US) looks pretty dumb. Maybe I'll go look at it in person.

I'm a little torn now.
Taking the time to read through this thread it seems like these Sony's aren't the way to go. I really don't like the aesthetics of this KS8000 everyone is excited about. That stand it sits on (US) looks pretty dumb. Maybe I'll go look at it in person.

Honestly it's kind of whatever for me once it's up. Mines on the wall. What I really want is more FALD TV's and input for 120hz. I'll take a stupidly gat TV if I can get that. Give me display port 1.4 TV!

Or hurry up an upgrade HDMI already.

Hostile_18

Banned
Can anyone please recommend a tv stand for the 65" KS7000 please? Looks like the legs for nearly all the way across so I have to get this right lol (UK).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can anyone please recommend a tv stand for the 65" KS7000 please? Looks like the legs for nearly all the way across so I have to get this right lol (UK).

You mean a bench/tv unit to put the tv on, or a replacement for the wide legs (because you can get those too)

MazeHaze

Banned

Samsung
Smart Remote
Better contrast ratio
Higher peak brightness
Cheaper

Sony
3D
Better Local Dimming
Better pixel response
1080p@120hz!!!!

I wouldn't let the 120hz sway you, sony TVS have weird artifacting when you force 120hz, its like snow all over the screen of little horizontal white lines that flicker on and off. You can mostly eliminate it by setting a custome resolution of like 90hz, but eh.

Oogedei

Where do you live? If you are in Europe then anything KS7xxx or higher is good. If in the US, the anything KS8xxx or higher (EU KS7000 = US KS8000. Go figure)

Are you sure? I mean here in Germany there is a KS7090, a KS8090 and a KS9090 model (it's just a curved KS8090).

Crumpo

You mean a bench/tv unit to put the tv on, or a replacement for the wide legs (because you can get those too)

Replacement legs, you say? I really want the ks7000 but am stuck with either the ks8000 or panasonic 750b due to those stupid legs.

Are the alternate legs sold by Samsung, or third parties?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I went ahead and bought the LG B6 55" last night after seeing it in person at Best Buy. I was considering the E6 for the "picture on glass" look that reviews raved about, but it didn't look particularly better to my eyes.

The picture on this thing is insane. I've used it for only a few hours and still need to do a lot of tweaking, but I'm very impressed. It's too bad I need to disable HDCP 2.0 on the PS4 Pro to get it to play nice right now until a patch is issued, but that at least doesn't affect games.

So... does anyone have any recommendations for a good UHD Blu-ray player with proper HDR support (HDR10/Dolby)? I'm considering an Xbox One S, but I would rather hold out for the Scorpio for Xbox gaming. Is it good value as an HDR compatible Blu-ray player or are there better standalones on the market?

Saladinoo

Soooo I want to upgrade to a ~40" TV from my 2006 720p Bravia.

My budget is around £400 and there are basically two entry level 4k TV's that fit right now, a 40" Samsung UE40KU6400U and a 43" LG 43UH668V.

I'm not too worried about the extra 3 inches on the LG, are either Samsung / LG known to have better 4k TV's?

I'm not sure about pulling the plug on 4k - What I mean by that is, 4k is relatively in its infancy, so will the cheap implementation of 4k compromise on the actual quality of the picture - would I be better served by buying a 1080p instead, obviously it won't have the resolution but if they have an amazing picture quality maybe it would be worth it.

Now, I really want HDR, I think it looks incredible but to get 10-bit HDR requires at least £600 and I don't think I can justify it. These two TV's have 8-bit HDR, obviously it's not going to be as good, but is it a decent jump over non-HDR or is it pretty much worthless?

So I finally got my refund from that third party seller through Amazon and placed an order to Best Buy for the same price. It should be arriving on the 23rd. There was no option for a store pick up so i pretty much had no choice. Man, I really hope my KS8000 doesn't come damaged again.

ZOONAMI

Grabbed a ps4 pro yesterday for my h8c. Titanfall 2 looks and runs awesome! Haven't tried ratchet or tlou yet.

Running auto everything, ps4 shows 2160p, rgb, support for hdr 4k and 2k.

DBT85

Lol. My TV is now coming on Tuesday again. I go back to work on Saturday morning for 9 days. fml.

Nice email sent to the Currys customer services department.

Utter shite.

CaLe

I live in Canada, and I have about 1200$ CAD to spent.

I'm looking for a TV that has HDR. I assume there's no way I can afford a 65" model ? If not, then I might get the XDK43X800D and use it as a PC monitor instead of a living room TV, and connect the PS4 Pro to it.

spannicus

Has anyone who bought a set on Samsung's site have it ship yet? How long from order confirmation? Thanks
Usually ships before they update the website info. Ordered on saturday came on wednsday website didnt update until it was a day away. If it takes longer it may be backordered.

Clockwork

Has anyone who bought a set on Samsung's site have it ship yet? How long from order confirmation? Thanks

I ordered mine on the 14th. It shipped on the 15th. Site says it won't be delivered until the 22nd. I had to call them to give them my phone number so they can contact me for delivery.

Weevilone

I went ahead and bought the LG B6 55" last night after seeing it in person at Best Buy. I was considering the E6 for the "picture on glass" look that reviews raved about, but it didn't look particularly better to my eyes.

The E6 looks the same as B6 in terms of image quality. Some people like the aesthetic of the E series better is all. The E has 3D and a soundbar that's better, which are reasons to choose it.

I have the E6 but don't really like the picture on glass thing. It's unnerving to transport, even around the room. I also just would rather have a traditional frame around the image for practical reasons.

Usually ships before they update the website info. Ordered on saturday came on wednsday website didnt update until it was a day away. If it takes longer it may be backordered.

Ah okay, thanks.

I ordered mine on the 14th. It shipped on the 15th. Site says it won't be delivered until the 22nd. I had to call them to give them my phone number so they can contact me for delivery.

Did you do the regular or white gloves delivery?

Lexxism

I live in Canada, and I have about 1200$ CAD to spent.

I'm looking for a TV that has HDR. I assume there's no way I can afford a 65" model ? If not, then I might get the XDK43X800D and use it as a PC monitor instead of a living room TV, and connect the PS4 Pro to it.
That one is already sold out.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Long time lurker....first time poster. (my first post and I blew it....wrong thread. Very sorry ladies and gents)

I purchased the LG 6030 (55') at Microcenter and was extremely pleased with the quality of it. I also picked up a PS4 Pro and with this unit I have the HDCP 1.4 black screen issue.

I read all the positive press and reviews on the Samsung SK8000 (also 55') so I got one of those as well.

My setup:
I use the display as my office computer monitor with my ps 4 pro connected as well.
My pc is extremely beefy and am using Nvidia1080 as video card.

With the LG I spent a very long time tweaking the picture settings for my PC and PS4Pro. Outside of the subpar depth of the color on the LG (and HDCP 1.4 issue) everything else about the unit preforms great for a 55' $450 UHDR TV.

Then I got the Samsung unit (today). Quickly did basic setup.....and was amazed at the difference. The Samsung unit is stunning.

My issue: Motion blur on the Samsung while playing PC games is extremely bad. LG performs flawlessly.

I have turned off the trumotion 240 settings with the Samsung and still have really poor performance (with game mode as well).

PS4 Pro Preforms great on the Samsung.....am I missing something?

Long time lurker....first time poster. (my first post and I blew it....wrong thread. Very sorry ladies and gents)

I purchased the LG 6030 (55') at Microcenter and was extremely pleased with the quality of it. I also picked up a PS4 Pro and with this unit I have the HDCP 1.4 black screen issue.

I read all the positive press and reviews on the Samsung SK8000 (also 55') so I got one of those as well.

My setup:
I use the display as my office computer monitor with my ps 4 pro connected as well.
My pc is extremely beefy and am using Nvidia1080 as video card.

With the LG I spent a very long time tweaking the picture settings for my PC and PS4Pro. Outside of the subpar depth of the color on the LG (and HDCP 1.4 issue) everything else about the unit preforms great for a 55' $450 UHDR TV.

Then I got the Samsung unit (today). Quickly did basic setup.....and was amazed at the difference. The Samsung unit is stunning.

My issue: Motion blur on the Samsung while playing PC games is extremely bad. LG performs flawlessly.

I have turned off the trumotion 240 settings with the Samsung and still have really poor performance (with game mode as well).

PS4 Pro Preforms great on the Samsung.....am I missing something?

odd... what are your settings and modes? I've been using mine for PC games and haven't noticed any significant blur.

I wouldn't let the 120hz sway you, sony TVS have weird artifacting when you force 120hz, its like snow all over the screen of little horizontal white lines that flicker on and off. You can mostly eliminate it by setting a custome resolution of like 90hz, but eh.

Oh that's still an issue :/

Why is it so hard for TV manufacturers to allow a 120hz input on a 120hz panel!?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
odd... what are your settings and modes? I've been using mine for PC games and haven't noticed any significant blur.

On the PC my resolution is set to 3840x2160 60hz

Picture mode: Game
Picture Size 16:9 Standard
Expert Settings: (only ones adjusted here were true 240hrz and sharpness)
Backlight 14
Brightness 45
Contrast 100
Sharpness 0
Color 50
Tint G50 R50
Digital Clean View Off
Auto Motion Plus Off
Smart LED High
Film Mode Off
HDMI UHD Color (off for this input)
HDMI Black Level Auto
Dynamic Contrast Medium
Color Tone Standard
White Balance
Gamma 0
RGB Only Mode Off
Color Space Native

sasliquid

Enjoying my Sony XD8088 with my pro but it says I may have to change settings to run a game in 4k and HDR at the same time. Anyone know how?

MastAndo

Samsung is being a pain in the butt and not shipping my replacement 55KS8000 order in a timely fashion, nor can they tell me when it will ship. Sure, I'm being impatient, but screw that - I cancelled the order and just paid the regular $1000 price to have PC Richard bring it to my place tomorrow (free next day delivery on a Sunday!), open and and check it, and haul it away if this one is busted too. You can't put a dollar amount on peace of mind, I suppose.

Apparently though, my HSBC Platinum MC has a price protection feature as well, so I'm going to see if they'll refund me the difference from the EPP price like another person here did with a Discover card.

Definitely excited that I might just finally have a functioning KS8000 set tomorrow...fingers crossed!

lt519

Samsung is being a pain in the butt and not shipping my replacement 55KS8000 order in a timely fashion, nor can they tell me when it will ship. Sure, I'm being impatient, but screw that - I cancelled the order and just paid the regular $1000 price to have PC Richard bring it to my place tomorrow (free next day delivery on a Sunday!), open and and check it, and haul it away if this one is busted too. You can't put a dollar amount on peace of mind, I suppose.

Apparently though, my HSBC Platinum MC has a price protection feature as well, so I'm going to see if they'll refund me the difference from the EPP price like another person here did with a Discover card.

Definitely excited that I might just finally have a functioning KS8000 set tomorrow...fingers crossed!

Good luck! Been rooting for you. My advice for price matching is to take screenshots of the product page and the product in your cart with your phone. It doesn't show the EPP logo on mobile. I sent 4 captures in, the two I mentioned, and then two more on Android with my toolbar pulled slightly down so you could see the date.

MastAndo

Good luck! Been rooting for you. My advice for price matching is to take screenshots of the product page and the product in your cart with your phone. It doesn't show the EPP logo on mobile. I sent 4 captures in, the two I mentioned, and then two more on Android with my toolbar pulled slightly down so you could see the date.
Thanks, man! I'll give that a shot. On a whim, I called PC Richard to try to price match, but when I told them they would have to log in to see the price, it was a no go for that reason.

So did you not tell Discover anything about having to log in to Samsung to see this discounted price, or about it being part of a corporate perks promotion?

Weevilone

Thanks, man! I'll give that a shot. On a whim, I called PC Richard to try to price match, but when I told them they would have to log in to see the price, it was a no go for that reason.

So did you not tell Discover anything about having to log in to Samsung to see this discounted price, or about it being part of a corporate perks promotion?

Discover stuff is handled through an insurance company so you just send them screenshots and such. You would send them as little as possible, no additional detail.

Top Bottom