• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

Lexxism

What's the difference between the Sony X750D with X850D? I'm currently looking at 750D, 850D and KS8000. Just worried on KS8000 back panel.

ZOONAMI

So yeah I picked up a ps4 pro. ratchet, tlou, and titanfall 2 all look straight up amazing.

Ratchet looks better than any pc game I have. Have a 1070 rig hooked up to my tv.

0 jaggies and his fur is legit insane. Colors and shadows and everything just pops.

Might have to pick up uc4.

ta9qi

didnt find any KS8000 in my country (Oman in middle east), but there was a KS8500 and a KS9500
the price for the 8500 is ~1948$, i think being curve is the only difference between the two of them?
so is it worth it?
our TV prices are so high cus they know we cant order them through online :(
i sold my lg 4k (very basic one) to upgrade, and now its been 2 days without any TV @@
PS: also it seems LG B6 is not coming here too
but theres a sony ku-x8000d, is it the same model that is xbr-x800d but for middle east?

Lady Gaia

didnt find any KS8000 in my country (Oman in middle east), but there was a KS8500 and a KS9500 the price for the 8500 is ~1948$, i think being curve is the only difference between the two of them?

The 8000 and 8500 are identical except for the curve. Ditto the 9000 and 9500. According to most reviews the 9000/9500 are the same panel technology as the 8000/8500 with different cosmetics, and it's possible they have a stricter qualification process but I haven't seen any reviews that cite compelling reasons to spend the extra $.

so is it worth it?

Only you can answer that, but we're very happy with our KS8000s.

Thinking about biting on the 49" KS8000 before midnight and picking it up tomorrow but not sure if there will be a better deal during BF week.

Is their a huge difference between the 49" and the 55" in terms of size? Not sure if its worth the extra 100+ for a few inches. Also, would you guys save some and get the Sony 49X800D or this TV?

lt519

Thanks, man! I'll give that a shot. On a whim, I called PC Richard to try to price match, but when I told them they would have to log in to see the price, it was a no go for that reason.

So did you not tell Discover anything about having to log in to Samsung to see this discounted price, or about it being part of a corporate perks promotion?

Yeah it's a third party company that runs the price match. They have no clue about anything you've done with discover. You start a claim and then submit the paperwork within 30 days. They ask zero questions and only require your original purchase receipt, credit card statement, and dated copy of cheaper price. I literally did not speak a word with them. As someone above said, just send them some mobile screenshots without the employee login logo and you should be good.

Xamdou

So how does the Samsung UN65KS800DFXZA compare compare to the UN65K8000FXZA?

The Samsung UN65KS800DFXZA is a Costco Exclusive I believe.

Lady Gaia

So how does the Samsung UN65KS800DFXZA compare compare to the UN65K8000FXZA?

The Samsung UN65KS800DFXZA is a Costco Exclusive I believe.

You're absolutely correct. The only difference is the model number and the darker metallic finish on the 800D bezel, which I actually prefer. Our 65" is the Costco model, and our 55" is the normal variant. The feature set, picture quality, and user experience is identical.

chaosaeon

You're absolutely correct. The only difference is the model number and the darker metallic finish on the 800D bezel, which I actually prefer. Our 65" is the Costco model, and our 55" is the normal variant. The feature set, picture quality, and user experience is identical.

A steady hand and some paint and you can have whatever color bezel you want though right ? Hah.

I'm wondering if the bigger one would be worth it for me too. (for me it's $300 more though)
I was directed to this : http://www.displaywars.com/49-inch-16x9-vs-55-inch-16x9
Still conflicted.

I have a BJ membership and ended up getting it from there with free shipping. The 55-Inch that is, the difference was less than a hundred bucks comparing with getting the 49" from Best Buy.

Now I wait and hopefully the TV arrives intact. Anyone know if they use like some type of delivery and setup service or is it like ups or fedex?

chaosaeon

I have a BJ membership and ended up getting it from there with free shipping. The 55-Inch that is, the difference was less than a hundred bucks comparing with getting the 49" from Best Buy.

Now I wait and hopefully the TV arrives intact. Anyone know if they use like some type of delivery and setup service or is it like ups or fedex?
Yeah I'm in Canada, the lowest I've seen for the 55" is around $1650 after everything tallies up and you have to buy from the US. Buying from here it's 1800-2200.

I just picked up UN40KU6290 yesterday at Best Buy for $300. I am very pleased with it especially at $300, low input lag and HDR.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...&acampID=f8c57e48aeed11e6958952668cf65bc40INT

I got it 3 weeks ago for $330. I think it's a great budget set. It's also my first smart TV since since my last two HDTV's are kind of old now. Overall I'm very happy with it. It does the things you just mentioned and having Netflix and Youtube is convenient. On top of that it seems to play just about everything on my external hard drive.

Just picked up a Samsung 6290 I believe, no pro yet, so I turn on game mode and games just look awful, not sure whats up.

But unfortunately it does kind of look like ass in game mode. I have a few Pro enhanced games like MWR and Infinite Warfare and I think they still look nice in 4k despite the drawbacks of game mode. Games won't look as nice as they could, but we just have to deal with it because you definitely don't want to play with 100+ ms of delay.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
I got it 3 weeks ago for $330. I think it's a great budget set. It's also my first smart TV since since I've been last two HDTV's are kind of old now. Overall I'm very happy with it. It does the things you just mentioned and having Netflix and Youtube is convenient. On top of that it seems to play just about everything on my external hard drive.

But unfortunately it does kind of look like ass in game mode. I have a few Pro enhanced games like MWR and Infinite Warfare and I think they still look nice in 4k despite the drawbacks of game mode. Games won't look as nice as they could, but we just have to deal with it because you definitely don't want to play with 100+ ms of delay.

I think it looks great in game mode with a few adjustments. Game mode does the same thing to my Vizio MC50-C1 which I could never get to look as good as the KU6290 does in game mode.

Tratorn

Is the KS9000 worth the $500 upgrade over the 8000 model?

No. It's basically paying $500 for the change in design. Users have already confirmed they use the same panels.

Is this really true?
Man, buying a new TV is really tough if you don't have much clue about the technical stuff, esspecially when the models even have different names in different countrys...

KS7000 (EU) / 7090 (germany) is 100% identical to the KS8000 in US, isn't it?
So I read in this forum the KS7090 only has a 8+2 bit (FRC) panel while the KS8090 and above have real 10 bit:

(sorry it is german-only, but they are normally a pretty good source)
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-116-55251.html

They also say you can't really see a difference on the screen between those two models so it doesn't seem to matter much, but I still would like to know that.

Anyways, if I have the choice between 65" KS7090 and 55" KS8090 for 100€ more, I should definitely go for the former, right?

Is this really true?
Anyways, if I have the choice between 65" KS7090 and 55" KS8090 for 100€ more, I should definitely go for the former, right?

Right - 8xxxx is mostly about second tuner, better speakers and some people say it has bit better back light - generally 7 series is best value in Samsung usually.

inner-G

Banned
I got it 3 weeks ago for $330. I think it's a great budget set. It's also my first smart TV since since my last two HDTV's are kind of old now. Overall I'm very happy with it. It does the things you just mentioned and having Netflix and Youtube is convenient. On top of that it seems to play just about everything on my external hard drive.

You need to re-do your picture settings once it's in game mode.

Ok I did the same since I heard the white glove service wasn't all that great, did you call UPS or Samsung?

Oh really, I ordered at night on the 18th, wonder if I will get it early next week. Did UPS just deliver at their regular time or did you have to schedule?

The samsung website still said "preparing for shipment", i wasnt expecting it to come that day. Dropped it off in the morning right when i was about to leave for work.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
john lewis and Richer sounds have both price matched Currys with the 55XD93 for £1499. Richer sounds seem to have stopped the soundbar offer, although I'm pretty sure their website yesterday said the offer was until the 22nd november

edit: trigger pulled on the 55XD93 from richer sounds at £1499 with the free soundbar (which will almost certainly get sold). should be in at the store by Wednesday but probably next weekend before I can get it home.

Been to IKEA today to get the wider TV bench so now I have a few days to get that all sorted and ready.

Zok310

Banned
Looking everywhere for a 40 inch set with HDR10, anybody?
I can afford up to $1000 but i just don't have the room/space for anything over 40 inches, i would literally have to find a new apartment.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If you were to compare the KS8000 to the top Vizio P thing, which is better for gaming?

As I understand it, unless you get the 65" Vizio, don't bother getting it, right? The panel is smaller sizes is different?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just want to say that I'm really impressed with the LG B6. I'm coming from a LCD (LED-lit) 1080p set from 2010 and everything about it just feels like a massive upgrade. I really love OLED technology and just how incredible the contrast and colors are on this set. It's really something to behold. Any 4K set looks great with the right content, of course, but comparing this set in the store to the LCD sets that were nearby, and there was just no contest for me. The combination of OLED, 4K, and HDR just creates an incredible picture.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
there were some posts for LED strips for bias lighting earlier - but are there some that can be powered from a 500mA USB port on the TV? Would be much neater if I didn't have even more cables snaking everywhere.

Mcdohl

I'm 90% convinced on KS8000 49inch.

If anyone finds some good Black Friday deal on the KS8000 please let the people know :)

Attrition

If you were to compare the KS8000 to the top Vizio P thing, which is better for gaming?

As I understand it, unless you get the 65" Vizio, don't bother getting it, right? The panel is smaller sizes is different?

It's unnecessarily confusing. The 55 P and the 60 M both are IPS panels. The other sizes are VA panels. So the VAs produce deeper blacks because they have better contrast. The IPSs have better off angle viewing. That is just the nature of the LCD panel technology. The Vizio also has full array local diming across their 2016 TVs which improves the black levels.

The Samsung is going to have over half the input lag of the Vizio. So from a gaming standpoint, if you care deeply about input lag, the KS8000 is your best bet. It is also cheaper.

One thing that is cool about what Samsung does for their TVs is that they include what they call a One Connect Box. Unlike most televisions. the Samsung does not have its inputs directly on the television. A seperate box, which has all the connections, plugs into the back of the TV. What makes this nice is that it allows Samsung to sell future One Connect Boxes with improvements that might otherwise require you to buy a whole new TV. For instance, when HDMI 2.1 comes out, they might sell an upgraded OCB that allows you to take advantage of dynamic metadata for HDR. With other brands that wouldn't be possible.

SpeedNut

So is the consensus at around $2k US and 65" to go for the Samsung KS8000 over the Sony 930D? I have a flip ton of Discover Cashback bonus I can redeem at Crutchfield ($80 redemption = $100 GC) so if I can get out the door under $2300 it's nothing out of pocket for me.

The no 3D and the higher price tag of the LG B6 has me wishing the E6 was 2k cheaper. Also I'm afraid the 75" units at that price point aren't up to snuff.

Weevilone

The P series in 55" is an IPS panel, vs the VA panels in others. This makes the viewing angle better, but the blacks worse. The 50" is VA but 60Hz vs 120Hz.

I think people would argue on both sides of this for gaming. Personally I was thrilled with the 50" P series for everything except viewing of lower quality sources (DirecTV). It was terrible.

I just want to say that I'm really impressed with the LG B6. I'm coming from a LCD (LED-lit) 1080p set from 2010 and everything about it just feels like a massive upgrade. I really love OLED technology and just how incredible the contrast and colors are on this set. It's really something to behold. Any 4K set looks great with the right content, of course, but comparing this set in the store to the LCD sets that were nearby, and there was just no contest for me. The combination of OLED, 4K, and HDR just creates an incredible picture.

My situation was the exact same as yours. Had a 1080p set from 2010 and got the B6. Amazing TV.

My dilemma is that I use a 1080p BenQ monitor for its low lag and use it for both pc and consoles. I don't really want to give up the low input lag and 144hz for pc games, and I don't want to put the ps4 in the living room because I'll never get to use it with my kid having it as their play space.

Even if I got a smaller 4k TV for on the desk I would miss having high framerate and lightboost on pc.

Madness

KS8000. You get full 4K and HDR with a 22ms input lag. The Vizio has much higher input lag with HDR. The KS8000 in terms of gaming is pretty much the best due to its input lag.

On an unrelated note, for some reason, I really dislike reading that should I get 1080p or 4K set, the ignorance or false information that is there. You cannot find a decent 1080p set for the last 2 years. Most are budget now. Any budget or midrange 4K set will future proof you much more. As we have seen in this thread, the prices can be ridiculously low.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Alright guys, so here's what I've got:

- 4K HDR10 TV
- PS4 (OG, not Pro)

When I went to the stores today, I saw Warcraft in 4K with a sticker saying "Features HDR", now my two questions are:

1. Would watching a 4K movie on a 4K TV but not a 4K device increase the experience in any way?

And most importantly:

2. Would I, despite not watching in 4K because of device restriction, still see the HDR in the movie that was featured?

Chamber

love on your sleeve

- 4K HDR10 TV
- PS4 (OG, not Pro)

When I went to the stores today, I saw Warcraft in 4K with a sticker saying "Features HDR", now my two questions are:

1. Would watching a 4K movie on a 4K TV but not a 4K device increase the experience in any way?

And most importantly:

2. Would I, despite not watching in 4K because of device restriction, still see the HDR in the movie that was featured?

PS4 won't play the UHD Blu-Ray. Even if it did, the answer would be No and No.

Madness

- 4K HDR10 TV
- PS4 (OG, not Pro)

And most importantly:

1. Not necessarily. 4K movies on Netflix through the app may be more compressed and with lower bitrates than a UHD player.

2. No, HDR is only available in 4K and UHD blu-ray content. PS4 won't be able to play 4K, eben PS4 Pro does not have UHD blu-ray capability.

MastAndo

Finally got my 55KS800...and it's not broken this time! :)

PC Richard said the delivery guys would take it out of the box and check it before leaving...but turns out, just one guy showed up, left the box in my living room and took off. I asked him if he was going to check it, and he just smiled and walked out, lol. Fortunately though, the set looks perfect.

Just tinkering with settings now, but so far so good. I'm just trying to figure out how people are watching HDR content with Dynamic Contrast off. It looks dim and washed out unless I set it to at least Low, though some in the other thread seem to think the "proper" setting is Off. I do watch in a pretty bright room though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
KS8000. You get full 4K and HDR with a 22ms input lag. The Vizio has much higher input lag with HDR. The KS8000 in terms of gaming is pretty much the best due to its input lag.

On an unrelated note, for some reason, I really dislike reading that should I get 1080p or 4K set, the ignorance or false information that is there. You cannot find a decent 1080p set for the last 2 years. Most are budget now. Any budget or midrange 4K set will future proof you much more. As we have seen in this thread, the prices can be ridiculously low.

What about the Dolby vision thing

zedge

there were some posts for LED strips for bias lighting earlier - but are there some that can be powered from a 500mA USB port on the TV? Would be much neater if I didn't have even more cables snaking everywhere.
Yes. I have one I got on amazon. Plugs into USB on back of tv.

Bias Lighting for HDTV USB Powered TV Backlighting Home Theater Accent lighting, Kohree Led Strip Light Multi Color RGB (Reduce eye fatigue and increase image clarity) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01EMHJNWC/

Finally got my 55KS800...and it's not broken this time! :)

PC Richard said the delivery guys would take it out of the box and check it before leaving...but turns out, just one guy showed up, left the box in my living room and took off. I asked him if he was going to check it, and he just smiled and walked out, lol. Fortunately though, the set looks perfect.

Just tinkering with settings now, but so far so good. I'm just trying to figure out how people are watching HDR content with Dynamic Contrast off. It looks dim and washed out unless I set it to at least Low, though some in the other thread seem to think the "proper" setting is Off. I do watch in a pretty bright room though.

i download HDR demos from here http://demo-uhd3d.com/ and its bright without DC. Doesn't look washed out to me at all.

Looking everywhere for a 40 inch set with HDR10, anybody?
I can afford up to $1000 but i just don't have the room/space for anything over 40 inches, i would literally have to find a new apartment.

Maybe try 43" curved Samsung SUHD (KS7500 in EU) - that's smallest one I know with wide gamut , high brightness and low input lag.

Top Bottom