• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

The 55 inch LG OLED is on sale but I am afraid of burn in. Also, would it be better to wait until next year and get the upgraded model?

I'd say it's likely the deals will fade. Burn in however it you're cognizant of your TV use. Set up proper auto off functionality. Dimming mode for unattended set etc. Or just make sure you switch h it off when you're not at the TV and there won't be an issue at all.

Basically what any TV user should be doing anyway. No need to leave a static image in the screen wasting energy and decreasing the life of your device.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
This is where I'm at...

But I kinda want one for TLG and FF15 too, so maybe I'll just wait to play them.

I think I'm sold on the KS8000 65"

Saw it in a very bright Best Buy and the image looked really good, even the black levels seemed pretty solid.

Would really like to get this for TLG/FF15/Horizon, so I may decide to grab it over Black Friday....would prefer to not pay $1500, and really wish I could have gotten in on that EPP deal or whatever, but I can afford it if it comes down to it...

Madness

The 55 inch LG OLED is on sale but I am afraid of burn in. Also, would it be better to wait until next year and get the upgraded model?

Image retention is more guaranteed than image burn which is rare to non existent. It is an issue with the display technology itself. OLED are ridiculously vivid and bright with a pitch black picture. As long as you take care of the television don't leave some static image with bright HUD on the screen without a change for houes you should be good. Waiting next year will probably get you better prices, however it really depends on what LG does. They are pretty much the only player in the OLED space right now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
As we are a gaming forum, I will say go KS8000. You will have a size and 4K television that will give you amazing gaming and picture quality for years. OLED is the future, but right now, you are paying for something you will have little use for. A smaller size, and worse input lag for gaming. Don't get me wrong, the B6 is the superior picture television especially with 4K and HDR. The KS8000 is an edge lit LCD/LED. But if gaming is primary, the KS8000 is best. Who knows in 4 years, OLED will be more widespread, more manufacturers etc.

If you have yet to see a 4K set, you are in for a treat. Especially the OLED. Go tomorrow and view them. Also you are correct, LG always drops OLED prices around this time. They will definitely rise again, so if anyone wants an OLED for this year, now is the time.

I'm googling again to find the input lag on my current TV but am struggling.

Can anyone help me find the input lag on westinghouse cw46t9fw? I'm hoping it's like 80 hours.

I don't think anyone ever listed it because no one cares about this shit tv

Image retention is more guaranteed than image burn which is rare to non existent. It is an issue with the display technology itself. OLED are ridiculously vivid and bright with a pitch black picture. As long as you take care of the television don't leave some static image with bright HUD on the screen without a change for houes you should be good. Waiting next year will probably get you better prices, however it really depends on what LG does. They are pretty much the only player in the OLED space right now.

Yea, I've seen IR before, but never experienced burn in with any of my plasmas.

ZOONAMI

What about the Dolby vision thing

That would be the only downside of the KS8000, but it seems pretty clear the HDR10 is winning this format war, with no Dolby Vision bluray players even available and Dolby vision only available on a few TVs (Vizio P series and LG OLEDs basically). Vudu and Amazon are the only streaming services that even offer Dolby vision afaik.

fritolay

Prices only go up after BF I thought?

yearly-price-tv-deals.png

Can anyone comment on how good/bad this Sony is? Is the input lag actually noticeable? How is the 4K and HDR for PS4 pro?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/XBR55X700D/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I am seeing a lot of conflicting reviews about it.

you're not getting any kind of special deal here and it's not really an HDR tv. It's not very bright and it doesn't support wide color gamut. it's also IPS which is a nono on a TV for me personally as it has very sub par contrast.

IMO if you were considering the bundle you're better off going for the deal on the Pro from Amazon or Target going on right now and buying a larger model Samsung KU6300 or 6290 (Same TV 6290 is just cheaper, doesn't have Bluetooth or a smart remote) and deals vary so it's dependent on the deals.

The Samsung is also HDR10, but keep in mind it's not true HDR either. It just supports the metadata and displays it in a non HDR space essentially. It's more technical than that, but it's the gist of what's going on with the sets that are HDR10 compliant but without the features to truly support the standard.

you're not getting any kind of special deal here and it's not really an HDR tv. It's not very bright and it doesn't support wide color gamut. it's also IPS which is a nono on a TV for me personally as it has very sub par contrast.

IMO if you were considering the bundle you're better off going for the deal on the Pro from Amazon or Target going on right now and buying a larger model Samsung KU6300 or 6290 (Same TV 6290 is just cheaper, doesn't have Bluetooth or a smart remote) and deals vary so it's dependent on the deals.

The Samsung is also HDR10, but keep in mind it's not true HDR either. It just supports the metadata and displays it in a non HDR space essentially. It's more technical than that, but it's the gist of what's going on with the sets that are HDR10 compliant but without the features to truly support the standard.
The Samsung looks good but if it doesn't have true HDR, I won't bother. So if I wanted to get true HDR, what should I be going for? Price range is about $600-800 and looking for 55".

That would be the only downside of the KS8000, but it seems pretty clear the HDR10 is winning this format war, with no Dolby Vision bluray players even available and Dolby vision only available on a few TVs (Vizio P series and LG OLEDs basically). Vudu and Amazon are the only streaming services that even offer Dolby vision afaik.

The standard for Dolly Vision is also kind of bullshit as of right now.

12 bit color

The best TV's are 10 Afaik so it would be 10 on something like the B6 with dithering to 12.

4000 but targeted brightness

Rec 2020 space target. The KS8000 and even the LGB6, C6 only cover around 70% of that color space.

Its just too lofty of a standard currently. The main thing holding it back honestly though is HDMI bandwidth limitation. I wish so badly we would just transition to Display Port. It's so far superior to HDMI.

The Samsung looks good but if it doesn't have true HDR, I won't bother. So if I wanted to get true HDR, what should I be going for? Price range is about $600-800 and looking for 55".

The Employee Pricing Program was your only shot at that happening Afaik. The 55" KS8000 was $729.

I really have no idea as to the status of that deal now though, I believe it's dead and buried.

If you want true HDR10 you're going to be spending a $999+ now.

fritolay

How do you know if a TV fully supports the standard. Is there a certification?

The Employee Pricing Program was your only shot at that happening Afaik. The 55" KS8000 was $729.

I really have no idea as to the status of that deal now though, I believe it's dead and buried.

Damn that sucks. In case an online retailer pops up with something great, can you recommend anything I can look out for?

I know that KS8000 is highly recommended around here but any others?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

I'm replacing a 10 year old 1080p set (Samsung DLP - 68" or so).

Do you think the new Samsung KS8000 will be a great TV to last me for the coming 4K generations (PS4 Pro, Scorpio, PS5, etc...)?

$1500 is a lot to drop on a TV, but if it will last me that long perhaps it's worth it.

Now just trying to figure out if I should keep it at around 65", or "downgrade" to 55" for a little less money...My room is such that I'm situated anywhere from 8-10 feet from my TV, but in theory could move closer

How do you know if a TV fully supports the standard. Is there a certification?

I wish. They're more like goalposts currently. It's definitely the wild west for HDR right now. I think HDR10 is definitely going to win the first bout but who knows when they'll have a legitimate certification. As of right now it just tells you if it will receive HDR10 metadata essentially.

Damn that sucks. In case an online retailer pops up with something great, can you recommend anything I can look out for?

I know that KS8000 is highly recommended around here but any others?

The LG OLED B6, C6 but those are too expensive.

The Sony X800D but I don't think that's any cheaper and is generally considered to be a step down comparative to the KS8000.

The best budget 4k set I can recommend right now is the KU6290. Either that or you wait for deals to pop up again.

Honestly I'd consider grabbing the 40" KU6290 for $300 as a stopgap. I know it isn't ideal. But it's cheap and would easily be sellable to upgrade when you're ready.

Do you think the new Samsung KS8000 will be a great TV to last me for the coming 4K generations (PS4 Pro, Scorpio, PS5, etc...)?

$1500 is a lot to drop on a TV, but if it will last me that long perhaps it's worth it.

Considering what you're coming from (I'd imagine it had fairly substantial input lag?) I wish I could recommend the OLED to you at 65" but it's like twice the cost so that's not an easy choice. I'd say yes its a great TV. But depending on your usage, you might consider looking for a deal on an OLED.

So I just found out while getting ready to get my desired Samsung on the target.com BF online special that they dont ship TV's to Puerto Rico, so Im stuck with whatever local TV sets I can find. Walmart will have the Samsung 50in 4kTV for $438 but only 12 available so its either braving the crowds and losing most of my Thanksgiving waiting in line or getting the TV online via target.com, having it shipped to a relative in mainland US and have them ship it to me via FedEx..... but I fear what might happen on two shipping trips on a TV. Im so screwed. :/

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Considering what you're coming from (I'd imagine it had fairly substantial input lag?) I wish I could recommend the OLED to you at 65" but it's like twice the cost so that's not an easy choice. I'd say yes its a great TV. But depending on your usage, you might consider looking for a deal on an OLED.

The cost of the OLED is the sticking point. It twice the cost I'd rather upgrade now for 5 years and then pay the same cost today for another replacement TV in five years.

And seeing the OLEDs in best buy, they were nice but they weren't as vibrant to me as the Samsung.

The cost of the OLED is the sticking point. It twice the cost I'd rather upgrade now for 5 years and then pay the same cost today for another replacement TV in five years.

And seeing the OLEDs in best buy, they were nice but they weren't as vibrant to me as the Samsung.

I'm with you 100% there. The point of diminishing returns on a OLED is too high. Only reason I even upgraded now was because of the stellar EPP deals. $729 was too good to pass up.

Now just trying to figure out if I should keep it at around 65", or "downgrade" to 55" for a little less money...My room is such that I'm situated anywhere from 8-10 feet from my TV, but in theory could move closer

Any tv you buy now will have much better picture quality than your dlp. At the same time, i think it would be hard to go from a 68" screen down to 55". Just save up some more, don't feel like you have to upgrade right now. These tvs arent going anywhere.

Madness

Shit, welp got my hopes up for nothing, I think I am going with this one then based on Aztechnology's recommendation.

http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/55-class-ku6290-6-series-4k-uhd-tv-2016-model-un55ku6290fxza/

The refresh rate is 60hz so can it play games in 60 FPS right? Sorry if that was a dumb question, I don't really know a lot about TV specs.Would it be jarring to go from a 240hz TV to a 60hz?

What is your price max? And yes, your game frame rate is console dependent on the game and separate from your tv refresh rate. At 4K, refresh rate is a non factor due to the sheer amount of pixels and visual fidelity. Will see little to no blur. You might notice more blur at 1080p if you are coming from a 240hz native refresh especially for motion or sports, but did you like motion interpolation aka soap opera effect?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Any tv you buy now will have much better picture quality than your dlp. At the same time, i think it would be hard to go from a 68" screen down to 55". Just save up some more, don't feel like you have to upgrade right now. These tvs arent going anywhere.

I guess I'm just trying to wait on getting the best bang for my buck for a big investment.

I have the money to splurge on a $1500 65" TV, I'm just trying to decide if NOW is the right time.

On the one hand, I really want to take advantage of the new PS4 Pro, especially when Horizon comes out, but at the same time I don't want to put down money on something that's going to be massively outdated in short order...

Shit, welp got my hopes up for nothing, I think I am going with this one then based on Aztechnology's recommendation.

http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/55-class-ku6290-6-series-4k-uhd-tv-2016-model-un55ku6290fxza/

The refresh rate is 60hz so can it play games in 60 FPS right? Sorry if that was a dumb question, I don't really know a lot about TV specs.Would it be jarring to go from a 240hz TV to a 60hz?

This is a good choice for the price.

I guess I'm just trying to wait on getting the best bang for my buck for a big investment.

I have the money to splurge on a $1500 65" TV, I'm just trying to decide if NOW is the right time.

On the one hand, I really want to take advantage of the new PS4 Pro, especially when Horizon comes out, but at the same time I don't want to put down money on something that's going to be massively outdated in short order...

I feel like if your dlp has served you well for this long, you'll be happy with the ks8000. Horizon comes out in february, right? the prices for tvs might go down a little bit more. It's a big decision for sure, especially when it comes to electronics.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Someone tell me what to do

edit: here is my existing tv LOL

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Westinghouse-CW46T9FW-46-1080p-60Hz-Class-LCD-HDTV/22227244#about-item

It's 46", not 40".

After going to Best Buy and comparing all of the sets they had on display, I went with the 55" LG B6. I just couldn't go for an LCD set after seeing the OLED in person in a side-by-side comparison. I considered the 65" model, but honestly I felt like the 55" looked better standing at around a 2 meter distance (duh, pixel density and all that). I probably sit around 3.5 meters from my set in my living room and looks fantastic.

What is your price max? And yes, your game frame rate is console dependent on the game and separate from your tv refresh rate. At 4K, refresh rate is a non factor due to the sheer amount of pixels and visual fidelity. Will see little to no blur. You might notice more blur at 1080p if you are coming from a 240hz native refresh especially for motion or sports, but did you like motion interpolation aka soap opera effect?
$600 -$800 ish. That KS800 would be perfect if I could do the Samsung discount

Honestly 90% of the time would be for gaming and 10% for Blu rays. I don't watch sports and if I would want to watch live TV, I would use a different TV.

No, I don't like the soap opera effect. Looks awful.

I feel like if your dlp has served you well for this long, you'll be happy with the ks8000. Horizon comes out in february, right? the prices for tvs might go down a little bit more. It's a big decision for sure, especially when it comes to electronics.

TVs are just as cheap in February due to the Super Bowl. So waiting wouldn't be the end of the world.

Y2Kev

After going to Best Buy and comparing all of the sets they had on display, I went with the 55" LG B6. I just couldn't go for an LCD set after seeing the OLED in person in a side-by-side comparison. I considered the 65" model, but honestly I felt like the 55" looked better standing at around a 2 meter distance (duh, pixel density and all that). I probably sit around 3.5 meters from my set in my living room and looks fantastic.

How does the lag feel?

Y2Kev

What are these Costco TVs? They don't say anything about what they are.

Eh they appear to only have 8500 and 9000

meanspartan

Just got back from target.

They had a samsung 49 inch for $477 on sale. It says "hdr premium"

Lg for $400, also 49 inch, "hdr pro"

Pricing seems too good to be true...these not true hdr maybe?

the210

Not only is it still going on the the 65 inch is down to $1079. That $200 less then I paid and Ive only had the set a week.

Madness

Not only is it still going on the the 65 inch is down to $1079. That $200 less then I paid and Ive only had the set a week.

Did you ask for the price match yet? They've already refunded my $200. Wouldn't budge on the tax no matter how much I asked. But still cannot complain for $1205ish with tax for a 65" 4K with full HDR10 set.

Top Bottom