• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops [Xbox One BC] |OT| https://youtu.be/pAgnJDJN4VA

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Weird going from COD on PC to Xbox. It feels like I'm playing a totally different game.

Slogging through the campaign on Veteran and having a miserable time. It's as if nobody playtested this mode; half the time I just die instantly when I come into view of an enemy.

I'd like to politely disagree. The storytelling is messy at best, and it's an extremely weak setup with lots of plot threads coming out of left field. Moreover, there's a pervasive jingoistic nihilism throughout the game that every character seems to be fueled by. There's not a single character in BO1 who isn't a violence-crazed, lead-spewing maniac.

There's no rhyme or reason for any of the actions undertaken in the story. It's just an "communism bad, capitalism good" plot with Gary Oldman playing the part of your Magical Russian best friend.

Don't get me wrong; I like Black Ops a lot. Its multiplayer paved the way for Black Ops 2, and its got Zombies at its wackiest. But its plot is without a doubt its weakest asset, and the level design in the campaign is the same trashy corridor-shooting that became a running gag with series critics. Black Ops 2 is far better, but it's still full of the "America, fuck yeah" mentality and pointlessly gruesome violence that only Treyarch seems to utilize. Not one character is human; everyone is a trigger-happy psychopath.
AxtzziK.gif

You're overthinking it, just slightly. It's a silly, corny, gory 1970's shooting gallery with an awesome soundtrack and fun set-pieces.

Not Shakespeare.

You're overthinking it, just slightly. It's a silly, corny, gory 1970's shooting gallery with an awesome soundtrack and fun set-pieces.

Not Shakespeare.

When a series has intriguing and well-written (and acted) stories like Call of Duty 4 and Advanced Warfare, then I feel there's a standard that has been set.

Shakespeare, Call of Duty is not. Nor will it ever be. Nor will it have to be. But what Call of Duty has demonstrated in the past is that it can have an extraordinarily strong narrative and character arc, which is something Black Ops fails to achieve.

When the closest thing your franchise has to a thematic arc ("THE NUMBERS, MASON! WHAT DO THEY MEAN?!") becomes the butt of a joke, it means something during the writing process went very wrong.

I can go on. There's merit to this series that a lot of people dismiss purely because they perceive the franchise as a jingoistic dudebro shooter. It's a lot more than that; at least, it can be, and it has been many times.

speedomodel

Need to complete campaign on Veteran and pick up some misc. achievements. Excited to go back and have some fun with this game. Hoping BLOPS 2 shows up at some point as well.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ps3 games wont work on Ps4 so dont hold your breath.

Black Ops BC got its own OT?
Damn people really loved their black ops huh?

I played more Black Ops 2 than Black Ops so even for 10 bucks imma be skipping this one.

MrNelson

Banned
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if the PS3 version is as riddled with hackers as MW1 and MW2 are? I'm debating whether or not to get this, but I'd rather not have to lose the 5 prestiges and have to repurchase the map packs I had over there.

Figments

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if the PS3 version is as riddled with hackers as MW1 and MW2 are? I'm debating whether or not to get this, but I'd rather not have to lose the 5 prestiges and have to repurchase the map packs I had over there.

From what I remember of the little I played, it wasn't all too terrible regarding hackers.

MrNelson

Banned
From what I remember of the little I played, it wasn't all too terrible regarding hackers.
How recent was that though? The last time I touched it was in the lead up to Black Ops II. I hadn't seen anything then (or in the prior two years of playing), but 4 years is a long time for things to change.

Figments

How recent was that though? The last time I touched it was in the lead up to Black Ops II. I hadn't seen anything then (or in the prior two years of playing), but 4 years is a long time for things to change.

I'll be honest, it was a few months ago.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
It could be the double buffering v-sync that you're experiencing. It adds a little to the input lag.

Maybe, it definitely feels sluggish. Weird going from BO3 to this, plus I've been playing with bumper jumper on BO3 and there's no option for that here.

Ricker

Wont let me buy it from the X1 store, says its not available for now go to the XBox.com store or something,anyway not sure its worth it for 10 bucks for the campaign only anyway...(meaning I wont touch the multi)

It would be interesting to know how much work went it to getting this running as well as it does and if a large amount of work required was the reason it seemed to be coming for so long...

Upinsmoke

See i'd be tempted to get this. However having played gears 3 bc on the xbox one....I mean it's truly horrific, runs like liquid shit.

Can anyone confirm if this runs well?

Figments

See i'd be tempted to get this. However having played gears 3 bc on the xbox one....I mean it's truly horrific, runs like liquid shit.

Can anyone confirm if this runs well?

For the most part, performance is actually on par with the 360 version. The only issue I've noticed so far is that, sometimes, running through spent smoke grenades makes the framerate dive to maybe 45-50. I'm not too sure about the exact numbers, but it's a noticeable dip. However, the rest of the game runs butter smooth, from my experience so far.

Danny 117

For the most part, performance is actually on par with the 360 version. The only issue I've noticed so far is that, sometimes, running through spent smoke grenades makes the framerate dive to maybe 45-50. I'm not too sure about the exact numbers, but it's a noticeable dip. However, the rest of the game runs butter smooth, from my experience so far.

I have had the same experience. Basically it runs smooth 99% of the time from what I can tell! Though is anyone getting some sort of stuttering occasionally in the multiplayer? I don't know if it's a networking issue or an emulation issue.

Figments

Im constantly getting disconnected with it saying the server isnt available at this time.

I think that might be because of login server downsizing for the Black Ops stuff, considering it's been years. Hopefully Activision sorts it out.

I have had the same experience. Basically it runs smooth 99% of the time from what I can tell! Though is anyone getting some sort of stuttering occasionally in the multiplayer? I don't know if it's a networking issue or an emulation issue.

I feel it's a networking issue. I've had many butter smooth matches and maybe like a couple with stuttering, so I think that might be it.

Really? A OT because some game got BC on Xboxone?

Why not lets do a OT for every BC game..

Sry but i dont think there is a need for an OT on this.

But regardless, how to i get Gold Camo for weapons?

I want to play soooo badddddd. Hopefully mw2 or world at war follows suit

this games are very infectedy by hackers.... wouldnt get my hopes up.

Figments

But regardless, how to i get Gold Camo for weapons?

this games are very infectedy by hackers.... wouldnt get my hopes up.

So far, I've seen only one match wherein hackers existed. Out of, like, twenty-thirty different matches. So yeah. Obviously anecdotal, but still.

Also, you need to complete all weapon challenges for the weapon you want to give gold camo.

totally ridiculous to have an OT for this.

To both of you: This BC game managed to pull roughly 75k~ Xbox One players alone the day of release (when I managed to get in yesterday around 9:30 AM, there were around 7k players online, which I assume mostly consisted of 360 players), and it's still holding at around 50k as of an hour ago--still rising, too. This is unusual, yes, but there's a lot more anticipation for this than other BC releases, and it's already showing.

You're more than welcome to not post in the thread if you feel that way, its not a difficult concept. 140 posts on day 2, seems like it was worth it

Figments

He likes to complain a lot and about everything else.

Anyway i got this in the mail just a half hour ago.

Oh boy.

That reminds me.

Has anyone tried out splitscreen performance? I'd love to get a few guys together and do bot matches for the hell of it.

Top Bottom