• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can I still go to the gym today after bleed a lot and with a cut on my forehead?

DeathyBoy

Banned
Last time I went to ER I had hurt my ankle doing a stupid dive for a oob tennis ball.

It got big and purplr I thought it was fine and just sprained. My roommate was being paranoid and wouldn't drop it so we went to ER. After like 5 hours of waiting ER said it was broken and gave me a cast and some crutches and sent us home. A week later they were like oops sorry its just a sprain.

So yeah.

There's a bit of a difference between thinking you have a sprain and being cut in the head by a sharp object and feeling woozy but deciding to bandage it yourself.

You likely need stitches, at the very least. And while I'm sure it's an inconvenience to you, getting a doctor to look at a cut which bled a lot is kinda required. Longer you leave it, worse it might get.

But hey, if you can't be bothered to get reassurance because you gotta tough it out...

*I had a droopy face and thought I'd tough it out. Then people called me on my shit and I went to A and E. it was swollen glands. At some point not being a proud dumbass is a good thing.

Having shit to do is not really a must. Your mind is obviously in need and belief though looking at this very thread. It's ok not to go. Don't go.

Sunster

Like, if you need stitches but you don't get them you know there's like a super high chance of infection right?

.JayZii

Banned
There's a bit of a difference between thinking you have a sprain and being cut in the head by a sharp object and feeling woozy but deciding to bandage it yourself.

You likely need stitches, at the very least. And while I'm sure it's an inconvenience to you, getting a doctor to look at a cut which bled a lot is kinda required. Longer you leave it, worse it might get.

But hey, if you can't be bothered to get reassurance because you gotta tough it out...

*I had a droopy face and thought I'd tough it out. Then people called me on my shit and I went to A and E. it was swollen glands. At some point not being a proud dumbass is a good thing.
He's not going to listen to you.

I admire your dedication OP, but going to the gym after sustaining a head injury that almost left you unconscious seems like a terrible idea.

Daedardus

Go to the doctor please. Let him check your pressure and all the rest and check if the cut is clean and desinfected or if it needs to be glued or stitched. Don't think about the cost of a doctor, think about the cost of what you have to pay when it starts getting infected or if you faint at work and they will need to call an ambulance. ER might not be needed if there's some form of urgent care or available doctor in the neighbourhood.

First of all, if the cuts deep at all you want stitches, and you want to do that quick-like. Or alternatively enjoy the scar. Hopefully it will look bad-ass because the story about how you got it is definitely not.

Second, it's not an emergency, so don't go to the ER. Go to urgent care. Unless there is not an open urgent care anywhere near you. Then good luck at the ER.

The other option is to DIY liquid bandage with super-glue. But it sounds like you have insurance, so, might as well use it.

Dopus

Banned
Aside from your reluctance to see a doctor for a head injury, why are you even thinking about going to the gym when you're still feeling lightheaded? I mean, have some common sense here dude.

You clearly don't feel great, so why risk further harm by going to the gym? Your workout would be mediocre at best, at worst you will fuck yourself up and possibly miss weeks of training as a result.

Have a good meal and an early night. The gym will still be there tomorrow.

Nephtis

If you go to the gym, have fun touching your forehead when checking yourself out after having touched all kinds of equipment with all kinds of bacteria

m0dus

Banned
Advice from a medical professional:

You essentially just gave blood (to the floor).
Have a cookie and take a skip day. You will be doing yourself (and potentially others) harm if you choose now to exert yourself.

WaterAstro

Why don't you go to a doctor and ask?

Doesn't sound like something you should walk off without some medical examination.

I think you know the answer OP

tumblr_mbtpaejlbE1qmc87co1_500.gif

In all seriousness, take the day off.

You guys are making me paranoid, I took of the bandage and the cut looks perfectly fine, it's actually pretty small now. Like I don't know how stitches work because I've never had them but I don't think you could fit more than one or two on it anyways. My closest ER also isn't very close. I did enjoyed disinfecting it very thoroughly. (I'm a masochist for the stinging/burning sensation I don't know why but I love it) and it's been covered since so injection shouldn't be a problem.

If ever feel like it's not feeling better or its feeling worse I'll go I promise. I do appreciate the thoughts though.

If there was that much bleeding, are you sure you don't need stitches? You may want to have an ER doc disinfect and manage the wound.

Either way, make sure to remain hydrated since you've lost fluid and eat enough. Take a chill day dude.

I looked it up after the fact and apparently there's tons of blood vessels in your forehead so even small shallow cuts can take a shit ton of blood out of you.

Go for a walk/jog and do some bodyweight exercises at home.

I think the real story of how you hit yourself in the head with a decorative dagger is a much more worthy thread topic. Ninja tricks?

It's a long and not a very interesting story and I couldn't be assed to type it.

Basically I went to my aunt's mother's funeral yesterday, tough times etc after it we went to the main family house.

Now like 11 years ago when I was 16 or 17 I went to some dumb convention and bought some dumb fantasy looking dagger as souvenir. It came with a black plaque, the plaque has two pegs the dagger can rest on, they don't secure it, it just sits on it. I hung this in my then room.

No a couple years later I left for uni and so on blad de bla, no my dad now uses that room for when he's in the UK.He moved stuff around, one of these was removing the knife, I didn't care, its basically his place now.

Around a year or so ago when I was helping with spring cleaning and emptying out/throwing out all my random stuff in the closet, I did ask where he put it cause I was curious cause I didn't come across it at all and he was like I dunno and I was like whatever I don't really care.

Anyways fast forward today, I'm there, trying to throw some more stuff out and I'm going through a shelf and see my old wooden case for art shit and get it out, there was some african thingy on top of it, and some wooden board thing, neither of which would fall if I took out the briefcase, just tilt them sideways a bit,

Of course unbeknownst to me there was a dagger there on top of that that board which was actually a plaque, and since my dad had put it up there upside down instead of the pegs preventing it from sliding in to me instead it stopped it from sliding back into the closet it slid out and hit me straight on the forehead.

I mean I could've handled the thing better but I didn't expect there to be a fucking random dagger there.

I'm just glad it missed my eye, it was only an inch above it, less of an inch if you include the eyebrow it could have gone through. It's heavy piece of shit so if I'd been hit by the hilt instead of the blade imo it might have been a lot worse. Hell if it had hit me in the cheek/nose/ear instead of my tough ass forehead it could have gone through since it's super sharp and pointy near the tip, I'm pretty damn lucky in the grand scheme of things.

TL:DR my dad put a knife on the top of a shelf on top of a slidey board with no precautions and upside down and the knife slid off and hit my while I was getting something else out of that shelf/cupboard.

Like imo when storing something like that it's common sense it do it more securely and cover it with something no? I'm going to give him a talking to next time he comes back.

I did send him a snarky text but I don't think he understood it.

TL:DR 2, divine karma for buy some tacky ass piece of memorabilia.

Im not an expert, but doesn't the forehead bleed a lot anyways? Like a tiny cut can look pretty bad? I remember that from WWE how wrestlers would cut themselves with razors and bleed like crazy even though it wasn't really that bad.

Not saying your injury isn't bad, I have no idea, but I just remembered that for whatever reason

Edit when I read the part of you eating the candy I thought of a senzu bean and thought yea he can go to the gym lol . But yea, take a day off. You've earned it after being stabbed in the head by a dagger

We'll I went to urgent care yesterday on my way back from work and they said it looked fine but cone back if I start throwing up.

I went to the gym yesterday after that, felt mostly fine.

But since I got out of bed today (when I physically got up not when I woke up) I've been kinda dizzy and my brain feels a bit to big for my head, and small bouts of light nausea.

Google says this might be a concussion. An dB that the best thing to do is rest physically and mentally. My job is a super chill 0 stress office job (civil service) so I'll go in and tell them I might have one. I just think I'll take the tube instead of my motorcycle since google says not to.

The problem is if I take the tube I can't stop by urgent care on the way back like I did on my motorcycle yesterday.

JackDT

It seems unlikely that the dagger had enough force to give you a concussion but may as well get it checked out.

It seems unlikely that the dagger had enough force to give you a concussion but may as well get it checked out.

Its the size of my forearm and hand combine dined and just as wide and made out of solid steel including the hilt and thus weighs quite a lot. But only fell from probably like 3 - 4 feet above my head and the heaviest part (hilt) isn't what hit me so dunno.

That said the symptoms are really light so its probably just in passing. I'll try to get it checked out at some point but I dunno what they can do about it.

Top Bottom