• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Nintendo patch Full-Range RGB to Wii U?

Ridley327

Technically speaking, it's possible, as the PS3 didn't launch with full RGB and it was patched in later (anyone remember how long it took?). Whether or not Nintendo knows it's an issue is another question, but I'm a bit more confident at it being looked at since the spring update did add in the most requested TV feature with the universal overscan setting. Something for the summer update, perhaps?

Neff

I'm definitely missing palette gradients and contrast when using limited RGB on my PS3 and 360. For some reason though, when using full RGB, my TV wants to continually auto-adjust the contrast ever so slightly based on what it's displaying. It's very subtle though, and more than worth tolerating for the trade-off of increased PQ.

All it does is crush your blacks. That's why it's striking. Just calibrate your brightness and you don't need it.
Hardly. If your TV sdoesn't support it, yeah, but if your TV does (like mine and many made after it) then Full Range is the only way to go, IMO.

Option A
Set your TV to full range.
Full range devices will look correct.
Limited devices will output a slightly compressed image (less contrast) compared to full range. You will not lose any detail because of the mismatched settings. Your whites and blacks will be slightly greyer than what your TV is capable of displaying.

Option B
Set your TV to limited.
Full range devices will output a signal that gets crushed on the white and black ends. You will lose detail because of the mismatched settings.
Limited devices will output a slightly compressed image (less contrast) compared to full range. Your whites and blacks will be as white and black as your TV is capable of displaying.

Option C
Set your TV to match your device.
You have to fumble through shitty menus every time you switch between full range and limited devices.
Full range looks correct. No detail is lost.
Limited range looks correct, compressed (less contrast) compared to full range.
You'll never truly know what your TV is doing behind the scenes, whether or not you need to use a specific "game" or "pc" mode to disable certain processing shit, whether or not that one post on that forum you said was right about only one of the inputs being able to disable the processing, or whether or not your shit is being properly passed in full or limited when your devices are hooked up to a receiver and the receiver is hooked up to the TV and you cycle through inputs.

Option A is the best.
Your PC, competent game consoles, and BluRay player will all be full range and will look great.
Your Cable box and Wii U will be limited range. The only downside to the mismatched setting is the slightly greyer whites and blacks from what your TV could otherwise display. It's not worth fumbling through menus to fix every time you want to use a dumb device.

So much this. I hate how my cable box looks but my gaming PC, 360, PS3 and Raspberry Pi all look great on it.

I use Expanded on 360 via VGA because the other two choices lead to a washed out image, (when I used HDMI on 360 I used Limited as I do with the PS3).

netBuff

But videogames are supposed to run 0-255, i thought 16-235 was video reference. If my tv supports full rgb and the wii u had the option for full rgb should i set it to that?

If your TV has the option of correctly processing full-range input, yes, you should utilize that. Of course, not with the Wii U ;)

They really should patch this option in, I've complained about this plenty at launch time: But, realistically speaking, considering the pretty sad state of the Wii U's OS in general, this feature is probably something they'll add later rather than sooner.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Nintendo absolutely could patch full-range RGB into the Wii U. I'm positive that the 360 was only able to accept limited RGB at launch and the function was later patched in, and I believe the same was the case for the PS3, though I'm not 100% sure on that one.

And while it's obviously a bad idea to set your game console/PC to output a full-range signal to a display that can't accept it properly, if your display accepts full-range RGB (which most displays on sale today do and a fair amount of displays made in the past 5 years do as well), there is ZERO downside to using full-range RGB. You get richer colors and deeper blacks and it doesn't screw up properly calibrated displays. The claim that setting a source to output full-range RGB inherently makes it impossible to properly calibrate a display is ridiculously false.

pa22word

Really? REALLY?

Yep. Totally ruins the IQ in every game I play because Nintendo can't be bothered to put out a simple patch. It's pathetic that in 2013 I have to deal with this nonsense, and if it was anyone else I would have dumped the pos system by now. Luckily, Nintendo makes too good of games to drive me away with their ignorance or complete disregard for their consumers, but fuck if they aren't trying.

Oppo

Technically speaking, it's possible, as the PS3 didn't launch with full RGB and it was patched in later (anyone remember how long it took?). Whether or not Nintendo knows it's an issue is another question, but I'm a bit more confident at it being looked at since the spring update did add in the most requested TV feature with the universal overscan setting. Something for the summer update, perhaps?

Actually I'm about 90% sure the option was there from launch, for the PS3.

freddy

Banned
So is this a thing where it doesn't matter if the range is set by a TV or a Device(eg WiiU) as long as it is set somewhere?

So is this a thing where it doesn't matter if the range is set by a TV or a Device(eg WiiU) as long as it is set somewhere?

No, they both need to go together or you will crush the brightness or make everything washed out.

Console 16-235
Tv 16-235

Console 0-255
Tv 0-255

Consoles are basically computers since they have a gpu and cpu and all games should run Full Rgb to my understanding, limited 16-235 is the film industry standard for videos not videogames.

Going to bump this thread. I have a Sony TV(KDL52WL135) from 2008 and am not sure if it supports RGB full range. It probably doesn't. When I enable it on my PS3 it makes a noticeable difference-mainly blacks are crushed. Most TV's only support limited, even today? So just leave it off I assume.

malfcn

Xbox user here, and I get color banding often. Checked the reference levels and they are at standard.
But the xbox also has HDMI color space settings of: Auto, Source, RGB, YCbCr709, YCbCr601. What exactly do those do and what's a good setting. I didn't know that most TV were Standard / Limited, so this could be educational too.

Top Bottom