• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: USF2 proved to be a smash hit

Cleve

Considering how tiny the budget of this game must have been, I'm sure it turned a tidy profit, but I feel like it was a right time and place situation. If they try something similar again in a year, I don't know if it would see the same success.

I'll be the first in line to buy collections of capcom classics, so I'm glad to see them try.

Im happy and sad about this. Happy because it secures games from Capcom for the Switch, sad because honestly no one should have bought that overpriced garbage (game is good, but the added features aren't worth 40).

vg260

Responsible for... what exactly?

Some shitposters in this thread.

A "successful" test of what many felt to be a grossly overpriced game.

Consumers don't necessarily want a company to "succeed" with an idea price/model/concept they feel sets a bad precedent. (see Xbox One launch, online passes, etc.)

Say what you will about the game but it is SF2 and I still see a lot of content creators on Youtube posting up videos of the game even today. Maximillian just uploaded a new video yesterday of Violent Ken ranked matches.

vg260

Surprised I haven't seen this yet:
mMWl0.gif

YBdisk

Capcom- START BY JUST LOCALIZING A TITLE YOU ALREADY HAVE COMING OUT AND THAT IS HALF DONE ALREADY!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, I wonder what that could be...

I think Capcpom needs to do more "testing", so I'm expecting the HD remasters first. All but the obvious touchscreen enabled Okami HD. Can't wait to get disappointed again.

Pinky

Banned
Good. Now, let's see if we can get some Resident Evils and The Disney Afternoon Collection on Switch at some point.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Hmmmm...what other old games can we port to Switch with little effort for $40 a pop?

Ultra Final Fight Switch Edition? Ryu Amiibo unlocks special hat for Haggar.

kaioshade

Capcom: Hm, not sure what you're referring to. On an unrelated note, make sure to buy Monster Hunter World coming Early 2018!!!

Capcom is quite sure localizing XX will cut into sales of World. I will be extremely surprised if XX is ever localized at this point.

Kurt

What i don't understand is that this one doesn't get any support after release so far while SF5 which is a disappointment in sales will get a huge update.
(Also this one is too expensive compared to SF5, which is also a reason why USF2 should get more support imo)

Terrell

What could Capcom realistically bring to Switch next? I doubt they would make an exclusive title but Incould see the 2 Megaman Legacy collections and maybe the Disney afternoon collection

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.

lol.
gotta love capcom's double standard.
If a exclusive game performs well on a nintendo system, their response is to port it to other consoles too -- and NOT to invest in more titles on the nintendo system.

We don't just have Mochizuki's word on it.

This really put everything in perspective.

Not really. Wii U didn't get continued support because it stopped selling. Switch clearly does not have this problem.

I bet Capcom is readying Ultra Puzzle Fighter 2 as we speak

You make that sound like a bad idea. I love that game!

A "successful" test of what many felt to be a grossly overpriced game.

Consumers don't necessarily want a company to "succeed" with an idea price/model/concept they feel sets a bad precedent. (see Xbox One launch, online passes, etc.)

Yet this would be used as an example by Capcom and forum-goers of why 3rd-parties don't come to Switch, regardless of the fact that people object to it, so... you can understand why such discussion isn't entirely helpful. It's a no-win situation that Switch owners are put into, not able to be happy about the game's success because of objections to its content or business model if it succeeds and not being on the same page as you without being an "apologist" for why 3rd-party games aren't selling. It's unfortunate.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Neat. Would love to see more up-ports of SF games.

Hey Capcom, make a definitive edition of Alpha based on the PSP version! Port 3S again! Same with Ultra IV. Being able to play these on the go would be amazing.

Cepheus

if it keeps selling, it will make more money for capcom than street fighter 5. Althought, selling more seems like a (big) stretch?

It's sold around 450k copies physical and it's only been out for two months, whereas SF5 has been out for over a year now and is hovering around 1.7mil, despite being on two platforms. It's possible.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Almost half a million people were suckered into buying a $15 decade old port for $60.

Except it's not a $15 decade old port. It's a new port with new balancing, with 3 characters that weren't in that game. The fact that it includes the graphic settings from that game doesn't mean it's the same.

What i don't understand is that this one doesn't get any support after release so far while SF5 which is a disappointment in sales will get a huge update.
(Also this one is too expensive compared to SF5, which is also a reason why USF2 should get more support imo)

SFV was always planned to receive ongoing support. It's the current main entry in the series.

if it keeps selling, it will make more money for capcom than street fighter 5. Althought, selling more seems like a (big) stretch?

It's sold around 450k copies physical and it's only been out for two months, whereas SF5 has been out for over a year now and is hovering around 1.7mil, despite being on two platforms. It's possible.

Doubtful considering the season passes and ongoing DLC.

Except it's not a $15 decade old port. It's a new port with new balancing, with 3 characters that weren't in that game. The fact that it includes the graphic settings from that game doesn't mean it's the same.

It's true that there was a fair bit of new content. Throw techs for example are a game changer. Doesn't change the fact the asking price was still too high especially with HDR being $2 on other platforms not too long ago.

In what currency.

Australian dollaroos probably.

border

Those sales are absolutely insane.......especially when you consider that the game basically requires you to buy 1-2 $70 controllers just to play it properly.

Dwight Evans

Neo Member
Now I am hoping for the Disney Afternoon Collection. It makes no sense at all they haven't put that game on the Switch.

I'd also love a Switch Dead Rising.

...A guy can dream, can't he?

This will probably overtake SF5 sales-wise in the future.

SF5 sold 1.4 million in a similar time frame, but this was probably a typical GAF drive by post, so...I doubt accuracy was much of a concern. Probably won't even see this.

Never mind the fact that SF5 is still selling.

I'm not buying MH:W due to them not localizing this so I can only hope this strategy craters for them.

So what you're saying is you're not going to jump in on an entirely new generation just because you're not getting an English version of an already released spin-off you can easily import through the eShop? Whatever. It's your money. The way I see it, Japan and importers eat up XX, World sells at least a million in the West, Capcom notices both Japan and West have a lot of Switch owners and boom. Monster Hunter 6th Gen on PS/XB/SW/PC. Maybe even a Monster Hunter Portable 5th world wide for Switch only until 6th gen. I'm getting XX but I'd much rather have 5th gen on Switch. I think that's inevitable at this point. If World does well, then Capcom has to benefit both markets because they're a company. You know what companies like? Money.

Thoraxes

So what you're saying is you're not going to jump in on an entirely new generation just because you're not getting an English version of an already released spin-off you can easily import through the eShop? Whatever. It's your money. The way I see it, Japan and importers eat up XX, World sells at least a million in the West, Capcom notices both Japan and West have a lot of Switch owners and boom. Monster Hunter 6th Gen on PS/XB/SW/PC. Maybe even a Monster Hunter Portable 5th world wide for Switch only until 6th gen. I'm getting XX but I'd much rather have 5th gen on Switch. I think that's inevitable at this point. If World does well, then Capcom has to benefit both markets because they're a company. You know what companies like? Money.

Still can't transfer your English Generations save over to the JP version of either the 3DS or Switch versions of XX. For a lot of us, restarting is a pain, and I know none of my friends will be importing aside from me (maybe I can get one). But i'm not supporting Capcom US releases anymore because of the situation surrounding XX as well.

Not my loss if I wasn't going to get the game anyways.

leroidys

Those sales are absolutely insane.......especially when you consider that the game basically requires you to buy 1-2 $70 controllers just to play it properly.
Eh, it's surprisingly playable with the joy con grips actually. I'm usually not a pad player though.

Top Bottom