• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Certain Canadian Target Stores selling Wii U Basics for $149.99

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Throw in one of those pro controllers and you have a deal. I wouldn't mind trying to pair that to my phone or computer.

dab0ne

I would get the 32GB version for $150. I remember saying the 32GB Wii U would be $150 on black friday and people calling me crazy. I still bet it happens ;)

drspeedy

Geezus those are blowout prices

$149 is discontinuation pricing... could be to make room for some new bundles, or just flat out not going to carry it (unlikely).

Target cut the PSPgo down to $69.94 to clear out stock when they stopped carrying it... 50% markdown. This isn't quite that drastic, but still a serious cut.

Liberty4all

Banned
$149 is discontinuation pricing... could be to make room for some new bundles, or just flat out not going to carry it (unlikely).

Target cut the PSPgo down to $69.94 to clear out stock when they stopped carrying it... 50% markdown. This isn't quite that drastic, but still a serious cut.

its almost at HDDVD player levels ... There are sale prices and then there are "damage to your brand" prices. This is the latter. Who the fuck will buy a WiiU now for 250?

I'm half tempted to cancel my PS4 preorder and pick one up ... I doubt we will see the wiiu this low again for at least 6 months.

I may wait until I get payed Wednesday then try to find one. I'm sure RFD will have them cleaned out by then though. I wonder if EBgames is blowing them out too?

Ceadeus

Gold Member
It's a steal at this price! I really love mine even if I bought it full priced. It's just like I had à dreamcast with pso but it's WiiU and Monster Hunter!! Very fun system and I could not go back to system that has not Miiverse or something comparable.

ToxicAdam

Not surprising. I'm sure many retailers are starting to feel the pressure of clearing out shelf-space to make room for the new wave of consoles/games.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The Wii U is reminding me of the Sega CD/32x right after the Saturn dropped out of nowhere (before PS1 came out) Crazy/insane deals man.

Liberty4all

Banned
The Wii U is reminding me of the Sega CD/32x right after the Saturn dropped out of nowhere (before PS1 came out) Crazy/insane deals man.

I'm getting more of a Dreamcast vibe. Nintendo wont fold like Sega did though ... They will fight to the bitter end. Maybe Gamecube is the better comparison? I'm sure come Christmas they will sell like hotcakes as all ninty stuff does during the holidays.

SmokyDave

Really? "tempted" at this price? It's a fucking no brainer price for a video game enthusiast forum.

and the posts about it not being worth the price? My mind is so full of fuckksssss
It would seem that different people place different values on different things. What might look like a bargain to one man, is a rip-off to another. A third man might feel he's getting a fairly good deal, whilst his friend feels like it's slightly overpriced.

I know, I know. Blew my mind too.

Liberty4all

Banned
It would seem that different people place different values on different things. What might look like a bargain to one man, is a rip-off to another. A third man might feel he's getting a fairly good deal, whilst his friend feels like it's slightly overpriced.

At 150 its worth it to me for SMB alone and the promise of Smash Bros and SMK to come.

but yeah I can see how for many, a less powerful system, the lack of games combined with PS4 and x1 around the corner make me he system unappealing ... At any price

Hoo-doo

Banned
Really? "tempted" at this price? It's a fucking no brainer price for a video game enthusiast forum.

and the posts about it not being worth the price? My mind is so full of fuckksssss

I honestly wouldn't fucking know what to play on the damn thing if I got one. Cheap or not it still has a pitiful library right now.

Still too much, wait for $99
That's my max too, $99 including shipping if it's not from a brick & mortar store. Honestly we'll probably be able to get one for a hundred bucks off eBay or Craigslist by the end of the year, the thing has no demand whatsoever so anyone who wants to sell theirs is going to have to bend over.

I only want a WiiU for Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart...
problem is I hope the console is around then!

Going to wait feel that once the PS4 & Xbox one comes out the price will plummet.

£150 for. deluxe and I will bite, heck may even put off buying a PS4 for a while

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
At 150 its worth it to me for SMB alone and the promise of Smash Bros and SMK to come.

but yeah I can see how for many, a less powerful system, the lack of games combined with PS4 and x1 around the corner make me he system unappealing ... At any price

I'd say it's more like, if you care about Nintendo games it's a great deal, if you don't, it doesn't really matter because the thing could be free and not worth the space it takes up.

Striek

I hope we get some retailers here in Aus that are willing to do this :(

Half-price? Yeah OK Nintendo, I'm in.

wildfire

Banned
Even with international shipping into the US I might consider this. I'll make up my mind in a week. Thanks for the tip OP.

Johnny

First thought "$150? Sweet! I can totally play Pikmin 3 now."
Second thought "All I want to play is Pikmin 3, and it's going to cost me near $240 after taxes to do it. Nope."

Akey

Banned
Came into thread expecting a bunch of people say lol not worth it I hate Nintendo reply and did not leave disappointed.

I would say grab this if you ever plan to get a Wii U as I doubt you will see much lower any time soon.

SmokyDave

Came into thread expecting a bunch of people say lol not worth it I hate Nintendo replays and did not leave disappointed.

I would say grab this if you ever plan to get a Wii U as I doubt you will see much lower any time soon.
People keep saying that and it keeps getting lower.

Dio

Banned
Came into thread expecting a bunch of people say lol not worth it I hate Nintendo replays and did not leave disappointed.

I've never once said I hate Nintendo. I just think the WiiU is heavily lacking as it is right now. I've never bought a console for the 'hope that maybe there will be games in the future', I buy them once they're already out for it. I never buy on launch because of this. Even if it was 100 USD, what's the point if it's a paperweight as it is right now?

E: I even have a Wii and haven't sold it yet because it at least has Rhythm Heaven, Sin and Punishment 2, the MP trilogy and Muramasa to support it, and plays my Gamecube games.

What does this even mean? What is a "Nintendo replay"?

I picked mine up this morning.

For $150 and getting NintendoLand, Assassians Creed 3, Batman: Arkham City, and COD:BLOPS 2 from Walmart for $10 each it's a no brainier for me.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yeah, at $50 less than the Deluxe the basic set was a moron pack. But at $150, the Basic set is a GREAT value. Drop another like $60 for an external 1TB USB drive and you are set. And if you are buying a ton of disc games to start with you can even move that purchase down the line.

lol not worth it I hate Nintendo replays, not lol not worth it I hate Nintendo replays. The 'replay' of the same thing being said over and over.

Oh okay then.

The question is, how low can Wii U go before it hits that magical "impulse buy" threshold? I'm thinking it's somewhere around $99.99, but stores would only go that low if they needed to permanently clear out stock and they couldn't sell through existing inventory.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
No games worthwhile yet, make it 100, seriously. For a basic bundle, you will have to invest in a bigger HDD. Make a $250 SKU with at least a 320GB HDD and have a few more games and I might be tempted.

Akey

Banned
I edited it just to be clear. I agree its silly to buy something for the potential of games in the future but really anyone who buys a launch system is doing that. I really think this being so cheap is a result of basic appearing to be abandon and not selling rather then just cheap because its not selling. Nintendo is not going to abandon the Wii U any time soon because it can still move 1-2m software for the titles it has.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
lol I said gat damn.

At $99 I'd bite too for the novelty of owning Nintendo's last console and the handfull of games.

With not enough games, the 100 price would be the most I would entertain. Even if it's as noted, a wait for X waiting game.

SmokyDave

The question is, how low can Wii U go before it hits that magical "impulse buy" threshold? I'm thinking it's somewhere around $99.99, but stores would only go that low if they needed to permanently clear out stock and they couldn't sell through existing inventory.
I dunno man (or lady, to be more accurate). Everyone has a different point. I cracked at £199.99 for a premium with Zombi U because I wanted a black Wii U and the only game I was interested in happened to be bundled. On reflection, I kinda regret buying it, but that's neither here nor there. For the mass market, I honestly think they need to undercut the PS3 &360 before it becomes the impulse buy of choice. I might be overestimating the saturation point of the HD twins however.

Even at that price, the first thought that crossed my mind was "meh."

There just isn't a single game for that console that I'm interested in playing and that I can't already play on another platform.

I'll bite @ $99 after the next Zelda and Metroid are out.

Gbraga

Man I hope we get bomba prices in Brazil as well, then I wouldn't have to wait for X to get me a WiiU and would be able to play The Wonderful 101 sooner

kswiston

I know this is a hilarious and time honoured American joke, but it's been close to par since 2009.

Other than a brief dip in late 2008/early 2009, it's actually been pretty close since 2005 or 2006. The days where 1 USD = $1.50+ CDN (which inspired jokes on the Simpsons and other places) happened like a decade ago.

144 for a Wii U...I'd do it for sure at 100 but I doubt thats going to happen. We'll see if this price sticks long term in the US.

Anyone in or around Toronto get one at this price? I am in Aurora, would check today but I am guessing everything is closed for the "Civic" holiday.

zruben

Banned
this kind of threads always remember me of those "antique shops" TV shows.

Stores: "Hi, I have this Nintendo console, I'm trying to sell it for 150 dollars".
Gaf: "I'll give you 10 bucks, and I'm really taking a risk here"
Stores: "Ok, I can accept 99 bucks"
Gaf: "12 bucks and an old shoe... that's my final price".
Stores: Ok.jpg

Top Bottom