• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Certain Canadian Target Stores selling Wii U Basics for $149.99

DJ_Lae

Went to the closest Target (West Edmonton Mall), all sold out. The guy there said some dude bought three or four of them. No doubt an RFDer, I should check Kijiji to see if they're already up there - I'm sure they are, this will be another repeat of the Tim Hortons attempted Tassimo selloff.

But maybe it's for the best. I didn't really want white, and as I was driving over there part of me kept asking "What the fuck is wrong with you?" because I couldn't think of a single damn game I actually wanted to play immediately, and Wind Waker is the only thing in the near future that actually excites me. And I don't know if that's worth $150 - at least, not right now.

Gimme the ZombiU bundle for $200-$250.

Man, when Ninty announces that they're doing an Nintendo Direct later this month EVERYONE is going to flip their shit. They have to be planning to do exactly what they did with the 3DS.

Really? Oh come on..
Personally, I don't buy a product unless I have some rather immediate use for it; so let's say I didn't want a Wii U 'now', although I know it is currently on sale and will not be able to get it later this cheap even though I 'will' get it at some point. I just rather get it later when I have an immediate use for it.

It may not seem financially reasonable, but as a habit, it will eventually pay off, as a lot of things you buy cause they are cheap, eventually will be put into a very limited use.

Man, when Ninty announces that they're doing an Nintendo Direct later this month EVERYONE is going to flip their shit. They have to be planning to do exactly what they did with the 3DS.
I would say if they don't announce a price drop sooner or later people are going to flip their shit.

SmokyDave

Slash the price, rush out two Mario games and prey the competition is stillborn?

Man, they could sell literally tens of thousands of consoles per month!

Riki

It would have been interesting to see if steep discounting in the US would have moved an appreciable number of Basic units. Probably not, but I would have bought one at $150.
It certainly would have moved units. However Nintendo made a deal with retailers in the US to buy them back. Likely to be refurbished as white 32GB systems.

WillyFive

Slash the price, rush out two Mario games and prey the competition is stillborn?

Man, they could sell literally tens of thousands of consoles per month!

Yeah, I don't think Nintendo has the cards they had to bring the 3DS back to life this time. The 3DS was overpriced, they could slash the price by a significant margin; but the Wii U is already selling at a loss. The Vita was a non-issue for the 3DS, but the PS4 and Xbox One is the only thing the gaming industry will be paying attention to later this year.

I'd like to see Nintendo do something similar to what they did with the 3DS, but that doesn't seem doable.

Mad Max

Really? Oh come on..

I try to avoid buying stuff just because it's a "great deal" if I don't really want or need it at that point. I mean 50 is cheap for a console, but it's still 50 in the end. Currently there is no must have game on the Wii U for me and I'm not interested enough in the hardware itself to spend 50 just for that either.

Yeah, I don't think Nintendo has the cards they had to bring the 3DS back to life this time. The 3DS was overpriced, they could slash the price by a significant margin; but the Wii U is already selling at a loss. The Vita was a non-issue for the 3DS, but the PS4 and Xbox One is the only thing the gaming industry will be paying attention to later this year.

I'd like to see Nintendo do something similar to what they did with the 3DS, but that doesn't seem doable.

It's possible if both consoles when they launch have sets of issues and no really impressive launch games. Nintendo could be the cheap alternative with the best versions (compared to current gen) of the titles like Ghosts and Watch Dogs this fall along side exclusives like Mario and Sonic. It is a much more dire situation than the 3DS was in for sure though.

Kade

I called the Target in my city to check if they were doing the deal as well and the guy in the electronics department said that they haven't stocked Wii Us since they opened in March.

Good luck with that! :D

If Nintendo don't do something along the lines of what I posted then WiiU will be unsalvageable after this Winter, even in North America imo. Many people already think it is.

Iwata is a complete moron if he thinks 3D World and DK are going to shift $350 consoles up against PS4 / XBO and really, really, really cheap PS360 consoles / bundles.

zeitgeist

Managed to grab one. Wasn't going to get one until more stuff came out for it but at $150 it is worth it IMO.

They also didn't charge tax so it was $150 even.

Gannd

Banned
Pathetic because people don't want to spend triple digits on a console that might never have a great game at this rate?

Grow up.

It already has a great game. Two of them. You say the same shit in every Wii U thread. You're not interested in the console but you seem to be very interested in telling everybody how uninterested you are. How very grown up of you.

Toronto here, Centre point mall (yonge) doesn't have any in stock.

I feel lied to.

I give up, I'll just wait for Nintendo to do a price drop.

Banned
Toronto here, Centre point mall (yonge) doesn't have any in stock.

I feel lied to.

I give up, I'll just wait for Nintendo to do a price drop.
I'm gonna try cloverdale mall target. It would be a great gift for the little ones.

trixx

I'm so mad that I paid 400 with the tax. 150 is cheaper than a 3ds. Basically unless a white 3ds xl releases I'm not paying more than 129 for an xl, Pokemon can go to hell. 150 with a free game.

Mildly tempting based on price alone, but there is nothing out now or in the near future to justify it for me. I made the mistake of Day 1ing the Wii and it's gathered a ton of dust since. Not that I could get in on this specific deal anyways, but this price would be an aggressive if costly way for Nintendo to try and coerce the casual market to pick it up is it was a global price cut.

Banned
East mall Target in Toronto is sold out of Basic sets. Even their ads and flyers only advertise the Deluxe Wii U.

Really? Oh come on..

I kind of agree with the guy. My main issue is just a lack of HDMI and power inputs around my entertainment center. I would want to play this on my big screen with surround sound, but it would mean me either having to unplug my PS3 or 360, (or router, modem, TV, subwoofer or reciever), all of which are more important to me to keep plugged in than it would be to plug in a Wii U. Honestly, if I was given one for free right now it would probably just sit in a box until Wonderful 101 gets released and promptly be placed back in its box afterwards.

Mario 3D World may be enough to sway me as well down the line, but not now.

Top Bottom