• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Certain games in Amazon requires Prime membership in order to purchase them

jediyoshi

EDIT: And in retrospect, I wouldn't say it's much like Costco, where you approach it knowing full well that you can't even peruse the goods inside without a paid membership. It's more like shopping in grocery/drug stores & coming across an item that is discounted only for those enrolled in their card programs, except that 1) non-members can still buy the items directly at the regular price, and 2) said membership cards are free (AFAIK).

I can't tell if you're making the case that one is worse than the other.

Gren

Well, how annoyed would you be if you walked into a Safeway for a specific item & found you couldn't even buy it without being a member? Or that in order to buy it at at full price as a non-member, you had to go to a different part of the aisle for it? It's just not something you'd come to expect when shopping at a store that historically makes its wares available to everyone.

It's not like I'm saying to boycott Amazon or anything, but this certainly doesn't make shopping there any easier.

Ideally it reiterates what people should already be doing in looking up their other sellers listings and using their Prime to better use.

Yeah, it should still be possible to get games with free shipping through other sellers; though I'm betting games only sold by Amazon are eligible for that release day delivery, right?

jediyoshi

Well, how annoyed would you be if you walked into a Safeway for a specific item & found you couldn't even buy it without being a member? Or that in order to buy it at at full price as a non-member, you had to go to a different part of the aisle for it? It's just not something you'd come to expect when shopping at a store that historically makes its wares available to everyone.

It's not like I'm saying to boycott Amazon or anything, but this certainly doesn't make shopping there any easier.

Eventually the metaphor breaks down because going to a different aisle in this instance is just checking the sellers page, wherein the purchasing process for the end user plays out identically moving forward.

Yeah, it should still be possible to get games with free shipping through other sellers; though I'm betting games only sold by Amazon are eligible for that release day delivery, right?

May be a moot point since I don't see Amazon locking preorders to Prime members. At most there'd be some sort of definite, limited quality involved.

Gren

Eventually the metaphor breaks down because going to a different aisle in this instance is just checking the sellers page, wherein the purchasing process for the end user plays out identically moving forward.

I realize everyone's online shopping habits differ, but I personally only browse Amazon for products sold by it or its affiliates (I value their customer support & return policy). Running a search, seeing the Amazon price, then clicking on the link only to find I'm ineligible for purchase & must resort to other sellers is nothing but a bother. And even if it is carried by a fulfillment partner, if the price is anything but the same it leaves me disappointed. If they want to adopt a supposed Costco/Sam's model they could go about it better, because in its current state it adds *nothing* to my Amazon shopping experience.

finalflame

Amazon is a retailer and can do whatever they want. I'm sure no small amount of market research and planning went into this decision; Amazon is not the type of company to make non-data-driven decisions.

For those outraged: just buy games elsewhere, or get Prime. Even at full price ($99/year), it's a terrific value and there are tons of savings and convenience to be had in switching most of your shopping to Amazon.

vypek

Amazon is a retailer and can do whatever they want. I'm sure no small amount of market research and planning went into this decision; Amazon is not the type of company to make non-data-driven decisions.

For those outraged: just buy games elsewhere, or get Prime. Even at full price ($99/year), it's a terrific value and there are tons of savings and convenience to be had in switching most of your shopping to Amazon.

Thats true. I wonder what the data found for them. Maybe it will save them money by not serving non-prime customers or finding that more people will sign up for prime.

I can see why this would be upsetting for people if they use Amazon ONLY for games. The one thing I got from Best Buy using GCU was delivered two days late and I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon as is

finalflame

Thats true. I wonder what the data found for them. Maybe it will save them money by not serving non-prime customers or finding that more people will sign up for prime.

I can see why this would be upsetting for people if they use Amazon ONLY for games. The one thing I got from Best Buy using GCU was delivered two days late and I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon as is

Generally speaking Amazon operates on very thin margins but very high volume. It's possible the games in question have an even slimmer margin than most other games, so it's not worth it to deliver to non-Prime members? Who knows; it's also possible they're looking to "add" value to Prime by removing value from regular shoppers.

But yah, at least if you're in NA, GCU would be a good alternative at $30/2 years for ONLY games: 20% off ALL games and launch day store pickup, plus it stacks with promotional prices. I have both Prime and GCU and just use whichever one is cheapest/most convenient for what I want.

Trike

I also work for Amazon and think this is just swell. We are so proud of our Amazon Prime benefits that we take away pre-existing shopping options available to all shoppers and make them a new Amazon Prime member benefit.

Not a big fan of this, but as a longtime Prime member, this doesn't affect me at all and it's not going to change my buying habits in the slightest.

atpbx

I hardly buy anything from Amazon anymore, their prices are nothing special and their home delivery service is wank unless they use DPD.

You are better off just stopping of at Asda for console games and Blu-Ray's these days.

finalflame

I also work for Amazon and think this is just swell. We are so proud of our Amazon Prime benefits that we take away pre-existing shopping options available to all shoppers and make them a new Amazon Prime member benefit.

*shrug* Amazon is becoming more and more like a "club". I can't go into Sam's Club or Costco and get their prices without a membership. I honestly don't see an issue with this at all; the existing benefits from Prime are already so good, and the service so great, that the $99/year I pay is entirely justified. The amount of value and convenience I get out of my Prime membership with free Same-Day, Prime Now, 20% off game pre-orders, Amazon Video, Amazon Music, Family Sharing, amongst other things more than makes up for the price.

I think there's a very good value proposition in Prime for most people. If it's not for you..shop elsewhere? Buying a specific game at Amazon is not a right. There are plenty of options, and it perhaps speaks volumes that people are bothered by this simply because, by and large, Amazon is the best of them. If you enjoy shopping at Amazon so much, Prime is a no-brainer. And I'll further say that if ALL you buy at Amazon is video games, but you're already super happy with that experience, then it would benefit you to get Prime and switch all/most of your shopping over to Amazon. I personally have Amazon Fresh as well and do all my grocery shopping with them and it's absolutely fantastic.

Sandfox

Generally speaking Amazon operates on very thin margins but very high volume. It's possible the games in question have an even slimmer margin than most other games, so it's not worth it to deliver to non-Prime members? Who knows; it's also possible they're looking to "add" value to Prime by removing value from regular shoppers.

But yah, at least if you're in NA, GCU would be a good alternative at $30/year for ONLY games: 20% off ALL games and launch day store pickup, plus it stacks with promotional prices. I have both Prime and GCU and just use whichever one is cheapest/most convenient for what I want.

GCU is $30 for two years.

atpbx

I realize everyone's online shopping habits differ, but I personally only browse Amazon for products sold by it or its affiliates (I value their customer support & return policy). Running a search, seeing the Amazon price, then clicking on the link only to find I'm ineligible for purchase & must resort to other sellers is nothing but a bother. And even if it is carried by a fulfillment partner, if the price is anything but the same it leaves me disappointed. If they want to adopt a supposed Costco/Sam's model they could go about it better, because in its current state it adds *nothing* to my Amazon shopping experience.

Buying from a fulfilment partner is no different from buying it from Amazon, the stuff still comes out of the same Amazon warehouse, is picked and packed by the same poorly treated and overworked staff on minimum wage, and delivered by the same underpaid self employed slave labour drivers as their own stock.

Amazon used to be my first port of call many years ago, the more you deal with them on a professional level you realise just what a horrible company they are however.

This isn't limited to video games, or even that new. When I tried to buy a Barbie Camper for my daughter at Christmas, I had to borrow a friend's Prime because that was the only way to buy it through Amazon directly.

GCU is $30 for two years.

GCU is definitely the way to go if you are only interested in games. For my wife and I, Prime is great, because we use Amazon for so much more than just software. The $99 fee per year pays for itself pretty quickly for us.

I have both Prime and GCU and I'll probably let my Best Buy sub lapse. Part of that has to do with a number of disappointing experiences I've had with their online store (multiple late shipments for pre-orders, a two week wait time for a Black Friday order I made, and a number of damaged packages).

blackjaw

Seems to be dependent on stock. When there were only a few DQ Heroes left it was "locked" to prime. Now it's open to everyone.

jediyoshi

What exactly is your shopping process in retail physical stores? I can't imagine any scenario in which shopping around for competing prices (which continues to be mitigated here by having all prices listed out on a single page) for identical products is a bother rather than just the way the average person conducts business.

I think you're misunderstanding a point I'm making somewhere, fulfillment through Amazon means the process is completely the same, including support after purchase. Do cheaper available prices on Amazon also negatively affect you the same way if there weren't a wall in place? Why does the Costco model remain relevant if you're solely now looking at this from the perspective of someone not making that membership investment in the retailer to begin with? Would your last statement remain the same if you had Prime?

Gren

What exactly is your shopping process in retail physical stores? I can't imagine any scenario in which shopping around for competing prices (which continues to be mitigated here by having all prices listed out on a single page) for identical products is a bother rather than just the way the average person conducts business.

I think you're misunderstanding a point I'm making somewhere, fulfillment through Amazon means the process is completely the same, including support after purchase. Do cheaper available prices on Amazon also negatively affect you the same way if there weren't a wall in place? Why does the Costco model remain relevant if you're solely now looking at this from the perspective of someone not making that membership investment in the retailer to begin with? Would your last statement remain the same if you had Prime?

Just to be clear, I'm speaking on this from the perspective of one doing some recreational/window-shopping on Amazon. If I am making a more vested purchase that warrants me doing some research, then I approach it with a different & more patient mindset. But in these cases, ease & convenience are tantamount & can mean the difference between me completing an order or just closing the page.

And again, when I go to a Costco there is already an understanding that I need to provide membership before even getting through the doors, let alone see what's inside. To date, Amazon has never imposed such a members-only policy, nor (AFAIK) ever announced any inclination to do so. So until that day arrives, I go there with the general expectation that I'll be able to buy anything they have in stock.

Seriously. They couldnt sound more like shills if they tried.

finalflame

Just to be clear, I'm speaking on this from the perspective of one doing some recreational/window-shopping on Amazon. If I am making a more vested purchase that warrants me doing some research, then I approach it with a different & more patient mindset. But in these cases, ease & convenience are tantamount & can mean the difference between me completing an order or just closing the page.

And again, when I go to a Costco there is already an understanding that I need to provide membership before even getting through the doors, let alone see what's inside. To date, Amazon has never imposed such a members-only policy, nor (AFAIK) ever announced any inclination to do so. So until that day arrives, I go there with the general expectation that I'll be able to buy anything they have in stock.

Sounds like now is the time to readjust that expectation, then.

DirtyLarry

Isn't This just for the Prime discounted price and any member, Prime or not, can still purchase it at normal price?

Going to suck for importers like me. Like in Canada, Gravity Rush PS4 and Uncharted 4 Collectors edition are not sold in Canada. I have to use Amazon.com to get these.

lt519

Fine by me, Prime was already a phenomenal deal without the benefits of free shipping and video game discounts.

DirtyLarry

Not in the UK. There's no such thing as a Prime discount like in the States.
If there is no such thing as Prime in the UK, that means this does not even apply to the UK if there is no Prime. No?
So I believe what I said still holds true.
Non-Prime Members can still purchase the game. They just do not get the Prime discount. The way it has always been since Amazon started this whole 20% discount on video games for Prime members.
It is not you have to be a Prime member to even purchase it. It is you need to be a Prime member to get the discounted Amazon price.

And sure enough, IGN has updated their article...
[Editor's Note: This article was initially a bit misleading -- while certain games will only be available to Prime members when purchased directly from Amazon, all games will still be available for purchase from third-party sellers via Amazon regardless of your Prime membership status. The headline has since been changed and IGN regrets the error.]

That's pretty bad. Fortunately I don't like AAA games, but if they apply this nonsense to niche games they'll lose customers like me.

Hope they realize how stupid it is to do that.

Edit: so, it seems that info wasn't accurate at all.

s_mirage

If there is no such thing as Prime in the UK, that means this does not even apply to the UK if there is no Prime. No?
So I believe what I said still holds true.

No. There's no Prime pre-order or any other discount in the UK, but Prime still exists, and items marked Prime only are just that, Prime only. Yes, you can still buy them from marketplace sellers, but not Amazon themselves.

Abdiel

I only buy books, or games that don't get released through Best Buy through Amazon. I don't buy much else though, in general.

GCU is better than the employee discount, seriously. I have 12+ games preordered for this year through Best Buy. The 20% discount, rewards points, and stacking with other sales all work better for my gaming purchases...

But I've still got a prime membership just in case stuff pops up that I want. This particular thing here is really shitty. I can't really figure how this will work out well for them in the long run.

: /

Lijik

Isn't This just for the Prime discounted price and any member, Prime or not, can still purchase it at normal price?

The way these Prime sales work is you cant purchase it from Amazon as a vendor and have to deal with third party sellers, which depending on the item might not be something you want to do (and again depending on the item might be sold for more than the normal price). In some instances Amazon doesnt make this clear to shoppers either. If you had the item in your cart to say, buy tomorrow on payday, but that next day the sale happens Amazon will put the item in your saved for later and just say the item is Prime Exclusive with language similar to the image in the OP instead of pointing towards third party sellers on the site.

At every step its just an annoyance for non-prime shoppers and poorly communicated. I dont get how this tactic in its current form is supposed to entice people to upgrade.

Top Bottom