• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to sell off Activision cloud gaming rights to Ubisoft in bid for UK approval

Status
Not open for further replies.

freefornow

Gold Member
Over the next 15 years

If the CMA accept this they have been leaned on. Another nothing proposal.
"If the deal is now approved, streaming rights for all new Activision Blizzard PC and console games released over the next 15 years will be given to Ubisoft - with those rights then existing in perpetuity."

Zheph

HOW DARE THEY DO THEIR BLOODY JOB!
fk it if someone can save a few coins on buying Diablo 4 amirite that's all it matters

join the circus GIF

Noxxera

Bitch, stfu. Whatever this thread it's still about the whole purchase of this joint.

It's about the whole purchase of ABK you know?
I dont know how I can put this but.. it takes years to develop games. That's why there haven't been any yet. I can bet even Starfield was in development before Microsoft purchased Bethesda. So plz, get that and stfu about microsoft needing internal restructuring.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I dont know how I can put this but.. it takes years to develop games. That's why there haven't been any yet. I can bet even Starfield was in development before Microsoft purchased Bethesda. So plz, get that and stfu about microsoft needing internal restructuring.

It always takes years sure, but how many years do we hear that right now already?

I can bet even Starfield was in development before Microsoft purchased Bethesda.

Uhh...you don't have to bet on that because it was already in development for years for multiple platforms. The fact that even Starfield is seeing the light first then any of those Xbox first party games that Xbox announced years ago with a much much smaller scope is pretty baffeling.

So plz, get that and stfu about microsoft needing internal restructuring.

Do you work for them that you are so sensitive lol?

Last edited:

Alx

I must be missing something (or not having enough faith in the technology), but I still don’t understand why people make a big deal about cloud gaming. Sure it’s a nice feature that can be valued through some subscriptions, but I can’t see it becoming a huge part of the gaming market.
From my experience with game pass ultimate, it’s nice to have a quick preview of a game (or grab easy « play this game » quest points) but it’s only a gateway to the old « download and play » model. And I don’t really expect next generation to be « play everything through a browser »

Last edited:

Zheph

I must be missing something (or not having enough faith in the technology), but I still don’t understand why people make a big deal about cloud gaming. Sure it’s a nice feature that can be valued through some subscriptions, but I can’t see it becoming a huge part of the gaming market.
From my experience with game pass ultimate, it’s nice to have a quick preview of a game (or grab easy « play this game » quest points) but it’s only a gateway to the old « download and play » model. And I don’t really expect next generation to be « play everything through a browser »
Microsoft seems to think differently

Noxxera

It always takes years sure, but how many years do we hear that right now already?

Uhh...you don't have to bet on that because it was already in development for years for multiple platforms. The fact that even Starfield is seeing the light first then any of those Xbox first party games that Xbox announced years ago with a much much smaller scope is pretty baffeling.

Do you work for them that you are so sensitive lol?

See you can use your brain after all! I have no idea what games started development after Microsoft bought the company, first to my mind might be Hellblade 2 but the 1 was kinda indie in scope so development prolly didn't take too long. AAA games on the other hand I guess takes 5 years average?

What do you mean Starfield has been scaled down in scope? I'm not hardcore invested in the development of the game so I have no idea what you're talking about regarding that but please do tell.

Regarding my sensitivity yes I get triggered easily when ppl say idiotic things on the internet when it's so easy for me to refute it, and no I don't work for Microsoft lol

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
See you can use your brain after all! I have no idea what games started development after Microsoft bought the company, first to my mind might be Hellblade 2 but the 1 was kinda indie in scope so development prolly didn't take too long. AAA games on the other hand I guess takes 5 years average?

You mean Bethesda? All Xbox other games are announced pre-2020. And none of them are released yet.

What do you mean Starfield has been scaled down in scope? I'm not hardcore invested in the development of the game so I have no idea what you're talking about regarding that but please do tell.

I didn't said Starfield was smaller in scope. I said even Starfield released first then all those other games from MS first party from years ago. Those titles are much smaller in scope and yet Starfield is releasing even before those games. But we know that some of the studio's had internal issues and rebooted the games.

Regarding my sensitivity yes I get triggered easily when ppl say idiotic things on the internet when it's so easy for me to refute it, and no I don't work for Microsoft lol

Then you should've had payed attention after all these years to see Xbox their bad first party output. They are lucky that Starfield was already far in development. Otherwise you've would've been stuck with another race game for this year.

Last edited:

Noxxera

You mean Bethesda? All Xbox other games are announced pre-2020. And none of them are released yet.

What games are there? I literally dont know a single exclusive Xbox game I'm waiting for rn.

I didn't said Starfield was smaller in scope. I said even Starfield released first then all those other games from MS first party from years ago. Those titles are much smaller in scope and yet Starfield is releasing even before those games. But we know that some of the studio's had internal issues and rebooted the games.

Yeah Microsoft definitely have a lot of indie studios and release those games which I don't care at all about but good for those that do I guess.

Then you should've had payed attention after all these years to see Xbox their bad first party output. They are lucky that Starfield was already far in development. Otherwise you've wouldn't been stuck with another race game for this year.

After all these years? You mean forever? Lmao it literally has been this case forever for xbox, and microsoft are doing things about this right now but you seemingly want it done impossibly fast. Like mention a franchise to me except Gears of War, Halo and Flight Simulator Xbox/Microsoft has been doing atleast from the 360 era.

This is the strangest agreement I've ever seen.

The only possible reason for this is that MS plans on acquiring Ubisoft down the road. There is no other reason this deal could make sense now.

Yeah havent a new Forza game been released recently or about to release? So you guys can't complain there.

What's the argument here? Yeah, the gears halo forza meme isn't really much of a thing anymore, but that's not a positive when they haven't actually been releasing games in the first place

Noxxera

What's the argument here? Yeah, the gears halo forza meme isn't really much of a thing anymore, but that's not a positive when they haven't actually been releasing games in the first place
Sorry, my point is internal restructuring wont help shite since they need developers in the first place to do the games which they're acquiring now the last years

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

The only possible reason for this is that MS plans on acquiring Ubisoft down the road. There is no other reason this deal could make sense now.

Nah. The clear reason here is that MS is so eager to get the added revenue and the mobile division (King) that they’re willing to make concessions like these.

It’s always been clear. We could see it when they signed deals for COD, ensuring that the doomsday scenario of keeping COD off PlayStation never materialized. People have just been unwilling to accept.

Ozriel

M$FT

No idea why that argument is even taking place in this thread, but they’re about to release two AAA games in the next 3 months, plus 4 next year. That’s a talking point that’s about to be outdated.

Again, irrelevant side discussion that retreads arguments we’ve had a million times in other, more relevant threads.

Helghan

Lol, so they still earn money on it which they can use for the "cloud streaming monopoly" where CMA is so afraid of, just not in the UK.

Great win of CMA /s

Topher

Gold Member
Nah. The clear reason here is that MS is so eager to get the added revenue and the mobile division (King) that they’re willing to make concessions like these.

It’s always been clear. We could see it when they signed deals for COD, ensuring that the doomsday scenario of keeping COD off PlayStation never materialized. People have just been unwilling to accept.

Unwilling to accept what again? I don't recall anyone suggesting Microsoft wasn't willing to make deals to get this acquisition done. That's probably been the most obvious thing about this whole ordeal. Brad Smith was in Brussels saying he had a contract for Sony in his pocket.

Ozriel

M$FT
This is some shady ass shit now to appease and push through, truly pathetic.

What part of this is ‘shady’ or ‘pathetic’?

This is a clear as clear can be. It seems to remove the CMA’s concerns about Cloud, guarantees ALL Activision games on Ubisoft + and could even be a lifeline for Ubisoft as a struggling producer.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
What games are there? I literally dont know a single exclusive Xbox game I'm waiting for rn.

Yeah Microsoft definitely have a lot of indie studios and release those games which I don't care at all about but good for those that do I guess.

After all these years? You mean forever? Lmao it literally has been this case forever for xbox, and microsoft are doing things about this right now but you seemingly want it done impossibly fast. Like mention a franchise to me except Gears of War, Halo and Flight Simulator Xbox/Microsoft has been doing atleast from the 360 era.

When you still after all these years "yes" need to mention Halo and Gears, then you know that it is not a good look for Xbox. Yes they have Starfield right now, but it's not like they developed the game or was exclusive in the first place.

That's why i said that they are lucky that Starfield will release this year, otherwise you would still be stuck with another race game...the typical Xbox "Halo, Gears and Forza" meme. While Gears is from previous gen.

Noxxera

When you still after all these years "yes" need to mention Halo and Gears, then you know that it is not a good look for Xbox. Yes they have Starfield right now, but it's not like they developed the game or was exclusive in the first place.

That's why i said that they are lucky that Starfield will release this year, otherwise you would still be stuck with another race game...the typical Xbox "Halo, Gears and Forza" meme. While Gears is from previous gen.
Anyway my point is patience, microsoft have acquired some developers now and in a few years the exclusive (hopefully) games will come out, internal restructuring wont help shite when they didnt even have the developers in the first place

Banjo64

cumsessed
"If the deal is now approved, streaming rights for all new Activision Blizzard PC and console games released over the next 15 years will be given to Ubisoft - with those rights then existing in perpetuity."
Does that mean that they don’t revert back to Microsoft?

Even in that case, doesn’t that create the issue that these cloud companies would simply be customers of Microsoft, thus still not resolving the competition concerns?

Hudo

Now we just need Sony to buy Ubisoft to really amp up the fuckery
Wouldn't be the worst purchase for Sony. Ubisoft already have a movie studio setup and experience in "moviefying" their IPs. Could be a good fit for Sony. But all the more gameplay-heavy franchises like Anno or Rayman might get sold off again.

Three

If they planned to buy Ubisoft then the thing getting them blocked currently comes into play again (owning Activision game rights) plus possibly Assassin's Creed. There is no way that it would pass regulators a second time with even more IPs unless the power of those IPs have dwindled significantly when they do.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Well no, it won’t materialise for 10 years.

MrTired

Does that mean that they don’t revert back to Microsoft?

Even in that case, doesn’t that create the issue that these cloud companies would simply be customers of Microsoft, thus still not resolving the competition concerns?
I think it's specific referring to games released in those 15 years, Ubisoft retains the rights to the streaming licences for perpetuity.

TrebleShot

What an utterly bizarre agreement, Ubisoft must be laughing all the way to the bank.

They’ve inherited COD watch them drop xdefiant like a hot potato.

Absolutely bizarre but as others have said MS will be purchasing Ubi fairly soon then.

They don’t hand all of this over with a one off payment and the deal is forever without a long term plan.

The only singular way this works is if it’s streaming exclusively.

Ubisoft already has a streaming platform but I haven’t tried it , but remarkably interesting is if this comes to Sony platforms.

Sony does not currently have a streaming solution on their platform outside of their own. This would force their hand.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Now we just need Sony to buy Ubisoft to really amp up the fuckery
There’s likely a clause that if UbiSoft is sold the rights immediately revert. Marvel has a similar one with the Spider-Man (and previously X-Men/FF) movie rights. If Sony ever sells off Colombia Pictures or eliminates the Colombia Pictures brand, the Spider-Man movie rights immediately revert to Marvel.

Topher

Gold Member
Anyway my point is patience, microsoft have acquired some developers now and in a few years the exclusive (hopefully) games will come out, internal restructuring wont help shite when they didnt even have the developers in the first place

Of course they have the developers. Microsoft bought Ninja Theory, Compulsion, Playground, Inxile, Undead Labs and Obsidian and started up The Initiative five years ago.

X-Wing

The CMA is in the end the only regulator that actually thought about consumers.
Also, people are saying this is worldwide but that seems to be incorrect, in Europe Microsoft will still hold the cloud licenses because the sort of concessions that were made are different, whether they are better or worse for consumers than the ones in place in the UK remains to be seen.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
What an utterly bizarre agreement, Ubisoft must be laughing all the way to the bank.

They’ve inherited COD watch them drop xdefiant like a hot potato.

Absolutely bizarre but as others have said MS will be purchasing Ubi fairly soon then.

They don’t hand all of this over with a one off payment and the deal is forever without a long term plan.

The only singular way this works is if it’s streaming exclusively.

Ubisoft already has a streaming platform but I haven’t tried it , but remarkably interesting is if this comes to Sony platforms.

Sony does not currently have a streaming solution on their platform outside of their own. This would force their hand.

Yeah, it's directly related to cloud gaming. They don't just own all the licensing rights otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom