• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chelsea fans prevent black man boarding Paris metro train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuffty

So one of the men involved in this was an ex-police officer and is currently a director with a human rights organisation - the World Human Rights Forum - and has also worked with supporting victims of the Troubles in N.Ireland.

What the fuck dude?

inky

I feel that this incident has been blown up way to much. I wouldn't dispute that the chanting appears racist or claim that these fans are a charming bunch of individuals, but I think the commuter involved had a big part to play in the incident, and he has been milking it since.

I absolutely agree.

Had he just refrained from being black all of this could've been avoided. Heck, fuck the "had a big part to play in the incident bit", it was ALL his fault. Let's ban him from stadiums and metro carriages. Only way to be sure this won't happen again.

Mael

I feel that this incident has been blown up way to much. I wouldn't dispute that the chanting appears racist or claim that these fans are a charming bunch of individuals, but I think the commuter involved had a big part to play in the incident, and he has been milking it since.

You would have to be completely mad, or trying to be provocative to try and squeeze on to a full metro carriage packed full of English football fans. I suspect the latter. Its not a racial thing, there is no way I would have tried to get on that carriage. I think the chanting started after he had been trying to force his way on. And he has been coming or with all this stuff about how it it had made him scared of travelling on metro etc I just don't believe him and I think he is loving the attention. If he uses a bit of common sense it won't happen again. Football fans are noisy and easy to avoid.

"she had it coming and what was she doing wearing a skirt above the knee"

Izuna

Banned

You would have to be completely mad, or trying to be provocative to try and squeeze on to a full metro carriage packed full of English football fans. I suspect the latter. Its not a racial thing, there is no way I would have tried to get on that carriage. I think the chanting started after he had been trying to force his way on. And he has been coming or with all this stuff about how it it had made him scared of travelling on metro etc I just don't believe him and I think he is loving the attention. If he uses a bit of common sense it won't happen again. Football fans are noisy and easy to avoid.

please tell me this is satire

So one of the men involved in this was an ex-police officer and is currently a director with a human rights organisation - the World Human Rights Forum - and has also worked with supporting victims of the Troubles in N.Ireland.

What the fuck dude?

Yeah, I read that on the BBC earlier, although he seems to be saying that he was near the group but was not actually with them and didn't take part in the racism. Would be good if they can prove it either way from CCTV, but if it's true I hope the bastard loses his job and is permanently banned from Chelsea games.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, I read that on the BBC earlier, although he seems to be saying that he was near the group but was not actually with them and didn't take part in the racism. Would be good if they can prove it either way from CCTV, but if it's true I hope the bastard loses his job and is permanently banned from Chelsea games.

why did he let it happen though? Seriously

He didn't even report the other players. Sad to think that if the person didn't record the video, no one would know.

Fans literally calling themselves racists, they are doing so loudly and proudly, yet:

So, when does it become racial?

I already said the chanting was racist. I am just saying that stopping him getting on the train wasn't necessarily a racial thing - I don think they would have let anyone (white or black) onto the carriage.

MiszMasz

67797-Krysten-Ritter-ugh-wtf-gif-han-FbuE.gif

inky

I already said the chanting was racist.

No, you said you wouldn't dispute it appears racist, which is pretty elaborate wording to tiptoe around just calling racists racists.

I am just saying that stopping him getting on the train wasn't necessarily a racial thing - I don think they would have let anyone (white or black) onto the carriage.

But it was when they began singing. Then you blamed the victim for contributing to it for wanting to use the carriage, again, trying to excuse their behavior as not racist.

Like, get some fucking perspective already.

jmood88

Mental gymnastics. The post.

Good lord. People are chanting they are racist and someone has the courage to come here and say it is not racist. Carriage was just full. And the victim should have known better than entering a train full of football fans.

Geez.
The lengths people will go to explain away racist behavior are unfathomable. A group of people literally singing about how racist they are isn't enough proof that they're racist. It's amazing.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

Fuck your victim blaming. Next!

Football fans are noisy and easy to avoid.

But sometimes it's NOT easy to avoid. I've had to get on trains FILLED with drunk sports fans. Had. As in, if I don't get on this train I can either wait 1-3 hours for the next train or just not go home.

I don't consider that easy to avoid. You're spouting some nonsense.

leadbelly

Banned
Or you know, all their Adebayor chants... Until he actually came to play for them.

I'm not sure they were even charged for that.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ebayor-chant-is-not-racist-say-Tottenham.html

Anyway, I wasn't saying there aren't any incidents that were racist, only that considering their own chants about themselves have been considered racist, I wonder how many were actually them referring to themselves. There was an inevitable defiance of that judgement.

I find it hilarious that someone would suggest it's provocative to try and get on a packed train.

Have you tried using public transport at peak time? You literally have to fight to get a spot and good luck having anyone respect your personal space. I had a group of schoolgirls literally crushing me on my way home today on the tube.

Did they even blink at using me as their personal leaning post? Did they fuck...

Update,

The UK's Metropolitan Police has summoned five football fans to answer allegations of racism.

It relates to an incident captured on camera, prior to Chelsea's European Champions League match with Paris Saint-Germain last month.

In the French capital before the match an apparent group of Chelsea fans are caught on camera, appearing to prevent a black man boarding the Paris Metro.

The video, widely shared on social media, also depicted the group of men chanting: "We're racist, we're racist and that's the way we like it."

The man in the video was blocked several times from boarding the train and shoved off at least twice. He was later identified as Souleymane S, a 33-year-old Parisian on his way home from work.

London's Met Police had appealed for help to identify those responsible but in a statement released Wednesday, said five men were due in court later this month.

It read: "On 10 March and 11 March, the Metropolitan Police Service served summonses on five men involved in incidents on the Paris Metro before the Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea Champions League fixture on Tuesday 17 February.

"They have been summonsed to appear at Waltham Forest Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, 25 March regarding a police application for football banning orders."

The authorities have not identified any of the alleged perpetrators.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/11/football/football-chelsea-racism-paris-summons/

Some good news.

JDSN

Banned

Still the most hilarious post.

I already said the chanting was racist. I am just saying that stopping him getting on the train wasn't necessarily a racial thing - I don think they would have let anyone (white or black) onto the carriage.

Alright but I'm hard pressed to understand why you don't believe it's less likely for someone to say something racist (racist chant) and follow it up with something neutral (refuse a seat due simply to the fullness of a carriage), than to say something racist and also do something motivated by racism that could be perceived as neutral to an audience (refusing a seat to someone because they're black). The latter seems like the most likely motives here. I mean they were pretty forceful despite a passenger leaving right before the guy arrived.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Is this for real? Whaaaaaat? You do realize they were actually chanting they were racist, right? Are you actually blaming the guy for wanting to use the metro? What am I reading???

Edit: Just realized this is not a brand new thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom