• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese Foxconn sketch artists returns with the NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eolz

quick translation (native speaker btw):

OK9qeo5.jpg

Thanks for that!

Got a translation:

NX is a two in one portable
Composed of three parts
Dock, built in hard drive, cartridge port and interface for tv output etc..
Handheld - built in battery, CPU & GPU. Bluetooth + Wifi. Can plug in to dock to become like static console similar to PS4/XB1.
6 inch screen 720p. Can display on TV too like Wii U / Nvidia Shield.
Less powerful than PS4.
Reveal October. If not then delayed.
2 chip options, either Tegra or AMD.

OmegaX

I can translate the original post here (brackets are my comments.)

"NX is a console-handheld hybrid. It is detachable. It contains the console itself, performance module, and the handheld/gamepad.

The console (I think it is supposed to be a dock. I'll call it a dock from now on) contains HDD, cartridge slot and various other interfaces. It supports TV output (but no CPU/GPU).
The performance module is a portable device that provides power supply. It contains a Li-Ion battery. CPU/GPU also is contained inside. It supports Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and wired connections. You plug the dock inside and it becomes a PS4/Xbone like console, but you can also transfer the signals to the handheld (like Remote Play?)
There are two candidate SoC for it: Pascal SoC from nVidia or AMD R9 SoC.

The handheld part is a 6 inch 720p screen and has a low-TDP SoC, which can satisfy basic operations with lower quality graphics when the performance module is not connected. But it can also display game graphics from the performance module which can provide a console-level graphics. A bit like nVidia Shield streaming. You can bring the performance module with you portable (since it has its own battery).

Additional info: whatever the solution will be, the computing power it has falls far behind a PS4, let alone a PS4 Pro. Don't have high hopes for that. The selling point for it is high portability and hybrid providing rich gameplay possibilities.

If details don't get revealed in Oct then maybe wait for the beginning of next year. I welcome you guys to necrobump this post. Period."
So NX has 3 parts? That's definitely new information. Everybody thought it was just the dock and the portable device.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Thanks for the translation. We need to clarify as soon as possible if the user who posted it is the same as the one who posted about PS4 Pro / Slim or, in case he isn't, if he reliable enough to be trusted.

lt519

Weird, don't want to have to carry two things around to get best performance. Although the Wii U gamepad was great around the house but it's range was awful, so I could get a lot of use out of that being dockable.

When I travel for work for a week do I then have to bring the dock too it can I plug in the performance module to an outlet?

Could also open up the door for easy modular upgrades. Just buy a new performance module.

Astorgh

Console level performance on the go, but only if you are willing to carry a brick.

Wow. Wasn't expecting that at all.

ekim

Thank you so much!

So, not two pictures of one device at the top and bottom of the image, then, but just two different devices. So three pieces. HH, booster and console.

Anyone get a sense about answers to these questions
:

You can take the booster with you. What's the HH like without the booster? What's the console like without the booster? I guess it has no GPU or CPU it requires the boooster to run?

Do you plug the HH in to the dock or only the booster? If only the booster, does that mean the HH is also a Wii U like screen controller when needed?

Yes to all question would be what I would answer after reading this.

Guymelef

Remember the PS4 Slim/Pro leaker never gave detailed specs, just form, ports, model number and that's all.
That makes me think if it's the same dude.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If that's what they're going for, that screams $199 price point and a huge impulse buy opportunity.

The "chip option" is interesting--perhaps those who want better graphics can buy the AMD chip for more power?

Still don't believe it yet. I can't see why they'd have this information when they JUST put in the order.

GameE

Jesus, people need to read the thread and it should be in the OP:

It's not the same person who leaked the PS4 stuff

Oli

To me it sounds like when you're in range or plugged in it has the Wii U power, when you leave the range of the booster it can't run certain games anymore?

Aters

It doesn't really make sense that he has a detailed description of everything but then goes on saying it's either using Tegra or something from AMD.

Why would a Foxcon worker have seen the NX already if Nintendo don't even know what SoC it'll use? How can they start production for something that supposedly launches in March if they don't yet know what chips they use? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Maybe for the same reason we haven't heard it from Nintendo yet? He did suggest a possibility of delay.

Trago

A bit confused by this. The dock doesn't provide extra power, but detached, the handheld is at a lower fidelity?

Aceofspades

Banned
So...the dock does not provide any extra power? just a TV output with HDD and cartridges. All I get from this is NX will get Mobile game ports rather that full-fledged console quality games :/

JimiNutz

Banned
So if im understanding this correctly it has most power when it's connected to the power dock (console style).

Then significantly less power when away from the dock (handheld style).

But you can also stream to the handheld if you're at home and within range of the power dock? (Wii U style).

So if im at home and I don't want to game on my TV I can play this at full power if I stream to it?

A three-piece Remote Play box then? I liked the idea of a handheld + dock better. Requiring a data connection to play games on the go is going to be a pain in the ass as far as coverage and data caps go.

Schnozberry

If that's what they're going for, that screams $199 price point and a huge impulse buy opportunity.

The "chip option" is interesting--perhaps those who want better graphics can buy the AMD chip for more power?

If anything, it massively detracts from the credibility of the person who posted it. The last thing Nintendo needs at this point is a confusing abundance of choices.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
A bit confused by this. The dock doesn't provide extra power, but detached, the handheld is at a lower fidelity?

Handheld will have a 720p screen no matter what, but the dock most likely adds something for 1080p on the TV.

Alienous

Ok, I think I get it.

Basically the 'performance module' is the console. You get to plug that into the dock, to play on a TV. Or you plug it into a portable screen, to play it on the go.

L Thammy

Looking at the translation. The dock and the performance module are separate? It says the dock has no CPU/GPU but the performance module does.

Interesting. So it's three parts instead of just handheld and a dock? You can take a light handheld with you or attach a module for when you're willing to carry a more powerful, heavier handheld?

If this isn't bullshit.

That's what I thought, but then I was thinking... isn't this kind of like a regular portable charger for a phone or the like. If I'm on the bus I have no problem plugging my phone into my portable charger. I see it working like this... really cool actually.

This would also help with battery issues. My only concern (as someone else mentioned) is where the carts go...

lt519

Dock would be just for all connections to TV, etc. Massive pain in the ass to move a console around if you have your cabling neat and tidy. Just being able to undock the performance module and move to the bedroom would be fantastic. Wii U gamepad range was awful so this seems like a logical evolution. Clunky though.

kunonabi

I can translate the original post here (brackets are my comments.)

"NX is a console-handheld hybrid. It is detachable. It contains the console itself, performance module, and the handheld/gamepad.

The console (I think it is supposed to be a dock. I'll call it a dock from now on) contains HDD, cartridge slot and various other interfaces. It supports TV output (but no CPU/GPU).
The performance module is a portable device that provides power supply. It contains a Li-Ion battery. CPU/GPU also is contained inside. It supports Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and wired connections. You plug the dock inside and it becomes a PS4/Xbone like console, but you can also transfer the signals to the handheld (like Remote Play?)
There are two candidate SoC for it: Pascal SoC from nVidia or AMD R9 SoC.

The handheld part is a 6 inch 720p screen and has a low-TDP SoC, which can satisfy basic operations with lower quality graphics when the performance module is not connected. But it can also display game graphics from the performance module which can provide a console-level graphics. A bit like nVidia Shield streaming. You can bring the performance module with you portable (since it has its own battery).

Additional info: whatever the solution will be, the computing power it has falls far behind a PS4, let alone a PS4 Pro. Don't have high hopes for that. The selling point for it is high portability and hybrid providing rich gameplay possibilities.

If details don't get revealed in Oct then maybe wait for the beginning of next year. I welcome you guys to necrobump this post. Period."

So there are 3 different configurations then?

1. Portable unit can work by itself for basic applications and play games at a lower performance level.

2. Performance module can stream to the portable from the dock similar to WiiU and PS4 to Vita remote play

3. Performance module can be attached to the portable for high performance gaming on the go without streaming but is limited to the performance module's battery.

Am I getting that right?

maxcriden

From my understanding of the post, by "basic operations" it means the graphics would be not as advanced as a console. So you can just bring the handheld outside but you will only get basic graphics, but if you bring the performance module with you, you can get more advanced graphics.

This should be added to the op also. Thanks so much for your translations!

In 2001, we brought you the Gamecube

In 2017, we bring you..... the GameTesseract!

Welcome to the 4th dimension

Game^4

:O

i'm loving all the NX news. especially this rumor. base...power pack... handheld... oooooooh yeahhhhhh

The way I interpret that translation: without the performance module, your handheld could do Nintendo Mobile games like Mario Run and Miitomo and such. If you want to play stuff like Breath of the Wild, hook in the Performance Module. Same for at home play. It keeps the mobile handheld portion small and light if you want it to be, or if you want console experiences, bring a battery powered performance thing that will allow you to play NX games on the go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom