• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger turns 21! - A retrospective

Today Chrono Trigger turned 21 years old!

Zi0fpI6l.jpg

Let's have a look at the history of the development of one of the best video games ever made!

It all began like a dream, at the start of the 1990s...

NZHZlXgm.jpg

Before Chrono - Hiromichi Tanaka

The origin of Chrono Trigger can be traced back to sometime after the release of Final Fantasy III, in 1990. Square had plans to develop a huge action RPG for the Super Famicom Disk Drive, a peripheral being developed by Nintendo and Sony. The project was codenamed Maru Island, and included Akira Toriyama (creator of Dragon Ball) as the character designer.

Tanaka: "I frequently ran back to the office just to receive and look at the screen mock-ups that Toriyama-sensei did in the initial stages of the project."

Hiromichi Tanaka (the main designer of FFIII) had high hopes for this project. He wanted it to be an action RPG, with seamless battles, because this was a direction the Final Fantasy series was not willing to take. The game was going to involve time travel and a title was decided -- Chrono Trigger. However, the deal between Nintendo and Sony quickly fell through and the Super Famicom Disk Drive was scrapped, forcing Square to revise their plans. Maru Island/Chrono Trigger was rebooted as a new project using the setting of Seiken Densetsu, and became Secret of Mana.

Tanaka: "After we finished FFIII, we started FFIV with the idea of a slightly more action-based, dynamic overworld rather than keep combat as a completely separate thing. But, at some point, it wound up not being IV anymore… Instead, it was eventually released as “Seiken Densetsu 2” (Secret of Mana), but during development it was actually referred to as “Chrono Trigger”. (laugh)"

X0jLDUE.jpg

American Dream - Akira Toriyama, Yuji Horii and Hironobu Sakaguchi

That was not the end of Square and Toriyama's relationship. In 1992, Hironobu Sakaguchi (creator of Final Fantasy), Yuji Horii (creator of Dragon Quest), and Akira Toriyama (also co-creator of Dragon Quest) went on a trip to the United States in order to study the latest in CGI.

Sakaguchi: "During the trip we decided that we wanted to create something together, something that no one had done before. We were really naive..."

Their plan, however, went nowhere for a year and half due to unknown difficulties. Kazuhiko Aoki (director of the Hanjuku Hero series) decided to step in and offered to work on the game as producer. They gathered 50-60 Square employees to brainstorm ideas. The theme of time travel came up again, and thus the Chrono Trigger title was resurrected without Tanaka, who was busy with Secret of Mana. Sakaguchi, Horii and Toriyama were dubbed the Dream Team, while the development staff as a whole was dubbed Dream Project.

Kamata: "We wanted to start with something completely new, and we had a general meeting to solicit ideas of what kind of thing we wanted to do, and I guess someone suggested it there. They said, “I want to do something like a time patrol.” Then everybody thought that sounded interesting, so we threw ideas around, trying to think of scenarios that handled time."

Aoki: "My life was made considerably more difficult thanks to this project."

Masato Kato (a new Square recruit who previously worked on the Ninja Gaiden trilogy), was initially reluctant to the use of a time travel mechanics, because he was a huge fan of time travel literature and felt they might no be able to do this concept justice. Since the concept was greenlighted anyway, Kato became the game's story planner. The main Final Fantasy team, which was working on FFVII for the SNES at the time, eventually had to scrap their project to go assist the Chrono Trigger team. That team included Yoshinori Kitase (who directed FFVI).

Kato: "After that, for the first year I spent hours every week in meetings at Mr Horī’s studio. I had to summarise any suggestions I’d been given or ideas I’d had about quest scenarios. I’d then take the parts that we’d worked on in the meetings back to my own company and think about how to continue those stories."

Sakaguchi: "Horii and I both work in the same field, so there were no real fights between us, but he has his own ideas about how a game should be made, and we clashed on a number of points. Those confrontations gave us the opportunity to think very deeply about the game, though, so I think it was probably a good thing."

j6vgOyB.jpg

If history is to change, let it change - Masato Kato's initial designs for the main cast

Kato created the early designs of the characters, before they were handed to Toriyama for re-drawing. The team took care in making a diverse cast that doesn't only include humans.

Horii: "When we were creating the characters, we were thinking about what sort of friends Crono would have in each era. The game’s protagonist is a young boy, so how many females should we have? When Square was working on in the in-battle actions, they thought it would be boring to have only human characters. When trying to think up characters that weren’t human or robot, they started considering the frog. (laughter) There were pigs, too. And monkeys. But they aren’t so different from humans."

There were a lot of debates among over the characterization and arcs of the main cast. Crono for example:

Kitase: "We argued a lot with Yuji Horii over whether Chrono should speak or not. Horii said that the protagonist of an RPG must never speak. And at Square, opinions were divided on the issue."

Kato: "There was also a time during a meeting when the idea of the main character dying came up, and the whole room suddenly burst into laughter. I seemed to be the only one who thought “That was a serious suggestion, what’s so funny?” and sat looking blank. (laughs) Although at that point Mr Horī did say “Hey, that might be pretty interesting.” Incidentally, the idea that I had at that time was for Crono to really die, and the others would have to go back in time and enlist a version of Crono from the night before the Fair. Then after the final battle they would have to return him to that point in time and bid him farewell. But that idea was rejected (laughs). They said it had to be a happy ending, so we eventually settled on the story with the clone as it is today. "

And then there's Marle:

Kitase: "When Sakaguchi officially joined the Chrono Trigger development team, the first thing he got his hands into was the scenarios. There was a scenario involving Marle, where a time paradox occurs and the Marle you end up spending the rest of the game with is actually from a different timeline." / Sakaguchi: "With time travel as our theme, you could have the same character be a totally different person if they belonged to a different timeline. That was the planners’ original idea, but I said it was no good. I said that even if the player changes history, when you return to your original time, it should be the same Marle there that you knew from before."

Most infamously, the 8th playable character was scrapped and remains in the game as a non-playable character -- Gaspar, the Guru of Time.

l8CaN6E.jpg

Full speed ahead - Yasuhiko Kamata, Kazuhiko Aoki, Keizo Kokubo, Yasunori Mitsuda, Yoshinori Kitase, Katsuhisa Higuchi, Masato Kato, ???, Takashi Tokita

As development on the game progressed, Sakaguchi realized that the 24 megs of data would not be enough. In Autumn 1994, he decided to switch to a 32-meg cartridge, making Chrono Trigger the largest Square game at the time. The extra 8 megs were mostly filled with additional music and graphics, as well as some events and dialogue.

Higuchi: "Almost all the things we added with that 8M can be seen in the opening demo."​

Magus' Castle is one of the areas that benefited the most from the expanded cartridge space. But the most notable change is probably the world map, which was completely revamped.

On March 11, 1995, Chrono Trigger was finally released in Japan.

GIfuVuT.jpg

Misc quotes

XVINwKWs.jpg

Hironobu Sakaguchi: "I was a really strict boss during the development of Chrono Trigger. Every morning I’d gather everyone together and make them give me status reports. I had never done anything like that during Final Fantasy."

aAWB8oAs.jpg

Yuji Horii: "We had a lot more freedom than we would with Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. We weren’t worried about the feel of the world; it would be whatever we ended up making."

YqHLQxrs.jpg

Masato Kato: "No matter what it is, something that has taken serious effort to make is crammed full of the various thoughts of all the staff members involved in its production. I think it’s a wonderful thing that the crystallisation of those thoughts can reach other people."

C0IS4GAs.jpg

Yasunori Mitsuda: Boy, it was tough. It was in development for two years, but I worked on Romancing Saga 2 in the middle of it, so I did it in the one year that was left. In the beginning, the music was ahead of everything. But towards the end, everyone had passed me by, and finally, the music was finished last (laugh).

Sources/Much much more information
http://www.glitterberri.com/chrono-trigger/
http://shmuplations.com/chronotrigger/
https://www.chronocompendium.com/

dhNGZDz.gif

I honestly think it's the best game ever made and I find it hilarious how archaic 85% of JRPGs(including the ones made by square themselves) look when compared to Chrono Trigger. Out of all the retro games I have played(well outside of stuff like Tetris and some 2d fighting games), CT is the only one that truly stands the test of time. I can just enjoy the game for what it is and not have to remind myself that I'm playing a archaic game and a lot of the stuff I take for granted now wasn't implemented in video games yet. The most polished game I have ever played. If it's possible for a non Tetris game to be "perfect", this game is it.

rafa

Neo Member
Chrono Trigger was one of the first games I ever purchased with my own money. I remember I had put many hours into the game and had a New Game+ save going when a little cousin of mine had wanted to try it out. That lil bastard ended up deleting all of the save files and my young mind had a meltdown. Ever since then, I've made it a ritual to complete the game at least once a year.

Getting this game for Christmas as a 10 year old and then playing the game all day with my best friend, is to this day, is one of our best gaming memories by far. CT will always be GOAT to me.

Omadahl

Banned
Amazing job putting this together. Chrono Trigger really is the cornerstone of my gaming experience. I spent a while day home "sick" from school and beat the new game+ twice in 24 hours. This game really demonstrated, for me, the difference between playing a game and experiencing a game.

guyssorry

I played this game waaay after it was released (probably in 2002-2003), after I had played games like OOT, Deus Ex, FF7, Planescape, MGS, all those other BIG games etc.

but this game...this game had the most profound impact on me. The combination of all of it---the sound effects, the characters, the incredible music, the perfect pacing, the wonderful locations, the music---it was all at a level way above any of those aforementioned games. I will never forget entering the future, or the trial, or fighting that Son of Sun boss, etc. I have the utmost respect for this game and everyone mentioned in your retrospective (well done, btw...I really liked reading it). They made a perfect game.

I could go on and on, but to this day, only a handful of games comes close to Chrono Trigger, and it is easily in my top 3 best games ever, as well as my favorite game of all time.

Happy anniversary.

Isotope

My first time playing Chrono Trigeer was actually the DS version; I never really gave RPGs any time of day during the SNES and PS1 days, sans the "Big Name" RPGs (Pokemon and Super Mario RPG were really the only RPGs I played during those generations that I can recall), so I was pretty much going in blind. It's my favorite RPG ever made, and one of my favorite games ever made too. When thinking of a flaw for CT, it's really hard honestly; they just nailed everything so goddamn well.

antitrop

Chrono Trigger and EarthBound were the two games that had the most profound impact on my early teenage years.

I'll certainly never forget the first time I faced Magus. I thought it was the end of the game! I thought he was the final boss. The candles lighting up as you run towards him, the black wind howling, his ultimate mastery of magic and barrier changes, it melted my brain with its awesomeness.

No_Style

My favourite JRPG and easily the most played.

I never finished Cross though. That Akira Toriyama touch was what drew me in and its absence in Cross was disheartening.

It all began aeons ago, when man's ancestors picked up a shard of strange red rock. Its power, which was beyond human comprehension, cultivated dreams... in turn, love and hate were born... Only time will see how it all ends...

This game was a cornerstone of my childhood. My namesake started as half a tribute to the Monty Python sketch and half to my favorite character in the game on the forums for a rom hack called Chrono Crisis. I mean, the dude cuts a fuggin MOUNTAIN in half, how do you get more awesome than that.

DctYl4U.gif

Chrono Trigger and EarthBound were the two games that had the most profound impact on my early teenage years.

I'll certainly never forget the first time I faced Magus. I thought it was the end of the game! I thought he was the final boss. The candles lighting up as you run towards him, the black wind howling, his ultimate mastery of magic and barrier changes, it melted my brain with its awesomeness.

If you lose to Magus there, he actually turns around to face the demonic statue and finishes his summoning spell, and you hear Lavos scream as the screen fades to black! It's really short so it doesn't really count as one of the alternate endings, but it's a nice detail for such a special battle.

Joei

I like how FF4 became Secret of Mana, but was referred to as CT. Two of my favorite games of all time. That was truly the golden age of Square.

Yukinari

How many times does Lavos scream in this game? At least 10 times right? If anything that sound alone makes this game iconic.

How many times does Lavos scream in this game? At least 10 times right? If anything that sound alone makes this game iconic.

I would love if someone with more sound editing talent than I would do a modernized/resampled version of this scream at a higher bitrate. Even the OG sound though can still give me chills in the right mood.

Man, what a fucking console the SNES was and what a gem this game was even though SMRPG is still my favorite SNES game and JRPG, but Earthbound and this rank pretty high too.

Chrono Trigger is officially old enough to drink, man that fucking blows my mind. I still remember shoving my SNES carts in my SNES like it was yesterday, it's amazing how far we've come and how much has changed(and stayed the same).

chrixter

My favorite CT dev story is Mitsuda, a 22-year-old sound engineer at the time, demanding that Sakaguchi allow him to compose music or else he'd quit Square.

Ended up getting assigned to CT and created one of the greatest OSTs of all time as his first soundtrack.

My favorite CT dev story is Mitsuda, a 22-year-old sound engineer at the time, demanding that Sakaguchi allow him to compose music or else he'd quit Square.

Ended up getting assigned to CT and created one of the greatest OSTs of all time as his first soundtrack.

I love his story too. He was so invested in his work that he literally composed To Far Away Times in a dream, after falling asleep.

Didn't he lose half of his work in a hard drive failure too? Really impressive he pulled it out.

jonboi24

Neo Member
My favourite snes rpg! Damn do I feel old haha. In honor of its 21st birthday it's time to get drunk and party.

Didn't he lose half of his work in a hard drive failure too? Really impressive he pulled it out.

Yeah he lost about 40 in-progress tracks. No wonder he was hospitalized in the end...

One funny tidbit is that, since Square didn't let him do a soundtrack before this project, he had actually composed a number of songs before CT in whatever spare time he had. So if one of these songs fitted CT he would then use it instead of composing a new track from scratch. The tracks that Uematsu did were also apparently based on notes that Mitsuda left.

Flakster99

Fantastic write up, thank you.

Back when SquareSoft did little to no wrong. What a timeless classic. I miss that era of gaming more than anything.

One of my favorite games of all time! Damn, I remember getting this for Christmas, and my sister getting Yoshi's Island. Two damn fine games and one helluva memorable Christmas morning!

FrsDvl

My girlfriends favorite game, she's beaten it way too many times. And now I've been playing through it for my first time ever. And it's pretty good!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Those pictures radiate 90s.

I still have my mint in box SNES cart <3

I don't have much new to say because Chrono Trigger has basically not left my mind for two decades.

Phreak47

This time, I should choose to fight Magus the second time.

It's amazing to think that the first time I played (right at release), that first Magus fight drove me to drink... and if that would have resulted in an unwanted child, I could legally buy him a drink in just a few months. It would be the least I could do. Except, all that happened was everything but the kid part. Whew.

Top Bottom