• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger turns 21! - A retrospective

GOOCHY

This thread inspired me to fire it up on the 'ol RetroPie box. I was around back then but RPGs weren't really my thing at the time. I'm 4 hours in at this point and it's pretty awesome. I wish I'd tried it earlier!

Dez_

First jrpg I ever played. One of my personal favorite games of all time too. It was such a creative change of pace with games when back then I was only interested in platforming and beat-em ups. I still remember how baffled I was at the game when my friend showed me. Semi-turned based rpgs were such an incredibly bizarre concept to me at the time.

Although it wasn't my favorite RPG for long (got supplanted first by Lunar: Eternal Blue and then later by Atlus' PS2 SMT+spin-off lineup), it was quite the revelation when it came out. Fantastic graphics for the time, great pacing, fun premise, and amazing music.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
My favorite game of all time! Done a bunch of fanart for it over the years too :)

epoch_in_time_xavier_garcia.jpg

frog.jpg

chrono_trigger_cast.jpg

I think what sets it apart is that you get a true feeling of collaboration from everyone involved. If it had been the brainchild of one creator, it wouldn't have been as well rounded a game as it ended up being. A true masterpiece that holds up incredibly well today.

Dreavus

Jesus Christ I need to play this game again. The soundtrack is absolutely astounding.

I wouldn't mind going through and actually getting some alternate endings. I honestly only remember getting two
(the standard kill-lavos-at-the-end-of-the-game ending, plus the one you get for crashing the Epoch into him)

Is tracking down the DS version possible these days?

I was actually one of the directors of Crimson Echoes, along with ZeaLitY and Agent 12. We never finished it due to Square Enix's lawyers, but there is a so-called "98% complete" version floating around (I'd say it's more like 80%, really). There are some bugs in it and we never got to adjust enemy stats, so it's a very hard version, but it's playable.

A different team took Crimson Echoes and made their own hack of the fan hack, by renaming it "Flames of Eternity" and altering events, trying to fix things, changing things they didn't like, etc. Most of their decisions are puzzling and kind of Frankensteined in, so I can't recommend it.

We did release a full playthrough though, which is around 40-hour-long, I believe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSTpkMB9kNk. Needless to say we're really proud of what we accomplished -- even though SE had to SE.

that is really cool. i played through this last year and enjoyed it!

I hadn't played this game since the late 90's and I'm currently playing through the DS version for the first time on my 3DS, just reaching 12000BC with the floating islands; the visual design, story, battles, music, pacing, just about everything, eludes an infectious charm to it that makes the game not age.

This game is fantastic and it existence seems to be that the stars aligned to get all those talents to come together and make this classic masterpiece.

On that note, 21 years.... damn I feel old!

Fou-Lu

Definitely in my top ten. It's been a couple years since I've played it, I should give it another play soon, especially since I have beaten Chrono Cross now.

My favorite game of all time! Done a bunch of fanart for it over the years too :)

epoch_in_time_xavier_garcia.jpg

frog.jpg

chrono_trigger_cast.jpg

I think what sets it apart is that you get a true feeling of collaboration from everyone involved. If it had been the brainchild of one creator, it wouldn't have been as well rounded a game as it ended up being. A true masterpiece that holds up incredibly well today.

That's some boss work man!

An as always Frog Glenn is superior Glenn.

daxgame

Still the best game ever.
And no, it has nothing to do with nostalgia. I've played tons of other games, and I'm yet to think "oh god, this is the best game I've ever played"

BumRush

Playing through it again now. It's not as good as FFVI (in my opinion) but it did every single thing right. One of the best games ever made.

antitrop

This thread inspired me to fire it up on the 'ol RetroPie box. I was around back then but RPGs weren't really my thing at the time. I'm 4 hours in at this point and it's pretty awesome. I wish I'd tried it earlier!
The best thing about Chrono Trigger is that 4 hours in you've already seem a bunch of awesome and memorable stuff. Dat pacing.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Holy shit dude, that's some AMAZING art! Do you have a bigger version of the first one?

I doooo but unfortunately its not for public consumption (its bigger if you open it in a new tab tho)

Not sure why this isn't in the OP, this is the public unveiling in '94, this must be before the 32mb upgrade check out how different it looks:

http://youtu.be/oyo_AXQLIdI
Select "English translation by..." for the best subtitle translation.

I quoted it in text form, but I gave up linking individual sources because most of them are chock-full of scans ^^' That video does appear on GlitterBerri's website and the Chrono Compendium though. All the sources are on the Chrono Compendium, including over 50% that I can't read because they have never been translated into English.

And yeah this was before the memory upgrade.

WYONhbl.png

Im in a weird boat in that i played this game on the DS for the first time. Even still i think its one of my favorite games of all time. And thats not nostalgia talking since i was a adult. This game really does hold up as being one of the greatest achievements in gaming. Im not the biggest rpg guy, but the fact that you can see people before you fight them, and not just some random battle is what drew me in. It never felt disconnected in any way. Even the time travel felt fluid and right. Ive only beaten it once though. Maybe one day when the time is right.

Ive even made the cast of chrono trigger out of perler beads. Just thought id share.

kc44135

This seems like as good a thread as any to ask this question. I've actually never played Chrono Trigger. I've always wanted to, but just never got around to it for one reason or another. I want to play it now, but there's a bunch of different versions, and I actually have access to all of them. So, which version is the best way to experience the game now?

qcf x2

I honestly think it's the best game ever made and I find it hilarious how archaic 85% of JRPGs(including the ones made by square themselves) look when compared to Chrono Trigger. Out of all the retro games I have played(well outside of stuff like Tetris and some 2d fighting games), CT is the only one that truly stands the test of time. I can just enjoy the game for what it is and not have to remind myself that I'm playing a archaic game and a lot of the stuff I take for granted now wasn't implemented in video games yet. The most polished game I have ever played. If it's possible for a non Tetris game to be "perfect", this game is it.

First post nailed it. There are probably many games that beat Chrono Trigger in individual categories like game size, visuals, controls, etc. But this game does nothing wrong. Beyond that, it pulls the user in like nothing else. I think the big reason is the theme. It feels like an agreeable hybrid of Tolkein and future scifi, with a distinctly western fantasy flair but designed by Japanese artists. When you put so many contrasting elements together, they typically clash and you're left with a mess. This was proof of concept that synergy is possible, that even though there are different sides, the coin is the same: a fantasy game.

I don't know if I want a Chrono 3 unless some of the OGs are on it, but I do know that I hope SE considers doing a Chrono remake after FF7R sets sales records.

I bought it as soon as it came out in Europe. Actually I didn't know about Chrono Trigger, at all. So I just got a game for my DS because the guy looked like Goku.

One of the best games I ever played on my DS.

jnWake

Jesus Christ I need to play this game again. The soundtrack is absolutely astounding.

I wouldn't mind going through and actually getting some alternate endings. I honestly only remember getting two
(the standard kill-lavos-at-the-end-of-the-game ending, plus the one you get for crashing the Epoch into him)

Is tracking down the DS version possible these days?

I bought it last year online for cheap. I think they overshipped it or something.

Varna

I'm glad the franchise is dead to be honest. Modern SE simply cannot make a game of that caliber anymore. Remake or otherwise, they would absolutely destroy what was magical about it.

This seems like as good a thread as any to ask this question. I've actually never played Chrono Trigger. I've always wanted to, but just never got around to it for one reason or another. I want to play it now, but there's a bunch of different versions, and I actually have access to all of them. So, which version is the best way to experience the game now?

I would say the DS version. It's a good route too go if you end up playing Chrono Cross as well since they added a few things here and there to bridge the gap (though you will probably still finding yourself asking how these games are related since they are very different).

Ds or snes

Ds has some extra content but its nothing ground breaking

One of the, if not the singlest best game of all time. I used to want a sequel after I had finished it for the first time, but now I'm glad that never happened as I doubt it could live up to its predecessor.

Welcome to 17 years ago, bro.

I'm glad the franchise is dead to be honest. Modern SE simply cannot make a game of that caliber anymore. Remake or otherwise, they would absolutely destroy what was magical about it.

They're trying their best to, though, with Project Setsuna. That game was made with a limited budget, but they said right from the start that they want to make Setsuna a trilogy. Hopefully the second and third games get more ambitious in scope.

kc44135

Ds or snes

Ds has some extra content but its nothing ground breaking

Thanks, @Hinzel. Yeah, if the DS extras aren't that great,I might just stick with the original version. It's actually a bit cheaper, since I'd be getting the Wii VC version.

Tanwo

One of my favorite games, and probably one of the greatest ever made.

These stories about the development of Chrono Trigger are really interesting. Still many facts I didn’t know after all those years…

Condom

Thanks for reminding me that we won't get a new Chrono game ever.

The music of Trigger and Cross is still god tier, in 2016.

Thanks, @Hinzel. Yeah, if the DS extras aren't that great,I might just stick with the original version. It's actually a bit cheaper, since I'd be getting the Wii VC version.

The wii VC version is definitely the way to go, unless you just really love handhelds. Like he said, there really isn't any special added material in the ds version. The ds version is still pretty good though. Just no one play the playstation version.

I got this game in November of 1995 for my 10th birthday. My brother picked it up knowing how much I liked Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior. It has been my favorite game ever since.

I run through it at least once a year, sometimes more. The music, story, and characters will forever hold a special place in my heart. I'm considering a CT themed tattoo this fall. I honestly feel like it's the perfect JRPG.

Top Bottom