• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) Hardware Sales for 2022 - NSW 5830k | PS5 5660k | XBS 4480k

Up this thread since numbers are finally out:

2022 Results (Rounded To Nearest 10K)

[NSW] 5830k
[PS5] 5660k
[XBS] 4480k
The HW sales numbers come from IB via Astral_lion02 who has access to the latest CESA Games White Paper which sources their data from Circana/NPD among others.

https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...-10-predictions-closed.515/page-2#post-187857

Note that Circana (NPD) in the title of the thread means these HW sales are for the US domestic gaming market only.

NSW
2020: 8,980,000
2021: 7,610,000
2022: 5,830,000

PS5
2020: 1,960,000
2021: 4,280,000
2022: 5,660,000

XBS
2020: 1,490,000
2021: 3,730,000
2022: 4,480,000

PS4
2020: 2,070,000
2021: 600,000
2022: 50,000

XBO
2020: 1,460,000
2021: 10,000

3DS
2020: 200,000

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
what in the 7 years old console #1 the power of the GOTY thanks to whos thread??

giphy.gif

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Wtf...I thought ps5 was outselling xbox like 5 to 1 or something. Or minimal 3 to 1. Am I looking at rhis wrong?
You might be thinking worldwide. This is US only.
And in 2022. But it surprised me too. in the thread that is the source there is this message that may explain why:

And yes, it was all about this:
This was all about production numbers and supply issues, Sony managed to improve stock in the second half of the year better than expected.

Xbox had a monster Q1 2022 and great H1. After that sales started to become super bad.
Generally over 60% of all yearly sales are in Q4 for Xbox. In 2022 that was just over 40%
Series X|S could've sold up to 6.5m units if the H1 trend continued and not completely reversed starting in September 2022

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So 56:44 for PS5 vs. XBS in US in 2022.

This is VERY telling and important data for a few reasons:
  • This is from 2022, not 2023. H1 2022 was when PS5 was facing severe shortages. And Xbox had some of their best quarters, including 2 quarters that they straight-up won against the PS5, according to Satya Nadella.
  • Despite that, the split is 56:44 in favor of PS5.
  • To put that into context, in the Xbox One vs. PS4 generation, PS4 outsold Xbox One with a ratio of 54:46.
  • So even in the best year that Xbox Series had in the US, they lost 2 percentage points in their strongest market.
  • 2023 saw a massive YoY increase in PS5 sales and a consistent YoY decline in Xbox Series sales.
I reckon that even in the US, we'd be likely now at a 60:40 ratio in favor of PS5, or will be by EOY.

P.S. LTD (Dec. 2022) split is 55:45 in favor of PS5. So 56:44 in 2022 already saw a 1% improvement for PS5.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You might be thinking worldwide. This is US only.

Numbers are for 2022 US market. Xbox had a very strong H1 outselling the PS5, but in the later half of the year Sony managed to fix the PS5 stock and outsold XBS around 2:1 during the holiday season.

Yeah so only 1.2 mill behind for US. that's nothing really. I thought It was gonna be like 2.5 mill vs 5.5 mill or something.

Kinda paints the vibe differently to what we see on the Internet.

Yeah so only 1.2 mill behind for US. that's nothing really. I thought It was gonna be like 2.5 mill vs 5.5 mill or something.

Yeah, but Xbox has always been strong in their home market. See Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 post that's above yours, he did a very good analysis for the 2022 - 2023 US console market.

jm89

What are the confirmed qtys for 2023?.....and this thread is about 2022 ya weirdo lol
Ofcourse it's about 2022.

But you very well know the vibe that you brought up has been hugley in favour of ps5 due to sony finally sorting out stock shortages this year.

What we know about 2023 is xbox has been in last every month and ps5 has been in first most months. xbox has also seen yoy drops whilst ps5 has seen yoy increases.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ofcourse it's about 2022.

But you very well know the vibe that you brought up has been hugley in favour of ps5 due to sony finally sorting out stock shortages this year.

What we know about 2023 is xbox has been in last every month and ps5 has been in first most months. xbox has also seen yoy drops whilst ps5 has seen yoy increases.

Yeah 2023, playstation has been absolutely dominating. Maybe this year the numbers will be 3 mill vs 6. Or 4.5 mill vs 8 or something.

Will be interesting to see but we do not have that data.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah 2023, playstation has been absolutely dominating. Maybe this year the numbers will be 3 mill vs 6. Or 4.5 mill vs 8 or something.

Will be interesting to see but we do not have that data.
Even by 2023 or 2024, PS5 vs. XBS will not have a 2:1 ratio in the US. 2:1 is WW, not for the US. Xbox performs very well in the US, compared to the ROTW.

But we may get a 60:40 split this time. For additional context, even the current 56:44 split is the biggest gap in the US between PS and Xbox in the last ~16 years.

In the USA they are almost 2:1 (counting June if it should go 2:1) and in the UK the 2:1 is exceeded in favor of PS5, in 2022 things were more even because there were really bad months of stock for PS5 but 2023 is being a massacre for xbox.

UK 2023 (ene - jul)
PS5 399K
X|S 182K

US January 2023 to May 2023 Estimates:
PS5: 2.2m
Xbox Series: 1.15m

US:
June 2023:

PS5 14,6 m aprox
X/S 11,0 m aprox

June 2016:
PS4 13,99 m
XBO 12,23 m

Last edited:
Historically Sony REALLY screwed the pooch with the PS3 in the United States and really allowed for Microsoft to build a strong brand.

Similarly, Microsoft screwed up with the X1, which has largely extended to the XS. The biggest thing that kept the XS in contention with the PS5 in North America has been the pandemic and the resultant hardware shortage. Now that that is over the PS5 has been pulling away pretty hard from the XS.

The rest of 2023 and 2024 will be vitally important for Microsoft and the future of the Xbox brand.

I don't believe the brand can survive if the PS5 outsells it 2:1 in North America. I think by the end of next year we may be on that trajectory, though we certainly aren't now.

The question is can Sony sell 40+ million PS5s and can Microsoft sell more than 25 million XS? The PS4 sold 38 million and the X1 sold 33 million. It looks like Microsoft is set to lose significant market share in both North America and Europe.

Does anyone know if these are actually US numbers or North America numbers?

Topher

Gold Member

Even Xbox One was much closer in sales to the PS4 in the US than in the rest of the world. Xbox 360 actually outsold PS3 in the US. Xbox performing better in the US isn't new.

Last edited:
I mean in the first 9 months of 2022 PS5 was basically unavailable on the market....

And Microsoft is counting Series S that NEVER had supply issues....

These numbers are terrible for MS, 2023 results will be a massacre

All of this with two consoles vs one
I do wonder what effect the new model PS5 will have. If it comes in significantly cheaper than the regular price of the PS5 and that gets slapped on all the ads then it’s gonna be a rough period for Xbox sales.

What percentage of total sales was US market for XB360 and XB1 compared to the PS3/PS4?

Last edited:

yazenov

2022 is the last year MS will ever come close to Sony in terms of unit sales.

The extreme shortages of the PS5 were a god sent for MS and it was the only roadblock keeping Sony from dominating the market.

2023 will tell the true story of the reality of the situation. Both consoles won't have any excuses for shortages. We already have seen the huge differences in sales in both Europe and Japan for the first half of the year, where Xbox has only a fraction of the market share. Worldwide sales tell the whole picture.

The fact that the PS5 outsells the Xbox Series 56:44 in the US in 2022, in MS's strongest market, despite the shortages is hilariously bad for MS. I don't know how some people here are trying to spin this as a positive result for MS.

Last edited:
I do wonder what effect the new model PS5 will have. If it comes in significantly cheaper than the regular price of the PS5 and that gets slapped on all the ads then it’s gonna be a rough period for Xbox sales.

I don't think it will be cheaper than the Series X however without the drive it can be really close to the new Series S. A 50$ difference between the two can be a problem for the black Series S.

What percentage of total sales was US market for XB360 and XB1 compared to the PS3/PS4?

Xbox One sold 57% of its total units in North America
PS4 sold 33% of its total units in North America

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

So far, it seems like Jim Ryan's mentality is to keep momentum by injecting small doses every now and then -- instead of going all out.

We also saw it in PlayStation's marketing ever since Jim became the Head of SIE: blog posts, tweets, State of Plays, Showcases, etc. Instead of one big showcase a year during E3.

He is following the same concepts in hardware this generation. And, not gonna lie, this will work, especially in the case of hardware.
  • Nov 2020 = PS5 launch (shortages for the following 25 months)
  • Feb 2023 = PS VR 2 (PS5 is needed to play PS VR 2)
  • Sep 2023* = PS5 "Slim" (detachable disc at $399 most likely)
  • Nov 2024 = PS5 Pro ($499 most likely)
Every time it seems like the momentum may slow down, Sony injects something new and freshen things up. PS5 Pro will take care of sales in 2025, 2026, and beyond. And by that time, this generation would already be decided comprehensively - if not completely over.

Robbinhood

Banned
Too bad we will never know what these numbers would look like if covid didn’t happen. The hype going into pa5 launch was crazy.

Covid:

Helped switch (look at 2020 numbers)
Hurt ps5 stock
Helped xbox (artificially keep the gap close)
There was likely a good chunk of people who bought xbox because they couldn’t find ps5s

Realistically anything 50:50 and higher is a great split for ps since this is xbox only market. MS need to make up millions of sales with the US so a split is even bad for them. We will see in 2023 but a 2:1 would be devastating.

Unknown?

Even by 2023 or 2024, PS5 vs. XBS will not have a 2:1 ratio in the US. 2:1 is WW, not for the US. Xbox performs very well in the US, compared to the ROTW.

But we may get a 60:40 split this time. For additional context, even the current 56:44 split is the biggest gap in the US between PS and Xbox in the last ~16 years.
Not LTD but for the year 2023 I could see it 2:1 in the states.

Launch aligned Xbox series is actually slightly behind Xbox one which is quite funny :)
Also, I understand the obsession with the USA as it's the biggest economy but I thought there were 8 billion people living in the world...

Agreed....

It's even funnier if you consider Xbox One was just... "One" :D

This time MS launched 2 different consoles at the same time and the sales here are combined

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Wtf...I thought ps5 was outselling xbox like 5 to 1 or something. Or minimal 3 to 1. Am I looking at rhis wrong?
its 2022. Sony yet to solve supply issues completely in 2022.

i believe 2022 is the only best year for Xbox.

Last edited:

Woopah

I mean in the first 9 months of 2022 PS5 was basically unavailable on the market....

And Microsoft is counting Series S that NEVER had supply issues....

These numbers are terrible for MS, 2023 results will be a massacre

All of this with two consoles vs one
I never understood this "2 v 1" idea. The S and X are different SKUs of the same console, just like PS4 and PS4 Pro or 3DS and new 3DS.
Nintendo stopped competing with Sony in 2006 when they launched the Wii (aka GameCube 2.0)

Nobody has only the Switch as their console. Most games don't even get ported to it.

It's a "companion console" for Nintendo exclusives
Nintendo competed with MS and Sony with the Wii, and continue competing with them today. They are three main competitions in the dedicated video game devices market.

I never understood this "2 v 1" idea. The S and X are different SKUs of the same console, just like PS4 and PS4 Pro or 3DS and new 3DS.

No they are not a different SKU of the same console

They have completely different specs at completely different price points.

RELEASED at THE SAME TIME....

PS5 Digital/disc are different SKUs (the hardware specs are exactly the same)

Xbox Series S and X are not

Sony didn't release PS4 Pro at the same time of the original PS4. It happened 3 years later

Woopah

No they are not a different SKU of the same console

They have completely different specs at completely different price points.

RELEASED at THE SAME TIME....

PS5 Digital/disc are different SKUs (the hardware specs are exactly the same)

Xbox Series S and X are not

Sony didn't release PS4 Pro at the same time of the original PS4. It happened 3 years later
So if Sony had offered the PS4 Pro at launch, you would have considered it a completely different console?

Top Bottom