• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clinton campaign backs intelligence briefing for electors before Dec 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnannola

For everyone saying there will be a civil war if the EC chooses clinton, it will completely depend on the evidence they hear, and if that evidence is made public.

Picture this scenario. There are emails found from the Trump Campaign that show a deal was made with the Russians to hack the DNC. In exchange for the hack, Trump would nominate people to cabinet positions that would favor Russian interests.

In this scenario, I would like to think that even a majority of Trump supports would be OK with Trump not being elected president.

If it was just Russia trying to get Trump elected without any agreement with the Trump Campaign, I don't see the EC overturning the results. There has to be something that makes Trump look like a traitor / Manchurian candidate for the country to accept overturning the election results.

Clinton will go down as the sorest loser of all time. It's funny after she called trump out for this same thing.

The calls for an investigation into foreign influence in this election is now bipartisan. Additionally, it's not the same thing. Trump was trying to cast doubt over results of the election and floating a refusal to concede prior to election day.

Why isn't the Trump campaign saying they will fully cooperate with any investigation and are confident they will be cleared of any wrong doing?

This is what I'd expect anyone to say in Trump's situation.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
For everyone saying there will be a civil war if the EC chooses clinton, it will completely depend on the evidence they hear, and if that evidence is made public.

Picture this scenario. There are emails found from the Trump Campaign that show a deal was made with the Russians to hack the DNC. In exchange for the hack, Trump would nominate people to cabinet positions that would favor Russian interests.

In this scenario, I would like to think that even a majority of Trump supports would be OK with Trump not being elected president.

If it was just Russia trying to get Trump elected without any agreement with the Trump Campaign, I don't see the EC overturning the results. There has to be something that makes Trump look like a traitor / Manchurian candidate for the country to accept overturning the election results.
That's a hell of a scenario, but there's barely any time left to find said evidence, and there's no way the CIA would be sitting on it if they already had it

Xe4

Banned
Clinton will go down as the sorest loser of all time. It's funny after she called trump out for this same thing.

Your hate mongering towards Clinton could not be more obvious. She conceded, the day AFTER the election. Trump said multiple times he would only accept the results for sure if he won. Calling for the electors to be educated on foreign influence (which is something both sides support), is not being a sore looser.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I doubt the EC will be able to keep Trump away from the White House, but if enough people manage to send it to Congress then MAYBE we can finally talk about amending the Constitution and abolishing the goddamn thing.

Davide

It goes to congress, and they hold congress, so it would be a Republican. Surely to god they wouldn't let Trump in, a lot of them don't really like him.

They have to vote for a candidate who won at least one state.

They would vote Trump.

EDIT: Sounds like they have to vote for the top 3 from the electoral college. So they could vote for a different Republican like Romney.

Wouldn't say that would happen but this is big that even Mitch McConnell is talking sense.

Any evidence of communication would be ash in the fireplace at this point. And that's if there was any communication.

The CIA would destroy the evidence? I don't think so. US Intelligence agencies busted their ass for years for the geopolitical advantages they have. They would not let it be pissed away so easily.

If the ONLY choice we had was Trump or Romney, I'd take Romney.

I don't agree with him on many issues either, but I sure as fuck ain't worried about him selling the whole fucking country away like fucking stock shares.

If the EC can only elect a Republican, make it Romney.

Sore loser? She's got 2.6 million more votes than him nationwide.

I'll happily take the sore loser.

BTW - she only needs a swap of 75 electors to beat Trump, so it's certainly a possibility.

qn394xjpg.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What are you talking about
Assuming the aim is to have the electoral college change their votes - if somewhat successful, but not successful enough to keep trump out - this validates circumventing the democratic process. Over 4 years, it would be easily possible for a president, especially one with control of the entire legislature, to stack the electoral colleges with his own cronies. Then it doesn't matter who the people vote for in the election, you have the presidency guaranteed, you just need to 'trump' up some conspiracy against the opposition.

I don't agree with him on many issues either, but I sure as fuck ain't worried about him selling the whole fucking county away like fucking stock shares.

It'll be hilarious if it is Mitt Romney. The comeback kid.

Davide

I don't agree with him on many issues either, but I sure as fuck ain't worried about him selling the whole fucking county away like fucking stock shares.

Romney's also one of the few Republicans to believe in climate change. He's sane.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I have no faith whatsoever that it will happen, but should all the electors not give Trump the satisfaction, what kind of national shitstorm will happen I wonder?

Davide

I have no faith whatsoever that it will happen, but should all the electors not give Trump the satisfaction, what kind of national shitstorm will happen I wonder?

I wonder if it could result in the formation of an alt-right (read: Nazi) party?

Neoweee

There would probably be violence, unless there is a giant upsurge of anti-Trump sentiment over the next 7 days. There would literally have to be a video of Trump talking to a Russian saying that he would be pro-Russian in exchange for help, and about 60% of Trump supporters would still deny it happened.

Davide

There would probably be violence, unless there is a giant upsurge of anti-Trump sentiment over the next 7 days. There would literally have to be a video of Trump talking to a Russian saying that he would be pro-Russian in exchange for help, and about 60% of Trump supporters would still deny it happened.

And 20%+ wouldn't care.

dramatis

I feel like if the electoral college chooses someone other than Trump, that person is destined to be a one-term president.

These are trying times.

Assuming the aim is to have the electoral college change their votes - if somewhat successful, but not successful enough to keep trump out - this validates circumventing the democratic process. Over 4 years, it would be easily possible for a president, especially one with control of the entire legislature, to stack the electoral colleges with his own cronies. Then it doesn't matter who the people vote for in the election, you have the presidency guaranteed, you just need to 'trump' up some conspiracy against the opposition.
You need to take off the tin foil hat.

Wouldn't it actually make sense for the GOP to campaign their electors like crazy to pull their votes from Trump? I mean they've said from the beginning they want to get rid of him and they finally have their chance. And they'd basically get to handpick his replacement.

Seems like a no-brainer.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Wouldn't it actually make sense for the GOP to campaign their electors like crazy to pull their votes from Trump? I mean they've said from the beginning they want to get rid of him and they finally have their chance. And they'd basically get to handpick his replacement.

Seems like a no-brainer.

They were only doing that because they thought they were going to lose. It's easier to sit back and accept a bad win than make a mess.

Seems like a no-brainer.
No way. Their constituents voted him in. Number 1 concern is always getting reelected.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
You need to take off the tin foil hat.
What is this thread about again? Changing the electoral college votes because a foreign power intervened in the election process, and the president elect may have conspired with that foreign power to subvert the election?
But the president elect trying to subvert the next election is tin foil hat time?

The EC deliberately rebelling is a dangerous line to cross, no matter what the election. That's a genie you can't put back in the bottle.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The EC deliberately rebelling is a dangerous line to cross, no matter what the election. That's a genie you can't put back in the bottle.

Literally every other apocalyptic genie has been let out of its bottle by us reaching this point though, so I'm fine with us using our third wish to ram his ass back into itty bitty living space

MrNelson

Banned
Yeah, but wouldn't they have a better chance of getting re-elected in the future if they put a non-insane candidate in office?

If they remove him they lose the votes of those insane people. If they keep him they'll lose the moderates. I think they'll want to keep the one that's easily suggestible and has a rubber stamp to push whatever they can through and hope the crazies turn out in 2018 (they probably will).

Literally every other apocalyptic genie has been let out of its bottle by us reaching this point though, so I'm fine with us using our third wish to ram his ass back into itty bitty living space

You say that now, but you'll regret it in 2036 when a wave of nationalistic sentiment causes the EC to reject the reanimated head of Teddy Kennedy and instead deliver the presidency to KFC Presents Double Trump.

What is this thread about again? Changing the electoral college votes because a foreign power intervened in the election process, and the president elect may have conspired with that foreign power to subvert the election?
But the president elect trying to subvert the next election is tin foil hat time?
As far as we know all the Russians did was hack some email servers airing dirty laundry that already existed. That is equivalent to someone essentially breaking all the countries checks and balances within a short window to establish a dictatorship?

Seems like a no-brainer.

I feel if they do so, they lose the 27% of Americans that voted for him and risk widespread outrage. I think they'll let him get in and then provide the ammunition for the Democrats to push for impeachment. That way, in the eyes of Trump voters, the Dems take the fall for fucking him over and they get a right wing President who is a lot easier to influence than a deranged orange madman. We may even see a day where the Dems fight against Trumps impeachment, an organised hard right GOP will be a lot harder to deal with than the fractured fuckup of a Government that Trump will lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom