• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Closer look at the Xbox One from a user who got the console early

Not during the PS3/360 generation. XMB remained clean and simple throughout, even though it did become a little worse with that one update, and the store became awful at some point. Meanwhile, the X360 blades were decent, but it was all downhill from there. There was one iteration of NXE which was OK, but the one before that was slow, and the one after that (basically what we have today) is an ad-ridden mess.

Can't roll my eyes hard enough to this. XMB is a hot mess, I had a PS3 for a couple of months and even firing up a game requires got like 3 tabs to the left and 4 down then press X, while on the Xbox you just press A twice. Not to mention those huge ads, I never understood why people say PS3 doesn't have ads, when the first thing I see when I launch it is huge banners for games that I don't own.

Aestetically is not even close, XMB is like an early version of android, filler with Godawful customization of low res Transformers and NBA pics (I shared my PS3 with my sis). Unless there's some secret OS or something, I believe people are talking out of their ass (like when people say the Dualshock is a great controller for shooters)

Furyous

I like everything so far post 180 about Xone. It would've sucked if you couldn 't change the colors on parts of the dashboard but Microsoft planned ahead.

Have there always been ads on the dashboard for everyone? I wouldn't mind ads on the console if either company gave something away for free. Microsoft can make the entertainment apps free and Sony can make PSN discounts permanent or bring back DLNA support.

Will Microsoft punish retailers that do this?

Has it been said that this dudes controller doesn't have the "day one" marking on it? I thought all systems in the initial shipment were day one?

he was (very) late to preorder, catching a console on the monday before it arrived. that's why it's not the day-1 edition (as stupid as that sounds).

Can't roll my eyes hard enough to this. XMB is a hot mess,

XMB is simple and, most importantly, everything is quick to access and not hidden in some mysterious spot.

I had a PS3 for a couple of months and even firing up a game requires got like 3 tabs to the left and 4 down then press X, while on the Xbox you just press A twice.

This is simply false.

If there's a game in the drive, it goes to the XMB [Game] tab and the disc in the drive automatically at startup. Then you press X.

If no game in drive, it goes to the first downloaded game in the list; the default sort order is to show things from newest to oldest.

So, that's that.

Not to mention those huge ads, I never understood why people say PS3 doesn't have ads, when the first thing I see when I launch it is huge banners for games that I don't own.

Again no idea what you are talking about. When you start up it goes to <see above>. I use it every day, so I know this. The only ad, unless I go to the store area, is the small ticker in the upper right. In XBL dash every tab is dominated by several ads right in the middle.

There may be some option to make it start in the store tab or something, but if so I disabled it years ago.

Aestetically is not even close, XMB is like an early version of android, filler with Godawful customization of low res Transformers and NBA pics (I shared my PS3 with my sis).

If you're talking about avatars, then as usual you can buy your usual fill of fancy gamerpics. Mine is Leon from RE4... nothing low-res about it.

Regarding "customization," it is by far more customizable than the competition. You can set your damn background, for example, to whatever you want. You can make or download custom themes. And of course there are the dynamic themes, which are super-cool, though unfortunately that is not open to the general public.

XMB is fast and functional, though, and that's really the most important thing.

Unless there's some secret OS or something, I believe people are talking out of their ass

Based on the fact that your very first concrete complaint is false (and the rest is also dubious), the reverse is true.

(like when people say the Dualshock is a great controller for shooters)

I would never say that. That's crazy.

rvy

Banned
Sorry to derail things but your avatar picture is next level stupid hot, who is that?

I don't mean to creep out here but I'm curious where you found the pic for your avatar, that girl is next level hot, who is she?

sleepless-lolwvylq.gif

Top Bottom