• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Senate to investigate possible Trump-Russia ties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Ok well, I see lots of people saying Pence will become President if Trump gets impeached or the tape leaks/whatever. I just dont understand why. The political campaign was Trump/Pence 2016, not just Trump 2016. If the campaign benefited from a foreign agency, all it's members should be thrown to the wolves, not just the top guy.

Because that's not how the country works. If the president is not able to govern for whatever reason, the VP is president. If Trump were impeached, Pence would either become president or he would have to be independently investigated. If he were found to be compromised as well, Paul Ryan would be president.

I find it pretty difficult to believe anything will actually come of this. I simply don't trust the Republicans, like at all. This is happening, I believe, not because they have actual, genuine concerns, but because I suspect they feel as if they're being forced into a corner where they have to at least maintain the appearance of doing something about it.

I think it's wise to keep a level head but I think it's reasonable to consider that most Republican congressmen don't particularly like Trump, never did until he was elected basically, and would probably be more than happy to replace this daily controversy generator with a man like Pence or Ryan.

Nafai1123

Banned
Some smart GAFers are putting together some pieces in the Flynn thread.

From the Steele memos:

XXKR2iM.jpg

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...und-buy-russia-s-rosneft-stake-for-11-billion

Russia sells 19.5 stake in Rosneft.

Brand new interview by Trump about lifting sanctions

The more you guys indulge the fantasy of Trump getting the boot, the less energy you spend towards something constructive, like building a stronger Democratic coalition.

But no, shiny keys.

Most likely.

Do conservatives spend as much time as liberals policing what their base does and doesn't get excited or incensed about?

They will ignore it. Bet on it.
If the Trump administration is to have any free hand with Russia and other intelligence matters, ignoring it won't undue the damage already being done by these allegations. They have to forcefully prove that there's no there there.

This is already an albatross around the neck and they're still a week out from inauguration. I don't see how things improve by leaving this stuff in the air, unresolved.

Zips

People advising to just ignore this and assume nothing will happen should be quiet. Letting things slide by assuming nothing will happen is how people like Trump come to power.

Did people learn nothing from the election? Public anger and pressure does have an effect.

Bishman

The irony from all this is rich. People were talking about how Hillary was gonna have to deal with this and how they couldn't vote for someone under federal investigation. Those people have to feel sick now.

This is literally a role reversal from the campaign.

If Trump nominates a conservative, no way in hell Rubio votes against that person.

Rubio will use this to help his Presidential run in 2020 or 2024.

pompidu

If the Trump administration is to have any free hand with Russia and other intelligence matters, ignoring it won't undue the damage already being done by these allegations. They have to forcefully prove that there's no there there.

This is already an albatross around the neck and they're still a week out from inauguration. I don't see how things improve by leaving this stuff in the air, unresolved.

What damage? Repubs are ignoring all this and concentrating on un doing Obamacare. This is a slight distraction, while they do actual damage to existing laws and fucking with peoples lives.

People advising to just ignore this and assume nothing will happen should be quiet. Letting things slide by assuming nothing will happen is how people like Trump come to power.

Did people learn nothing from the election? Public anger and pressure does have an effect.

Excuse me for being grounded in my expectations.

Betty

Banned

Suddenly all of Trump's talk of wanting to be chummier with Russia and lifting sanctions takes on new reasoning.

Even if these investigations and agencies find no proof every decision he makes regarding Russia will be scrutinised.

Excuse me for being grounded in my expectations.
That's the thing, if so many people have issues with complacency, nothing will get done. You need to push with some pressure, otherwise nothing will ever move towards what your goals will be. People are deservedly angry and pressuring their Congressmen. Complaceny kills, as evidenced by this election.

What damage? Repubs are ignoring all this and concentrating on un doing Obamacare. This is a slight distraction, while they do actual damage to existing laws and fucking with peoples lives.

I'd consider allowing a Russian puppet to be president to be equally as disastrous as repealing the ACA at least.

Bullshit.

Former right-winger. Can confirm it's similar.

That's the thing, if so many people have issues with complacency, nothing will get done. You need to push with some pressure, otherwise nothing will ever move towards what your goals will be. People are deservedly angry and pressuring their Congressmen. Complaceny kills, as evidenced by this election.

You and others are confusing the process with the results. I urge my Congressmen to do their job in investigating this and holding people responsible. I expect little in the way of change to come about.

Is that clear enough?

I think this is a very real opportunity for the Republican knives to come out. They can install Pence as the president who will do plenty of damage on his own, but Orange Asshole is on another level entirely.

faisal233

Not really as it's being dismissed as McCarthyism.

No it's not. Weaponised boogeyman isn't about changing the opposition's mind, it's about suppressing their enthusiasm. 2 years of this and the real damage ACA repeal will do will be enough for the mid terms, even if Trump is able to suppress all the treason.

faisal233

This is the Democratic coalition. This is what the people here can do right now to help.

Imagine if the democrats went all in on this line of attack as soon as Trump became viable in the primaries. It was all available, and would have whipped up the base in a frenzy. Instead we went with what will your children think of trump, and the rust best said fuck your couch.

A constant 1-2 punch of ACA repeal and Russia would have damaged the GOP. Instead we got enough body blows with the bullshit server to go down. Hell, ACA repeal resulting in black lung benefits going away might have been enough to win the election

We appealed to the decency of people, and lost. Should have stoked their fears and won.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Some smart GAFers are putting together some pieces in the Flynn thread.

Brand new interview by Trump about lifting sanctions

i said it in the other thread but it deserves the attention.. that Bloomberg article is the first thing to make me post regarding this whole scandal. If theres any smoking gun type evidence its to be found with that 19% stuff.

If fucking Detective GAF brings down Trump.. lol

RDreamer

i said it in the other thread but it deserves the attention.. that Bloomberg article is the first thing to make me post regarding this whole scandal. If theres any smoking gun type evidence its to be found with that 19% stuff.

If fucking Detective GAF brings down Trump.. lol

lol, Detective GAF is just using google and twitter searches. I guarantee you if I'm finding these connections then the fucking CIA is too and either it's something and they need more concrete evidence to do anything or it really is a lot of smoke.

The quick and dirty sum of everything so far though:

So to summarize:

Dossier says Rosneft wants sanctions lifted so bad it would give up to 19% of its business to Page/Trump. This is from October. In December Rosneft privatizes and sells 19.5% to Glencore and Qatar, both of which had been advised by Guilliani's law firm. After the sale Page meets with Rosneft in Moscow. Qatar announces they'll spend $10 billion in infrastructure in the US in response to Trump 6 days after the sale. Then a former FSB agent and Igor Sechin's chief of staff is found dead in late December. (Igor Sechin is a blacklisted chairman of Rosneft and former KGB)

Meanwhile, Tillerson, Trump's pick for secretary of state curated a very close relationship between himself and Sechin plus ExxonMobil and Rosneft.

That's just a lot of coincidences.

bill0527

I'll give this walking fucking human Cheetoh a year before he's impeached. He'll eventually piss Congress off enough to where they will take their chances with Pence.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
lol, Detective GAF is just using google and twitter searches. I guarantee you if I'm finding these connections then the fucking CIA is too and either it's something and they need more concrete evidence to do anything or it really is a lot of smoke.

The quick and dirty sum of everything so far though:

i know, its a joke but i didnt want to reuse my GAFGate line from the other thread even if it would be more fitting. If the CIA and the people who get paid to do this stuff havent put this together already they deserve to be fired.

I find it pretty difficult to believe anything will actually come of this. I simply don't trust the Republicans, like at all. This is happening, I believe, not because they have actual, genuine concerns, but because I suspect they feel as if they're being forced into a corner where they have to at least maintain the appearance of doing something about it.

I do think that if the GOP actually found that Trump was 100% for a fact compromised by Russia/Putin, they would move to get rid of him, though probably not right away. Not because it's the right thing to do or anything like that, but a compromised President means all kinds of problems down the road for them. I would think, surely, they would see the potential harm to their own self-preservation that is. But I don't know, the modern GOP really is something else, so who knows. And 100% proving this will be pretty difficult to begin with.

This BOTH SIDES nonsense has to stop. It's legitimately ruining America, and has been for years.

And what's funny, is you still see so many people parrot how CNN is a "liberal network" lol. So ridiculous.

I'd say we weaponized fear of Trump and fear of Russia pretty well, no?

Lol, no? Are you kidding? The fear of Trump with Russia has mostly been 'weaponized' by the IC with liberals simply behind the trail of that. For the most part, the left have not been nearly as on top of this as they could be. I mean, hell, the biggest leading figure in most of this has been John McCain, for fuck's sake.

Zips

Former right-winger. Can confirm it's similar.

You and others are confusing the process with the results. I urge my Congressmen to do their job in investigating this and holding people responsible. I expect little in the way of change to come about.

Is that clear enough?

There is a difference between being realistic, or "grounded" as you claim to be, and cynical. Which do you think the declaration that nothing will happen qualifies as?

Even if you have done something to help, by spreading such cynicism you only discourage others from doing something themselves.

Grug

Even if the hearings reveal little about the allegations, I just can't see a way Trump can avoid perjuring himself if he is asked to give evidence. The dude literally has no truth filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom