• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Senate to investigate possible Trump-Russia ties

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
That's what they're saying right now. It's breaking, so the story is developing....

EDIT:

Has been on Politico for 35 mins apparently....

Intelligence Committee will investigate possible Russia-Trump links
The Senate panel will use ‘subpoenas if necessary’ to secure testimony from Obama administration officials as well as Trump’s team, Richard Burr and Mark Warner said.

Senate Intelligence Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) said late Friday that his committee would investigate possible contacts between Donald Trump’s campaign and Russia, reversing himself one day after telling reporters that the issue would be outside of his panel’s ongoing probe into Moscow’s election-disruption efforts.

Burr and the intelligence panel’s top Democrat, Virginia Sen. Mark Warner, said in a joint statement that the committee's probe would touch on "intelligence regarding links between Russia and individuals associated with political campaigns" as well as Russian cyberattacks and other election meddling outlined in an intelligence report released last week
Burr said late Thursday that he did not plan to touch on possible contacts between Trump emissaries and Russia, asserting that the issue likely falls under the FBI's purview. "We don't have anything to do with political campaigns," the Republican said.

The joint announcement from Burr and Warner commits the intelligence panel not only to probing possible Trump-Russia ties, but also to releasing "both classified and unclassified reports" with its conclusions and holding some open hearings. However, "the bulk of the committee's business" during the investigation will be tackled in private, the senators said.
Politico

C2FhhxuUoAQ2ft2.jpg

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/820043851645808640

Also, CNN link finally available:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/13/polit...-between-russia-campaigns/index.html?adkey=bn

Intelligence Committee will investigate possible Russia-Trump links

Senate Intelligence Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) said late Friday that his committee would investigate possible contacts between Donald Trump's campaign and Russia, reversing himself one day after telling reporters that the issue would be outside of his panel's ongoing probe into Moscow's election-disruption efforts.

Burr and the intelligence panel's top Democrat, Virginia Sen. Mark Warner, said in a joint statement that the committee's probe would touch on "intelligence regarding links between Russia and individuals associated with political campaigns" as well as Russian cyberattacks and other election meddling outlined in an intelligence report released last week.

The committee will use ”subpoenas if necessary" to secure testimony from Obama administration officials as well as Trump's team, Burr and Warner said.

The bipartisan Senate announcement came hours after several House Democrats aired their frustrations with FBI Director James Comey following a classified briefing on Russian election disruption. The Democrats were livid that Comey declined to confirm whether he is conducting an inquiry into potential Trump ties to Russia, The Guardian reported — a question that he publicly declined to answer earlier this week.

Burr said late Thursday that he did not plan to touch on possible contacts between Trump emissaries and Russia, asserting that the issue likely falls under the FBI's purview. "We don't have anything to do with political campaigns," the Republican said.

The joint announcement from Burr and Warner commits the intelligence panel not only to probing possible Trump-Russia ties, but also to releasing "both classified and unclassified reports" with its conclusions and holding some open hearings. However, "the bulk of the committee's business" during the investigation will be tackled in private, the senators said.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) "have made it clear they expect any investigation into Russia's involvement in our nation's elections to be conducted in a bipartisan manner," Burr and Warner said.

Warner added in his own statement that although the intelligence panel is "clearly best positioned" to tackle a wide-ranging Russia investigation, he would not rule out supporting legislation "to empower whoever can do it right" if the committee runs into difficulties. The Virginian is among a group of Democrats who have yet to endorse a proposal from senior members of their party for a select committee that would look at Russia's election cyberattacks and cybersecurity in general.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...nvestigate-possible-russia-trump-links-233621

I thought Trump made his ties in China? /badjoke.

Too little too late. Trump can't take office. Only Clapper/IC/Some amazing reporter will be able to fix this mess.

We need a Clapping chant. Everyone just start Clapping your hands until Clapper saves the nation.

Mully

I don't know if it's breaking wide open. I can see the investigation going the way of the Sessions, Tillerson, or Mattis hearing. A lot of bluster, but nothing rewarding.

Nafai1123

Banned
Something better come of this. My entire emotional state is based upon Trump going down at this point. I can't survive 4-8 years of this shit.

Will need to see the makeup of the committee before getting excited. Need to see GOPers not beholden Trump to make it, like Graham and/or McCain. Hopefully it starts from here.

Zukkoyaki

What I'm saying is that there's enough to convince the republicans to join a bipartisan investigation. That's pretty significant considering how on Trump's nuts a lot of them have been.

You guys are setting yourselves up for a massive disappointment. This shit happens for many things (including, dare I say, emails)

This doesn't mean that it is "confirmed" or anything.

There was never anything to get Hillary for which is why all of their wasteful investigations never turned up anything. If there's something here they will do something about it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Really depends on how they'd prefer Pence

I do not get the "Pence would be worse!" argument at all.

Trump is an idiot, really only second to every single person who voted for him. Trump will sign anything the GOP congress puts under his nose. What the GOP congress wants, is what Pence wants. No matter what, we're getting a shitty GOP platform.

Pence at least isn't going to start a war when someone slights him.

epmode

after hearing what the republicans had to ask trump's nominees, NOTHING will be found

I dunno, I have a small bit of faith in this process. Remember, LOTS of Republican-controlled committees investigated Hillary Clinton over the years and came up with nothing again and again.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm glad this is happening, but I worry for GOP fuckery. They're scum and they'd rather have a Russian puppet as the POTUS than to lose more power.

Still, this is a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom