• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: The FBI translator who went rogue and married an ISIS terrorist

As much as I'm repulsed by her actions, I'm always in favor of merciful resolutions. The two years lost is enough, let her atone through renewed dedication to her family.

Sanojio

A white girl gets two years for committing treason and joining an enemy state/organization....thanks 45

In all seriousness I wouldn't be surprised if she is still employed by the FBI. And they are this incompetent?

Apathy

Let's be real. Being a blonde white woman certainly didn't hurt.

If she were a LeShawna Brown or a Hamida Najjar, you know she would be in a jail cell with 45 demonize her on a daily basis every chance he could, talking about having to get more and more security to sniff out these people at borders and trying to pass mandatory cavity searches for every non white person

Sayad

she was like there for three weeks

literally she went "on vacation," married this dude (while still married to an American soldier back home), had second thoughts, returned and then got arrested.

And she was 38, not 18. There's no excuse.
Not sure what does her age or how long she stayed there has to do with this, having the option for defectors to return home on their own is far more valuable than punishing a single agent who's live is already ruined anyway.

He praised Osama bin Laden in a song, threatened former President Barack Obama with a throat-cutting gesture and appeared in propaganda videos, including one in which he was holding a freshly severed human head.

Go girl, that seems a good catch! Who doesn't like people with a thing for severed heads! Totally not alarming!
/s

Within weeks of marrying Cuspert, Greene, 38, seemed to realize she had made a terrible mistake.

"I was weak and didn't know how to handle anything anymore," she wrote on July 8. "I really made a mess of things this time."

In other words: "I was thinking with my pussy". Let's call a spade a spade.

Well, At least she realized her mistake before it was too late.

About why only 2 years of prison, well, technically she didn't join ISIS, but married one dude from ISIS, and in few weeks saw the mistake and ran away. I don't think she had time to be a full member of a terror cell or anything like that.

Boem

People on Gaf are out for blood and revenge on this one huh. Should have guessed.

Spending 2 years in prison is actually a pretty long time. It may not sound like much, but we don't know any details here. What purpose would locking her up for life serve? Just to please that little feeling in your gut?

That's not to say she didn't do anything wrong, obviously she did. Big time. But man people are happy to grab those pitchforks based on 1 article.

Reading the first page of this thread is all sorts of fucked up. Jeez. One of the reasons I'm happy we don't have jury duty where I live. Mob justice is real.

Kin5290

If Manning and Snowden slipped through in the CIA, anything is possible.
Manning was US Army, Snowden was a NSA contractor. And it's the FBI that handles counterintelligence, not the CIA (which does foreign intelligence).

The woman the article is about kinda sounds like a real life Carrie Mathison from Homeland. Both are in late 30s, blonde, and fell in love with terrorists.

Sapiens

While she's in jail, a sound clip should be looped reminding her that she would have been sliced in half by ISIS "law" for the same crime if the situation was reversed.

Two years is fine, but it should probably be 5-10 to teach her a lesson and remind her that most women living under ISIS rule didn't have the choice that she was able to make.

Idiot. Civilization was so horrible to her.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
What's amazing is that she got a job. I imagine most people would not hire someone who had something to do with Isis. I wouldn't.

Why would they blur her face? Why are her safety concerns held in higher reguard than any of the other idiots who run off and become an ISIS bride?

BajiBoxer

Banned
I'm bi-polar and have made some terrible decisions in my time, but I will never understand how a well off white lady decides turning traitor to marry an ISIS member is the thing to do. This case will baffle me until the end of time.

Buckle

It's like those people who marry jailed serial killers.
My brother's wife first met him/wrote to him while he was in jail.

He's not a murderer, just a repeat idiot on much lesser offenses but it still blows my mind that women will actually seek out men in prison.

Top Bottom