• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Codemasters just announced Dirt 4

danowat

Banned
I just want to know if they are bringing the physics over from DR, rather than going back to the god awful physics from the previous few iterations.

This is great news, although I hope the mix of influence from DiRT Rally and past DiRT games is learning a bit more towards Rally. Stage generation sounds like a great way to keep it fresh too.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Dirt 4... not dirt rally 2. Pls dont disappoint

So fuckjng hyped though. Dirt rally is my goty 2016 and my favorite racer ever.

I always liked the Dirt series. 2 was the best for me as 3 went a bit too far into all the gymkhana stuff. I hope they have more stage events and a good mix of vehicle types.

I enjoyed DiRT 2 the most but wanted a snowy terrain as well so I was excited for DiRT 3 but then didn't care for all the Gymkhana stuff.

Just hope DiRT 4 is diverse with it's terrain, weather, and environments while providing a highly customizable experience for the hardcore sim and in between arcade&sim fans alike.

op_ivy

Ok, from the teaser that looks more like rally than dirt 1-3.... stunning too

I wonder how long the custom rally courses can get. I'd love to drive some long-ass courses with a slightly more arcadey feel than Dirt Rally (which I love, don't get me wrong), it would be such a zen experience...

LostDonkey

Strange. I was a backer of Dirt Rally from the start and it used to name your save folders as Dirt 4.

Can't wait to hear and more importantly see more of this though.

vermadas

Day one if it has VR support on PC, if not it's a bargain bin buy for me, if at all.

I don't know if their VR support for Dirt Rally will mean that this release will feature it as well. It's going to be interesting to see whether AAA racing games will continue to support VR or drop it. And I don't want to see anymore exclusivity regarding VR. A PSVR exclusive would be somewhat of a kick in the teeth.

Wait and see, I guess. It's not in the announcement page or in the feature list reported by gamereactor, so that's really not a good sign.

https://www.gamereactor.eu/news/500843/Dirt+4+announced,+and+its+not+far+away/

Echoes my feelings.

GKB

I just want to know if they are bringing the physics over from DR, rather than going back to the god awful physics from the previous few iterations.

According to this Red Bull article http://www.redbull.com/sg-en/dirt-4-interview-red-bull-games

DiRT 4 will resonate with all players regardless of whether they consider themselves an arcade or sim racer. The beauty is that you can choose exactly what type of experience you want to have, and then play the game on your terms. If you want something fun that doesn’t require in-depth knowledge of automotive engineering and vehicle dynamics, then you can just dive into the game and have a great time. If you loved the challenge of DiRT Rally, then you can switch to the Sim Handling mode and have an experience that is even closer to the real deal than we managed to achieve with DiRT Rally.

Maybe we'll be able to choose between the two? I hope that's not just marketing and we will have the DR kind of physics.

op_ivy

Your track is amazing for longevity. Playing in leagues with no restarts on new tracks will be awesome. And as the op quote points out, it could be a great tool for players to get better with easy courses but also courses designed to tackle specific skills.

And dirt academy? Nice

xrnzaaas

I still hope that Dirt Rally 2 is coming at some point (2018? 2019?). I'll buy Dirt 4 if it'll have a proper career mode (not only 'create your own stage and go nuts') and as long as there's no Gymkhana.

bombshell

That's the thing, the fans wanted a real Rally game and they got it with Dirt Rally. It was early access and really well supported.

If they're going back to Dirt 3, they're effectively abandoning the 'Rally'.

Or they're planning to have an arcade rally series and a sim rally series. I think with Dirt 4 coming this soon it has been in development simultaneously with Dirt Rally for some time (also considering the '4' teaser tweet posted further up from 2014).

KORNdoggy

"With DiRT 4, we've sought to combine the levels of thrill and realism from last year's DiRT Rally with the fearless excitement, fun, and adrenaline-fuelled races previously seen in its critically acclaimed prequels DiRT 2 and DiRT 3"

i don't feel like this is possible. so i think it'll sway way more towards the arcade lameness of the last 2 DiRT games. i at least hope they've got rid of the americanised "extreme" gymkana crap. and ugh. buggy and truck racing? joyride events?...this is definitely a Dirt sequel

i guess i'll wait for DiRT Rally 2.

DavidDesu

Please handle just like Dirt Rally.. please handle just like Dirt Rally....

If they can do that (give amateurs their easy mode if they must) combined with the infinite stage creator... ooft.

RaceManIak

Neo Member
looks like a mix between Dirt 2 and Dirt Rally and it's perfect for me.
So happy for the comeback of Buggies and Pro2/Pro4 trucks !

Pre-order day 1

this thread really just sold me on Dirt Rally more than anything else lol

I want to like the series, but 3 was kinda weird and turned me off of it. But if Rally and 4 focus more on racing again...

Dirt 'number' should have stopped with 3, this just makes me think its going to be upsetting like 3 was after they said 60% of the game was rally stages, which was false.

op_ivy

According to this Red Bull article http://www.redbull.com/sg-en/dirt-4-interview-red-bull-games

Maybe we'll be able to choose between the two? I hope that's not just marketing and we will have the DR kind of physics.

IF the sim mode handles at least as good AMD the stages are as realistic (narrow), than good.

Still though, i hate that their attention and resources are split on two+ groups of players and all those other useless events. Give me pure rally focused dirt rally next time. I dont want trucks, buggies, arcade drifting.

DavidDesu

Or they're planning to have an arcade rally series and a sim rally series. I think with Dirt 4 coming this soon it has been in development simultaneously with Dirt Rally for some time (also considering the '4' teaser tweet posted further up from 2014).

Thing is I honestly don't think the handling in Dirt Rally is all that difficult. It's the stages themselves and how tight they are that is the challenge. I hope they don't dumb down the handling physics.. they should just make stages of varying difficulty. The easier early on ones more open and flowy, the difficult ones narrow with unsighted hairpins and the like..

Edit: the Red Bull article makes me.more confident Code masters have finally learned..honestly I've been pretty impressed with F1 2016 (apart from a stupid issue with pad steering) and Dirt Rally was perfect. After years of lame arcade physics nonsense they absolutely have things spot on. Hope this continues. Under THIS Codemasters I could handle another Touring Cars game from them again..

Kaji AF16

I swear I was thinking about a possible announcement yesterday, while playing the glorious Dirt Rally (which has absorbed me like no other racing game has in the last few years, including my beloved Forzas). I log in almost every day to do the online daily / weekly / monthly events; the driving model, car selection and sound are a somewhat addictive combo.

My hopes are very high after the realist, visceral experience of DR. If it continues this trend of "more simulator, less gimmicky", I´ll be there on Day 1.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Your Stage sounds kind of cool but without a lot of fine tuning ability for elevation and what the exact makeup of the road is (which is even more important in a rally game vs. other racing games), I don't know if that's going to stick. Track creators generally end up being a feature that go underused.

Apparently every game would be a good Switch title.
Port begging is definitely at an all-time high.

membran

I just bought Dirt Rally because of the VR DLC so I feel this is a bit too soon :/

The game's still almost half a year away. Dirt Rally, as brilliant as it is, doesn't have a lot of tracks, you'll likely be ready for a new game until then. :)

bombshell

Images from that post:

32126670350_afe5a481ac_o.jpg

32126670260_7fa552de13_o.jpg

If they seriously bring an improved version of Dirt Rally's physics into this game alongside the track generator

o_o

jesus christ

I'm SO in

Waiting Dirt 4 be more in line with Rally than Dirt 3

Also, Where's is my "Why It Matters 'Dirt 4' Isn't Coming To The Nintendo Switch Either" thread? I'm ready for the madness

Certinty

Can't see this having the same physics as DiRT Rally sadly.

But as long as they don't dumb it down too much I'll be happy. The DiRT games in general besides Rally have been really arcadey, especially the last few. Really hoping this isn't like that.

op_ivy

Hopefully they have dlc in mind this time. Perhaps they'll be able to add content for the "disciplines" being played. A few weeks after launch all the casuals will have flocked to the next thing and codies will support this as a true succussor to dirt rally! Mwahaha

Pls.

MaxiLive

"With DiRT 4, we’ve sought to combine the levels of thrill and realism from last year’s DiRT Rally with the fearless excitement, fun, and adrenaline-fuelled races previously seen in its critically acclaimed prequels DiRT 2 and DiRT 3"

i don't feel like this is possible. so i think it'll sway way more towards the arcade lameness of the last 2 DiRT games. i at least hope they've got rid of the americanised "extreme" gymkana crap.

This soon after Dirt Rally probably means it running on a modified Dirt Rally engine + physics. Then additional time has been spent toning the assists to work more aggressively making it easier to drive, adding car resets and all that jazz.

Plus for the accessibility side it seems like a lot more of it is aimed at ramping up the difficulty rather than it being 100% from the get go for people new to the series. Hence the Dirt Academy, which probably teaches you the basics and lets you mess around with the different assists etc.

Then the addition of buggies and what not are probably far more forgiving to drive than the rally cars.

danowat

Banned
Hopefully they have dlc in mind this time. Perhaps they'll be able to add content for the "disciplines" being played. A few weeks after launch all the casuals will have flocked to the next thing and codies will support this as a true succussor to dirt rally! Mwahaha

Pls.

It's quite obvious now why there was no DLC for Dirt Rally..........

MJLord

I've been begging for Dirt Academy for ages.

It's not enough for people to just turn off the assists when they feel like it, teach people how to race.

Afro

Can't see this having the same physics as DiRT Rally sadly.

But as long as they don't dumb it down too much I'll be happy. The DiRT games in general besides Rally have been really arcadey, especially the last few. Really hoping this isn't like that.

"you can switch to the Sim Handling mode and have an experience that is even closer to the real deal than we managed to achieve with DiRT Rally."

from the red bull article. hope it's true.

Top Bottom