• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty is leaving Kinda Funny Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps as thin skinned as you'd have to be to be offended by a joke?

For the love of imaginary Jesus, it's been made clear that the issue with Colin is not a single (godawful) joke, but his childish, arrogant reaction to disappointment and criticism and the pattern of selfish behavior that is revealed the more you peel back the onion that is his history of social interactions.

It's really the easiest thing in the world to go "Eh my joke didn't land, I'll try better next time."

Unless, of course, the person is an asshole. THEN they default to calling everyone with he AUDACITY to disagree with them 'humorless shit bags' or whatever it was.

Moriarty supports the struggle of Black Americans, he just ridicules Colin Kaepernick for protesting

Moriarty supports women, he just makes sexist jokes on Women's Day

Moriarty supports diversity, he just only invite white men on his show

Moriarty cares about transpeople, he just complains about people protesting against professional harasser and transphobe

Moriarty cares about poor people, he just doesn't support policies that benefit the poor

Moriarty cares about removing safe spaces, he just blocks anyone who legitimately criticize him

Moriarty cares about native Americans, he just complains about them for 10 minutes straight when they write something about cultural appropriation

Moriarty cares about polite discourse, he just calls oppressed people humorless sacks of shit when they voice their displeasure with his humor

For all the things that Colin Moriarty claims he is, and all the defenders, moderates and supporters who claim similarly, I've yet to see something that supports this narrative of being in support of oppressed people. His actions speak louder than whatever things he claim to support.

Add "Moriarty supports gay people, he just thinks everyone should have voted for the most anti-gay candidate in history" and this is a perfect list.

EDIT: Tweet for reference
https://twitter.com/notaxation/status/819023602339037184

That twitter rant is so weird. When asked a question like that you can just respond like oh I'll try to do better about that in the future or something like that. I mean even though there are a ton of white guys in the industry at least you're listening.

A rant about how you're color blind when it comes to race and how dare anyone mention it sets off a few red flags.

_Ryo_

The less alt-righters in Gaming Media for the better I say.
But I also think the less alt-righters in politics is for the better as well. If he's truly going into politics I can only hope he fails miserably and that his actions do not negatively affect minorities, the poor.

I haven't said anything about asking or making the joke in this particular case. I'm specifically talking about being offended by both those things.

It's equally ridiculous in this case.

There's a world's difference...

Reacting to a sexist joke and Colin's subsequent childish reactions to said reactions and acting like a child because someone asked about a lack of diversity are not equal.

SCB3

Once you're arguing about discrimination toward white men, you've lost the plot entirely. Please read literally any piece of academic, rigorous research looking at the pervasive effects of race and gender in the workplace. White men are advantaged in almost every way in most contexts. It's nice to want everyone to be treated fairly, but that would actually entail treating white men like everyone else (i.e., worse) and I highly doubt you want white men to lose their privilege.

I'm more saying that everyone should be treated well.

As for discrimination towards white men, I'm seeing it more examples, especially online, where if you're a white man, suddenly you cannot have the same opinions or actually help defend against certain civil rights, or be attacked for trying to speak out or help, it's ridiculous,

Speaking personally, I am a white male, I'm not racist or sexist in any way, I consider both to be the most stupidest arguments ever, I don't get how people can hate based on gender, sexual orientation or race. But everyone should be like that in an ideal world, and I hope we get there.

J-Skee

Once you're arguing about discrimination toward white men, you've lost the plot entirely. Please read literally any piece of academic, rigorous research looking at the pervasive effects of race and gender in the workplace. White men are advantaged in almost every way in most contexts. It's nice to want everyone to be treated fairly, but that would actually entail treating white men like everyone else (i.e., worse) and I highly​ doubt you want white men to lose their privilege.

Louis CK said it best.

meanspartan

Watching that Rubin Report interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxQbfn8cL-8) his comments on refugee cities and how we should 'support ICE' to 'arrest criminals'...

Regarding Trump, he doesn't like the messenger, but he likes the message. He is saying he agrees with all of Trump's policies. His own words. Watch the interview.

I am an immigration attorney, I know well of and care about this issue. However, being against sanctuary cities, while not something I agree with, is hardly some unreasonable hateful stance.

Further, they are not "Refugee" cities. The overwhelming majority of Undocumented immigrants for the most part are not refugees, and it cheapens the term to toss it around so carelessly for people who actually are refugees.

Two Words

Oh, so you're saying he shouldn't try to pursue diversity for diversity's sake.
No. If you look around you and you strictly notice that everybody around you is from a small and similar subset of humans, you should try and diversify. It doesn't mean get any woman or black guy. It would mean put more effort into finding somebody with a different background. It doesn't mean you haven't tried to do that or that you strictly were trying to look for white men. But any person should try to make sure they aren't subconsciously doing things to limit their audience selection.

joe2187

Banned
Colin. Does. Not. Like. Trump.

Why do people keep insisting he's a trump supporter? He left the Republican Party over the man!

Says: Dont Like Trump

Also Says: Would vote trump over Hillary

Also saying: Supports trumps and repubs policies and EO's regardless of dislike for trump. Because of...reasons.

Lime

Because it works when you're peddling a narrative...

I'm getting frustrated here, but how the hell is this a 'narrative'?

Moriarty supports the struggle of Black Americans, he just ridicules Colin Kaepernick for protesting

Moriarty cares about transpeople, he just complains about people protesting against professional harasser and transphobe

Moriarty cares about poor people, he just doesn't support policies that benefit the poor

Moriarty cares about removing safe spaces, he just blocks anyone who legitimately criticize him

Moriarty cares about native Americans, he just complains about them for 10 minutes straight when they write something about cultural appropriation

Moriarty cares about polite discourse, he just calls oppressed people humorless sacks of shit when they voice their displeasure with his humor

For all the things that Colin Moriarty claims he is, and all the defenders, moderates and supporters who claim similarly, I've yet to see something that supports this narrative of being in support of oppressed people. His actions speak louder than whatever things he claim to support.

Why are people still defending him? Why do people refuse to realize the factual actions that he's taking?

I'm more saying that everyone should be treated well.

As for discrimination towards white men, I'm seeing it more examples, especially online, where if you're a white man, suddenly you cannot have the same opinions or actually help defend against certain civil rights, or be attacked for trying to speak out or help, it's ridiculous,

Speaking personally, I am a white male, I'm not racist or sexist in any way, I consider both to be the most stupidest arguments ever, I don't get how people can hate based on gender, sexual orientation or race. But everyone should be like that in an ideal world, and I hope we get there.

And getting there includes questions like why only white men...

Getting there includes not responding to that by claiming you're being called a fascist and railing against Identity Politics and claiming you don't see race...

Getting there means not claiming that that question is discrimination against white men and racist.

Getting there includes not claiming that white men are more and more discriminated against on the Internet.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Colin. Does. Not. Like. Trump.

Why do people keep insisting he's a trump supporter? He left the Republican Party over the man!

He doesn't like Trump but loves a lot of his policies and ideas. He basically doesn't like Trump the person but the political platform he stands on sure is appealing.

Roni

Gold Member
There's a world's difference...

Reacting to a sexist joke and acting like a child because someone asked about a lack of diversity are not eqial.

No, there isn't. Being offended by stuff people say is always ridiculous. Comedy is always made at someone's expense and sexists jokes have got nothing on actually acting sexist. I myself have done it from time to time, being offended by words, but I honestly try to do less of it all the time and I think we all should.

For example, I don't believe in picking a fight because someone says my wife's a whore. I believe in picking a fight when someone physically threatens my wife. And this whole "feelings" thing going on with the left right now is the reason we lost an election.

Orayn

No, there isn't. Being offended by stuff people say is always ridiculous. Comedy is always made at someone's expense and sexists jokes have got nothing on actually acting sexist.

Basically, I always think being offended by what someone is ridiculous - although I myself have done it from time to time, but I honestly try to do less of it all the time and I think we all should.

For example, I don't believe in picking a fight because someone says my wife's a whore. I believe in picking a fight when someone physically threatens my wife.

So this is just "sticks and stones" post

Words do hurt people and you're fucking wrong, but I do appreciate that you're not trying to hide it at least

He doesn't like Trump but loves a lot of his policies and ideas. He basically doesn't like Trump the person but the political platform he stands on sure is appealing.

I guess you don't know this, but it's actually possible to agree with some things that people do and not agree with other things that they do. It's almost like not everyone you don't like is Hitler.

No, there isn't. Being offended by stuff people say is always ridiculous. Comedy is always made at someone's expense and sexists jokes have got nothing on actually acting sexist. I myself have done it from time to time, being offended by words, but I honestly try to do less of it all the time and I think we all should.

For example, I don't believe in picking a fight because someone says my wife's a whore. I believe in picking a fight when someone physically threatens my wife. And this whole "feelings" thing going on with the left right now is the reason we lost an election.

I mean your prerogative if you're cool with someone calling your wife a whore I guess.

meanspartan

He also has several examples of being very much in line with these ideals. You are picking out his worst elements and discounting any evidence that counters your predetermined narrative, just like those people quoting that blog repeatedly as if it is definitive proof and not just an opinion piece.

People are fundamentally complicated, I know that that is frustrating to accept when we want to put them in nice little labeled boxes. Colin is an interesting person, a good writer, and an entertaining podcaster. His opinions are sometimes shitty, and his behavior is occasionally horrible, as it was with his pathetic reaction to the highly predictable backlash his dumb joke would cause.

I was a fan of Colin's work in gaming while accepting his flaws and expecting to frequently be irritated with his political opinions. I don't defend his unsavory actions, but I also won't ignore all the times when he DID live up to the high ideals he talks about.

meanspartan

Add "Moriarty supports gay people, he just thinks everyone should have voted for the most anti-gay candidate in history" and this is a perfect list.

He didn't vote for Trump or support him. He voted for Johnson, who was fine with gay marriage.

You guys weaken your argument when you undermine it with this sort of bullshit. Colin does the exact same thing ironically haha.

HStallion

So what makes it OK that Louis CK is joking about it but it's despicable if Colin does it?

Louis CK is a world renowned comedian known for dark and scathing humor about all sorts. Colin is a videogame talking head that makes jokes on Twitter a 12 year old would have come up with. The staggering difference in skill, charisma and talent is what let's Louis say what he does and pull it off. Not to mention that Louis worked a very long time to hone his skills, tighten up his routine and work on his delivery and all the missteps and stumbles that go with that. Colin made a dumb joke and didn't handle criticism to it well at all.

J-Skee

So what makes it OK that Louis CK is joking about it but it's despicable if Colin does it?

I personally haven't said anything about Moriarty, but as far as Louis CK is concerned, is what he said really a joke? I mean, sure, it's presented as a joke & it's funny, but what he said is very real.

He didn't vote for Trump or support him. He voted for Johnson, who was fine with gay marriage.

You guys weaken your argument when you undermine it with this sort of bullshit. Colin does the exact same thing ironically haha.

Yes he didn't vote for Trump but would have if forced between chosing between him or Clinton...

So yay...

He supported Romney in 2012 who opposed gay marriage and admitted he'd vote Trump over Clinton this election if he had too.

Roni

Gold Member
Words do hurt people and you're fucking wrong, but I do appreciate that you're not trying to hide it at least

Yeah, they do, and they shouldn't. That's the whole point here, mate. Because of this stance we're stacking normal people with real racists, pedophiles, homophobes, etc...

meanspartan

Yes he didn't vote for Trump but would have if forced between chosing between him or Clinton...

So yay...

So that makes him hate gay people? That's quite a fucking stretch. Especially when Trump, for all his other horribleness, had not been particularly nasty to the LGBT community in comparison to past GOP candidates (I know that is a low bar).

UPDATE - I fucked up leaving the "T" on. Trump has indeed been awful for the trans community, and it was messed up of me to forget that.

HStallion

I guess you don't know this, but it's actually possible to agree with some things that people do and not agree with other things that they do. It's almost like not everyone you don't like is Hitler.

So Colin likes shitty policy and ideas but not the shitty person pushing them? That's basically what I was saying in the post you quoted of mine.

meanspartan

He supported Romney in 2012 who opposed gay marriage and admitted he'd vote Trump over Clinton this election if he had too.

Clinton didn't support gay marriage in 2008, nor did Obama.

If your argument is that Colin is roughly two years behind the "moral time limit" to be for gay marriage, fine, you win.

He's actually been pro-gay marriage for much longer, not everyone is a single issue voter I guess.

Louis CK is a professional comedian doing a routine?

So that's where the line is drawn? Need to have a professional comedian license? If Louis CK had tweeted parts of his stand up routine, the internet would explode.

Satire, how does it work?

Wasn't Colin satirical? I am not trying to provoke people just asking an honest question. If we take satire by it's Ancient Greek definition (see Aristophanes' plays for instance) then satire should have no limits on topic.

So that makes him hate gay people? That's quite a fucking stretch. Especially when Trump, for all his other horribleness, had not been particularly nasty to the LGBT community in comparison to past GOP candidates (I know that is a low bar).

You might want to get up to date on some of the people and policies Trump has been supporting lately.

Alucrid

Banned

unless you're a transgender student and want to use the bathroom

So that's where the line is drawn? Need to have a professional comedian license? If Louis CK had tweeted parts of his stand up routine, the internet would explode.

Wasn't Colin satirical? I am not trying to provoke people just asking an honest question. If we take satire by it's Ancient Greek definition (see Aristophanes' plays for instance) then satire should have no limits on topic.

Louis' entire routine is poking fun at the notion that white privelage doesn't exist because "being white is awesome!" and of fucking course it's easier being white in America. Has Colin expressed this position? Not sure where your comparison is coming from in terms of positions as it doesn't sound like anything Colin has said, but if listen to that Louis bit and come away thinking "oh man he's such a white supremacist talking about how awesome it is to be white!", you've missed the point.

Clinton didn't support gay marriage in 2008, nor did Obama.

If your argument is that Colin is roughly two years behind the "moral time limit" to be for gay marriage, fine, you win.

He's actually been pro-gay marriage for much longer, not everyone is a single issue voter I guess.

Obama appointed two Justices who helped gay marriage legal.

If it was up to Colin, either McCain or Romney would've been President as a result, filled those spots with anti-gay marriage conservative justices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom