• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty of Kinda Funny: source says "most developers are not happy with PS4.5"

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Expected.

The PS4K seems like a system made for nobody. Bad for consumers, bad for developers.

Wrong and wrong.

Heck, as a dev I'm always mad when Apple introduces a new iPhone screen/res size, because that means more work for me in order to support it. But it creates a healthy brand life for the iPhone, drives new sales, and secures a strong future and opportunity for more iOS app sales.

This is the most non-news news ever.

Of course, they now have to work extra to make the games run on two consoles, it taking away the advantage of a closed system.

I cannot fathom why people are so in support of consoles becoming like this.

Harp

Let me guess developers that can't take full advantage of a console in its life time are upset. They won't be able to take advange of a new one. Can't they just make a base mode and a neo mode that does nothing?

killroy87

It can't be THAT hard to for Sony to make tools that'll help developers scale up their games, right?

It's best to just assume anything regarding developing games is actually a lot harder than you think it is.

Wrong and wrong.

Heck, as a dev I'm always mad when Apple introduces a new iPhone screen/res size, because that means more work for me in order to support it. But it creates a healthy brand life for the iPhone, drives new sales, and secures a strong future and opportunity for more iOS app sales.

This is the most non-news news ever.

People reeeeeally need to stop equating this to phones. It's not the same thing. Smart phones are 100% completely different products that serve different facets of our lives. And videogame consoles will never, ever be as important to people as to be willing to do yearly upgrades the same way.

silva1991

Most devs aren't happy

atleast half of the consumers(if forums and other gaming sites any indications) aren't happy

yeah I doubt PS4k is happening and they will just announce the slim version.

I understand them being upset, but this is easier than guessing for PC development, right? The specs will at least be locked in, so they aren't having to add a bunch of graphical switches and lord knows what else to account for the zillions of potential PC configurations.

icespide

Banned
It can't be THAT hard to for Sony to make tools that'll help developers scale up their games, right?

the idea of a magical checkbox that just outputs a PS4K version is a pipe dream. any competent developer is going to exhaustively test and debug for each SKU they support.

RdN

Of course they are not happy!

In a generation where development costs have skyrocketed, having to essentially develop for another platform will obviously have a poor reception!

It struck me as being a dumb idea the moment I first heard about it, so I'm not surprised. Just seems like such a miguided maneuver for Sony to make considering how much they're excelling in the console market right now.

One might counter that it would be more misguided to rest on one's laurels, though. It's a gamble, but if it pays off...

Steel

Banned
Most devs aren't happy

atleast half of the consumers(if forums and other gaming sites any indications) aren't happy

yeah I doubt PS4k is happening and they will just announce the slim version.

It'll happen because they have money to gain. People who haven't bought a PS4 will be happy to buy an even better version, some of those who have will buy the better version, those who have and won't upgrade already inserted their money into the machine.

What? You mean that developers aren't thrilled about the option to pump extra time, money, and human resources into their games for most likely no increase in returns?

I wonder if its something like console only developers will find it awkward since they only know how to target one box but devs who have experience on PC will find it much easier and just have the neo version target high presets instead of normal for the PS4.

A lot of it probably lies in Sonys tools and how PS4 and NEO games work out. Is it the same code on both but options for better stuff on the neo? Or is it two completely different games on the same disc?

Jonboy

It doesn't let them aim for a higher ceiling at all. It still has to be essentially a PS4 game. They don't gain new room for their vision from this model.
Serious question...

Did the Witcher 3 Ultra suffer because they also made the game run on XB1/PS4? Does The Division on Ultra PC suffer? Is this something that's been happening already and I'm just unaware of it?

The only thing I can think of is there are going to be firm requirements in place for PS4/NEO whereas on PC those variables can be... well, variable. A ton of PC games come out with middling options and they can get away with it because there isn't really a standard.

Plus you're looking at extra cert time for 2 separate versions of the same game (and possibly double cert process for patches), where PC doesn't really go through certification. Devs are either gonna have to submit to Sony earlier, or Sony's gonna have to hire a shitload more people to keep the pace.
I see. That makes sense.

georly

Nah they'll just lock the settings on both versions to save cost. PS4 version will look and run exactly the same as ps4k

As long as that's possible/allowed, then ok :)

Or just target the games for ps4 and xbo as they do now? Radical concept, I know.

As I don't know how the ps4k will work, I assume there's always a possibility that, even if locked to the OG ps4's specs, you'd probably still have to TEST on a ps4k to make sure there are no issues. Hopefully sony has measures in place to prevent that being necessary. I assume they'd want to.

Morts

I could've sworn there was scuttlebutt back around launch that larger publishers were disappointed that the new systems weren't as powerful as expected. Maybe they're happy while debs who weren't making PC versions anyway are less so?

Instro

Frankly outside of first party titles, and exclusives, I don't expect a lot of optimization work to go into the Neo versions. There's not much incentive.

Plum

Most of them probably weren't too happy with PS2 either. In the end, they'll adapt.

Those are nothing alike. Dev kits were given out way in advance of release and Sony didn't force developers to make a PS1 and PS2 version of their games. For devs making games now it'll mean having to create a new version with relatively little notice, and for devs in the future it will mean having to create two versions from scratch with all the testing/optimization issues that brings.

emb

I'm glad in a way. Personally I'm not hoping for incremental console upgrades to catch-on or be popular. I hope people's jobs, either at Sony or at various dev houses aren't impacted too negatively by it though.

Still, I think that we'll see most ignore it initially, but then a couple years down the line Neo mode will be standard and games in normal mode will make significant sacrifices.

The ps2 didn't force them to make ps1 games. Or they only develop for the NEO and piss off ps4 owners.

Developing for the Neo will be unlike any of your examples.

Those are nothing alike. Dev kits were given out way in advance of release and Sony didn't force developers to make a PS1 and PS2 version of their games. For devs making games now it'll mean having to create a new version with relatively little notice, and for devs in the future it will mean having to create two versions from scratch with all the testing/optimization issues that brings.

It's definitely going to be an issue for games releasing this fall and probably early next year as well. After some time though, devs will get a grasp on things and it'll be fine.

Joni

Let's hope it fails fast enough so they never try something like that again. Six year console cycles are necessary, especially nowadays.

Mesoian

Totally expected. Extra work + money on every project so Sony can save face, and if the NEO modes aren't leaps and bounds better looking than normal mode, the developer looks bad.

I'd be surprised if anyone not getting financial help from Sony is happy about it, especially japan where only a few companies are actually making super graphics heavy games.

Kathian

Banned
Whats really surprising to me is they are saying you have to include this on PS4 releases as standard. Seems far too hard and a bit close minded honestly.

Sony execs just seeing the cash and wanting more of it imo without really thinking through how it will work at market.

jbug617

Banned
I could've sworn there was scuttlebutt back around launch that larger publishers were disappointed that the new systems weren't as powerful as expected. Maybe they're happy while debs who weren't making PC versions anyway are less so?

Maybe they expected more with Neo

I never considered this. Figured it wouldn't be too hard to make a Neo version.

Wonder if this is all worth the trouble. PS4 could have left things alone and had a successful generation with new SKUs and price cuts.

Are they losing anything out of this though? I mean, it's not like people are going to flock to Xbox as a result. It may just fade away or replace the vanilla PS4

Serious question...

Did the Witcher 3 Ultra suffer because they also made the game run on XB1/PS4? Does The Division on Ultra PC suffer? Is this something that's been happening already and I'm just unaware of it?
Yes, cross gen games for example are usually held back by weak consoles.

fuzzyset

This is odd. I thought it was the *devs* that wanted the extra power? Consumers seem to be having no issues buying current gen consoles. I wonder if they're upset with the particulars of the arrangement around the NEO.

demigod

It is. But, if you make a NEO version you're required to make another version for the standard PS4. Adds some complexity, and if the PS4.5's install base is big enough to warrant it, then most people will end up making 2 versions... Though it sounds like they'd rather just be targeting one.

Uhh, it's not optional. They are required to make a base mode and a Neo mode.

This goes completely against what Sony were trying to achieve originally with the PS4. All that talk about listening to developers when designing the system.

Power corrupts. Arrogant "Just Deal With It" Sony is back!

Seriously though, again I ask, what was Cerny's whole spiel about the PS4 in 2013 about if they knew they were shooting on the low-end in the first place?

Mesoian

*Devs complain about the consoles being underpowered*

*Devs complain about updated, more powerful consoles releasing*

Devs complain about having to make the same game for two different graphical skus for no extra money or marketshare.

Arrogant Sony is back.

They were never gone. They were just making some seriously good decisions for a hot minute.

And then VR.

And then PS4K.

::Shrug::

Top Bottom