• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty of Kinda Funny: source says "most developers are not happy with PS4.5"

scitek

Whats really surprising to me is they are saying you have to include this on PS4 releases as standard. Seems far too hard and a bit close minded honestly.

Sony execs just seeing the cash and wanting more of it imo without really thinking through how it will work at market.

It's just a more powerful PS4. All existing games will work for it, and some games will take advantage of the extra power for better framerates or higher resolutions, that's pretty much it. It's basically like the N64 expansion pack, but no games will ever require the PS4K to work.

While I don't see much of a problem with PS4K as I've expressed, I think the issue with an upgrade like this is that (at least initially), there's never a 'good' time to release it.

If dev kits are only just going out now, and developers have big games like BF5 etc. coming out at the tail end of this year, this does complicate things.

Sylas

I just hope they make the cert process cheaper. Imagine being an indie dev that's strapped for cash and having to pay for 2 patches to go through cert instead of just the 1. You have to patch both versions, and one version might need a patch that the other doesn't.

This seems kinda shortsighted unless Sony has an answer to their expensive and lengthy certification process.

Then why do devs make PC games? That has to be multitudes worse then... Am I wrong here?
You are wrong. There are a number of graphical options that are baked into the drivers/software for your GPU. It's why you can force graphical options even if the game doesn't include them. Plus, there isn't any standard for PC options. Some games just have a Low/Medium/High scaler and it just changes the resolution of textures.

I can only imagine how many delays we are going to get if this is officially announced at E3. Horizon will be next year, and basically everything else that was supposed to release this fall. What a shit move on their part.

Fisty

I was under the impression games wouldnt need to target Neo specs, only PS4 specs if they chose to... is this incorrect?

Really eye-opening that a change this iterative can be this divisive. At least they didnt go back to Cell, right devs?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
People reeeeeally need to stop equating this to phones. It's not the same thing. Smart phones are 100% completely different products that serve different facets of our lives. And videogame consoles will never, ever be as important to people as to be willing to do yearly upgrades the same way.

You're absolutely right which means you didn't read my post correctly or I did a bad job explaining why devs are always angry at having to do more work. :p

Plum

It's definitely going to be an issue for games releasing this fall and probably early next year as well. After some time though, devs will get a grasp on things and it'll be fine.

Devs will adapt eventually, sure. But they will always have to develop 2 versions of the game which, in an already high-budget industry, will just add more. This isn't like PC development where a lot of the optimization is done driver-side and higher graphical settings can be brute-forced; both versions will have to be planned for and tested in order to ensure they both run properly.

labaronx

I can only imagine how many delays we are going to get if this is officially announced at E3. Horizon will be next year, and basically everything else that was supposed to release this fall. What a shit move on their part.

While i agree horizon will be early 2017....

Youve based that on absolutely nothing

erawsd

Makes sense, there is really no benefit to them just more work. PS4.5 isnt likely to attract a new audience of players.

killroy87

You're absolutely right which means you didn't read my post correctly or I did a bad job explaining why devs are always angry at having to do more work. :p

I'm disagreeing with the positives you laid out, because I don't think they'll apply here the same way they do to the mobile market.

It's best to just assume anything regarding developing games is actually a lot harder than you think it is.

People reeeeeally need to stop equating this to phones. It's not the same thing. Smart phones are 100% completely different products that serve different facets of our lives. And videogame consoles will never, ever be as important to people as to be willing to do yearly upgrades the same way.

Good job the upgrades aren't yearly then (and never will be).

This doesn't make a sense. All they have to do is copy the game code to PS4K and press enter.

Man developers are lazy.

Many people will be got by this.

I was under the impression games wouldnt need to target Neo specs, only PS4 specs if they chose to... is this incorrect?

Really eye-opening that a change this iterative can be this divisive. At least they didnt go back to Cell, right devs?
Even if they don't want to target NEO specs, developers still have to make sure it runs on NEO hardware and pass "NEO mode" (if you want to call it that) certification.

im_shocked.gif

Then why do devs make PC games? That has to be multitudes worse then... Am I wrong here?
A good chunk of AAA games never make it on PC and some that do have issues (Arkham and QB come to mind)
I assume working with different specs is something most PS4 devs are not used to.

So all it is, is "one" source talking on behalf of "many", from a guy who has shown his pretty clear feelings against the console upgrade? not surprising.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Reason says that they can just keep working on Ps4 games and let BC do its thing. But PS4K owners might resent games that don't show marked improvements on their new hardware, though.

We even see complains here at GAF when PS4 games don't show clear advantages on resolution/frame rate over the XBOne, and the difference there isn't as big...

There is literally zero way in which it's bad for consumers (unless dev frustration ends up with bugs in games).

The theory is that it motivates Sony to sell PS4K consoles, and not standard PS4 consoles. So any first-party game with PS4K enhancements will always be viewed as compromised on PS4.

You also have the fear that third party developers (which are already putting out games on consoles that fall below standards for frame rate & load times), will just develop for PS4K first and rush the old hardware versions to barely fit minimum requirements. A practice that Sony would be financially incentivized to support (or at least ignore), as it would push PS4K sales.

Are the fears founded? Maybe not. People are going to have them anyways.

koutoru

You can give the neo the same profile as the base ps4 so they run at the same settings.
However you still have to go through the whole QA process for another machine, especially since sony said they won't accept games that run worse on neo than ps4.

Devs will adapt eventually, sure. But they will always have to develop 2 versions of the game which, in an already high-budget industry, will just add more. This isn't like PC development where a lot of the optimization is done driver-side and higher graphical settings can be brute-forced; both versions will have to be planned for and tested in order to ensure they both run properly.

If devs aren't happy simply because "it's more work", I get that and it'd be frustrating right now. But again, the industry will adapt. It's going to be roughest in the beginning but if Sony offers great dev tools and support, it'll only get easier as time goes on.

Mesoian

As i understand, NEO mode can be an afterthought, but it MUST exist. And I bet if there's no real difference between normal mode and NEO mode, Sony is going to be upset, because NEO mode is what they're trotting out in front of buyers in order to get them to pony up another 400 dollars next year.

It sounds like every PS4 game released after october will be REQUIRED to have a NEO mode. So yeah, not hard to see why developers would be pissed.

Have devkits even been shipped yet?

Yes.

Not hard to imagine some devs not liking extra work. Sony and Microsoft need to enforce good development practices and work with developers to make new hardware worthwhile out of the gate and to ensure games play well on the current Ps4/XB1. Having a rolling update of hardware without ever having to reset the install base to zero is good for developers, publishers, consumers, and console makers.

No more console launches with skittish publishers unwilling to commit to hardware that nobody owns leading to years of remakes and wheel spinning.

Audioboxer

So all it is, is "one" source talking on behalf of "many", from a guy who has shown his pretty clear feelings against the console upgrade? not surprising.

Yes, everyone was invited over to tea at Colins to share their feelings in a safe space. He promised he wouldn't go online and tattle on them.

In reality, sure, some of his contacts may not be happy, but cmon in reality Colin doesn't speak for "most developers" in that GAF doesn't either.

Let's just wait for the facts and see how it plays out.

edufish

Neo Member
Most devs will complain about any amount of extra work. Yawn.

Time is limited and publishers have expectations of timelines. If devs have to spend extra time working for a half-step console, they have less time to work on the content of the game. When resources are stretched thinner, the quality of games suffer. They have every reason to be upset.

By this point, I'm not even expecting significant performance increases on PS4K. It seems like Devs are not enthusiastic about its existence.

I'll still look at getting one for a 4K Bluray player though.

Edit: never mind, Sony doesn't have the brains to put a 4K Bluray drive in.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Adding options to scale resolution or filtering or AA sampling... Things like this are trivial.

I think what will annoy devs here is the extra QA and testing burden rather than coding demands. There's no one on PC forcing you to test with different setups... Here you'll kind of have to test on both setups fairly thoroughly I guess, or risk certification issues with Sony (e.g. If you're neo mode ended up with worse framerate than the base mode)

Alienous

It's the unattractive choice of having to put resources into make a game that utilizes the PS4.5, or the unappealing nuisance of having your PS4 game run on some higher-spec machine at some higher frame-rate and/or resolution, I imagine. Developers will have gotten into a groove with the PS4 and XBOne by this point.

If you develop for it you'll probably have a harder time with PS4/XBOne ports. If you don't, you'll have some version of the game that's slightly better looking or runs slightly better.

Top Bottom