• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colombia assassinates rebel leader, Chavez threatens war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Bezz said:
I like it how people hate on Chavez, but cant take a look at their own backyard.

This dude threatens, while others send troops throughout the world trying to play world police.

Wait bush is popular on here?

newsguy

Bezz said:
I like it how people hate on Chavez, but cant take a look at their own backyard.

Have you been on the political threads? We know exactly what's going on in our backyard. the difference is that come election time we can change that. Venezuela can't. That fucker isn't going to let himself get voted out.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
OmegaRed said:
Adolf Hitler got voted in by the people and he was one of the worse dictators the world has ever seen.

Actually, Hitler was not voted in as Chancellor, he has to do some manipulating to get that position.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Bezz said:

This dude threatens, while others send troops throughout the world trying to play world police.

bush has been criticized to all hell.. but just because we have an asshole as our president, doesnt excuse other assholes.

JDSN

Banned
Shit, they found computers in Reyes's bunker that links him to the president of Ecuador, according to Colombian press. ill update when I get more info.

Edit: Its not directly connected with the prez, but with his government, they have only started to analyze the data and when they are done "in a couple of weeks" they expect to find a lot of info of the connections of the FARC with other governments.

They also mentioned some talks between Ecuador and the Farc to solve the hostage situation and some information exchanging.

Also, the camp were they found Reyes wasnt just one of those portable huts, they had microwave ovens, PCs, guns and more stuff, I wonder why would they put such a permanent location on ecuatorian soil.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
JDSN said:
Shit, they found computers in Reyes's bunker that links him to the president of Ecuador, according to Colombian press. ill update when I got more info.

Yeah. You believe that biased and US subsidized source. Myself and the rest of the informed members of GAF shall wait for Chavez's thoughts on the subject, thank you very much.

newsguy

mre said:
Yeah. You believe that biased and US subsidized source. Myself and the rest of the informed members of GAF shall wait for Chavez's thoughts on the subject, thank you very much.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

datruth29

mre said:
:lol :lol :lol

neoanarch

:lol :lol
I was wondering why he massed troops on the border. For Columbia killing a rebel. I should really read the articles so they killed him in Ecuador? Well thats retarded and a great way to kill relations with your neighbor.

and lol again

ilbambino

JDSN said:
Shit, they found computers in Reyes's bunker that links him to the president of Ecuador, according to Colombian press. ill update when I got more info.

Yeah, this shit just got real. According to a document found on Raul Reyes there were several meetings between FARC-EP and Ecuador's Defense Minister. It looks like there was intelligence traded.

AmishNazi said:
Wait do they use it to pay Guerrillas or not? You know the reason you said the drug money was so bad.... You can't have it both ways now.

Hell my country is just as much at fault for this BS. We don't really want to stop drugs in this country or reform laws, because of the amount of money that prosecuting, fining, creating inmates that this war creates is staggering. Just like I'm sure Columbia doesn't mind all the money the USA funnels into Columbia to pretend that they really want to end the drug issues between the two countries.

Prosecuting and incarcerating people is a money-making venture now? :lol

I love how you totally dismiss market demand as a driver of drug sales while claiming to be above black-and-white thinking.

As if you haven't put your foot in your mouth enough in this thread. Carry on, Colombian dudes.

ToxicAdam

It would be very interesting to see how a Chavez-led invasion could change the political landscape of the American election. Or more pointedly, what would The Obama do?

Breaking news on CNN

Ecuador's president has ordered troops to the border with Colombia, following a similar move by Venezuela.

Where is the bail out pic when you need one?

Tamanon

Banned
Tommie Hu$tle said:
Breaking news on CNN

Ecuador's president has ordered troops to the border with Colombia, following a similar move by Venezuela.

Where is the bail out pic when you need one?

That's no good, hopefully it's all just posturing. Although this is really just something that was delayed by the Iraq war, otherwise the US would've gone into Venezuela a few years back after the failed coup.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
ToxicAdam said:
It would be very interesting to see how a Chavez-led invasion could change the political landscape of the American election. Or more pointedly, what would The Obama do?

It wouldn't be interesting at all. Any event that brings the disscussion to the role of the commander and chief tremendously benefits McCain.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Here's a clue to Ecuador and Chavezland, don't fucking support and harbor terrorists that kidnap and kill neighboring countries' citizens and your shit won't get bombed.

ToxicAdam

Cooter said:
It wouldn't be interesting at all. Any event that brings the disscussion to the role of the commander and chief tremendously benefits McCain.

I don't necessarily buy that. The American public has severe "war fatigue". Any committment to further actions in another part of the world could be frowned upon.

Karakand

ToxicAdam said:
I don't necessarily buy that. The American public has severe "war fatigue". Any committment to further actions in another part of the world could be frowned upon.
Yeah but Senor Cuidado is a commie. No matter how drained we are as a nation I like to think we would still have something left in the tank to kick warmongering commie ASS.

Tamanon

Banned
newsguy said:
The more this escalates the more I want to see this specific subject brought up in the next debate.

The next debate will be the general election debate. It'll probably be a question at least.

Dies Iræ

I'm going to make only one post in this thread, in an attempt to shed some light on Chavez's methodology and the history behind his administration. There is some serious misconceptions in this thread, complete fabrications, and so forth. I'm not a supporter of Chavez, but I do believe in recognizing the legitimacy of democratically elected governments whether they do or do not neatly fit into 'our' version of things.

Chavez attempted a military coup d'etat in 1992 against a US puppet regime that had accepted a massive IMF loan plunging millions of Venezuelans into absolute poverty. He came to power with the highest approval rating of any currently elected president on Earth. In 2002 the Bush administrated successfully backed a military coup d'etat against his legitimate government. One day later, amid the protestations of millions in Caracas, Hugo Chavez was returned to office. This overthrow was directly planned and executed with paramilitary troops from Columbia.

In 2004 Chavez was re-elected by the Venezuelan people. His administration has also survived several national referendums, forced by pressure from right-wing media and business (who are all highly anti-Chavez). The concentration of executive power that Chavez has allowed is enshrined within the Venezuelan constitution and has been envoked by 6 previous administrations. The constitution itself was ratified by the Venezuelan people in a national referendum (under the Chavez government).

Again, I think that anyone here who challenges the legitimacy of Chavez's administration is simply uneducated on the subject. Furthermore, I think suggesting that his administration has done no good is far from the truth - there are countless reports of improved living standards, improved literacy, health care, etc. in Venezuela. This isnt to say that things are peachy, but the country was an absolute mess before he came to power. Finally, I think it's important to recognize that Chavez was elected democratically, himself a simpleton, a farmer boy, TWICE. This is a kind of democracy that we ourselves do not even know.

I wont speak authoritatively on the Colombia/Venezuela clashes right now, as I don't know enough. But I do believe that the 2004 attempted coup d'etat gives this some precedent.

Boogie

Dies Iræ said:
I'm going to make only one post in this thread, in an attempt to shed some light on Chavez's methodology and the history behind his administration. There is some serious misconceptions in this thread, complete fabrications, and so forth. I'm not a supporter of Chavez, but I do believe in recognizing the legitimacy of democratically elected governments whether they do or do not neatly fit into 'our' version of things.

Chavez attempted a military coup d'etat in 1992 against a US puppet regime that had accepted a massive IMF loan plunging millions of Venezuelans into absolute poverty. He came to power with the highest approval rating of any currently elected president on Earth. In 2002 the Bush administrated successfully backed a military coup d'etat against his legitimate government. One day later, amid the protestations of millions in Caracas, Hugo Chavez was returned to office. This overthrow was directly planned and executed with paramilitary troops from Columbia.

In 2004 Chavez was re-elected by the Venezuelan people. His administration has also survived several national referendums, forced by pressure from right-wing media and business (who are all highly anti-Chavez). The concentration of executive power that Chavez has allowed is enshrined within the Venezuelan constitution and has been envoked by 6 previous administrations. The constitution itself was ratified by the Venezuelan people in a national referendum (under the Chavez government).

Again, I think that anyone here who challenges the legitimacy of Chavez's administration is simply uneducated on the subject. Furthermore, I think suggesting that his administration has done no good is far from the truth - there are countless reports of improved living standards, improved literacy, health care, etc. in Venezuela. This isnt to say that things are peachy, but the country was an absolute mess before he came to power. Finally, I think it's important to recognize that Chavez was elected democratically, himself a simpleton, a farmer boy, TWICE. This is a kind of democracy that we ourselves do not even know.

I wont speak authoritatively on the Colombia/Venezuela clashes right now, as I don't know enough. But I do believe that the 2004 attempted coup d'etat gives this some precedent.

I like how this post said absolutely nothing on the subject of this thread.

Anyway, this could be somewhat unprecedented, as South American history is rife with internal conflict, but not quite as much in the way of international wars.

I also like the "This is a kind of democracy that we ourselves do not even know" line since I believe you're a Canadian, and don't even have the 2000 Bush/Gore fiasco to gripe about.

neoanarch

Boogie said:
I like how this post said absolutely nothing on the subject of this thread.

Anyway, this could be somewhat unprecedented, as South American history is rife with internal conflict, but not quite as much in the way of international wars.

I also like the "This is a kind of democracy that we ourselves do not even know" line since I believe you're a Canadian, and don't even have the 2000 Bush/Gore fiasco to gripe about.

I Like how you ignored the entire first paragraph of his post.

Banned
Dies Iræ said:
every single President/presidential candidate has come from a well off upper class white family. I mean it's not like one was born in a log cabin, or came from a single mother home.

AmishNazi

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Prosecuting and incarcerating people is a money-making venture now? :lol

Billions of dollars a year, and that's just for incarcerating people. That doesn't include court cost, fines and driving privileges reinstatement.

AdmiralViscen said:
I love how you totally dismiss market demand as a driver of drug sales while claiming to be above black-and-white thinking.

As if you haven't put your foot in your mouth enough in this thread. Carry on, Colombian dudes.

Please so me where I dismiss the market. I was just addressing the governments part in it. Whatever though nice try at piling on in a argument to win pwnage points or whatever the fuck made you decide to post this.

JDSN said:
Terrorism is cutting people's heads and playing soccer with them on a town square, dont speak about whites and blacks when you havent seen the colors for yourself like some of us have, idiot.

Pictures of tortured Iraqis beg to differ. Plus meddling in other people's business by saying if we don't this or this will happen is fear mongering something I consider intellectual terrorism.

Dies Iræ

Well, it looks like I will be replying to this thread again.

There are many posts in this thread that do not directly have anything to do with the current conflict between Colombia and Venezuela. They simply moan about Chavez with little to no factual basis. My response was mostly targeting these posts - which I think its entirely fair. You may disagree, but to this point, I havent seen you begrudging anyone but myself of not commenting on the topic at hand.

Which I did, in my post, as a matter of fact. I very clearly stated that I believe this current conflict could have something to do with the very real precedent for overthrow of the Chavez regime by paramilitary forces within Colombia.

Finally, regarding the question of democracy. I think we can all agree that the fact that Chavez is a farm boy, democratically elected by internationally sanctioned elections twice over with a considerable majority from the population is much, much more democratic than having a Yale graduate, son of a former President, member of some elite secret society elected by a very slim public majority, with absolutely abysmal approval ratings. The Canadian case cannot be directly applied as parliamentary states do not directly elect their Prime Minister, which you may not know (judging by your former post).

every single President/presidential candidate has come from a well off upper class white family. I mean it's not like one was born in a log cabin, or came from a single mother home.

According to Wikipedia, Chavez was born in a mud hut. During his early youth he lived in 'impoverished conditions.'

ronito

It's much more than a "Chavez" thing. Venezuela and Columbia have never gotten along, having been at the border several times I can attest it's very tense even at times of peace. There's plenty of blame on both sides even before the Chavez took power. So this is just the fruition of letting it go bad. I'm not surprised that it happened. Already things are tense and then a flailing leader and Colombia closing down on FARC. Really Chavez is a little bit of the whole situation and it might've happened in the same situation with a different leader.

AmishNazi

Banned
The fact that he was elected democratically by internationally sanctioned elections. The fact that despite this fact he's painted as a dictator, and will never give up his post EVEN though he hasn't served the remainder of his final term yet. It's BS propaganda saber rattling, and the sad fact is people buy it wholesale.

Oh and Putin / Russia is much more of a dictator / fascist state than Chavez could ever hope to be.

Boogie

Dies Iræ said:
Finally, regarding the question of democracy. I think we can all agree that the fact that Chavez is a farm boy, democratically elected by internationally sanctioned elections twice over with a considerable majority from the population is much, much more democratic than having a Yale graduate, son of a former President, member of some elite secret society elected by a very slim public majority, with absolutely abysmal approval ratings. The Canadian case cannot be directly applied as parliamentary states do not directly elect their Prime Minister, which you may not know (judging by your former post).

Thank you for educating me on the Canadian parliamentary system. :lol

You said "we ourselves", so if the Canadian case cannot be applied, you only have yourself to blame for making such a silly comment/comparison.

Double :lol at the "elite secret society" comment as well.

Francois the Great said:
what the fuck does chavez once being a poor farm boy have to do with anything?

'cuz he's like a man of teh people or something. Apparently farming legitimizes one's claim to democracy.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
The Chavez brigade has gotten weaker man. They now seem to start off by saying some variant of "I'm no Chavez supporter, but. . ." At least fortified_concept had the balls to admit it.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Dies Iræ said:
Well, it looks like I will be replying to this thread again.

There are many posts in this thread that do not directly have anything to do with the current conflict between Colombia and Venezuela. They simply moan about Chavez with little to no factual basis. My response was mostly targeting these posts - which I think its entirely fair. You may disagree, but to this point, I havent seen you begrudging anyone but myself of not commenting on the topic at hand.

Which I did, in my post, as a matter of fact. I very clearly stated that I believe this current conflict could have something to do with the very real precedent for overthrow of the Chavez regime by paramilitary forces within Colombia.

According to Wikipedia, Chavez was born in a mud hut. During his early youth he lived in 'impoverished conditions.'

and was chavez a poor farm guy while campaigning for presidency? i really dont see how his poor past has anything to do with democracy.

ToxicAdam

Karakand said:
Yeah but Senor Cuidado is a commie. No matter how drained we are as a nation I like to think we would still have something left in the tank to kick warmongering commie ASS.

I know you are being partially facetious, but you are right that there is a large contigent of America that will seek to quell ANY socialist aggression. Fortunately, most are the 30 percenters that stuck with Bush the past few years.

I was someone who initially supported the Iraq war, but Chavez can control the entire southern tip of S America for all I care. As long as he isn't practicing genocide on his people, he can do whatever he wants down there. No concern of ours.

America needs to focus on protecting it's assets in Iraq (and stabilizing the government), improve the relationship with Iran (at least to where it is neutral) and stay out of conflict everywhere else in the world for the next decade.

Dies Iræ

Boogie said:
Thank you for educating me on the Canadian parliamentary system. :lol

You said "we ourselves", so if the Canadian case cannot be applied, you only have yourself to blame for making such a silly comment/comparison.

Double :lol at the "elite secret society" comment as well.

'cuz he's like a man of teh people or something. Apparently farming legitimizes one's claim to democracy.

Firstly, I see little merit to making arguments of semantics rather than substance. But, for the sake of humor, I will rebut. I was speaking of "we ourselves" in the case of Americans because I assume, as I think most people here do, that the majority of the users are American. I never made a comparison of the Canadian case. In fact, I stated that no proper comparison could be made.

The "elite secret society" comment is well grounded. I thought it was commonly known that Bush is a member of the Skull and Bones secret society. He himself has been quoted as saying the dealings of that society were 'too secret to speak of.' Check out its other members, John Kerry being a recent example.

I never made a direct connection between an acting state's claim to democracy and the fact that someone was a farmer. You're simply being obtuse. I made the argument that Chavez comes from very humble roots, the same as the people who elected him. This is rarely, if ever, the case in Canada and the States. Our leaders come from elite segments of society. This is the 'democratic difference.' It has nothing to do with an acting government's claim to democracy.

Justin Bailey said:
The Chavez brigade has gotten weaker man. They now seem to start off by saying some variant of "I'm no Chavez supporter, but. . ." At least fortified_concept had the balls to admit it.

I've gone on record in previous posts over the months as someone who does not necessarily support the Chavez regime. Most of my time regarding his administration has been spent debunking the absolute torrent of disinformation surrounding it in Western circles. I could take some time to dig up a quote to substantiate this claim, but I see no reason to put any more effort into responding to your baseless accusation than you put into making it.

thefit

Getting more interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/03/02/chavez.colombia/index.html

Ecuador pulls diplomat from Bogota

(CNN) -- Ecuador's President Rafael Correa withdrew his government's ambassador in Bogota, Colombia, and ordered troops to the country's border following a Colombian raid against leftist rebels inside Ecuador.

In a televised address, Correa called a raid by Colombian national police and air force one day earlier a "massacre" that killed civilians.

Here's what the BBC has which brings up something I haven't read in the US or Latin American News.

Ecuador leader 'linked to rebels'

Ecuador's President Rafael Correa
Rafael Correa ordered troops to the northern border
Colombia has said documents found in a cross-border raid suggest links between left-wing Farc rebels and Ecuador's President Rafael Correa.

Colombian troops had entered Ecuador in a raid that killed a Farc leader, Raul Reyes, and 16 other rebels.

Ecuador has expelled Colombia's ambassador following the attack and is sending troops to the border.

Earlier Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said he was sending thousands of troops and tanks to its border.

A spokesman for Colombian President Alvaro Uribe told reporters the documents provided information that "Correa has a relationship and commitments with Farc".

Police commander Gen Oscar Naranjo said one document showed Reyes had met Ecuador's minister of internal security and that they discussed Mr Correa's "interest in making official relations with the Farc".

Earlier, Colombian Foreign Minister Fernando Araujo went on television to express regret that it had to enter Ecuador.

This story gets more interesting by the minute.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Dies Iræ said:
I never made a direct connection between an acting state's claim to democracy and the fact that someone was a farmer. You're simply being obtuse. I made the argument that Chavez comes from very humble roots, the same as the people who elected him. This is rarely, if ever, the case in Canada and the States. Our leaders come from elite segments of society. This is the 'democratic difference.'

No, I don't think this is true. Chretien was hardly a member of any elite segment of society, and he went on to become one of the longest serving Prime Ministers in recent history.

AmishNazi said:
Wait do they use it to pay Guerrillas or not? You know the reason you said the drug money was so bad.... You can't have it both ways now.

Hell my country is just as much at fault for this BS. We don't really want to stop drugs in this country or reform laws, because of the amount of money that prosecuting, fining, creating inmates that this war creates is staggering. Just like I'm sure Columbia doesn't mind all the money the USA funnels into Columbia to pretend that they really want to end the drug issues between the two countries.
Conspiracy theories, FUCK YEAH!! Preach on brotha!

There's a reason most people don't think like you. It's called sanity and they possess it.

AmishNazi

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
Conspiracy theories, FUCK YEAH!! Preach on brotha!

There's a reason most people don't think like you. It's called sanity and they possess it.

Wait so saying that America isn't eager to reform drug laws mainly because of the money they make from prosecuting and jailing people is a conspiracy theory now? :lol :lol

Is anything against the government considered a conspiracy theory now... REALLY?

NextGenitals said:
Oh, surprise, it's the United States' fault :lol

God I fucking hate that worthless piece of shit Chavez. I would kill him in cold blood and not lose a second's sleep over it.
Now that is democracy!

AmishNazi

Banned
{Mike} said:
Waiting for ban bets on whoever will win the war

Better ban bet is whether Chavez will step down at the end of his final term according to the constitution he helped pass.

Unlike in past votes here, this time the government did not invite observers from the Organization of American States or the European Union, opening itself to potential claims of fraud.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/03/w...r=2&ex=1354338000&en=e738c35070df818c&ei=5088

A true dictator would of NEVER let that be defeated.

AmishNazi said:
Wait so saying that America isn't eager to reform drug laws mainly because of the money they make from prosecuting and jailing people is a conspiracy theory now? :lol :lol

Is anything against the government considered a conspiracy theory now... REALLY?
I dunno. Lines of thought like the one you have just rub the wrong way. There's a myriad of reasons why attitudes towards drugs and laws set up for them are the way they are in this country.

Basically to come to your conclusion about the US government's attitude and strategy towards drugs you need to start with the premise that the people who run the US goverment are evil as fuck from top to bottom, administration in, administration out, and work your way down from there. It is your opinion granted, but to suggest that most people don't see this because they are ignorant/brainwashed by biased press is beyond condenscending and haughty. Most people don't agree with your views on the drug situation because they aren't starting from the above premise. It's really as easy to explain as that.

AmishNazi

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
I dunno. Lines of thought like the one you have just rub the wrong way. There's a myriad of reasons why attitudes towards drugs and laws set up accordingly are the way they are in this country. Basically you need to start with the premise that the people who run the US goverment are evil as fuck from top to bottom, administration in, administration out, to come to your conclusion and work your way down from there. It is your opinion granted, but to suggest that most people don't see this because they are ignorant/brainwashed by biased press is beyond condenscending and haughty. Most people don't agree with your views on the drug situation because they aren't starting from the above premise. It's really as easy to explain as that.

I'm not saying they're evil. I'm just saying they're human. I don't start with this thought that governments are infallible or always have my best interest in mine when it comes to decisions. Thing is that drugs make the government a lot of money when it comes to enforcing the laws for them. It also puts a lot of money in the economy, has created a lot of jobs and a whole industry that exists to warehouse people. This is a very hard thing to reform.

More lenient on drug crimes and you lose fines, court costs, drivers license reinstatement fess. Local economies suffer because less guards are needed. Less probation and parole officers are needed. It really is a multi billion dollar a year industry and puts a lot of money into the economy and makes it a very hard pill for politicians to push.

Karakand

ToxicAdam said:
I know you are being partially facetious, but you are right that there is a large contigent of America that will seek to quell ANY socialist aggression. Fortunately, most are the 30 percenters that stuck with Bush the past few years.

I was someone who initially supported the Iraq war, but Chavez can control the entire southern tip of S America for all I care. As long as he isn't practicing genocide on his people, he can do whatever he wants down there. No concern of ours.

America needs to focus on protecting it's assets in Iraq (and stabilizing the government), improve the relationship with Iran (at least to where it is neutral) and stay out of conflict everywhere else in the world for the next decade.
Ugh if Bush fucked this up for me with his fucking 8 years of idiocy / lunacy I SWEAR TO GOD I will make sure I malign his name until the day I die.

I might (MIGHT) even build a museum to accomplish this goal (assuming I become independently wealthy at some point in my wretched existence).

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Colombia assassinates rebel leader...

Chavez: "WELP, time to wave my dick around again, arraaglallaarralalallarraaaaa bolivar!!!"

Crushed

Fry Daddy
2yu0z9u.jpg

hail the revolution, down with the fascist pig-dogs

i can't download my music, those hitlers

AmishNazi said:
I'm not saying they're evil. I'm just saying they're human. I don't start with this thought that governments are infallible or always have my best interest in mine when it comes to decisions. Thing is that drugs make the government a lot of money when it comes to enforcing the laws for them. It also puts a lot of money in the economy, has created a lot of jobs and a whole industry that exists to warehouse people. This is a very hard thing to reform.

More lenient on drug crimes and you lose fines, court costs, drivers license reinstatement fess. Local economies suffer because less guards are needed. Less probation and parole officers are needed. It really is a multi billion dollar a year industry and puts a lot of money into the economy and makes it a very hard pill for politicians to push.

Your whole argument falls apart in the face of the fact that they would earn more money through legalization and subsequent taxation.

The reason its still illegal isn't some dastardly lobby, its simply that the majority of Americans want drugs to be illegal. That this benefits the prison system is tangential, not causal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom