• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
People who bad mouth the 90 were 18 or older when the 90s started and got all bent out of shape that the era of super heroes walking around in colored diapers with shit eating grins was over to make way for a more sophisticated era

The 90s were more sophisticated? The same era that gave us maximum carnage?

Parch

Now I'd argue that 80s X-Men was lot more thoughtful and sophisticated than the 90s stuff which seemed to be full of badly drawn giant muscle guys from future shooting big guns. The real sophisticated stuff of non-underground was somewhere else, like in Hellblazer and Sandman.
Yeah, that sums it up, and not just X-Men. Pretty much all superhero. Image in the 90's was especially WTF. Backing away from the superhero stuff was the smart move in the 90's.

Although I do think there's quite a bit of difference between the early 90's and the late 90's. Comics did evolve quite a bit during that decade, especially with the different printing techniques. Picking on the 90's should be restricted to the wacky early years.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The more sophisticated stuff started in the 80s. I love/grew up on the 90s work, but I'm not going to pretend a lot of it wasn't primarily a cash grab for the speculative market.

you're absolutely correct... anticitizen one has no idea what he's talking about

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Are there any good apps/sites for keeping track of comics and showing upcoming release dates and so on? I want to be able to select the comics I'll be getting and see when the next issue is due out.

Also probably why Colossus, Wolverine, Kitty, and Nightcrawler are my favorite X-Men still.

Claremont X-Men is best X-men.

oh hell yes. Loved every weekend my mom gave me a dollar and I rode my bike to 7-11 to pick one out. I think I'd stay in there forever picking one out, unless there was a new X-men.

first comic:
200px-Star_Wars_X-wing_Rogue_Squadron_01.jpg

First super hero comic:
48781eb389dd2_71565n.jpg

Guys, are you ready for the February OT? I'm still putting the finishing touches on the "Bullhorn" segment but the rest of it is a go if you're ready to switch over.

If not, I can wait.

MisterHero

My first comic book things were The Death of Superman and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Junior Novels

Remember the Death of Superman?

4bdd926cecf24_58616nbfu6q.jpg

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Guys what is WTF DC? Saw some stories in my feed about a Stormwatch cover but didn't investigate further.

Guys what is WTF DC? Saw some stories in my feed about a Stormwatch cover but didn't investigate further.
A month of gatefold covers that's coming up; when you fold them out, the hidden half of the gatefold is supposed to make you go "what the f*ck?" by presenting something shocking or unexpected. For example, the Stormwatch cover by Starlin apparently features the current New52 cast being replaced by versions that may or may not include their original Wildstorm incarnations.

xtYpPUQ.jpg

I distinctly remember getting the last issue of this story arc from my parents when I was 6 or 7 years old and sick. I simultaneously liked but was kinda intimidated by its dark and brooding artwork :D

But the first comic that I bought out of my own free will and with my own money was this:

3EAY5tq.jpg

Bought it for the cool cover and because of dat Batman. Interestingly enough, I read it for Batman but from that issue, but I became intrigued with Spider-Man and Marvel in general and started reading Marvel comics from that point on.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
A month of gatefold covers that's coming up; when you fold them out, the hidden half of the gatefold is supposed to make you go "what the f*ck?" by presenting something shocking or unexpected. For example, the Stormwatch cover by Starlin apparently features the current New52 cast being replaced by versions that may or may not include their original Wildstorm incarnations.

Thank you for the explanation. I don't know why I thought it would be something worthwhile instead of a new gimmick to try and kickstart sales again.

Mr. Sam

The first comic I read, as far as I can remember, was a Judge Dredd/Spider-Man crossover. Unfortunately, I can't find any evidence that it ever existed.

8bit

Knows the Score
The first comic I read, as far as I can remember, was a Judge Dredd/Spider-Man crossover. Unfortunately, I can't find any evidence that it ever existed.

Pretty sure there wasn't an official one, there may have been a knock-off of Spider-Man in a Dredd story in 2000AD but I doubt you're referring to that.

NX7S

LiQuid!

Just finished Longbow Hunters. Was pretty amazing.

Need a tip on some Wonder Woman comics to read. Aside from New 52 I've only read Hiketeia. Rucka did a run around that time I think? I assume that's worth reading. Any other suggestions?

That doesn't make me say "WTF" at all. It makes me say "oh, look. DC is trying another new gimmick."

Not to be pessimistic or anything.

Just finished Longbow Hunters. Was pretty amazing.

Need a tip on some Wonder Woman comics to read. Aside from New 52 I've only read Hiketeia. Rucka did a run around that time I think? I assume that's worth reading. Any other suggestions?
Rucka's WW is the best run with the character. Buy the whole run. Highly recommended.

That doesn't make me say "WTF" at all. It makes me say "oh, look. DC is trying another new gimmick."

Not to be pessimistic or anything.

Curious, do you say that about every gimmick every company does? Because comics are built on gimmicks. Name your favorite titles and I promise you it has / has had gimmicks.

LiQuid!

Curious, do you say that about every gimmick every company does? Because comics are built on gimmicks. Name your favorite titles and I promise you it has / has had gimmicks.

There's a difference between tangible gimmicks like actual story events, crossovers, etc that actually mean something to me as a reader. Starting an initiative, calling it "WTF DC" and having it just be a new cover gimmick means nothing to me.

tim1138

Watching the X-Men animated series version of the Dark Phoenix Saga. What a cop out, in the cartoon she didn't kill the Broccoli people, the system was uninhabited. Storm calling out her attacks like she's in Street Fighter is hilarious, "Snow and ice freeze my enemies! Wind blow away the thorns in our path!"
For a kids cartoon it's a pretty good adaptation of the story though.

Watching the X-Men animated series version of the Dark Phoenix Saga. What a cop out, in the cartoon she didn't kill the Broccoli people, the system was uninhabited. Storm calling out her attacks like she's in Street Fighter is hilarious, "Snow and ice freeze my enemies! Wind blow away the thorns in our path!"

There was a line in a recent X-Men issue where Cyclops tells Storm to do something and she says "Done." and someone asks "Thats it? Done?" And Storm tells them "I've been accused of being haughty in the past." And it made me think of Storm's little verbal flourishes in the cartoon.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Confession: I secretly really dig this avatar even though the expression combined with the superior word makes me look like such a dick when I'm arguing with people on here.

LiQuid!

XMTAS will always be the best for giving us the Wolverine quote: "Hey Tin Woodsman! I'm sending you back to Oz! In pieces!"

I laugh every time.

Edit: I found it, so you don't have to: http://youtu.be/ulGn4VuTdvE?t=7m25s

tim1138

There was a line in a recent X-Men issue where Cyclops tells Storm to do something and she says "Done." and someone asks "Thats it? Done?" And Storm tells them "I've been accused of being haughty in the past." And it made me think of Storm's little verbal flourishes in the cartoon.

Hahaha, awesome.

I do miss Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Kitty though. Gambit and annoying accent Rogue are no substitute.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
as poorly as the show aged, it was a great long form story telling for a 6 year old.

and that music... oh, that music.

Onemic

as poorly as the show aged, it was a great long form story telling for a 6 year old.

I actually tried watching it a few months back.....It was a struggle finishing one episode.

The only superhero cartoons that have aged extremely well are Batman: The Animated Series, Spawn, and Justice League.

kswiston

Confession: I secretly really dig this avatar even though the expression combined with the superior word makes me look like such a dick when I'm arguing with people on here.

Hahaha. I could definitely see that for non-comics GAF.

Alright January OT. Rest in Piece. New thread time.

LiQuid!

I actually tried watching it a few months back.....It was a struggle finishing one episode.

The only superhero cartoons that have aged extremely well are Batman: The Animated Series, Spawn, and Justice League.

You guys are mad. I rewatched the whole series a year or so ago and I thought it was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom