• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Never mind, I went to look for a better drawn version from Ramos and the man just can't draw Wolverine. It's always the neck too.

Mr. Sam

I don't like Frank Quitely and I don't like Grant Morrison. Reading the first omnibus of New X-Men left me with a headache. There. Now you know.

Mr. Sam

Maybe it's because I read it in one setting but I just found it really convoluted and confusing. It bounced from massive revelation to massive revelation without a breath - most of which involved evil siblings and space ships and Chinese prisons and psychic dreamscapes and... I just don't know - and it just left me exasperated in the end. Perhaps it would have read better with a month's break rather than back-to-back. Plus, Quitely's art has always been too... wrinkly for my tastes.

Viewt

But the 90s X-Men gave us so much!

Psylock-Bikini-X-Men.jpg

I'm reading through Grant Morrison's New X-Men again and man, he really didn't want Scott to be with Jean. Their relationship just seems so done.

*snip*

I'm reading through Grant Morrison's New X-Men again and man, he really didn't want Scott to be with Jean. Their relationship just seems so done.
Morrison agreed with Claremont after a fashion, that the Scott/Jean romanced had peaked with the Dark Phoenix Saga, and believed that everything after between them was just going through the motions and failing to recapture that magic moment. Which was great, and probably true, except he kills Jean for the same reasons, instead of freeing her like he did with Scott.

EdmondD

Batman Inc. was awesome. Classic Grant Morrison insanity. Seems like shit gets really real the next issue. I love Death in the Family but in my opinion Batman Inc. is the best Bat book.

Hawkeye was Hawkeye. Which mean it was great as usual. I really dug the art this issue.

JJD

Psylock-Bikini-X-Men.jpg

What the fuck Pikachu is doing on Betsy swimsuit???

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
In my 12 year old mind, 90s X-Men is the best X-Men that has ever and will ever exist. Which is why I will never read any of them. Ever again.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
dat panther

90's X-Men was the last time the comic was fun.

bro

isn't x-men #1 the most purchased issue of all time? I thought the 90's were supposed to be one of the best times for comic books in general because of its huge resurgence.

are the best selling albums the best written ones?

we are in the middle of a renaissance right now, there's no need to delve into the mediocre 90s stuff.

isn't x-men #1 the most purchased issue of all time? I thought the 90's were supposed to be one of the best times for comic books in general because of its huge resurgence.

oh onemic

you have a lot to learn, my friend

how's that Uncanny X-Force treating ya

James Asmus talks 'Gambit' with Newsarama

Nrama: Though there have been a couple different artists on the book, the bulk of the issues have been illustrated by the original series artist, Clay Mann. How important is having that type of consistency, which obviously can be rare on superhero books?

Asmus: Yeah, right now he's slated to do eight of the first 12. His art was so instrumental to my own understanding of the book we were doing. I feel like the qualities in his work have a sort of grounded realism in a strange way, as well as a sort of tight, sexy style. That influenced how I plot. A room full of supervillains aside, I try to lean it more towards feeling like the real world, with some heightened elements.

I've certainly tried to lean on the sexiness, too, particularly when [Mann]'s drawing — I know he makes an evocative eye candy of Gambit. And honestly of Joelle, too, but I feel like there's enough fan service over female characters that I try not to script those moments as explicitly. But for Gambit? There's a lot of ways to get that guy shirtless, I'll just say that.

Nrama: Hey, that's a big draw.

Asmus: In a serious way, I will say that I've had more female readers reach out to me over this book than anything else I've done. Even more so than Generation Hope, which is a largely female cast. This book really has some very vocal female readers, in a way that proves to me that this is a real audience for comics, and they're being underserved.

Nrama: Yeah, X-Men in general, and Gambit specifically, have always had a lot of strong female support. On the other hand, I think most of the people in the "hates Gambit club" are dudes.

Asmus: I think they feel threatened! They're made to feel intimidated and self-conscious by just how cool and sexy Gambit is.

Nrama: Well, it's good that the female audience has found the book and is enjoying it.

Asmus: Dudes like it too! I don't want to scare any dudes reading this interview off from reading the book. There's still a bunch of football and beer-chugging and stuff like that. [Laughs.]
Hey, it's all about finding an audience.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
X-Cutioner's Song
61P2%2BD8HhAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I know your 12 year old brain is screaming "Buyy thiss shittttt!!!!" It happens to everyone.

Oh, I still got all the issues I read from that bro. That was the first big event I was into comics for. I'm deathly afraid of re-reading it tho.

wwm0nkey

Im trying to get back into comics and I just read the first 3 issues of Avengers Arena are there any new comics that you guys would recommend? I hear Hawkeye is amazing right now.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Im trying to get back into comics and I just read the first 3 issues of Avengers Arena are there any new comics that you guys would recommend? I hear Hawkeye is amazing right now.

Hawkeye is the best comic being written right now.

Also read Thor: God of Thunder & Saga.

I would not suggest Superior Spiderman, though... too mired in continuity, whereas Hawkeye, Thor and Saga are perfect for newcomers.

Troll

Banned
Oh, I still got all the issues I read from that bro. That was the first big event I was into comics for. I'm deathly afraid of re-reading it tho.

Don't. Between that and Maximum Carnage I can't think of anything geared more towards the kid comic book reader in all of us.

I remember my first comic was a chrome covered issue from Age of Apocalypse that I found in a gutter. Colossus with his stupid bandana was so badass to my young self. In hindsight, I might have found the only good 90s comic that day.

kswiston

My first comic was G.I. Joe #2, wait, how old are you people?

Which volume?

I started out my comics hobby as an X-Men fan as well.

The first comic I bought for myself was an issue of X-Men during Operation Zero Tolerance. I started comics pretty late though. I think I was 15.

After that I went back and collected most of the X-Men stuff from the late 80s and 90s. I continued to read a lot of crappy late 90s X-Men before giving up on the franchise (and comics) in 2000 shortly after Claremont took over Uncanny and X-Men for the second time. I came back to comics when Morrison started his run. I left the X-men (but not comics) again shortly after that when the books went to shit (other than Astonishing which I read). Messiah Complex drew me back into X-books again 5 years ago, and I have been more choosy since then.

LiQuid!

I don't like boring geek humor. Hawkeye is the Daria of comic books. Loved while it is around but in the long run only dudes like Bridie will remember it.

I promised myself I was going to stop getting indignant over peoples' dumb opinions, but for the life of me I can't even figure out what this means...

Not liking the title I came up with for the February OT (which should be up tomorrow afternoon, btw), anyone care to try their hand? Something to do with the month that's comics related preferably.

LiQuid!

My first comic was G.I. Joe #2, wait, how old are you people?

Born in 81, started really reading comics in '91-'92 when my parents started trusting me and a friend to ride the bus down the block to the comic shop. Up until then it was just the occasional Spider-Man off the spinner rack at the corner store that was in walking distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom