• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Jumped back int the X-Statix omnibus. To be honest, it has lost a bit of impetus after the re-naming to X-Statix. Still decent fun though but doesn't feel as compelling anymore.

Also, why is Xavier walking around?

Jumped back int the X-Statix omnibus. To be honest, it has lost a bit of impetus after the re-naming to X-Statix. Still decent fun though but doesn't feel as compelling anymore.

It's complicated; there was a period where Xavier could walk in the early 2000s.

giphy.gif
It's tragic. His art on the first GitS book is so good.

Messi

I am not saying I want the current Harley series to end. I like it for what it is. But I would really like to see others get a crack at it. It partly why im excited for White Knight and the hopes that Sejic gets to do his Harleen book. I like the Harley in Suicide Squad.

Sometimes I wish Jimmy and Amandas Harley wasn't in this bubble where she has her own world and it doesn't intersect with the rest of the DCU. She has her own cast of characters unlike other books that use established characters.

I love Harley. I am not attached to any particular Harley.

I am not saying I want the current Harley series to end. I like it for what it is. But I would really like to see others get a crack at it. It partly why im excited for White Knight and the hopes that Sejic gets to do his Harleen book. I like the Harley in Suicide Squad.

Sometimes I wish Jimmy and Amandas Harley wasn't in this bubble where she has her own world and it doesn't intersect with the rest of the DCU. She has her own cast of characters unlike other books that use established characters.

It was satisfying to see Harley finally beating the shit out of her former abusive boyfriend.

VanWinkle

I don't think it's a bad book. But I honestly am just not into anti-hero Harley. I too would like to see Palmiotti/Conner go onto something else and have somebody else try it out. I think a creative team can be on a book for too long (see Dan Slott, who is also a good writer).

Messi

I don't think it's a bad book. But I honestly am just not into anti-hero Harley. I too would like to see Palmiotti/Conner go onto something else and have somebody else try it out. I think a creative team can be on a book for too long (see Dan Slott, who is also a good writer).

Yeah, See Slott on ASM vs Silver Surfer.

Messi

Some interesting amazon finds

Criminal Deluxe Edition Volume 1
This oversized deluxe hardback edition features CRIMINAL books 1 thru 3 -- COWARD, LAWLESS, and THE DEAD AND THE DYING. A fantastically-designed and printed book showcasing the Eisner and Harvey Award-Winning crime comics from the creators of SLEEPER and INCOGNITO.
Also features many extras - including a Criminal short story and the never-before-printed five page "movie trailer in comics form" that Brubaker and Phillips created to announce the series online... illustrations, selected articles, behind the scenes looks, painted covers... and much much more!
A true collector's edition spectacular from two of the hottest creators in comics, and a must-have for any fan!

Criminal Deluxe Edition Volume 2
The second oversized hardback of the award-winning crime series from Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips is finally here! The first edition has gone through four printings, in sellout after sellout, and now the rest of Brubaker and Phillips' noir masterpiece is collected in the same format. Collecting BAD NIGHT, THE SINNERS and THE LAST OF THE INNOCENT - along with short stories, behind-the-scenes pieces, art and articles, all previously uncollected. Don't miss out on this beautiful package from the best-selling team behind such hits as INCOGNITO and FATALE. Colors by Val Staples and Dave Stewart.

Incognito Classified Edition
From the best-selling award-winning creators of FATALE and CRIMINAL comes the classy deluxe hardback edition of their brutal "Super-Villainin Witness Protection" saga... INCOGNITO! Collecting both INCOGNITO and its sequel BAD INFLUENCES along with many behind-the-scenes extras, previously unseen illustrations and even a few articles, this is the edition you want on your bookshelf!

They are rereleasing these under the image banner? If so...in.

Messi

That is interesting. The original releases had the Icon logo.

I believe image got the rights a year or two ago. Thats why they rereleased all the tps with new covers ect.

They scanned that crazy Arthur Adams FF Commission.

23x28 , Inking took a week. He worked on it between covers for a long time. Its every character that appeared in FF before #100.

Staggering work.

VanWinkle

Yeah people on the FB group were super pumped to see these getting reprinted.

23x28 , Inking took a week. He worked on it between covers for a long time. Its every character that appeared in FF before #100.

Staggering work.

WHAAAAAT. This is unbelievable.

I believe image got the rights a year or two ago. Thats why they rereleased all the tps with new covers ect.

Staggering work.
I'm making a thread on this amazing piece. More need to see it. Is there a original link to a tweet/something I can quote?
Clayface and Killer Croc are more interesting as anti-villains.
Killer Croc as Enchantress' boyfriend is amazing and I miss Bane the adoptive father.

Fury451

Banned

Dammit. I literally just bought two used copies of Icognito because I've been collecting Brubaker

Finished Busiek's run on avengers. Kang Dynasty was great, by far and away the best avengers story I've read. Shame Perez dipped out somewhat early in the run. I thought Korvac and Under Siege were both good stories, but not really "must reads". Kree-Skrull War was pretty dated.

The followup avengers run by Geoff Johns was pretty good as well, but nothing groundbreaking. The vision issues were excellent in particular, I think he had a solid grip on the character. Wonder if he'll ever return to Marvel, that won't be for another couple decades though at least.

Decided to take a break from 616 (ending pretty much right before Modern Marvel kicks in with Avengers Disassembled) and dig into the ultimate universe. I had already read ultimates 1/2 which were excellent, I have Mark Millar's Ultimate X-men, some select volumes of Ultimate FF, and a lot of Ultimate Spider-man. Then I have Hickman's Ultimates, Cataclysm, Ultimate Doom (and the other two series), and Ultimates Disassembled.

VanWinkle

Just read Manhunter Vol. 5, which finished up the series. Kind of sad it didn't get a very fleshed out ending, but I do think Andreyko went about finishing it the right way (time jump), since he only had two more issues allowed when he knew it was ending.

Really great series. Wish we were able to get more Kate through the years, but I can't complain with a 38 issue run of a c-list character.

Bii

Watched Castlevania on Netflix. Whew, got me all hyped. Ellis putting in work! Season 2's going to take awhile, isn't it?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
He didn't remember shit when Gwenpool brought it up.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/yc65lAC.jpg[/IMG]

Wait, what? I could have sworn he talked about in the first issue post-Secret Wars.

Maybe I'm misremembering, though.

Finished Busiek's run on avengers. Kang Dynasty was great, by far and away the best avengers story I've read. Shame Perez dipped out somewhat early in the run. I thought Korvac and Under Siege were both good stories, but not really "must reads". Kree-Skrull War was pretty dated.

If you like Kang Dynasty, you should try Avengers Forever.

VanWinkle

Finally reading The Dark Knight Returns. I've had it for a long time and I figure it's time I read it. First of the four issues was amazing. Looking forward to reading the rest!

Read the first issue of Zdarsky's Spider-Man. Not really crazy about it and it wasn't really worth the $5. I definitely prefer his work as an artist over his work as a writer after trying several different series. His dialogue just doesn't do it for me.

Okay, I just flipped through the first few issues of post SW Miles, and no. There's no talk of the other universe or anything. I don't think he remembers 1610, dead Peter, Battleworld, giving Molecule Man the burger, or anything.

But I dunno... If he doesn't remember 1610 Peter or his moms death, or 1610 May or anything else, then he's not really the same person anymore is he? Same with Ganke, Jefferson, all of the transplants... Do they all just remember 616 stuff all their lives? For example: Who is Reed Richards to them, a famous older scientist with grey temples? Or the young terrorist? And if they remember the 616 version but forgot the 1610 version... Well, does that make any sense considering the 1610 Reed came over too (and totally remembers everything)? If Miles and Reed/Maker come face to face at some point, will Reed remember him but not vice versa?

And is Miles no longer motivated by (1610) Peter's death? How is Ganke the same person? What about Uncle Aaron, was he still a burglar, but not a villain? Was he never the Prowler?

Does he remember the 1610 Jessica (who was a clone of Peter), or 1610 Gwen or 1610 Fury? They all shaped him a lot. His costume came from Fury, in fact. NOW where did his costume come from? In fact, what spider bit Miles? Originally Miles' spider was one that was full of a serum made from Peter's blood. Now what? Was it another science experiment spider just like Peter? Did he build his own web shooters now (in Ultimate, he was given an old pair of Peter's by MJ). Or what?

Would/will he recognize Kate Bishop if/when they cross paths (considering the 1610 version of her was his girlfriend for quite a while)?

Does Bendis even know any of this?

The whole thing gives Brand New Day vibes, but way less defined.

Sandfox

Okay, I just flipped through the first few issues of post SW Miles, and no. There's no talk of the other universe or anything. I don't think he remembers 1610, dead Peter, Battleworld, giving Molecule Man the burger, or anything.

But I dunno... If he doesn't remember 1610 Peter or his moms death, or 1610 May or anything else, then he's not really the same person anymore is he? Same with Ganke, Jefferson, all of the transplants... Do they all just remember 616 stuff all their lives? For example: Who is Reed Richards to them, a famous older scientist with grey temples? Or the young terrorist? And if they remember the 616 version but forgot the 1610 version... Well, does that make any sense considering the 1610 Reed came over too (and totally remembers everything)? If Miles and Reed/Maker come face to face at some point, will Reed remember him but not vice versa?

And is Miles no longer motivated by (1610) Peter's death? How is Ganke the same person? What about Uncle Aaron, was he still a burglar, but not a villain? Was he never the Prowler?

Does Bendis even know any of this?

The whole thing gives Brand New Day vibes, but way less defined.
Well he wrote it so...

Miles does remember and all of that stuff still happened, but Bendis hasn't touched on it. We'll see if he does in Spider-Men II given the plot.

frye

yeah, it ain't as good overall but there's still a bunch of issues that are all-timers

also if you get through the not-Princess Diana arc that's a bit over half way through the run you should know that's pretty much the worst it ever gets and that it ends very strong

Nelo Ice

Banned
Read through Saga 1-6 and got a hold on vol 7 at the library whenever it comes in. Also read through Preacher 1-2 and just borrowed the last 4 trades today. Gotta say Saga and Preacher both lived up to the hype. I couldn't put either comic down and in particular the pace in Saga is absolutely insane.

Also read Earth One Wonder Woman, Superman American Alien, and Red Son. Never read WW before and I love the change they made with Steve Trevor. That line he had about why he was on Diana's side was amazing. Also I think I've become a legit fan of Supes. And it baffles even more me how DC did him so dirty in the current movies :(.

Edi:Also looking to read Kingdom Come and my local library doesn't have it. So any reason I should get the recent deluxe edition for $22 or should I be ok with the paperback at $8?.

Top Bottom