• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

MG310

NYCC Roundup time :D

Incredibly tiring/anxiety inducing but had a good time...focused on commissions over prints/things I can just buy at home with one exception.

Amanda Conner Gallery Edition
IMG_20161009_180848967.jpg

Harley by Erica Henderson

Bombshells Harley (Christmas costume) by Mirka Andolfo

Bombshells Batwoman by Sara Richard

Nick Fury by Andrew Robinson

Typhoid Mary by Jen Bartel

Zatanna by Elsa Charretier

Rogue by Joe Quinones

Cheetah/Wonder Woman by Yanick Paquette

Zombine

Banned

Incredibly tiring/anxiety inducing but had a good time...focused on commissions over prints/things I can just buy at home with one exception.

Wonderful stuff!!!!!

Owzers

WOW, Klaus by Grant Morrison is INCREDIBLE. A couple of issues in and I ADORE it.

Is it a limited series? The pre-order on cmx for the collection says it's a seven issue limited series.

Is this the case? Is CMX just going on the internet to tell lies?

edit: i'm trying to avoid spoilers while looking it up, it was a seven issue series but it's also coming back for a one-shot in december. Allegedly. It's part of the Boom sale, i might buy the first seven issues.

Is it a limited series? The pre-order on cmx for the collection says it's a seven issue limited series.

That is the case

But I must warn you monkey it is a pretty upbeat and heartwarming story about Santa Claus that just happens to have a lot of cool shit in it. It's "Morrison does Fairy Tales"

That is the case

But I must warn you monkey it is a pretty upbeat and heartwarming story about Santa Claus that just happens to have a lot of cool shit in it. It's "Morrison does Fairy Tales"

Sounds really good. Hopefully it's on sale closer to Christmas, I don't think I'll enjoy it in October.

Boogiepop

I think Rune Thor has to do with the Ragnarok Cycle. Also, I googled it because I have no idea. I'm not a Thor expert.

Also the only cop/superhero combo I can think of is Dick Grayson, who became an actual cop when he wasn't being Nightwing.

Mags and Kate maybe?

I'm going to buy all of Lazarus and maybe try out Black Road because of Vikings. Going to get the first issues of Glitterbomb and Snotgirl seeing as those are on sale as well. Not sure about anything else, if Rumble was on sale I'd have grabbed that.

God Hates Astronauts and the Manhattan Projects

Just had a quick scan, but descender, southern cross and invisible republic are all books I've read that I'd recommend. I want to read drifter too, but have not yet.

And Lazarus is great, thought you'd said that haha

Thanks guys!

I don't get too into it with parties and stuff, but I do like decorating my house, pretending to be a stuffed scarecrow and scaring kids until I get bored, then lounging in front of the tube watching scary movies all night.

We are going to be in Disney World for their spook fest or whatever they call it. We are all dressing as pirates so I have to buy a costume for the first time in about five years.

Haha! I'm not necessarily into Halloween in terms of the dressing up and we don't have the best culture for it in our bit of scotland, lots of aggressive obnoxious teenagers at the door for sweets etc. So I avoid the crass commercial parts. Plus it almost always rains super heavy on trick or treat night l so my own boy doesn't usually go out. I do really like it as an excuse in the house. I'm rereading all my mignola books, ill probably watch all my del Toro movies and read a creepy King novel, me and the kiddo will probably watch paranorman and coraline together again etc I like it for that kind of thing.

We are going to be in Disney World for their spook fest or whatever they call it. We are all dressing as pirates so I have to buy a costume for the first time in about five years.

This sounds really great, I'm super jealous. I would definitely do this.

Thanks guys!

Let us know what you grab (and even though it's not on sale, rumble is really great!)

Owzers

I don't get too into it with parties and stuff, but I do like decorating my house, pretending to be a stuffed scarecrow and scaring kids until I get bored, then lounging in front of the tube watching scary movies all night.

NBA season starts around Halloween. That replaces scary movies that scare me.

Zombine

Banned
So is Owzers sillymonkey? I still haven't put two and two together.

Also, Messi, if anyone else here says they hate Halloween put them on the list.

Boogiepop

Let us know what you grab (and even though it's not on sale, rumble is really great!)

Went ahead and grabbed everything recommended, plus topped off Bitch Planet, Paper Girls, and Tokyo Ghost despite not reading what I had of those from the last sales, as it was a handful of bucks to do so. (I'll totally get Rumble whenever it's next on sale, but Image sales seem common and vast enough that I can't really justify jumping into one of their series if it's not on sale).

Went ahead and grabbed everything recommended, plus topped off Bitch Planet, Paper Girls, and Tokyo Ghost despite not reading what I had of those from the last sales, as it was a handful of bucks to do so. (I'll totally get Rumble whenever it's next on sale, but Image sales seem common and vast enough that I can't really justify jumping into one of their series if it's not on sale).

Haha I can't blame you. It probably will show up in some Halloween sale or something. Rumble actually does have a really great Halloween issue. Kudos to you anyway man, tons of great stuff there. Look forward to hearing what you think! Lazarus will rock your socks off.

Does the mignola stuff go on sale on cmx a lot?

Hagi

Haha I can't blame you. It probably will show up in some Halloween sale or something. Rumble actually does have a really great Halloween issue. Kudos to you anyway man, tons of great stuff there. Look forward to hearing what you think! Lazarus will rock your socks off.

Does the mignola stuff go on sale on cmx a lot?

There was a Dark Horse sale during SDCC i think but I haven't noticed anything else but maybe I've missed one.

oni_saru

I would definitely check out The Athority by Ellis for more Midnighter/Apollo. Also, Midnighter's New54/DCU run is pretty great.

As good as every comic gets a physical collection release these days. Sometimes it just takes a couple of months.

Pretty safe bet that Midnighter and Apollo will be collected.

It will get a physical release next year

Midnighter and Apollo will get a trade at some point next year.

I recommend Stormwatch vols 1 and 2 by Warren Ellis (M&A don't show up til volume 2, but volume 1 is great and must read), the Authority volume 1 (also by Warren Ellis), Midnighter volumes 1 and 2 by Steve Orlando. There is also an older Midnighter solo series by Garth Ennis and later Keith Giffen that you can get now digitally on Comixology, if you prefer physical it will be released as a collection next year.

Thanks for the responses everyone! Local comic shop is gonna have their annual Halloween sale soon so i'll definitely pick some of these up!

I'm excited about my growing comic collection!

VanWinkle

edit: i'm trying to avoid spoilers while looking it up, it was a seven issue series but it's also coming back for a one-shot in december. Allegedly. It's part of the Boom sale, i might buy the first seven issues.

I bought it with the Cmx sale. Man is it GREAT. Glad you got it.

Had to read Kill or Be Killed #2 to see if I'm still on board for this week. And...I am.

This was a strong issue. I like this book a lot more when
the demon isn't around
, it's a more complex and interesting story when
that's an abstract idea dwelling in the margins
. The groundwork from #1 establishing
our hero as a loser seems to be over, at least for now
. Freed of these first issue obligations, the central premise has a lot more room to breathe here, and we get a better sense of the themes Bru will be exploring with this book. I'm glad I gave it another shot.

Messi

Typhoid Mary by Jen Bartel

Zatanna by Elsa Charretier

Rogue by Joe Quinones

Cheetah/Wonder Woman by Yanick Paquette

I was standing behind you when you got that Zatanna by Elsa lol

Zombine

Banned
Messi, put yourself on the list. Shameful.

Owzers, what is an owzers?

Wait...why didn't I get to meet MG? I wanted to steal his art.

Zombine

Banned
I was going to do the whole Abraham thing for Halloween but I kinda shaved my beard off entirely today...

I now look like I'm just barely able to sign up for neogaf.

Messi

My NYCC haul missing Elsa Charretiers full commission and Sanford Greene cover sketch (we will get to that, it's getting sorted)

Erica Henderson - Ms Marvel

John Timms - Harley and Ivy (10 min sketch as the show was closing and he didn't charge me either , super nice dude)

Marcio Takara - Rogue

Brett Parsons - Harley Quinn (this was $30 and it blew me away. Too fucking good. Read Tank Girl please)

Linda Sejic - Harley Quinn (so happy I got this. Linda is lovely)

Jen Bartel - Alana and Hazel (OMG Hazel totes dorbz)

Terry Moore - Francine and Katchoo and their babies (Terry is just awesome)

Joe Quinones - Zatanna and Harley (Joe killed my really basic idea. What an amazing artist. Terry Dodson said it was incredible)

Elsa Charretier - Lisa and Ally (she loves sunstone and has such a unique style. My favorite new artist in years)

Mirka Andolpho - Harley Quinn (this is 11x17, huge, detailed and so fucking good. Totally exceeded my expectations)

I have books and prints if you guys care but that is the the original art. I am so happy. My first ever con was such a success and not one person let me down.

MG310

I was standing behind you when you got that Zatanna by Elsa lol

Hah (I had no idea what you looked like so asking around for Messi from the NeoGAF would have been weird)

I might have cut you off in Jimmy and Amanda's line if you were there at 11 too since they let people who bought the gallery edition jump in front.

Great haul! :D Joe really killed it on that one.

Every time you guys post sketches from cons I about die from envy. Some gorgeous stuff from NYCC guys.

I'm always tempted to hit a con well-stocked with artists and go wild someday, but then I remind myself they'd all end up decorating the basement where nobody ever goes. =/

Malyse

Every time you guys post sketches from cons I about die from envy. Some gorgeous stuff from NYCC guys.

I'm always tempted to hit a con well-stocked with artists and go wild someday, but then I remind myself they'd all end up decorating the basement where nobody ever goes. =/

Plot twist: commission your art online via email.

Boogiepop

Yesssss, reading through my backlog and I hit Gwenpool finally, and as I expected from that (crazy awesome) team working on it, this is definitely my jam. Has it been doing solidly numbers-wise, or should I be concerned about the cruel world of sales taking this away from me?

TheFlow

Banned
American Vampire Second Cycle #7

the plot is interesting but I can't say much for the dialog. art is not as good as I remember it too.

3/5

Top Bottom