• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Hagi

I have all 12 with Vol.13 on the way. :3

Also, IST shipped my Goon Vol.4 Library Edition. Yay!

Like everything else I read I stopped following it after a while. Not that I didn't enjoy it mind you, the prison arc is top tier A+ comics. The show pales in comparison.

Like everything else I read I stopped following it after a while. Not that I didn't enjoy it mind you, the prison arc is top tier A+ comics. The show pales in comparison.

In hindsight, the prison arc was a low point of the whole series. It's definitely been much better since then. The show has always been a different creature, I think. It's meant to be slow-paced in order to feed into that sense of foreboding.

Haha. I won't talk shit on the book, a lot of people like it, but in the end, the series just acted as a good entry point back into comics back around 2005/2006 for me. By the end of the second book I'd had my fill of Kirkman and his writing. I kept going for a few years out.of habit and to see if I'd come round but I've never regretted it. (I've been corrected by the lady, apparently she bought me up to the 7th HC. Did not realise I'd made it that far)

Do you guys read/enjoy outcast?

I wonder if it's better to jump into TWD after All-Out War at this point. It's a much better book, but I wonder how well it would work without all the history.

Hagi

In hindsight, the prison arc was a low point of the whole series. It's definitely been much better since then. The show has always been a different creature, I think. It's meant to be slow-paced in order to feed into that sense of foreboding.

Really? damn maybe I should get back into it then...

I don't mind slow paced drama but TWD always seems like it opens strong then spins its wheels in mediocrity until the finish. Rinse and repeat. I get bored with it rather quickly. I'll tune in for Negan though, some inspired casting right there. Hopefully they do him better than the Governor.

Do you guys read/enjoy outcast?

I really like the first trade. Very creepy.

Really? damn maybe I should get back into it then...

The thing about the prison arc was that it was rather plodding until they moved on, and the Governor was an uninteresting, one-dimensional villain. In the TV series, they put effort into his backstory and attempted to paint him as a person. In the comics, he was simply an adversary for Rick and the group to overcome. Kirkman never tried to make him into more and I don't think it would have interested readers if he did.

I really like the first trade. Very creepy.

I'd be interested in giving that a shot maybe. A fresh start with Kirkman.

If we're talking about the walking dead show now, liked the Darabont season a lot, and liked the more charged Glem Mazzara seasons (basically season 1-half way through 3), but I haven't really liked it a whole lot since the current showrunner took over. There is some unforgivable directing in the last season or two as well.

The thing about the prison arc was that it was rather plodding until they moved on, and the Governor was an uninteresting, one-dimensional villain. In the TV series, they put effort into his backstory and attempted to paint him as a person. In the comics, he was simply an adversary for Rick and the group to overcome. Kirkman never tried to make him into more and I don't think it would have interested readers if he did.

To be fair though, the effort they put into fleshing out his character on the tv series led to a lot of bloat in other places and it really didn't feel justified in light of that. I would take the shorter arc with one-dimensional Governor in the comics over the season and a half of meandering in the show.

Vic_Viper

He's on the cover for 1 so I'd say you assume wrong. The book is basically going to end up a team up book like Iron Fist and Power-Man. I'm really stoked for it.

Yea obviously lol. I meant his return after his demise in Annihalation. Didn't know he made his return already though in the last issue of the last Nova series. Figured he would make his return in an event book like Civil War 2. I knew he was going to be in the new Nova series, that's a given.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I think I read up to the 5th 12 issue HC of twd then sold them all, jumped off the whole thing.

That is further than I made it initially.

I originally quit reading it at after issue #34 which was the issue where
Rick, Glenn, and Michonne escape Woodbury
. Then last year I jumped back in with #64
TAINTED MEAT!
and have been hooked ever since.

Some day I'll fill in those missing 30 issues.

To be fair though, the effort they put into fleshing out his character on the tv series led to a lot of bloat in other places and it really didn't feel justified in light of that. I would take the shorter arc with one-dimensional Governor in the comics over the season and a half of meandering in the show.

I agree. I quite liked the episodes that focused on fleshing him out but there was no place for them. The whole thing felt so poorly paced.

It's funny, I never thought I would be happy with one season of the prison but that really is all they needed. Their whole approach to Woodbury was kind of a hot mess. I'm not sure why we needed to see that the Governor's approach was working reasonably well, and at such length. It jacked up all their motivation for attacking the prison so badly they had to hand the prison siege to an entirely different, hastily introduced group. I still have no idea what drove them to play up the whole "Woodbury ain't so bad" angle as much as they did.

Hagi

Yea obviously lol. I meant his return after his demise in Annihalation. Didn't know he made his return already though in the last issue of the last Nova series. Figured he would make his return in an event book like Civil War 2. I knew he was going to be in the new Nova series, that's a given.

He'd only appear in Civil War 2 to destroy those assholes souls like he did Tony in the original. I actually wish it would happen but Ulysses would probably warn them of the incoming ether. "What the fuck have you been fighting over while I was in the Cancerverse? You did what to Bruce Banner?"

I like to think that our Star Lord is actually the one from the Cancerverse and that's why he's so awful. Nobody seems to have figured it out yet.

He'd only appear in Civil War 2 to destroy those assholes souls like he did Tony in the original. I actually wish it would happen but Ulysses would probably warn them of the incoming ether. "What the fuck have you been fighting over while I was in the Cancerverse? You did what to Bruce Banner?"

Nova shwooping down to Earth and shaming Carol for being a cosmic-level embarrasment is something I'd pay good money to see

Tony off in the corner thinking damn I know that feel Carol

The Walking Dead and art talk reminded me, this is the only original art I have (it has since been reframed, but I haven't hung it up again):

NvwwlrW.jpg

Adlard was a gent. The reaction from him when he offered my friend a sketch and he asked for Daryl was pretty amazing though.

TheFlow

Banned
I agree. I quite liked the episodes that focused on fleshing him out but there was no place for them. The whole thing felt so poorly paced.

It's funny, I never thought I would be happy with one season of the prison but that really is all they needed. Their whole approach to Woodbury was kind of a hot mess. I'm not sure why we needed to see that the Governor's approach was working reasonably well, and at such length. It jacked up all their motivation for attacking the prison so badly they had to hand the prison siege to an entirely different, hastily introduced group. I still have no idea what drove them to play up the whole "Woodbury ain't so bad" angle as much as they did.
i honestly skipped most of the 3/4seasons. Prison arc wasn't doing it for me

Ross61

Power's back on, now I don't have to read comics anymore. Started watching The Office Season 8, and this meatball gag in the beginning of episode 12 has been the only thing I've laughed at.

Just have to get caught up on:
New Super-Man
Suicide Squad
Superwoman
Supergirl
All Star Batman
Grayson and then going into Nightwing

Minis:
Raven
Deadman
Death of Hawkman
Midnighter and Apollo

And then I'll be all caught up with DC's main titles. Then I'll start on Doom Patrol and Shade. Then I'll get caught up on the Hanna Barbera titles. After that, is Saga and Invincible. Then I'll start on Marvel.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
is comicsGAF watching Westworld? this shit is too dope so far

also, i stopped picking up Saga after vol 2 - went ahead and picked up everything i'm missing. time to catch up.

Hagi

Nova shwooping down to Earth and shaming Carol for being a cosmic-level embarrasment is something I'd pay good money to see

Tony off in the corner thinking damn I know that feel Carol

It's all I could honestly ever ask for. Carol being all "You don't understand what we've had to deal with here" While Richard gives her a blank stare and reminds her where he's been for the last however long the sliding time-scale has moved this month.

Tony scuffing his feet in the background and Star Lord casually trying to disappear without Rich noticing him.

Lol oh damn. The end of episode 9/beginning of episode 10 in cage.

also, i stopped picking up Saga after vol 2 - went ahead and picked up everything i'm missing. time to catch up.

Yea i wrote a bit about westworld a few days ago man. I really really liked it. Best thing I've saw in some time. I like how much there was.to unpack from it

I've been on nights this week, so not at the moment. Days next week though, so I'll have more time then. I don't watch a lot of TV, so I try to give what I do watch my full attention.

My schedule for the next month actually means I'm going to miss the Batman '66 animated movie cinema showing here as well.

jon bones

Yea i wrote a bit about westworld a few days ago man. I really really liked it. Best thing I've saw in some time. I like how much there was.to unpack from it

seriously - i think a lot of the stuff we've already seen is going to become really interesting once we learn the context of it.

so much to unpack, i love it.

I've been on nights this week, so not at the moment. Days next week though, so I'll have more time then. I don't watch a lot of TV, so I try to give what I do watch my full attention.

My schedule for the next month actually means I'm going to miss the Batman '66 animated movie cinema showing here as well.

dope, interested in hearing your thoughts. i was instantly drawn into the world they've created and i think a lot of comicGAF will appreciate it in that same way.

Hagi

Probably going to wait till there's quite a few to burn through before watching but I've been looking forward to it for a long time and I'm glad it's getting such a positive response.

I watched the new Still Game though and that was tv episode of the year.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Loved the first episode of Westworld. Watched it 3 times already.

Enjoy you some Saga.

seriously - i think a lot of the stuff we've already seen is going to become really interesting once we learn the context of it.

so much to unpack, i love it.

For sure man. I was always a huge lost fan for all the hints and mysteries and westworld has a lot of that in it, but obviously filtered through the modern day much more mature hbo style. I love game of thrones but shows where there are so many little things flitting in and out of each scene that you.know mean something, be it for the plot or as some sort of motif towards the overall themes etc, are really my jam. Do you watch the leftovers?

jon bones

Probably going to wait till there's quite a few to burn through before watching but I've been looking forward to it for a long time and I'm glad it's getting such a positive response.

i believe at this early stage there is real value in seeing it slowly unfold. it feels like the curtain is being pulled aside and it's fascinating to see what's behind it.

and i know we're only 2 episodes in, but the pacing has been great so far.

anyone know how many episodes season 1 is?

TheFlow

Banned
Power's back on, now I don't have to read comics anymore. Started watching The Office Season 8, and this meatball gag in the beginning of episode 12 has been the only thing I've laughed at.

Just have to get caught up on:
New Super-Man
Suicide Squad
Superwoman
Supergirl
All Star Batman
Grayson and then going into Nightwing

Minis:
Raven
Deadman
Death of Hawkman
Midnighter and Apollo

And then I'll be all caught up with DC's main titles. Then I'll start on Doom Patrol and Shade. Then I'll get caught up on the Hanna Barbera titles. After that, is Saga and Invincible. Then I'll start on Marvel.
Damn I was in a similar case but it was Jair our internet down for 2 days. All my comics were digital.

All the minis from DC have been great. Midnighter and apollo is my favorite

It's all I could honestly ever ask for. Carol being all "You don't understand what we've had to deal with here" While Richard gives her a blank stare and reminds her where he's been for the last however long the sliding time-scale has moved this month.

Tony scuffing his feet in the background and Star Lord casually trying to disappear without Rich noticing him.

While it would definitely be delicious, his grievance isn't quite as legitimate as it was in CW1. He willingly sacrificed himself to stop the Cancerverse. All part of the job. If anyone he should be pissed at Peter for not trying to rescue him (though perhaps there was an explanation for this in those terrible Bendis issues I'm forgetting).

His beef with Tony snatched that man's soul because he was completely right. Earth has perhaps the largest concentration of godlike beings anywhere and they're caught up in a pissing match while the rest of the galaxy is enduring the most nightmarish hostile invasion pretty much ever. If they hadn't been so busy measuring dicks, any handful of them could have saved countless lives, entire worlds and cultures even.

Post-Annihilation Rich's dedication to the job and the fact that he experiences his powers as the responsibility they should be are what make him such a great character. He was completely the right person to tell Tony he had lost his way. That's why it was so immensely satisfying.

I love you right now. The Americans is incredible, I feel so bad for Phillip and Elizabeth all of the time. No one else I know watches though.

We just watched the one where
their son gets busted b&eing and it ends with him begging them to believe that he's a good person. My wife and I were totally heartbroken, total punch in the gut.

WOW, Klaus by Grant Morrison is INCREDIBLE. A couple of issues in and I ADORE it.

Yesssss it gets SO GOOD dude

This post made me smile

VanWinkle

their son gets busted b&eing and it ends with him begging them to believe that he's a good person. My wife and I were totally heartbroken, total punch in the gut.

Yesssss it gets SO GOOD dude

This post made me smile

It feels so fresh, man. And the art is glorious.

Hagi

While it would definitely be delicious, his grievance isn't quite as legitimate as it was in CW1. He willingly sacrificed himself to stop the Cancerverse. All part of the job. If anyone he should be pissed at Peter for not trying to rescue him (though perhaps there was an explanation for this in those terrible Bendis issues I'm forgetting).

His beef with Tony snatched that man's soul because he was completely right. Earth has perhaps the largest concentration of godlike beings anywhere and they're caught up in a pissing match while the rest of the galaxy is enduring the most nightmarish hostile invasion pretty much ever. If they hadn't been so busy measuring dicks, any handful of them could have saved countless lives, entire worlds and cultures even.

Post-Annihilation Rich's dedication to the job and the fact that he experiences his powers as the responsibility they should be are what make him such a great character. He was completely the right person to tell Tony he had lost his way. That's why it was so immensely satisfying.

Haha yeah I just think he'd be sad that in all the time he's been away not a lot has really changed and the "heroes" are still knocking ten shades of shit out of each other. It's partly why I'm excited that he's been paired with Sam as he being a young kid and a fresh face should make the book and his return that much more fun and inspiring.

I know haha. He's a member of the writers room for the whole season but episode 4 I believe was the one he got the heavy lifting for.

their son gets busted b&eing and it ends with him begging them to believe that he's a good person. My wife and I were totally heartbroken, total punch

It really is incredible in its character work. We initially jumped in purely because I love cold war spy stuff, my partner didn't even want to watch it, and she loves it too. Very heartbreaking, and a great way of examining what being a couple or a family and loving each other really mean. And Martha! We're all up to date though, so I won't say much more.

Haha yeah I just think he'd be sad that in all the time he's been away not a lot has really changed and the "heroes" are still knocking ten shades of shit out of each other. It's partly why I'm excited that he's been paired with Sam as he being a young kid and a fresh face should make the book and his return that much more fun and inspiring.

Oh no doubt, I'm definitely amped for the inevitable LOL WHAT THE FUCK I can't believe you clowns are STILL doing this shit

I'm fucking off to space forever, let's go kid

Top Bottom