• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED: PS4 Slim supports 5GHz wifi

mboojigga

Also for anyone that may not be aware you can't eliminate all wireless interference in a home but you can use apps like Airport Utility to identify wireless networks in your area that may be on the same channel with your router to avoid interference with any wireless devices you can see.

jm89

I always use to blame PSN for slow download speeds on my ps4 but it was actually the 2.4ghz frequency being congested as hell on all channels were i live. This will probably push me to get the slim or neo.

I always use to blame PSN for slow download speeds on my ps4 but it was actually the 2.4ghz frequency being congested as hell on all channels were i live. This will probably push me to get the slim or neo.

PSN can be shit regardless of how you connect. It's just a bad service.

risq_aus

Banned
I used to use Wifi for convenience but the disadvantage is just too big. You're slugged with two hits of latency instead of just the one.

This is actually fantastic, my PS4 is in the same room as my modem but I can't run an ethernet cable to it so this is the perfect solution!

Deeke[VRZ];215291607 said:
The PS4 Slim does support b/g/n/ac WiFi, according to Shortman82

https://twitter.com/shortmaneighty2/status/769940698573537286

http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-certified-ac said:
Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ ac is the latest generation of Wi-Fi which delivers up to multi-gigabit per second data rates, enabling devices to handle demanding applications such as Ultra HD and 4K video, multimedia streaming and rapid file transfer on tablets, gaming devices, handsets and many other devices. Based on IEEE 802.11ac, Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac devices offer higher capacity, improved power management, and lower latency

http://www.smartbrief.com/s/2016/04/lg-exhibit-features-wireless-atsc-30-antenna-nab-show said:
LG Electronics is showing off its wireless antenna, which is designed to work using the ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 (4K antenna TV) broadcast standard. The antenna, which redistributes the ATSC 3.0 signal to WiFi connected devices, is a feature at the ATSC 3.0 Consumer Experience exhibit.
Make sense now.

prag16

Banned
I'm not sure releasing a console in 2013 without 5GHz qualifies as "getting everything right" but it's certainly a marked improvement to "inexplicably stupid".
"Inexplicably stupid" describes the lack of 5ghz support on og PS4 almost perfectly. Every damn device I've bought since 2010 has had it, except for fucking PS4 (and Wii U, but that's Nintendo and therefore a little less shocking).

Maddanth

Too bad download speeds via PSN will still be absolute garbage though, and thus not really able to take true advantage of 5Ghz.

Even ethernet speeds are terrible most of the time, compared to what they should be.
Yup I have 250 Mbps and I download things in seconds, but when it comes to PSN downloads it's absolute garbage. Everything else tho is great. I'm on Ethernet on PS4 as well.

Where is the evidence to support such a claim? More shit posting?

I don't have hard data (I doubt it even exists) but I've seen numerous reports here on GAF and my personal experience has been bad. Couple that with other issues (like lacking security or awful customer service) and you have a bad service.

And no, it's not my router/my connection/my config. Every other service runs just fine. PSN isn't reliable (at least for me). Wired on a 250mb.

And I was just answering to other users having the same problems. I don't see how that's shitposting (since we were discussing performance).

Would saying "it can be a bad service depending on where you live" make you feel better?

Be my guest. Just don't quote out of context, as that was a response to a larger (while still small) discussion.

SURGEdude

It's pretty much the consensus on Gaf. For a large number of people it's fairly sub-par. Can't think of another service where people pause and resume downloads until they get out on a less congested CDN server. If you have no issues be glad, but let's not pretend this isn't a consistent issue for many people.

I don't have hard data (I doubt it even exists) but I've seen numerous reports here on GAF and my personal experience has been bad. Couple that with other issues (like lacking security or awful customer service) and you have a bad service.

And no, it's not my router/my connection/my config. Every other service runs just fine. PSN isn't reliable (at least for me). Wired on a 250mb.

And I was just answering to other users having the same problems. I don't see how that's shitposting (since we were discussing performance).

Would saying "it can be a bad service depending on where you live" make you feel better?

Be my guest. Just don't quote out of context, as that was a response to a larger (while still small) discussion.

Your original quote didn't indicate any distinction that you were having issues but this was something of the service completely... When that is obviously not the case.

Would it have made you feel better if he agreed with your quote instead? Please.. In context, the wifi chip is the only discussion happening here, not the state of of PSN that is for the most part... Fine.. Except for you.

It's pretty much the consensus on Gaf. For a large number of people it's fairly sub-par. Can't think of another service where people pause and resume downloads until they get out on a less congested CDN server. If you have no issues be glad, but let's not pretend this isn't a consistent issue for many people.

Inconsistent. There are as many people who complain about PSN on gaf that almost equal the same amount of people who don't have issues on PSN. These threads are never one sided.

SURGEdude

Your original quote didn't indicate any distinction that you were having issues but this was something of the service completely... When that is obviously not the case.

Would it have made you feel better if he agreed with your quote instead? Please.. In context, the wifi chip is the only discussion happening here, not the state of of PSN that is for the most part... Fine.. Except for you.

Inconsistent. There are as many people who complain about PSN on gaf that almost equal the same amount of people who don't have issues on PSN. These threads are never one sided.

Consistent for those individuals. The verbiage is accurate when you parse it as written. The fact that Sony has used shitty NICs in the PS3, Vita (dear god), and the PS4 isn't the only issue. No other network has what you seem to consider a fair ratio of 50% approval or tolerance. Not even the shitty 2nd rate (free) crap like uPlay or Origin. The wifi solution is obviously a problem. But the people who work on PSN are the same folks responsible for the late introduction of pretty much standard stuff like 2-factor authentication, and the PS3 PSN Store that's driven many of us to the web version because it doesn't crash constantly. Even the recently buffed cloud storage is still at the bottom of the pool.

risq_aus

Banned
It took me over 12hrs to download No Mans Sky on PSN and less than 1hr to download it on steam. Both PC and PS4 connected via ethernet.

Rellik

I'm wired and PSN will still give me pathetic speeds at times.

Korezo

The service has been crap for me and all my friends. I download 50 gbs in like 15-20mins on pc, while on ps4 the other day it took over 8 hours to dl Destiny 24gb. Very rarely has the speed been good.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Really need PSN to update their servers to get decent speeds first. I can download 10MB/s from Steam and am lucky to get 1.5-2 MB/s from PSN. Both wired.

Except that they got rid of the optical audio out for the Slim. Otherwise the Slim would be better than the OG in terms of gaming and media enjoyment.

It's better anyways, as HD audio really requires and HDMI capable receiver. Optical is old and dated. Most people with optical can still run the cable from the TV to the receiver. The only crowd it affects is the headset crowd, and they can just get an audio extractor.

Consistent for those individuals. The verbiage is accurate when you parse it as written. The fact that Sony has used shitty NICs in the PS3, Vita (dear god), and the PS4 isn't the only issue. No other network has what you seem to consider a fair ratio of 50% approval or tolerance. Not even the shitty 2nd rate (free) crap like uPlay or Origin. The wifi solution is obviously a problem. But the people who work on PSN are the same folks responsible for the late introduction of pretty much standard stuff like 2-factor authentication, and the PS3 PSN Store that's driven many of us to the web version because it doesn't crash constantly. Even the recently buffed cloud storage is still at the bottom of the pool.

But this is not a fact. If there are people who Share they don't have issues and people who do have issues, why should I weigh the voices of people who have issues higher than those who don't? People are less likely to make threads about "Good" internet speeds period in general. But the fact is it's not consistent for everyone. There are people who get 100/mbs speeds and can download games in 30 minutes but then you get someone with the same speed who can barely get 10/mbs and it takes them a day.

PSN was mostly garbage on the PS3 but I find it hard to believe that there has been absolutely no improvements when that simply isn't true. Gaf word isn't gospel regardless of how many threads there are because the overall consensus is, once again, it's bad for some and good for others. So as the other poster stated, if their isn't any evidence, then at this point it's a he said she said. Some people do some people don't. Inconsistent.

PSN has issues but the argument that it's mostly trash compared to better is false...2FA aside.

Randomizer

Not for me. I regularly download 1gb+ files in a matter of minutes. Been like that since getting ps4 on launch day here in the UK. On 70 mb fiber optic connection, which I'm sure helps.
Too bad a lot of people don't get the speeds their connection delivers though.
Hmm I am in the UK with 100Mb speed and get absolutely abysmal speeds. Steam on the other hand is full speed. But pretty sure they have the biggest traffic rates next Netflix, YouTube and Twitch. So their servers have to be able to dish out such good speeds.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's never too late for people to understand that the network speed ISPs advertise/offer are never guaranteed, or at least aren't guaranteed outside of the ISP's own network.

One could have a 1 Gbps connection and still couldn't get more than 10 Mbps from a given site, because the ISP's peering link involved in building up the connection between its network and the one the said server is hosted on is just bad and saturates.

Very well and concisely said :).

It would be nice for the idea that the deals one ISP may have with its neighbouring AS/other networks may impact the path packets take and the speed they are routed at... See Netflix not receiving the same access to customers by all providers.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Except that they got rid of the optical audio out for the Slim. Otherwise the Slim would be better than the OG in terms of gaming and media enjoyment.

That is quite a horrible choice as it would prevent me from upgrading at this moment even if I wanted to as I am not going to replace my A/V receiver right now. Hopefully Neo does provide optical out.

Top Bottom