• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

i-Lo

infamoussecondson_201pjl4a.jpg

Is it really that bad looking? Saw a few PS4 gameplay videos in Gamersyde and I thought it looked great visually thanks to the lighting.

The textures aren't consistent, and some areas look kinda messy in that grainy way where the high contrast lighting makes the screen look like an aliasing mess, but I think the art design overall is strong. And even though some of the lighting is very id Tech 5 flat and baked, they manage to make it work with numerous filters.

ogkJ4Y.jpg

oaFd4P.jpg

uBRZCC.jpg

The textures aren't consistent, and some areas look kinda messy in that grainy way where the high contrast lighting makes the screen look like an aliasing mess, but I think the art design overall is strong. And even though some of the lighting is very id Tech 5 flat and baked, they manage to make it work with numerous filters.

ogkJ4Y.jpg

oaFd4P.jpg

uBRZCC.jpg

Thank you for the clarification Net. Off-topic, how are you finding the frame rate on the PS4?

Thank you for the clarification Net. Off-topic, how are you finding the frame rate on the PS4?

Not great. It's not unplayable, most of time time it's very playable actually, but compared to some of the rock solid 30fps games we've been getting lately, it's clearly not in that class. Drops most often when there's a lot of fire and enemies around, or randomly in some of the more detailed rooms.

That sounds negative, but I'm 6 Chapters in (at 9 hours) and the last 3 have been excellent with masterful pacing and enemy encounters. If you can stomach some mechanical + presentation jank, there's a very good game here, so far at least. We don't get these kinds of big linear games that often anymore. Well worth the asking price IMO.

Not great. It's not unplayable, most of time time it's very playable actually, but compared to some of the rock solid 30fps games we've been getting lately, it's clearly not in that class. Drops most often when there's a lot of fire and enemies around, or randomly in some of the more detailed rooms.

That sounds negative, but I'm 6 Chapters in (at 9 hours) and the last 3 have been excellent with masterful pacing and enemy encounters. If you can stomach some mechanical + presentation jank, there's a very good game here, so far at least. We don't get these kinds of big linear games that often anymore. Well worth the asking price IMO.

Hmm, in the Evil Within review thread a few mentioned that the frame rates dropped in open areas and in more closed environments things were smooth. I hate to make my purchasing decision on frame rates, but if the game isn't offering a smooth gameplay-frame rate experience(i.e. a min of 30fps solid), then....

Hmm, in the Evil Within review thread a few mentioned that the frame rates dropped in open areas and in more closed environments things were smooth. I hate to make my purchasing decision on frame rates, but if the game isn't offering a smooth gameplay-frame rate experience(i.e. a min of 30fps solid), then....

I haven't found it to be as predictable as "Open = unstable, closed = stable." In fact, my worse drop came randomly in a very small room in Chapter 4. That seems to have been a one off though, because nothing since then has bothered me as much.

Everyone has different a different sensitivity these things though, so what do I know? All I can say is that I'm enjoying myself a lot. It's the kind of thing where I'd kick myself for waiting a year to play it if I held off because of the framerate. You might feel differently, IDK.

I haven't found it to be as predictable as "Open = unstable, closed = stable." In fact, my worse drop came randomly in a very small room in Chapter 4. That seems to have been a one off though, because nothing since then has bothered me as much.

Everyone has different a different sensitivity these things though, so what do I know? All I can say is that I'm enjoying myself a lot. It's the kind of thing where I'd kick myself for waiting a year to play it if I held off because of the framerate. You might feel differently, IDK.

likewise Net. Thank you for the replies though!

Shin-Ra

Timu

So much worse than the uncompressed frame you mean? You're right about needing PNG capture though.

Hardware encoder for screenshots?
Yep(capture cards have them but you can leave them uncompressed if they can do it), that's why when you take screenshots with PS4 share they come out compressed because they aren't even the correct size of what a 1080p JPG file size should be. They're supposed to be over 1MB but instead they're usually around 400-600kb. I used my capture card to do a uncompressed 1080p JPG shot and they always end up above 1MB.

If the PS4 had the option to change the settings of how to handle screenshots for higher quality by not letting the encoder affect it as much, there would be uncompressed screens. The reason it has one is mainly for the vids because uncompressed vids are huge and demanding even at 720p let alone 1080p. It's why the PS4's hardware encoder does compression to 720p at 30FPS vids for 15 minutes, because anymore and it would fill up the hard drive quicker. Not to mention it takes some hardware to be able to handle that while recording a game.

I don't know why it has one for screenshots, they should leave them uncompressed. I read that the PS4 share goes up to 92% for screenshots and it's why there's compression in areas definitely for 1080p. It should be 100%. Sony would have to get a firmware update to allow that though.

Shin-Ra

Yep(capture cards have them but you can leave them uncompressed if they can do it), that's why when you take screenshots with PS4 share they come out compressed because they aren't even the correct size of what a 1080p JPG file size should be. They're supposed to be over 1MB but instead they're usually around 400-600kb. I used my capture card to do a uncompressed 1080p JPG shot and they always end up above 1MB.

If the PS4 had the option to change the settings of how to handle screenshots for higher quality by not letting the encoder affect it as much, there would be uncompressed screens. The reason it has one is mainly for the vids because uncompressed vids are huge and demanding even at 720p let alone 1080p. It's why the PS4's hardware encoder does compression to 720p at 30FPS vids for 15 minutes, because anymore and it would fill up the hard drive quicker. Not to mention it takes some hardware to be able to handle that while recording a game.

I don't know why it has one for screenshots, they should leave them uncompressed. I read that the PS4 share goes up to 92% for screenshots and it's why there's compression in areas definitely for 1080p. It should be 100%. Sony would have to get a firmware update to allow that though.
I was just trying to determine if he meant USB captures are worse than the old PSN app messaging method (some people used to think messaging was still better because the pictures are compressed a second time with a resulting larger file size) but I think we're past that.

I don't understand what you meant about a hardware encoder affecting screenshot capture quality though. I doubt the hardware video encoder and frame buffer caps for screenshots are linked.

Timu

I don't understand what you meant about a hardware encoder affecting screenshot capture quality though. I doubt the hardware video encoder and frame buffer caps for screenshots are linked.
Well, something isn't making them uncompressed so something is up with that.=O

Damn it! I thought it was a screenshot from a Silent Hill 1 remake that I'd somehow heard nothing of. I was thinking "wow, they really have made it close to the original renders."

Then I realized it WAS a CGI render from the original :(

I need to drink my morning coffee now....

HeelPower

Damn it! I thought it was a screenshot from a Silent Hill 1 remake that I'd somehow heard nothing of. I was thinking "wow, they really have made it close to the original renders."

I am SO sorry for that :'(

Totally not the intention of my post ,but its amazing to think about #_#

I am SO sorry for that :'(

Totally not the intention of my post ,but its amazing to think about #_#

Haha, no need to be sorry! Just me being absent minded!

It would have been glorious to see the game with that kind of quality. Lisa was a great character in SH btw
but with a sad ending to her :(

Absolutely love that all these games are including photomodes now.

Evil Within needs one, that game looks absolutely amazing in spots, and then somehow awful in others.

le-seb

Err, not sure what you mean with correct size.
JPEG isn't a lossless codec, and you can select the level of compression you want when generating files using it.

So, what you see is likely just your software only applying low levels of compression, hence generating bigger files with better IQ, versus the PS4 applying a lot to generate smaller files, but resulting in worse IQ.

As far as I'm concerned, I want the option to export them using PNG, so that the original IQ is preserved, even if it means I can only export them using USB (Facebook/Twitter being the ones hosting the images, they may have also been the ones requiring Sony heavy compression).

Berto

No need to be surprised, Silent Hill CGI was incredible for the time.

Top Bottom