• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops in standoff w/couple in car shoot them dead...turns out the couple was sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand. If they thought they saw a gun, wouldn't they have been able to see they were just sleeping? Were the cops just literally standing there for 45 minutes straight having a one-sided standoff? None of this makes sense.

The problem you are having is you believe that US police are professional and competent. Once you realize they're not, it all makes sense.

Ponn

Banned
So I took some time to digest this story and one thing really stands out to me. If the cops come up on a car with two people unconscious inside, shouldn't their first reaction be to make sure they are alright? If they are unconscious and not responding, shouldn't your first instinct as a police officer that is SUPPOSED to help and serve people to , you know, try and help them to make sure they are alright? I get the big reaction is that they shot two sleeping/unconscious people in a car and that is just so absurd but for some reason it makes it even worse for me that their collective first response wasn't to make sure they weren't in trouble or needed help from poisoning, car fumes, etc. Theres talk about them being jumpy and trigger happy but i feel them missing the most basic and important part of their job as not just one officer but a collective on the scene was totally not even a thought process for them, when dealing with a black couple.

So I took some time to digest this story and one thing really stands out to me. If the cops come up on a car with two people unconscious inside, shouldn't their first reaction be to make sure they are alright? If they are unconscious and not responding, shouldn't your first instinct as a police officer that is SUPPOSED to help and serve people to , you know, try and help them to make sure they are alright? I get the big reaction is that they shot two sleeping/unconscious people in a car and that is just so absurd but for some reason it makes it even worse for me that their collective first response wasn't to make sure they weren't in trouble or needed help from poisoning, car fumes, etc. Theres talk about them being jumpy and trigger happy but i feel them missing the most basic and important part of their job as not just one officer but a collective on the scene was totally not even a thought process for them, when dealing with a black couple.
They claim they saw a firearm inside the vehicle with the unconscious couple, then retreated to cover. That part makes sense, the rest doesnt, even if the woman woke up and grabbed the gun in her lap, you dont just light everything up in a matter of seconds.
Weve seen countless examples of cops talking down white people with guns. This black couple was simply not afforded that opportunity and given zero leniency.

Man, stop bullying police officers. They felt threatened, the two suspects not making the slightest move was suspicious. If they really were sleeping, the gunshots would've woke them up. We need the full story.

America is going to implode at one point or another if only because many of its police officers still believe they are at war against something.

Fuck this god damn country man. I want to move so bad. I'm not even black, but I got my ass whooped by three - four cops who felt "threatened" by me, in my own house. Damn near killed me. I'm the one who got in trouble, not them. They can literally do whatever they want, and get away with it because of a piece of shit badge and suit they were.

Ponn

Banned
They claim they saw a firearm inside the vehicle with the unconscious couple, then retreated to cover. That part makes sense, the rest doesnt, even if the woman woke up and grabbed the gun in her lap, you dont just light everything up in a matter of seconds.
Weve seen countless examples of cops talking down white people with guns. This black couple was simply not afforded that opportunity and given zero leniency.

I'm hesitant about this whole saw a gun thing. Regardless it makes more sense to me if they saw a gun and see two people unconscious in a car not responding to them that they would want to check on them even more to see if they were shot, suicide attempt, etc. Are they able to have guns and carry them legally in this particular state? The total lack of empathy is very disturbing and telling, borderline sociopath.

Damn... I just.... I just can't. Fuck everything about this, man... Fuck...
Nah, the particularly frustrating thing is that even that first part doesn't make sense, and in particular the way it doesn't make any sense. If they were close enough to see a gun in the car, they'd be close enough to see the couple were unconscious. And that aside, considering this is the USA where owning guns is hailed as the king of all rights above all other rights, so what if they had a gun? That's nothing unusual and there's no reason it should flag alarm bells which how prevalent and commonplace guns are in the States. How the 2nd is put on a pedestal to that extent but then just magically vanishes when cops are involved, especially (and almost always) in cop-minority situations, is infuriating in such a blatant display of inequalities and the forces at work it is.

Nothing about this makes sense, and there's absolutely no reason any of this should have turned out the way it did. From top to bottom this entire situation is fucked. :(

Damn, I really need to go out for some air... This one just really has me going even though I know it's tragically just business as usual, but still. Man... :(

nel e nel

#staywoke takes on a whole new meaning apparently.

This takes on a whole new meaning as well

m_1485648_h0geplXHnZYa.jpg

Yeah 2nd amendment is clearly a white man's right. Seems damn near every instance a black person with a gun encounters a cop, the end result is death for the black person, whether 12 years old, unconscious, or carrying a toy gun.

Fuck #alllivesmatter, this shit here is the fruit of their labor.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
At this point wouldn't it be easier to just summarize it to "Exist while black."?

Fucking shameful, kids just lost their parents for no fucking reason.

Even if they were awake, how the hell can anyone justify shooting at someone for refusing to get out of a car? Even if it was a real 'standoff', and they had just come from robbing a bank or something, I still don't see how you justify opening fire at people sitting in a car.

That was the dumbest quote ever. What does it even mean ?!! 🤔🤔🤔💩💩💩
Not sure if serious.

Genius has the answer
A truly classic rap line evoking ghetto drug dealers' “one eye open” sense of paranoia; perhaps inspired by the Talmud (which tells us sleep is 1/60th of death) or the Iliad (where Hypnos and Thanatos – i.e., “sleep” and “death” – are described as brothers)

This line’s 1st degree meaning is evident: sleep is a deathlike, inert state of consciousness

At the 2nd degree, “sleeping” is slang for being inattentive or negligent; a drug dealer who is robbed for lack of vigilance is said to be “caught sleeping”

Nas never “sleeps” – i.e., he’s never “caught sleeping” – because being an easy target could lead him to getting shot to death.

And, to top it all off, what’s New York City’s nickname? (The city that never sleeps)

Crosseyes

Banned
Every case I hope that this is the one so egregious that the courts will put hold people accountable. Vigilatism is really the only way these cops will ever have a realistic chance to recieve consequences.

So 2 black people and 1 gun. Both dead. Even IF one of them was reaching for the gun (in their sleep of course) why would you kill the other person? Let me guess, were they shouting shoot the cops in their sleep too?

Fuck this shit. I know justice is rare but i hope these cops fucking rot. 7 fucking kids lost their parent over stupidity.

TalonJH

The news report says the couple were not conscious. Seems obvious to me this was no naturally occurring sleep,something knocked them out. Looking at the picture of the scene, the car is in driving lane on the street, not by the curb, so that explains why the cops were called in the first place.

Theres still a ton of questions about why they were killed by a literal firing squad though.

Do you have a link to the pictures of the scene?

So 2 black people and 1 gun. Both dead. Even IF one of them was reaching for the gun (in their sleep of course) why would you kill the other person? Let me guess, were they shouting shoot the cops in their sleep too?

Fuck this shit. I know justice is rare but i hope these cops fucking rot. 7 fucking kids lost their parent over stupidity.
They peppered the car with bullets.Dude had no chance of not getting shot. Now his babies grow up with no father.

Every case I hope that this is the one so egregious that the courts will put hold people accountable. Vigilatism is really the only way these cops will ever have a realistic chance to recieve consequences.

Oh, I'm sure some scumbags will find a way to defend it, Mayor Butts already gave them the headstart.

Dunlop

I'm at a loss for words.

I remember a long time ago there was a aggressive person in a car that actually clipped a police officer with his car when they asked him to exit the vehicle.

It was in a parking lot so he could not speed off so they fired pepper spray into the slightly open driver side window and at the bottom of the windshield (I assume this pulls it into the air vents?) which forced the guy out of the car.

Officer taken away in a ambulance, dude was arrested

Kill count: 0

I'm in Canada though

I know we read all of these sensational articles, but surely US police are trained in non lethal tactics?!?! Expecially in a situation like this were it was over an extended period of time which allowed for planning

Henkka

Banned
I can sympathize with cops in the US being constantly on edge because there's guns everywhere, but this is fucking ridiculous.

watershed

Banned
There is no doubt more to this story but the human tragedy will remain the same. The article in the OP states that the car was parked and the couple was asleep. It says the cops tried to rouse them and after failing to do so, shot and killed them both for some reason. It still makes no sense.

Nikodemos

I can sympathize with cops in the US being constantly on edge because there's guns everywhere, but this is fucking ridiculous.
Funny thing is, I don't remember cops coming out in any notable number in favour of increased general gun controls.

Friggz

There is no doubt more to this story but the human tragedy will remain the same. The article in the OP states that the car was parked and the couple was asleep. It says the cops tried to rouse them and after failing to do so, shot and killed them both for some reason. It still makes no sense.

it doesnt need to make sense. cops are fucking stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom