• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops in standoff w/couple in car shoot them dead...turns out the couple was sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bossun

What a weird story.

It's true that is weird that the victims didn't wake up after 45 minutes of police officers yelling at you, setting a barricade and everything. You can be a heavy sleeper but still....

What happened after the call? Did the police immediately came to the car with a whole squadron or what?
Didn't they think of sending someone to do the most logical thing in this situation? Knock on the glass and asking what's going on?

Did they seriously looked at sleeping/still people for 45 minutes and didn't realize anything? That's the most ridiculous thing done by stupid people i've heard...

I think the crazies thing about this already crazy, sad, and downright ludicrous situation is that there wasn't just a lone officer panicking at the thought of these drunken brutes turning their imaginary weapons on him, it was an entire SWAT team that was called in. And this team somehow managed to talk themselves into these two people in the car being an absolute menace.

[*speculation time*]OR, one trigger happy idiot fired off a round, spooked everyone else, and prompted the bloodbath. A big part of me would like to believe it was just one bad apple spoiling the bunch. But the cops would never admit to something like that. Because it would cost at least one officer his job, and make the entire department liable for negligence. The blue wall offers no sacrifices, especially not from the LAPD.

Amazingly enough, reading the comment sections for the news articles, you can already see the public defense force has formed for the cop's side of the story. Even if no weapon is ever found, there are people who've already convinced themselves that the shooting was justified. And these are the people who frequently end up on our grand juries and juries.

Someone pointed out to me that this website has been known to post BS stories. A lot of what's mentioned here sounds really ridiculous. Do we have more proof this is a legitimate story?

Someone pointed out to me that this website has been known to post BS stories. A lot of what's mentioned here sounds really ridiculous. Do we have more proof this is a legitimate story?

NBC posts BS stories? The LA times posts BS stories?

But hey why actually read the OP when you can have others point things out for you?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You mean like the NBC news article and TV report linked in both the article and the OP?

As expected, there haven't been riots over this to use for trying to demonize blacks and call them thugs, so I haven't seen any national news on it.

UrbanRats

After admitting that the couple was asleep, Butts quickly defended the officers, noting, “Obviously at some point they were conscious because somebody felt threatened.”
Obviously they first threatened the police, THEN decided to both take a nap in the middle of the stand off.
This makes complete logical sense.

geetec

Neo Member
x6AnRkL.png

Seriously, I don't even...
I get being a cop isn't easy, being on edge 24/7 can get to you but... Agh..
I feel bad for the kids.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
If I saw some people that don't react to anything for 45 minutes my first instinct would be to break open that door and get an ambulance. Not shoot them. FFS, America. Get rid of the guns, then your cops win't have any lame excuses anymore.

Dryk

If I saw some people that don't react to anything for 45 minutes my first instinct would be to break open that door and get an ambulance. Not shoot them. FFS, America. Get rid of the guns, then your cops win't have any lame excuses anymore.
As anti-gun as I am the guns aren't the problem here. Cops all around the world carry guns but don't have these problems.

They need to be held accountable, they need to have respect for their positions and above all they need to remember that their fucking job is to put their life on the line to protect civilians and not the other way around.

entremet

This story literally makes no sense. Surely the only way to tell if the couple were sleeping is if one of the cops had ascertained that fact before shooting.

Wow, what the fuck?

Seriously, get your shit together, America.

Body cams were always a bandaid solution.

These issues are much deeper than body cams can solve.

Paracelsus

Terrible. Someone mentioned the other day how the GTAV police is unrealistic for shooting at your avatar just for standing still in front of them. I suspect rockstar was ahead of the curve.

But yeah, either you jail them for murder or lock them away for paranoid schizophrenia.

This story literally makes no sense. Surely the only way to tell if the couple were sleeping is if one of the cops had ascertained that fact before shooting.

That's what I was thinking. Does anybody here know if autopsies can tell if someone was murdered in their sleep, because otherwise this seems to suggest that they were aware that the couple was asleep when the shooting started.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Yes! That's easier. It gets so hard when you have to start looking at individuals separately. It's much easier when you just put them into groups.

Different PD, but same old story of enablers. I guess there's at least ONE there we could look at individually.

K4oMaW4.jpg

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Cops becoming a firing squad once one member opens fire is a deliberate pig tactic to help cover blame. The cherry on top is the "felt threatened at some point" and "well he committed a crime 7 years ago" bullshit they divulged after the story was picked up by the news.

Classic police work.

This will hopefully prompt the younger less indoctrinated generation to get even more adamantly involved in our governmental structural nightmare, and push our unchecked, negligent, racist and bloodthirsty police force to the top of the list of issues that have to change immediately, with extreme scrutiny. I see no other positives in this situation, I hope some kind of karma or what have you balances out the lives of these children

Mass One

You got me. We should just start putting everybody into classes or groups.

Why are you acting like People were born into police. They have unions and power and receive taxes. And all of them should be held accountable. All of them should be as vocal against the injustices that their uniforms commit. Problem is none of them will speak up and and as such they're all complacent and deserve no lenience, no respect, no trust.

I see your what your trying to equate with your previous comments. Its nonsense and you know it.

Why are you acting like People were born into police. They have unions and power and receive taxes. And all of them should be held accountable. All of them should be as vocal against the injustices that their uniforms commit. Problem is none of them will speak up and and as such they're all complacent and deserve no lenience, no respect, no trust.

I see your what your trying to equate with your previous comments. Its nonsense and you know it.

Police choose to be in that profession for a million different reasons. You cant start to group them all together. I was just trying to get that point across. It's very dangerous to put people or their professions into groups. I don't think it's a huge stretch to compare the two.

Mass One

Police choose to be in that profession for a million different reasons. You cant start to group them all together. I was just trying to get that point across. It's very dangerous to put people or their professions into groups. I don't think it's a huge stretch to compare the two.

Yes you certainly can group a profession together. They are no longer individuals under the uniform. Because they are professionals they should call each other out. Every other profession does it. Dentist, Psychologist, Truck Drivers. You can see the individual sure. But I'm not lumping individuals, I'm lumping the professionals, the uniforms together. You aren't born a police officer, you choose it.

The Adder

Banned

Point me to a cop who spoke out against other cops and wasn't fired, ostracized, or killed by cops.

When you fail to do that, maybe you'll have some understanding.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Corrupt organisations are corrupt organisations, If your a part of an organisation that's corrupt, does nothing to help fix the organisation and are implicit in it's cover up you will inevitable bare some of the blame by association. Every single evil and corrupt orgnisation in existence has "innocent people" who come under fire by association.

The reason why people blanket blame the police are because the police are fundamentally corrupt, it's not even a maybe it's just a fact. Because the people in power are corrupt the organization is corrupt you won't make any headway until the organisation is fundamentally changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom