• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Couchjockeyz rumor: MP3, DLNA coming in later PS4 firmware update

Jburton

Banned
This conversation?

mt0SzBT.jpg

Yeah that was the one I saw, no idea of its authenticity.

satam55

Banned
Surely the lack of audio CD support is a hardware rather than software issue? Audio CD/DVD/Blu-ray all require different hardware to do what they do. I suppose it is possible that they've included the hardware for CDs but I'm not sure why they would,
Audio CD playback can be patched in. It's not a hardware issue.

Kinyou

does not mention about what video formats are supported,

and just because movie unlimited supports mp4, does not mean it will play them from other sources.

I would of thought the video support on PS4 would of matched PS3's extensive video support, Hopefully it will sooner rather than later.
It also doesn't mention if you can still copy video files onto the hard drive, which is a feature I would really, really miss

they need to get the suspend/resume in sleep mode first, that should be the priority. It needs to be in the next update or 2. Anything else to come with it is great but getting that fixed should be priority, other than major bugs.

JP

I've not read any confirmation that the PS4 contains the CD specific hardware. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that information from? Hopefully it does but the PS4 containing the relevant hardware to read DVDs and Blu-rays doesn't mean it will also have the required hardware inside to read CDs. You require very different diodes for each of the three formats.

Skeff

Does media include PC screen sharing? Because that would be very beneficial. If not it's still damn nice.

No, it's essentially a way to play Music/Video/Pictures that are on your PC directly on your console, It's really handy if you have a lot of video files on your PC and want to watch them on your TV without a really long HDMI cable.

I've not read any confirmation that the PS4 contains the CD specific hardware. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that information from? Hopefully it does but the PS4 containing the relevant hardware to read DVDs and Blu-rays doesn't mean it will also have the required hardware inside to read CDs. You require very different diodes for each of the three formats.

I don't think anyone has made blu ray drives that don't support CD's on a hardware level since 2006.

No, it's essentially a way to play Music/Video/Pictures that are on your PC directly on your console, It's really handy if you have a lot of video files on your PC and want to watch them on your TV without a really long HDMI cable.

I don't think anyone has made blu ray drives that don't support CD's on a hardware level since 2006.

Oh okay, yeah that's definitely very handy. It wouldn't benefit me a whole lot but I see how it would for others.

androvsky

You seem really confident of that, given we have more hints that the PS4 can't play CDs than hints that it can. The official specs sheet doesn't mention CD capability at all, so what are you getting this from? That one translated interview I posted?
The fact that the PS4 plays Blu-rays, DVDs, & will have VOD services IS confirmation of codec support.
It confirms the codecs are on the system, yes, but it doesn't confirm we'll have a generic video player that plays regular movie files. For all we know, the Video Unlimited app is the only way to play PSN movies, which wouldn't be surprising given that's exactly what they did with music.

JP

It does seem very unlikely to me but when questioned about it they've aways given a very definite "no" rather than 'not currently". Although it's not a great saving it is a way of saving manufacturing costs and they did remove the SA-CD hardware from the later PS3 models to save money.

Hopefully I'm wrong, it doesn't affect me as I love my current CD set up and I don't like custom soundtracks in games but I do prefer that people have the option to do it if they want to.

satam55

Banned
You seem really confident of that, given we have more hints that the PS4 can't play CDs than hints that it can. The official specs sheet doesn't mention CD capability at all, so what are you getting this from? That one translated interview I posted?

Have you EVER heard of a Blu-ray or DVD player/drive that can't physically read CDs? It's software. Sony just needs to patch in CD playback.

mitchman

Gold Member
You are both crazy. The only way this is possible is when using a Media Server that encodes the MKV on the fly.

It only needs to change the container from mkv to mp4, it won't need to change the format inside it, provided it's a supported h264 format.

Yes but still that makes it imposible to just use DLNA or a USB HDD for watching MKV, you'll need something like PS3 Media Server or TVersity and that's mostly horrible.

Crisco

Banned
"The biggest surprise for us all internally at Sony was; there were so many people who passionately reacted to our announcement that there's no MP3 support and DLNA support on day one," said Yoshida.

This basically confirms that they do absolutely zero usage tracking on the PS3.

dcx4610

Yoshida really seemed to be shocked in the GB interview by the amount of feedback caused by lack of DLNA and MP3.

He believably said that they weren't trying to push Music Unlimited rather than media features just weren't a focus and they never heard anybody ever talk about them. Now that you take it away, you hear that people used it so it will be put back in.

It really feels like both systems are rushed and they didn't have time to get everything ready. I guess that's just the nature of business nowadays. Get your product out there and patch it as you go. Even Nintendo is guilty now and they were notoriously conservative before shipping hardware previously.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Thats awesome!

Now, about being able to change your PS user name.....

RedAssedApe

Banned
so "pre-order cancelled" meme...being taken seriously lol

good job guys. now let's all bitch about hbogo, espn, and youtube apps :D (sup shu)

Yoshida really seemed to be shocked in the GB interview by the amount of feedback caused by lack of DLNA and MP3.

He believably said that they weren't trying to push Music Unlimited rather than media features just weren't a focus and they never heard anybody ever talk about them. Now that you take it away, you hear that people used it so it will be put back in.

It really feels like both systems are rushed and they didn't have time to get everything ready. I guess that's just the nature of business nowadays. Get your product out there and patch it as you go. Even Nintendo is guilty now and they were notoriously conservative before shipping hardware previously.

It really doesn't make much sense. I can understand taking away things like the OS feature on the PS3 and even SACD because not many use it but no mp3 support and CD playback on the PS4?

"The biggest surprise for us all internally at Sony was there are so many people who passionately reacted to our announcement that there's no MP3 support or CD support on day one. It's not like we actively decided 'let's not do this feature so people will have to subscribe to Music Unlimited,'" he said. "The focus has been more on the game features. Some of the features we wanted but we couldn't get in on day one."

Yet they managed to get the Music Unlimited service ready? This guy is super smooth, that's for sure.

Yoshida went on to confirm, "So as we speak, the teams in Japan and US - the systems guys - are discussing how and when we can put these features on PS4."

So any idea how hard and how much effort it takes to offer mp3 support? That isn't even a confirmation of when it's coming.

mitchman

Gold Member
For other hand is good to know they didn't track (aka spy on your console to get this kind of data).

Asking every 100 or 1000 user to opt-in for such a usage tracking would be perfectly fine and is commonly used among popular software such as web browsers, provided user knows what information is being sent and that it's completely anonymous.

mitchman

Gold Member
So any idea how hard and how much effort it takes to offer mp3 support? That isn't even a confirmation of when it's coming.

They already have hardware decoding of mp3 for use in games, so it's a matter of taking the old cd player source code with visualizations and porting it from ps3 to ps4. 2-3 weeks for a team of 5 including bugfixing is my guesstimate.

Top Bottom