• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could DS4 do for next gen what the 360 controller was for last gen?

UNCMark

Banned
I'm surprised to hear the Xbox One D-pad is still sub-par. For all the money they bragged about spending on improvements, they still glossed over it.

I didn't get to play a game with it, but I used it. It's nice and clicky but imo it's indented too far. Vast improvement over the original 360 dpad. Tiny improvement over the "improved" 360 dpad. Nowhere near the same level as the DS3 dpad, which itself isn't on the same level as the Vita dpad.

what genres do you play most? I don't play fps/tps so things like dual analog/triggers mean nothing outside of character action for me. For pad players in a fighting game I would consider the ds3 the only viable option unless you learn the nuances of 360 dpad(which I despise). classics and platformers are also great with ds3, because of its dpad.

I play pretty much every genre out there except for fighting and sports games.

The ergonomics was by far the biggest problem for me with the DS3, much more so than the shitty analogs and triggers. The DS3 was simply unbearably uncomfortable to use.

The fact that the X1 controller looks like a step back and the DS4 looks like a step forward for me definitely played into my decision of which system to buy at launch. So, maybe?

I don't know where this narrative about a "step back" about the Xbox controller comes from. It's essentially the same with some subtle (rumble triggers for example) improvements. For me, the DS is way too small for somebody like me with large hands and is a huge reason I won't be purchasing the PS4 early. The DS3 is unbearable and they made no big changes with the DS4.

I'm waiting out the next-gen (got enough current gen stuff to keep me busy for a while) but these false narratives are hilarious.

Mindlog

The touchpad is a nice touch feature for Big Screen gaming, but that's a half-measure compared to what SteamRoller is bringing to the table.

I'm going to own both options, but they will struggle to replace my 360 controller until they get a decent chatpad. I use mine consistently. Very underrated peripheral.
Ni3AXEl.jpg

Iacobellis

DS4 looks like the DS3 with a touchpad. If that does anything, we'll see. I remember Sony was saying that the gyroscope in the DS3 would play a big part in games...yeah.

Depends on if devs are willing to work with it.

Well touch screens have revolutionized modern devices, so I think the new Touch Pad will make a difference for developers.

nynt9

I don't know; I think it's interesting that Valve also opted for symmetry. I've never really believed in the offset sticks, although they don't really give me any trouble.

It is strange that the ambidextrous argument doesn't come up more often.

It's funny because Microsoft are the only major player in the gamepad game that still make non-symmetrical sticks. Sony use symmetrical sticks, Nintendo use symmetrical sticks (both on WiiU gamepad and Pro controller), Valve will be using symmetrical "sticks". Personally, as a person who has owned all of the major non-Sega consoles since the NES, I think the symmetrical layout is way more comfortable. But then again I don't use gamepads for shooters, I tend to play those on PC.

I don't know where this narrative about a "step back" about the Xbox controller comes from. It's essentially the same with some subtle (rumble triggers for example) improvements. For me, the DS is way too small for somebody like me with large hands and is a huge reason I won't be purchasing the PS4 early. The DS3 is unbearable and they made no big changes with the DS4.

I'm waiting out the next-gen (got enough current gen stuff to keep me busy for a while) but these false narratives are hilarious.

The DS4 is quite different than the DS3, and significantly larger. Quite a bit of the "narrative" about the Xbox controller being worse comes from the fact that the shape has changed, the insides of the handles are sharper and thus not as comfortable.

wlCtRPS.jpg

This video shows really good closeups shots of the Dualshock 4 and compares it with the Dualshock 3. I don't think we have anything to worry about. The DS4 looks soooo much better than that creaky old tiny DS3.

Abounder

Banned
It's funny because Microsoft are the only major player in the gamepad game that still make non-symmetrical sticks. Sony use symmetrical sticks, Nintendo use symmetrical sticks (both on WiiU gamepad and Pro controller), Valve will be using symmetrical "sticks". Personally, as a person who has owned all of the major non-Sega consoles since the NES, I think the symmetrical layout is way more comfortable. But then again I don't use gamepads for shooters, I tend to play those on PC.

The DS4 is quite different than the DS3, and significantly larger. Quite a bit of the "narrative" about the Xbox controller being worse comes from the fact that the shape has changed, the insides of the handles are sharper and thus not as comfortable.

Conversely I think Sony is the only major player that features the d-pad in the neutral resting position. Seems like every other controller has the thumbstick where Sony's d-pad is, and for good reason because after the n64 generation the d-pad has been an afterthought. FPS have mouse and keyboard, 2d enthusiasts have arcade sticks.

The new PS4 controller does look pretty awesome though however I'd put money on the Steam controller changing things up more than anything from the big 3 so far

This generation I had a 360 before I had a PS3, but at the end of the day, give me a dualshock3.

Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on the DS4.

Well touch screens have revolutionized modern devices, so I think the new Touch Pad will make a difference for developers.

Using a touch pad is a pretty different experience from a touch screen. It's indirect control versus direct (where you can see exactly what you're interacting with)

martino

wlCtRPS.jpg

I agree but used as most used inputs with triggers nowadays wii u (and the steam controler) implementation is far better that the patchy one inherited from ps1 pad.
but it's common for interface designer (in general) to be confronted to denial of change when it impact habit even if it's for better one / modern needs.

I had the chance to try both at E3 earlier this year and i am getting both systems so this is just my personal opinion.

The 360 controller i believed was designed perfectly for FPS games and FPS titles are much better with that controller as oppose to DS3.

I felt using the new xbox one controller that it was not as comfortable as current controller but it was not bad, the bottom just felt different and not as comfortable as what i am used to.

DS4 felt a bit different but nothing major, for some reason i prefer the buttons on the xbox controllers and feel the DS3 and DS4 buttons are a bit low.

i like the analog placement on xbox controller but i know sony will not touch that part of the controller

I just think they look way too similar and not actually better in terms of color coding.

Going between systems and getting QTE's is still going to bring out the 'where the fuck is triangle' response, as the same thing happens with "press A" on the Xbox360 controller: Pressing red instead.

That SNES PAL color coding. ^__^

DS3 > 360 controller
The DS3's d-pad is vastly superior to the 360's, but the triggers are worse.

I didn't get to play a game with it, but I used it. It's nice and clicky but imo it's indented too far. Vast improvement over the original 360 dpad. Tiny improvement over the "improved" 360 dpad. Nowhere near the same level as the DS3 dpad, which itself isn't on the same level as the Vita dpad.
It would be nice if it were no longer cripplingly poor for genres that depend on a good d-pad.

nynt9

I agree but used as most used inputs with triggers nowadays wii u (and the steam controler) implementation is far better that the patchy one inherited from ps1 pad.
but it's common for interface designer (in general) to be confronted to denial of change when it impact habit even if it's for better one / modern needs.

Nintendo went from WTF (N64) to non-symmetrical (Gamecube) to WTF (Wii) to symmetrical (WiiU). If there's anything you can't accuse Nintendo of, it would be not innovating and pushing forward in their control mechanisms.

The DS4 controller is still a shitty controller like the ones before it. The analog stick layout is still horrible, the joypad still feel disconnected. I still get cramp after holding it for more then ten minutes. So there was no improvements made.

martino

Nintendo went from WTF (N64) to non-symmetrical (Gamecube) to WTF (Wii) to symmetrical (WiiU). If there's anything you can't accuse Nintendo of, it would be not innovating and pushing forward in their control mechanisms.

it's why i'm saying their choice of implementation of symetrical is best / actual need in games.
Far better that the patchy one sony will never cause of their crying core who can't stand to change habit.

UNCMark

Banned

Wouldn't agree with this at all. Touchscreens are nothing at all like touchpads. If my laptop had an analog stick on it, I'd most likely never use the touchpad on it. Hopefully some devs find a good use for it.

Gestault

That had more to do with the fact that MS had official drivers for the 360 so it was plug and play as opposed to having to download specific software to get the DS3 to work, not quality and appeal.

Uhh...sure. That's one theory. Can you think of an alternative controller that was better that was available? I feel like "functional" isn't enough to explain the broad support it's seen.

For a start, Sony needs to put out PC drivers for the DS4. A major part of the 360 controller success was that it was also THE PC gamepad this generation.

Edit: Ah, I haven't kept up with the news. This is pretty promising.

level44

The DS4 controller is still a shitty controller like the ones before it. The analog stick layout is still horrible, the joypad still feel disconnected. I still get cramp after holding it for more then ten minutes. So there was no improvements made.

Someone's just realised the 360 pad isn't top dog anymore...

Enectic

Banned
My ideal controller would have been the 360 controller, SYMMETRICAL LAYOUT, and with PS3 face buttons/D pad.

The fact that people still say asymmetrical is the best layout as fact pisses me off. It's still preference.

Sort of like this?

OnLive_Wireless_Controller_610x467.jpg

Love the controller. It's my main PC controller, unfortunately doesn't support XInput but I haven't ran across a game that x360ce doesn't work perfectly on. The whole asymmetrical/symmetrical layout never bothered me as I find it pretty easy to switch between either layout. What really bothered me about the DS3 was the actual size, shape, and tension of the sticks. I also thought the controller felt a bit small in my hands and I did not like the triggers at all. The PS4 controller looks to be a great improvement and I can't wait to try it out.

martino

if you think of ds (all of the pad) it's not the more ergonomic
put your hand at rest.
Look the angle between your thumbs and forefinger.
reach ps stick .note the angle change and the muscle contraction for neutral position....
this muscle contraction for neutral position is an ergonomic default.
but you can still love it cause you have the habit.
one of the xbone (and 360) stick is more ergonomic than all ds one.
all stick on the wii u are more ergonomic.

so yes top dog has change ....last years.(and maybe steam controler with do more)

level44

Guys, my comment was just a friendly dig because the guy was stressing out so much about the DS4 being better. Nothing personal.
Also the soldier? What does that mean haha

Guys, my comment was just a friendly dig because the guy was stressing out so much about the DS4. Nothing personal.

The fact that you assumed I was stressing out over a controller makes you a laughable character.

IvorB

I think people that find the Dualshock uncomfortable are not holding it right. You're not supposed to grip the handles tightly in the palms of your hands. The handles should rest lightly on your fingers. I don't see how anyone can complain that the Dualshock is uncomfortable.

Gestault

Guys, my comment was just a friendly dig because the guy was stressing out so much about the DS4 being better. Nothing personal.

lol, sorry, I picked the Polish movie poster for A Bridge Too Far because I wanted to be a little obscure, but I guess it killed the joke for like, 80% of the board here. I was just saying it's a little early to declare any of the new controllers "king" yet until we've had some time with them.

People who are bitching about the DS4 either havent held one ( I did yesterday-finally), or as someone else put it: are holding the controller wrong.

Well done Sony-

Frillen

Most people who owns both the PS3 and the 360 thinks the the 360 controller is the best, me included. It just sits in your hands way better than the DS3. The DS4 looks like a huge improvement though.

Pain

Banned

These narratives comes from people who have had hands-on time with these controllers. There's plenty out there for you to read. Both the DS4 and the XB1 pad are changed for their previous versions. The DS4 from what I've read has the most significant improvements in terms of ergonomics and just overall comfort. I've heard similar stories about the XB1 but I've also heard it feels worse.

Robotziane

Neo Member
To anyone who has tried the DS4 - are the buttons of better quality. Past dual shock 3 controllers used to develop a squeaking noise when pressed down that drove me nuts.

Gestault

Most people who owns both the PS3 and the 360 thinks the the 360 controller is the best, me included. It just sits in your hands way better than the DS3. The DS4 looks like a huge improvement though.

This pretty much sums me up. For the DS4, the smaller dead-zone on the analog sticks with a little more distance between them and better L2/R2 buttons are enough right there to make me happy.

Pain

Banned
if you think of ds (all of the pad) it's not the more ergonomic
put your hand at rest.
Look the angle between your thumbs and forefinger.
reach ps stick .note the angle change and the muscle contraction for neutral position....
this muscle contraction for neutral position is an ergonomic default.
but you can still love it cause you have the habit.
one of the xbone (and 360) stick is more ergonomic than all ds one.
all stick on the wii u are more ergonomic.

so yes top dog has change ....last years.(and maybe steam controler with do more)
You do know this thread is talking about the DS4 and the Xbox one right? Last-gen preferences won't apply here. There's plenty of impressions that put the DS4 as the best controller for next-gen. This is coming from people who have tried both. I'm assuming you haven't tried either.

UNCMark

Banned

Slow down. We haven't tried the Valve controller yet. It may or may not surpass the 360 controller.

To anyone who has tried the DS4 - are the buttons of better quality. Past dual shock 3 controllers used to develop a squeaking noise when pressed down that drove me nuts.

I'd like to know that as well. I detest the DS3 buttons. The squeek comes from them rubbing against the plastic casing, which also has the unfortunate side effect of making the buttons feel like they may stick in the down position. Horrible design.

People who are bitching about the DS4 either havent held one ( I did yesterday-finally), or as someone else put it: are holding the controller wrong.

Well done Sony-

This is comedy.

I think people that find the Dualshock uncomfortable are not holding it right. You're not supposed to grip the handles tightly in the palms of your hands. The handles should rest lightly on your fingers. I don't see how anyone can complain that the Dualshock is uncomfortable.

I don't grip the handles tight and it doesn't matter where the controller sits on my hand.

The buttons seem fine from my time with them at Eurogamer Expo, of course I wouldn't be able to hear the squeaking sound with all the noise that was going on at the convention.

UF_C

Banned
I always found the 360 controller to feel sturdy in my hands. When i tried the XB1, it just felt skinnier than its predecessors, almost flimsy in a way. I don't know if the ONE's new controller is actually thinner than the 360 version, but it sure felt that way.

This is comedy.

I don't grip the handles tight and it doesn't matter where the controller sits on my hand.

The buttons seem fine from my time with them at Eurogamer Expo, of course I wouldn't be able to hear the squeaking sound with all the noise that was going on at the convention.

do they still feel like the pressure sensitive buttons? i love the feel of DS face buttons and hope they dont feel like the 360 ones now

It seems that the DS4 is useable as a basic controller in Windows which is great, now I just want games to have changeable button prompts for each controller. It not a big deal if I'm using a DS4 and Xbox button icons constantly pop up, but it'd get annoying after a while.

do they still feel like the pressure sensitive buttons? i love the feel of DS face buttons and hope they dont feel like the 360 ones now

They are now digital buttons, not pressure-sensitive. I'm surprised they stuck with that design for so long, actually. Not a lot of games used it, and I always found trying to half-way push a face button was mostly futile anyway

Edit: sorry for the double post

Sky78

Banned

wlCtRPS.jpg

Seriously mate, that narrative came from someone who had never touched the X1 pad. They've looked at a photo and made a bad inference.

The only edge on that pad is on the top front of the grips. Your fingers get nowhere near it. It's a purely aesthetic design choice.

I mean really, just imagine fingers curving all the way around the pad and gripping around the front edge! Even as someone with freakishly long fingers that sounds absurd to me. You'd need to bring your fore finger around to achieve that grip, rendering the pad unusable.

The entire back of the pad, the part you actually touch, is contoured and curved, just like the DS4 but both in different ways. The DS4 is more like the 360 grips in that you grip around them, the X1 grips are designed to spread your hands out more openly, and while I liked both pads, and both were comfy, the added comfort of the grip style of the X1 pad was much more to my tastes.

That's what it's going to come down to - taste - both pads imo are better than the 360 pad, which was very good. Some will lean to one, some to another, but any objective party will agree both are good.

When I read people saying one or the other is trash, having tried both, I just mentally mark them down as a console war-ist and move on.

Top Bottom