• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cowen downgrades EA's stock as it thinks Titanfall 2's sales will be disappointing

Guymelef

From PAL sales thread, thanks Bruno.

[Week 43, 2016] 04 (NE) TITANFALL 2 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) < 52,000

Xbox One (57%) < 30,000
PlayStation 4 (41%) < 21,000
PC (2%) < 1,000

[Week 11, 2014] XBO TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 118,000 / NEW
[Week 11, 2014] PC TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 7,000 / NEW
[Week 15, 2014] 360 TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 28,000 / NEW

Hopefully it sells well, its getting good reviews and has even got me interested in purchasing it as my next game with all the attention its gotten.

Yeah, hopefully it has legs, but damn. It might do better in the US, but doesn't seem like a game which will necessarily have a lot of appeal outside of typical shooter-centric regions (UK, North America, some European countries, maybe Australia?).

I think Game publishers need to start getting into the habit of finishing a game, and then holding to release it until the time is right. Currently release date is purely a function of finish date, which is problematic-- both in terms of releasing a game before its done, and releasing a game when its a bad time in the market.

Sojgat

Releasing BF1 and TF2 right next to each other always seemed crazy. I'm guessing it's all part of EA's misguided quest to cut into COD's market.

I said it once andI will say it again, why do companies keep releases high profile games at the same time as other high profile games? Not to mention that the competition games are very similar to yours. It just doesn't make sense.

Dante83

Banned
Damn...Going console multiplat did not help them, and the sales are even worse than being a XB1 exclusive. The game is actually damn good and fun too, and this time the SP is actually quite good and very well done...

Gorillaz

August or September release would have done wonders. People only buy 2 or 3 a year the last thing they need is to do is see this up literally next to bf1 and cod

Hyun Sai

But people were saying here that those publishers and devs got TONS of data to back up such a release date right ? They know better !

Whoever thought this release date was a good idea and whoever approved it are just the morons of the year.

Why is everyone pointing just to the release date?

Seems to me the beta had as much to do with the sales performance as anything else.

Jinkies

I can't help but speculate how much bigger Week 1 sales may have been if it were available on stores other than Origin.

Chris1

Seems to me the beta had as much to do with the sales performance as anything else.

Exactly where I'm sitting. I don't think the release date hurt it that much. Sure it hurt it a little, but BF and Titanfall are completely different games and I think people forget both games are EA, they know exactly who plays what and where the overlap lies and how big it is.

The biggest problems is the tech test and that it didn't have Microsoft's marketing machine behind it like TF1.

Menitta

Damnit this is so depressing to me. Titanfall 2 is the best shooter I've played probably ever, and it's got no chance. Guess I'll be playing the shit out of it this month to get as much value as possible.

2cool

Banned
It only got 700 ratings in PSN as of now. Thats pretty bad. Most new AAA games would get like a couple of thousand ratings in the first days, or even before release as now pre-orders can rate too.

On the other Hand I just checked Battlefield One and it "only" got 2300 ratings. But of course they are a stronger franchise on PS4 as they exist longer. So it might not be THAT bad, or sales just are down a bit generally as people wait for new Hardware or just bought VR.

Me personally I would have loved to try a Titanfall 2 Beta I guess I missed it, because I never played the franchise but always was interested in it. Tho I would also really like Bots and a Survival Mode as Modern Warfare games used to have, that would motivate me a lot more to check it out. Besides from that I guess COD did succeed in "stealing" their MP audience quite good by just "copying" some of their gameplay?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I'd say the lack of beta on PC (something they did last time), no server browser (which was a huge complaint from PC players), and the first game dying out within a week of launch sealed it's fate more than anything.

Console sales seem affected by the last one more than the first two, but it's no surprise hardly anyone is buying the PC port. Why spend $60 when the company has no confidence in the sequel to show they fixed the issues people complained about?

Right... there are a list of things that resulted in the performance.

TF2 with a fantastic beta, more highly reviewed, with a bigger spend, and the other issues mentioned would sell very well despite the release date.

Pointing only to release date makes it sound like there's nothing that could have been done to make the game sell well.

Instead, there are many decisions that were made that combined to get the game where it is.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I remember the first game having a huuuuuge marketing campaign (Probably backed by MS), this one not so much.

Hope it does well, the Respawn team is super talented.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I remember the first game having a huuuuuge marketing campaign (Probably backed by MS), this one not so much.

Hope it does well, the Respawn team is super talented.

They've had ads on TV, but that's about it. Even if they did a marketing push PC won't bite when there is no server browser. I remember the last time I tried the first one I got nothing but lag slide-show matches despite being a US cloud (ugh) server. Why buy the second if the first one performs like that?

I can confirm that were it not for having bought Battlefield 1 last week, I would have bought Titanfall 2. In fact, I regret having chosen Battlefield over it.

I will buy the game early next year though, believe me. I need to play that game.

Catdaddy

I thought it was a dumb move to release T2 between veteran franchises Battlefield and CoD, I didn&#8217;t realize until now B1 and TF2 are both EA&#8230; Definitely falls under wtf were they thinking. Should have held that shit until next year&#8230;

John Wick

I really don't understand why Titanfall 2 was released like this.

Lmfao! And people say Sony have no games during the Holiday season. There is a damn good reason why Sony spread their titles around the year. Game looks fantastic and I hope it sells well enough for more titles.

FoxSpirit

But people were saying here that those publishers and devs got TONS of data to back up such a release date right ? They know better !

Whoever thought this release date was a good idea and whoever approved it are just the morons of the year.
What was so bad about the release date? Haven't followed the game so have no clue.

What was so bad about the release date? Haven't followed the game so have no clue.

A week after Battlefield 1 and a week before COD:Infinite Warfare. Same day as Skyrim remaster.

Just a lot of popular games to try and compete with.

Its too bad Respawn/EA didn't treat this more like Overwatch. Give it a 4-5 month, long ass MP beta and invite streamers and more and more users. Tune that shit so its perfect. Overwatch had a beta that lasted like A YEAR and it still sold 10m+ copies at launch. Good betas don't hurt sales. Betas that are short, get received poorly, and skip the PC completely can hurt your launch. Although then again Infinite Warfare will be the one that probably proves me wrong.

Jinaar

Why blame EA and not shitty gamers for constantly funding the CoD Yearly Same Ol' Same Ol' train? Even BF1, it's basically the same game just with a different skin on it (And still not as amazing as BC2 ^_^).

I personally cannot stop playing TF2. BF1 is barely getting any play time, Overwatch is dead, Gears of War 4 gathering a fine layer of dust for MP. It's just the better game right now. And no one is going to buy it. Gamers. What are they good for?

N° 2048

Why blame EA and not shitty gamers for constantly funding the CoD Yearly Same Ol' Same Ol' train? Even BF1, it's basically the same game just with a different skin on it (And still not as amazing as BC2 ^_^).

I personally cannot stop playing TF2. BF1 is barely getting any play time, Overwatch is dead, Gears of War 4 gathering a fine layer of dust for MP. It's just the better game right now. And no one is going to buy it. Gamers. What are they good for?

Holy, post of the fucking day.

I really hope you meant, for you and not in general because Overwatch, BF1 and Gears 4 are some of the most active MP games right now.

Jinaar

Holy, post of the fucking day.

I really hope you meant, for you and not in general because Overwatch, BF1 and Gears 4 are some of the most active MP games right now.

Obviously for me. I'm not stating for anyone else. Sorry it read any other way. My play time for newly released games is all about TF2 now.
(EDIT: Even Dark Souls III DLC I bought but haven't touched. This is just crazy talk now!)

I play COD with some friends and its just easier all agreeing on a single game than suggesting new games and some people don't want to switch etc etc. At this point the COD franchise is established and thinking you are hot shit who is going to take it down is dumb as hell, not much different than Battleborn when it thought it would be fine competing with Overwatch.

BF1 vs T2 is totally personal preference, I much prefer BF1 and its pretty ludicrous to say its just a reskin of BF4 or something. Its wildly different and as of right now there are currently 331k players in it, peak in the last 24 hours was 714k. That is 10 days after launch.

Titanfall 2 is currently at 8k players online on PC, not sure how much peak is across all platforms but I can't imagine its higher than 50k. 3 days after launch.

For comparison, what was TF1's MP numbers at this same point after launch? I know its not exactly fair given the competition and release dates but its better than nothing.

Hopefully its a slow burner and sales eventually pick up because it really is a great game and a big improvement over the first one, which I really didn't like all that much.

I've been playing it most of the afternoon and the campaign is superb.

Chris1

For comparison, what was TF1's MP numbers at this same point after launch? I know its not exactly fair given the competition and release dates but its better than nothing.

Player counters weren't added until well into it's life cycle. When it was added (late 2014) it was around 15-20k on XB1.

Right this minute there are 29K on XB1 on TF2. Yesterday there was about 40K online at this time.

nelchaar

I was so hyped for this game after the beta (one of the few who liked it!) but then BF1 came out and that's all I'm playing.. I still bought TF2, but man it's hard to play 6v6 coming from 32v32. I know it's a differently type of game, but it still gets me.

Hopefully its a slow burner and sales eventually pick up because it really is a great game and a big improvement over the first one, which I really didn't like all that much.

I've been playing it most of the afternoon and the campaign is superb.

As long as positive word of mouth continues I have no concerns about the longevity of the MP community, especially when you take into account all maps/modes will be free in the future. If all of the people who were on the fence about that concern specifically actually purchased the game this would be a total non-issue.

I chose this over BF1 because I'm not down for varying fps drops from sub 30 in some instances up to 60. That kind of judder is unplayable imo and it doesn't hold a solid 60 in any sort of hectic firefight -- where it matters most.

That's sad to hear but releasing this so close to BF1 and Cod: IW made it a nonstarter for me. In the toss up between this and BF1 I chose BF1 because Titanfall 2 simply cannot compare when it comes to destructibles environments, large MP, vehicles and the feel of battle.

I'll probably get CoD: IW before I get Titanfall 2 as well.

I wish it wasn't so, but you can't just come out and command the people's attention, no matter how good you are. The people have to choose you.

Deadbeat

Banned
They've had ads on TV, but that's about it. Even if they did a marketing push PC won't bite when there is no server browser. I remember the last time I tried the first one I got nothing but lag slide-show matches despite being a US cloud (ugh) server. Why buy the second if the first one performs like that?
Dont know why they bothered with a pc version if the plan was to ignore the complaints. Just contractual obligation like cod? Who knows.

joecanada

I got bf1 and TF2, and there's no doubt in my Mind TF2 is the better game so far. Such a shame EA did this to Respawn.

I got tf and no longer need bf1 for a while. And that's a big statement coming from me. Cod? I don't even remember what that is aside from poor servers.
Tf is Fps of the gen for me so far

hollomat

Banned
Looks like they were wrong to downgrade EA. It's up 7% after reporting earnings.

Probably right about Titanfall 2, but battlefield 1 may more than offset it.

Top Bottom