• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot has sold over 2.5 million copies worldwide!

Sponge

Banned
If Rare went with their original idea of remaking Kazooie it would be a major selling point for xbone/PC.

It's crazy that Nuts & Bolts was originally going to be a remake and now Rare can't be bothered to revisit that idea.

Which I guess is fine. Much like Naughty Dog, Rare is not the same Rare from the 90's. Microsoft should hire a passionate new team to tackle Banjo.

2.5 million to an exclusive in that short of a period of time is INSANELY impressive.

Sequel on the way, and Spyro Remaster inbound

PantsuJo

I can't understand how many people didn't belive in Crash trilogy success.

It can'be only haters... maybe lot of GAF users here are very, very young and they don't know a lot about gaming in PS1/PS2...

I mean: nostalgia + right price = perfect result.

Sometimes GAF seems a place in another world, without any real idea on how games sells to casual users. Especially old users raised in PS1 era.

AyzOn

Neo Member
Meanwhile there's no future for Banjo-Kazooie over at Microsoft. Money left on the table.

Hope Spyro is happening next year!

Hopefully Switch too!

Who needs Banjo if you got Conker.

conker.0.png

(Just kidding, I like Banjo as well.)

Stygr

Banned
It isn't too low? The price was ok, the games were ok and the userbase is over 60 million.
Only 2.5 millions are nostalgic fans?

I'm one of the nostalgic fans that bought the game xD

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's crazy that Nuts & Bolts was originally going to be a remake and now Rare can't be bothered to revisit that idea.

I think you'd find that Microsoft won't let Rare revisit that idea. Subsidiaries generally have little creative freedom. It's the parent company that's paying salaries, so it's the parent company that has final say on what moves forward, and those projects tend to be low-risk or otherwise aimed at generating a strong return on investment. Sea of Thieves, a first-person, action-adventure multiplayer game, fits that bill... Banjo-Threeie maybe not so much.

Camjo-Z

Crash was never good! N-no one would buy a new one! 3D PLATFORMERS ARE DEAD!!!!

Meanwhile there's no future for Banjo-Kazooie over at Microsoft. Money left on the table.

Hope Spyro is happening next year!

Heck yes to Spyro, and for the love of god Microsoft take note.

I honestly had no idea people had this kind of nostalgia for Crash.
I liked the series on PS1, but I don't feel the need to ever play them again.

CTR on the other hand I would play the shit out of that.

fortunato

Banned
Very goo, though expected, result.

Crash has a huge legacy as it was one of the top sellers on PS1. Three remastered games sold at a budget price on a hugely successful platform in a slow period... Bingo!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I can't understand how many people didn't belive in Crash trilogy success.

It can'be only haters... maybe lot of GAF users here are very, very young and they don't know a lot about gaming in PS1/PS2...

I mean: nostalgia + right price = perfect result.

Sometimes GAF seems a place in another world, without any real idea on how games sells to casual users. Especially old users raised in PS1 era.
You mean young.

Sponge

Banned
I think you'd find that Microsoft won't let Rare revisit that idea. Subsidiaries generally have little creative freedom. It's the parent company that's paying salaries, so it's the parent company that has final say on what moves forward.

Sadly I think that's the case. They could be thinking why bother funding a 3D platformer when Xbox is likely getting a port of Crash anyway.

I'll be honest: I don't care for Nuts & Bolts but I do think the way it turned out made sense...when you realize that the team that Gregg Mayles and his team, who previously made the first two DKC games before they moved on to Banjo, didn't work on DKC3. That was made by a new less experienced team who went on to work on DK64.

Grant Kirkhope touched upon this in an interview:

http://kotaku.com/thanks-to-73-000-supporters-theyre-making-a-successor-1713481654

The Rare guys themselves had seemed to tire of the 3D platformer pretty quickly, certainly of the Banjo rendition of them, Kirkhope recalled. ”I think with Tooie we were tired of it at that point," he said referring to 2000's Banjo-Tooie. ”We'd done two games, and, if you do continual sequels—Rare didn't like to do that—we didn't want to do another Banjo game. And that's why it kind of ended there."

In hindsight, it actually makes sense to why Banjo-Tooie ended up being so huge and expansive. They wanted it to be their sendoff to the series, in the same way DKC2 was their sendoff to their take on Donkey Kong before moving on.

What's interesting about the development of Banjo-Kazooie is that it initially mirrors that of Donkey Kong. As in, the team comes out with the first game, and then they cap it all off by releasing a second game before jumping on to a new IP. It was Project Dream (which became BK obviously) that proceeded DKC2, and Grabbed by the Ghoulies that proceeded Banjo-Tooie.

Ultimately, I think the reason Gregg Mayles' team ended up crawling back to Banjo was because A.) GOTG was neither a critical or commercial success and B.) unlike with Donkey Kong, there was no B-Team to fill in their shoes to continue working on the series. Thus, the team probably felt like they owed us some sort of Banjo game, so they scrambled many ideas around such as being an enhanced remake of Banjo-Kazooie before they got bored of that idea and it eventually ended up being vehicle based.

So honestly I do kinda believe in Craig's statement on how Rare doesn't like to do traditional sequels. They'd usually do one or two before moving on to something else.

pswii60

Fucking brilliant. It might not be Super Mario Odyssey, but the games are still super fun because of their simplicity. I hope that Activision doesn't go crazy with the new game adding stories, open worlds etc. Just keep it pure.

I'll be honest: I don't care for Nuts & Bolts but I do think the way it turned out made sense...when you realize that the team that Gregg Mayles and his team, who previously made the first two DKC games before they moved on to Banjo, didn't work on DKC3. That was made by a new less experienced team who went on to work on DK64.

Grant Kirkhope touched upon this in an interview:

http://kotaku.com/thanks-to-73-000-supporters-theyre-making-a-successor-1713481654

In hindsight, it actually makes sense to why Banjo-Tooie ended up being so huge and expansive. They wanted it to be their sendoff to the series, in the same way DKC2 was their sendoff to their take on Donkey Kong before moving on.

What's interesting about the development of Banjo-Kazooie is that it initially mirrors that of Donkey Kong. As in, the team comes out with the first game, and then they cap it all off by releasing a second game before jumping on to a new IP. It was Project Dream (which became BK obviously) that proceeded DKC2, and Grabbed by the Ghoulies that proceeded Banjo-Tooie.

Ultimately, I think the reason Gregg Mayles' team ended up crawling back to Banjo was because A.) GOTG was neither a critical or commercial success and B.) unlike with Donkey Kong, there was no B-Team to fill in their shoes to continue working on the series. Thus, the team probably felt like they owed us some sort of Banjo game, so they scrambled many ideas around such as being an enhanced remake of Banjo-Kazooie before they got bored of that idea and it eventually ended up being vehicle based.

So honestly I do kinda believe in Craig's statement on how Rare doesn't like to do traditional sequels. They'd usually do one or two before moving on to something else.

Wrong thread?

Sponge

Banned

That does make a lot sense. At this point I think Microsoft should find a new team to make Banjo just like they did for Killer Instinct. It's fine if Rare doesn't want to make a new game. There's just too much missed opportunity not making a Banjo game when 90's revivals are hot right now.

That does make a lot sense. At this point I think Microsoft should find a new team to make Banjo just like they did for Killer Instinct. It's fine if Rare doesn't want to make a new game. There's just too much missed opportunity not making a Banjo game when 90's revivals are hot right now.

I agree, but I suppose the real issue in that regard is finding it the right developer for it.

It's another reason why it's a shame that Banjo couldn't of stuck around with Nintendo. Besides the obvious EAD/EPD teams, I think Retro Studios could of made a fantastic modern BK game considering their work with Donkey Kong Country.

Neith

Banned
Fixed for you, my friend.

Transformed replaced CTR and so did Mario Kart 8 IMO. CTR is old as hell. People be staring with some real goggles on. I just tried it in an emulator. Not as cool as I thought it was going to be if I'm honest.

But a remake would be awesome. The mechanics are there mostly.

Top Bottom