• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek Says It's Getting Increasingly Difficult to Wow People With Graphics

Melon Husk

Virtual Cryality, an oculus rift shooter. Chop chop, get on it Crytek. e: It's going to take that or raytracing to amaze me. Go on, make the new Doom. Be a pioneer.

Danneee

Crytek isn't in the same place they were with Crysis 1 where they had a game with graphics that surpassed most of not all other games.
Today they're just another developer that have little to brag about.

cripterion

I don't need to be woved anymore, all I want is decent eye candy appropriate to the requirements needed and an optimized game.

Seanspeed

Banned
ive tried the rift. I think its great but no where new the god this is going to change everything billing its given.
It will.

But I think you're missing the point anyways. Its more that graphics in VR can be appreciated on a level that you will never, ever get from a 2D screen. Even the simplest polygonal meshes and basic textures can look incredible.

And really, VR is where its at in terms of where graphics have a ton of room to grow again.

Radec

index.php

Why are you here then ?

SonnyBoy

I'm still wowed by graphics. Hell, I thought the graphics in Crysis 3 were pretty good. It was the horrible story and gameplay that prevented me from finishing it.

Even when it was free on PSN I couldn't finish it. That's saying a lot.

doomquake

Destiny has quite incredible detail and graphics, but the biggest wow moment for me has been the fact that it has ricochets.

So far Sony's first party groups have done a damn fine job wowing me since launch. And its just the first gen of their engines, usually really rough but not so far

The tech behind The Tomorrow Children is extraordinary. Uncharted 4 is going to blow minds no doubt. The Order looks incredible. Etc. etc.

Seanspeed

Banned
Destiny has quite incredible detail and graphics
It really doesn't.

It has a nice art style that masks many of its less-than-impressive aspects.

Which is fine, really. I believe art style is more important than technically proficient graphics. But technically proficient graphics still have their place and pushing this area is how we get continually better looking games.

I love how many people think Forza's visuals are even remotely comparable to Crysis 3 on a technical level. Especially when you consider its a last gen game from early 2013...

sobaka770

Banned
I think that Crytek has lost its way with how to "Wow" people with the graphics. When Far Cry was released there was a lot to do in terms of raw graphic power: more polygons, better textures, better shaders etc.

However, more and more, we're getting to the point where getting better textures and shaders is very expensive from the development perspective, but also expensive in terms of hardware which can potentially run it. Moreover, for most people, current-gen graphics are almost good-enough.

Crytek has never "Wow"ed anyone, however with it's artistic design. The tropical islands and overgrown New York were nice, for sure, but also forgettable. There is no soul to them which comes not just from having most polygons (which in a couple of years anybody will be able to achieve, because of technology scaling), but from the artistic design. Games like Assassin's Creed with it's incredible use of light to distinguish Acre from Damascus and Jerusalem, DotA2 with its attention to animations and all those 2D indie titles with crisp image and perfect sense of style (Shovel Knight anyone?) have much more charm and lasting power than any of the CrYsises and RYses.

It's nice that there is a company dedicated to pushing the technology forward, but if it's not all that fun to play their games, and they are not memorable for much but being benchmarks for 10'000EUR PCs with quadruple-sli and 4K monitors (e.g. 0.001 of all gamers), it's a waste of resources.

Also, on a side-note, I wonder from the business point of view, is this market worth pursuing?

jimi_dini

we as an industry have reached a quality level now where it is getting increasingly more difficult to really wow people

Good. So the industry will have to finally focus on gameplay again.

Try to wow me with gameplay mechanics instead then. For example, fallout 3 and NV both look like doodoo but wowed me cause of what you're able to do in them

Sendou

Try to wow me with gameplay mechanics instead then. For example, fallout 3 and NV both look like doodoo but wowed me cause of what you're able to do in them

Crytek's business is engines so it's natural why they would take this stance if you think about it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Good. So the industry will have to finally focus on gameplay again.
Nope. Market is as graphics-hungry as it ever has been and will remain a priority going forward.

Crytek's business is engines so it's natural why they would take this stance if you think about it.
*IF* you think about it. That doesn't seem to happen very much. All these people saying "Well focus on gameplay instead" seem to really be missing the point.

I have nothing but respect for Crytek engineers. They are the best in the industry. But yeah, I think diminishing returns from graphics is real and it's only going to continue on that trend.

Gbraga

They have the tech, they should probably focus more on the art. Crysis 3 is probably way more demanding than any Unreal Engine game, but I'm more impressed with games like Ethan Carter or DmC than I was playing Crysis 3.

And while the "wow people with gameplay instead" comments may be out of place, it's still good advice. Crysis doesn't wow me graphically anymore, but I still play it because it's amazing. It wows me with the mechanics, Far Cry 3 is as close to Crysis 1 as it gets, and it's still not quite the same. Everything is behind a paywall and most stuff are prompt based or context sensitive, Crysis gives you actual freedom to do whatever crazy shit you can. Quickly switching suit modes never gets old.

EDIT: I guess Dishonored is closer than Far Cry 3, but I didn't play it yet, so I can't say for sure.

barit

Looking in the DriveClub OT I have to disagree

People still get Wowed from graphics even from this low end to mid range PC garbage that are called consoles ... tzzz Crytek please

People just get used to great graphics very damn fast. Unless you're the first to have a particular effect or piece of tech it really is hard to wow people nowadays.
And even then it will become normal to expect this kind of tech very soon.

I do think Crytek did pretty well in this department so far though.

Seanspeed

Banned
Should have been first post, I'm disappointed guys.
First post was basically saying the same thing. :/

Its not really relevant to the discussion, though. But this seems to be one of those threads that gets created so everybody can spam the same tired nonsense over and over for a quick laugh or bash rather than any intelligent discussion.

I think that Crytek has lost its way with how to "Wow" people with the graphics. When Far Cry was released there was a lot to do in terms of raw graphic power: more polygons, better textures, better shaders etc.

However, more and more, we're getting to the point where getting better textures and shaders is very expensive from the development perspective, but also expensive in terms of hardware which can potentially run it. I Moreover, for most people, current-gen graphics are almost good-enough.

Crytek has never "Wow"ed anyone, however with it's artistic design. The tropical islands and overgrown New York were nice, for sure, but also forgettable. There is no soul to them which comes not just from having most polygons (which in a couple of years anybody will be able to achieve, because of technology scaling), but from the artistic design. Games like Assassin's Creed with it's incredible use of light to distinguish Acre from Damascus and Jerusalem, DotA2 with its attention to animations and all those 2D indie titles with crisp image and perfect sense of style (Shovel Knight anyone?) have much more charm and lasting power than any of the CrYsises and RYses.

It's nice that there is a company dedicated to pushing the technology forward, but if it's not all that fun to play their games, and they are not memorable for much but being benchmarks for 10'000EUR PCs with quadruple-sli and 4K monitors (e.g. 0.001 of all gamers), it's a waste of resources.

Also, on a side-note, I wonder from the business point of view, is this market worth pursuing?
Their games aren't bad because they have good visuals.
Looking in the DriveClub OT I have to disagree

People still get Wowed from graphics even from this low end to mid range PC garbage that are called consoles ... tzzz Crytek please
Driving games are hardly hard to make look good....

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well, it is not just fancy realistic graphics to draw people in, it is the STYLE of the visuals themselves that do so :).

The biggest proof for this is simply Minecraft. A freakin java game that looks like it was made 15 years ago graphically, but it's the gameplay and style of the game that has made it sell 55 million copies. You don't need great graphics if you have phenomenal gameplay. There are hundreds of other inidie games that prove this as well. But today, so many AAA games seem to focus much more on realistic graphics than good or interesting gameplay, because that is their "hook" for the consumer. Unfortunately, it's also the reason development costs are skyrocketing for the AAA studios. I think the industry needs to shift more towards great and innovative gameplay than photo realistic graphics.

JNT

While we are still leaps and bounds away from photorealism in real-time I think the major issues are slowing improvements in graphics in combination with more companies being able to push the boundaries of the state of the art. This makes it harder to make a selling argument based on graphics alone.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
False.

PC gamers would say "Driveclub is nothing I haven't seen on a high end PC in 2006", or something like that.

Actually that GIF is PC_inception, because that is how PC gamers in general react to any new game at first glance (especially if any game has a high System requirement) and then that excitement fades quicker than an after shave lotion drying up on the skin.

Glad that Crytek admitted that gameplay is important too, hopefully it can concentrate on gameplay after it comes out if its current situation.

Top Bottom