• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Game browser coming to Halo 5 (Xbox One and PC)

wwm0nkey

Hopefully there is a PR about this soon, seems like not a lot of people know about it or keep on assuming it's the content browser

Bsigg12

Hopefully there is a PR about this soon, seems like not a lot of people know about it or keep on assuming it's the content browser

Their big livestream is this week for all things Forge for PC and the Anvils Legacy update so it'll likely be announced during that

Strakt

wait.... so i can play on peoples custom maps solo or in a party from a server browser showcasing user made maps? i dont need a full party to play? ON PC???

it sounds like halo 5 is taking a bizarre shape on pc. why they dont just port the whole thing idk.

my view is they know they have a fantastic multiplayer mode which is shackled by the Xbox platform.
They have put a lot of money into HCS which has a handful of teams and moderate viewers on twitch.
offering multi (inc forge) on PC for free is key to growing the player base as there is nothing to lose by installing it, it would be great to have new players competing... You just have to look at Huke from NV to see how successfully one can transition from other shooters, that dude is arguably the best player in the game right now.

I think it's a master stroke, they really needed to make a move like this to put halo back on the esports map, 343 has done a good job but halo is being held back by the platform.

LukeTim

There was a member here long ago that fought and campaigned for custom game browsing and dedicated servers in the Halo series every day until he was banned, looks like he was right all along.

it sounds like halo 5 is taking a bizarre shape on pc. why they dont just port the whole thing idk.

Stinkles has answered this directly before. No idea where the post is, but the gist was that it wasn't designed for PC, only XB1, so why pour loads of resources into getting an older title working when they could focus resources on ... erm... well... hey, we haven't announced anything yet *whistle whistle, look the other way*

Fret

Why's it so big? Legit question - I'm not in "the fps scene"

custom games have always been very popular, but the only way to have big games was to know a lot of people who played or go onto third party sites to find people to play with. this has always limited custom games compared to the competitive matchmaking.

now, after 10 years of waiting, you'll be able to search for custom game lobbies right inside the game.

membran

I've finally triggered the Win 10 anniversary update manually in anticipation for this alone. Hopefully the Forge Win 10 release will still be in people's mind when the custom game browser gets added some time later.
Until then, using discord/reddit/etc will have to do for finding people to play with, it'll require some effort, though.

I've read Josh Holmes' comment on the topic in the teambeyond forums:
To be clear, it's a new feature that will provide similar functionality to a custom game browser, extending the existing file browser. It's something we've wanted to build for years and managed to get done as part of our ongoing support for the game.
We'll be talking in more detail as we near release, but yeah it's pretty megaton for Halo and will be a great addition on both PC and console.

Emphasis by the author. What does he mean by "similar functionality to a custom game browser"? If you can't filter current public custom games by game mode, player count, map etc, it's not really something one would call a custom game browser. And if it has this functionality, then why formulate it in this way and not just call it a custom game browser?

Or is he referring to Xbox Live's upcoming "Looking for Group" feature? That would "just" give us an ingame ability of finding strangers that currently want to play Halo as well. Which beats looking for them on discord/reddit for sure, but it couldn't exactly be described as a custom game browser (or functioning similar to one), really.

Edit: The unnamed 343i spokesperson clearly talked about a "join-in-progress custom games browser", I missed that bit and it appears to be the latest information. Well, we'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Anyways, Halo 5 multiplayer for PC, I'm on board.

I've finally triggered the Win 10 anniversary update manually in anticipation for this alone. Hopefully the Forge Win 10 release will still be in people's mind when the custom game browser gets added some time later.
Until then, using discord/reddit/etc will have to do for finding people to play with, it'll require some effort, though.

I've read Josh Holmes' comment on the topic in the teambeyond forums:

Emphasis by the author. What does he mean by "similar functionality to a custom game browser"? If you can't filter current public custom games by game mode, player count, map etc, it's not really something one would call a custom game browser. And if it has this functionality, then why formulate it in this way and not just call it a custom game browser?

Or is he referring to Xbox Live's upcoming "Looking for Group" feature? That would "just" give us an ingame ability of finding strangers that currently want to play Halo as well. Which beats looking for them on discord/reddit for sure, but it couldn't exactly be described as a custom game browser (or functioning similar to one), really.

Edit: The unnamed 343i spokesperson clearly talked about a "join-in-progress custom games browser", I missed that bit and it appears to be the latest information. Well, we'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Anyways, Halo 5 multiplayer for PC, I'm on board.

My understanding is that this is a extension of the forge file browser that provides browsing for open custom games, similar to other custom game browser resolutions, just not something standalone.

There was a member here long ago that fought and campaigned for custom game browsing and dedicated servers in the Halo series every day until he was banned, looks like he was right all along.
Conner fought the good fight, and every battle was worth it. Those of us who never gave up hope, who never stopped posting about a CGB, this day is for us.

The war has been won.
Now hopefully they don't mess it up.

aravuus

Oh shit that's awesome

I was mildly excited about playing Halo 5 on PC but I figured trying to group up with others every time I wanted to play would be a pain. Custom game browser sounds amazing.

membran

I'll do word of mouth at least if the whole Halo-5-on-PC-for-free thing turns out to be good (PC performance, netcode, M+K controls and custom game finder).

wwm0nkey

You know I wonder, when the browser comes out if they will also enable cross play, I mean enabling options to let KB+M wouldn't be too hard but I don't know if the networking is similar on the games or not

I predict this will come in an October update on the anniversary of the release date: Oct 27.

I mean it only makes too much sense

wwm0nkey

Wait wait...when was Halo 5 confirmed to be coming out for PC??

Also server browser aka region filters.......YAAHS!
May I think? It's just forge and customs (though with a server browser that's amazing now)

Think so? I was expecting longer, and for a bomba like this, I was thinking like next year lol.
I think they've been working on this for awhile along with the content browser (remember prefabs were discovered super early too)

Top Bottom