• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077: What we know so far

Disgraced

Eurogamer said:
There are nine classes - known as Roles - to pick from in the game. They are Cop, Corporate (businessman), Fixer (dealer-type), Media, Netrunner (hacker), Nomad (gypsy warrior), Rockerboy (rebel rockers!), Solo (assassin) and Techie (renegade doctors and mechanics).
I hope I can be a "bad motherfucker."

BceAd1H.jpg

I wanna be the slimiest, wealthiest little prick in Night City.

JBwB

The summary shows they're being incredibly ambitious with Cyberpunk 2077.
It seems they have a massive task ahead of them if they aim to jam pack all those features into a game equivalent in quality to the Witcher 3.

The Witcher series is one of my favorite game series of all time so I definitely have faith that they'll be able to pull this off!

Also... I'm getting massive Shadowrun vibes off this game haha.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I will be overjoyed if there's a quest involving the supernatural. The only thing cooler than cyberpunk...

...IS CYBERPUNK WITH SATAN
Dan Terminus, Perturbator or Carpenter Brut scoring Cyberpunk 2077 would make me lose my shit.

As for the launch date, something tells me I'll be holding on my PC upgrade for the day it goes gold. Time to prune that backlog.

Man thanks for the info OP, been dying for Cyberpunk info after finishing TW3.
Really cool to learn about the brain dance stuff I knew nothing about prior.

The class system sounds like it will make multiple playthroughs a must!

Bold prediction: This game will be good.

Bad prediction.

This game will be too good ;)

My only wish is that it has some form of repeatable missions a la Shadowrun on the Sega Genesis.

Anything else, I'm open to. Just give me a basic repeatable content mechanic that I can put 500 hours into no matter how repetitive or recycled it becomes.

dc89

Great thread, thanks OP.
I've quietly been looking forward to this since the concept art released way back when.

Vetro

Because CDPR has huge credit after the Witcher series:

I'm hyped already.

Everything we know so far sounds already like a really great thing. Bigger than Witcher 3? Bring it on.

SomTervo

Phenomenal. Thank you so much for this, OP.

Could this be the true successor to Deus Ex (2000) that we needed? That we deserved? That we
asked for
?

Lime

Great summary, OP. I am so happy that we'll get a character creator for this. Geralt never seemed like his personality justified not having some of character customization, at least in the games themselves.

I'm not sure if the Fallout / Bethesda marketing strategy works as such for this title. The IP and game don't have as much consumer awareness and perceived pedigree as the major Bethesda games.

lcap

Incredible info compilation, thanks a lot. Didn't even know there was so much information out there besides the trailer.

This is shaping out to be the third game I'm willing to pay full price for in about a decade. Assuming they stick to the details in the OP anyway.

2019 or 2020 release most likely

Let's hope this means next gen. I do not want the game's ambitioned shackeled by 2012-2013 technologies.
Dan Terminus, Perturbator or Carpenter Brut scoring Cyberpunk 2077 would make me lose my shit

I imagine they will go straight cyberpunk with the music, they just have to.
I wonder if
Ciri
will have a cameo.

hah. Probably at this point... if not her, then some sort of reference

SomTervo

Can CDPR make an open-ended customizable-character game that still has a great and engaging plot? If any current dev can in the AAA space, I think it's them.

I didn't believe they could, until I read the line about the story being character-focused, not plot-focused (e.g. not about "saving the world").

As much as I love The Witcher 1-3, it all has a bit of grandiose about it. World-end events, world-threats, 'global' politics, etc. It's a blend of high and low fantasy after all, I guess.

The idea of CDPR distilling their writing down to the simplest essence of what actually matters in a story – character and personal/subjective experience – is super exciting. Especially in terms of how compelling the player's hour-to-hour experience could be, building their narrative and their relationships on a level of detail which is unprecedented. What a time to be alive.

And I can't think of another character-creator'd and story-choice-focused RPG which has a story focused only on character and a small narrative. Perhaps Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines? Fallout: NV?

Everything about this thing leads me to believe it will be the best game of all time.

That kind of writing quality and scope in a cyberpunk setting. I really want them to do fallout 4 style reveal then release a few months later, I cant take a slow burn or a media blackout for a long ass wait like the Witcher 3.

Jesus, I know. TW3 was already a contender, but now Cyberpunk? Shiieeet.

Lunar15

We know so little about this game at this point that it could conceivably anything. It's times like that where I try to keep my expectations in check because otherwise it will never live up to my grandiose ideas.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I imagine they will go straight cyberpunk with the music, they just have to.

I believe they already said as much.

Cyberpunk 2077 embracing synthwave (even if partly) could give the genre a huge boost in credibility. There are some killer artists out there that could give an arm and a leg for the opportunity of scoring the game. My dream soundtrack would probably alternate between Tangerine Dream/Vangelis/Moroder/College and something more brutal and ralentless for action sequences such as Carpenter Brut.

Let's hope this means next gen. I do not want the game's ambitioned shackeled by 2012-2013 technologies.

Will definitely be on PS4 and X1, the amount of hardware out there by then is too much money left on the table.
A game this size and ambitious requires a good install base to justify development costs.

The game will be a showpiece for PC's regardless of the current consoles.

Bubba77

I cant believe that trailer is already 3 years old. Time flies. I cant wait for this game.

I loved the witcher series sooo much. Even read the books as well. I have total confidence CDPR will deliver an awesome experience.

impact

Banned

I wouldn't worry about it. These guys don't put much effort into console versions anyway, all the focus is on PC. Witcher 3 PC maxed out looks over a generation ahead of the PS4 version (which runs at a terrible framerate to boot)

something more brutal and ralentless for action sequences such as Carpenter Brut.

yes please.

Game sounds very, very good. I actually wasn't aware of all the information that was already out about the game and kind of assumed we only knew the what was show in the recruitment video back in 2012. The classes all look really interesting and being a slimy businessman(With that high Charisma stat) sounds awesome. As soon as this game gets a legit trailer, it'll be one of my most hyped games. Considering they were talking about FO4 release schedule, I'm assuming they are going to do the same in 2017 where they announce it and release it that holiday season, especially considering they want to release another AAA game before the end of 2021.

Anyway, thanks for posting this, it's really awesome to see where they are taking this game ^^

adj_noun

A lot of those roles look cool, but Media kinda sparks my interest. I wonder what kind of game effects it has; normally I'd think something like that would be more of a "background" type selection in character creation than a class.

I've never played the PnP game, which I'd imagine would give more of a sense of how it would work. Charisma type class maybe?

Vintage

Great work collecting the info!

I wonder how much of that is still true since most of it was said during 2012-2013, a lot of stuff probably changed during past 3 years.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I've not played more than Witcher 2's tutorial but I am very excited to see what they do. Cyberpunk is totally my bag, whereas Tolkien-esque fantasy can go fuck itself.

Do I go Corporate Samurai or Street Samurai...? Decisions, decisions...

Walpurgis

Banned
I believe they already said as much.

Cyberpunk 2077 embracing synthwave (even if partly) could give the genre a huge boost in credibility. There are some killer artists out there that could give an arm and a leg for the opportunity of scoring the game. My dream soundtrack would probably alternate between Tangerine Dream/Vangelis/Moroder/College and something more brutal and ralentless for action sequences such as Carpenter Brut.

They partnered with Percival on The Witcher 3, which was very successful, so I am expecting them to do something like that with Cyberpunk 2077.

LordofPwn

OP should remove the bullet point saying it will be bigger than the Witcher 3.

i've heard it will be more dense, and larger magnitude. Magnitude being the scope of the story, or atleast thats how the full quote read to me. I don't doubt that i'll get more hours of enjoyment out of it than the witcher 3 though.

Very much looking forward to this game. we may get a surprise announcement at E3 this year. very much believe we'll get some new info this year even if they said no more news till 2017.

OP should remove the bullet point saying it will be bigger than the Witcher 3.

i've heard it will be more dense, and larger magnitude. Magnitude being the scope of the story, or atleast thats how the full quote read to me. I don't doubt that i'll get more hours of enjoyment out of it than the witcher 3 though.

Very much looking forward to this game. we may get a surprise announcement at E3 this year. very much believe we'll get some new info this year even if they said no more news till 2017.

I can't find the interview where they said it's a denser map for the life of me. Plus the bigger than witcher 3 is everwhere on the news. We know bigger doesn't necessarily mean map size.

Super hyped for basically everything except the decision to use the ridiculously goofy Cyberpunk Roles list. That list was bad when it was released and has aged hilariously poorly in the transition from 80's cyberpunk to modern transhuman futurepunk.

Disgraced

Super hyped for basically everything except the decision to use the ridiculously goofy Cyberpunk Roles list. That list was bad when it was released and has aged hilariously poorly in the transition from 80's cyberpunk to modern transhuman futurepunk.
Nuh-uh. '80s, cheesy cyberpunk is the best cyberpunk. It's cheap, it's urban, it's underground, it's noire, and it's a rebellion. It's also intellectual, and it doesn't need a "futuristic" update to be. If it did it would just be normal science fiction.
I've not played more than Witcher 2's tutorial but I am very excited to see what they do. Cyberpunk is totally my bag, whereas Tolkien-esque fantasy can go fuck itself.
The Witcher series is so much more than that, my dude! You gotta play more of it.
Dan Terminus, Perturbator or Carpenter Brut scoring Cyberpunk 2077 would make me lose my shit.
Absolutely, the more the genre's exposed the better. It would and hopefully will be totally awesome. Took the words right out of my mouth regarding Carpenter Brut—the heavy style might make combat cool no matter how clunky it is. Myself, I'd love some softer John Carpenter-tension building in there. Something like Gost.

In fact, CDPR, if you're reading this, please let Gost score the side mission I'm pining for where you fight a demon-possesed Commodore.

qjk3Zt7.jpg

Top Bottom