• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 with Mods Demonstrates the Power of Path Tracing

Fbh

The cars in the first part look awesome.
The gameplay looks a bit weird though, almost like there was a tilt shift effect going on

Larxia

The gameplay looks a bit weird though, almost like there was a tilt shift effect going on
Yeah that's because of the heavy depth of field applied everywhere. I also hate how pronounced the camera shake / headbob effect is.
That's often a problem with these type of mods / showcase, they add a lot of effects to make it look "realistic" (by realistic understand = movie like, not life like), and while it can give some "wow" impression as a video, it's super uncomfortable to play with such effects.
Everything in these videos try to mimic effects of movies / videos, giving it a more realistic look, but remove the shaky camera, the blur etc, and suddenly it won't look as "realistic" anymore. The lighting is still impressive though.

Pedro Motta

Motions blur and DoF ruining IQ.
the naked gun facepalm GIF

Sethbacca

Super impressive. The next decade of games gonna be wild with transitions to generative graphics and iterations of current tech. Buckle up, Playstation 7 gonna be wild.

Larxia

playing in overcast weather is like cheating with these mods
This too.
Everytime there is this kind of "impressive" lighting mod, it's always this type of weather lol It gives it a kind of realistic look but a bit bland / colorless at the same time. But it's always this very specific look.
I remember this already back then with GTA 4 ENBs:

The combo is often:
- Overcast weather
- Shaky camera to replicate the effect of someone filming / go pro style
- Lot of motion blur
- Heavy depth of field

Another problem is that, I don't know if it's still the case with modern games using ray tracing like here, but for older games like this GTA example here, or some Skyrim mods / ENB, it can look spectacular, but only in very specific conditions. Quite often these games, using these settings, were completely unplayable during night time, or looked really bad with a different weather.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Absolutely ridiculous looking. A pity the NPC's look and act like PS3 level models lol. The main campaign characters are amazing obviously.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
How many kidneys I need to sell to be able fo afford this?

Depends how much you value your kidneys.
A 4080S or 4070TIS will be able to do this at decent frame rates.
I'll start paying attention when games can do this and maintain over 60fps. Should only be a few more years, right?

So now?

performance-pt-2560-1440.png

^Thats if you are using DLSS Quality on a 4K panel.
If you are using DLSS Balanced your frame rate will be higher.
Add in DLSS FrameGeneration and even on a 4K panel you'd be swimming in it.

At worst wait for Blackwell next year.

rm082e

So now?

performance-pt-2560-1440.png

^Thats if you are using DLSS Quality on a 4K panel.
If you are using DLSS Balanced your frame rate will be higher.
Add in DLSS FrameGeneration and even on a 4K panel you'd be swimming in it.

At worst wait for Blackwell next year.

I don't think that test was done using all the mods from the video in the OP was it? I think that test was just on vanilla Phantom Liberty, which doesn't look anywhere near as good.

I'm skeptical Blackwell will be able to consistently run games with RT quality as good as the video in the first post, and maintain a frame rate above 60, rendering at QHD or better. Obviously if you just keep dropping the render resolution down and putting more on the AI scaling you can, but that looks poor. I'm on a QHD monitor now and running DLSS Balanced in CP looks bleh.

Even if it can, it would probably be the 5090 only, not the 5080.

Killer8

What the video mainly shows is how much camera sway and animation add to the realism of a game. It's the same reason why Unrecord and Ride 4 look so real:

Doesn't look nearly as realistic with a fixed third-person camera now does it?

Of course the reason it's not used much is because it makes most games feel tremendously unwieldy.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I don't think that test was done using all the mods from the video in the OP was it? I think that test was just on vanilla Phantom Liberty, which doesn't look anywhere near as good.

I'm skeptical Blackwell will be able to consistently run games with RT quality as good as the video in the first post, and maintain a frame rate above 60, rendering at QHD or better. Obviously if you just keep dropping the render resolution down and putting more on the AI scaling you can, but that looks poor. I'm on a QHD monitor now and running DLSS Balanced in CP looks bleh.

Even if it can, it would probably be the 5090 only, not the 5080.

The config makes the RT and PT more efficient....not less.
Altering the weather and lighting conditions shouldnt affect performance too much.
A LUT has near zero impact on performance....LUT literally stands for Look Up Table, it looks at a pixels color and alters it according to the LUT many LUTs are literally just text.....do you think your PC even sneezes when its reading a text document.
The ReShade for PostFX and DOF are likely the heaviest things in this "mod" but as this thread should prove most people don't actually want to play with that much Post Processing or DOF on at all times.....perfect for cutscenes though.

RzJ9cGnhdAAa70jVw4vMaWkWm3lVrI3A9O4ahzZY4Kdrvj5emAWwaOZEWeV9U81bcK_dGPVKSs6g=s640-c-fcrop64=1,00000000ffffffff-rw-nd-v1

Cm0K8pG9yMETcoyTvS2Q34kz2-K4eLtEfKW2WXvx8ax5F8f5Z9zMYRCcYKgpQTKi1toMOc66kBxOZA=s640-c-fcrop64=1,00000000ffffffff-rw-nd-v1

The bottom image looks better as a screenshot, but will likely make you nauseous when you actually play, because too much of the screen is out of focus constantly.
Imagine if an enemy was behind the street post, they would be a blurry mess, and if you aimed at them the car and everything else in the world would become a blurry mess.
So yeah, exessive DOF looks nice in screenshots and cutscenes but is bad for gameplay purposes.
The brighter highlights are nice though.

<---Used to play with ReShade incessantly, cool screenshots always, but for gameplay you dont want it that aggressive.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Man, rendering fidelity looks so good now. For a while actually. But the underlying game-logic still feels stuck in the PS360 era.

It's a matter of time before this level GPU requirement is democratized, so we've sorta peaked a bit in rendering. Now I hope that animation, physics and game-logic in general get the same investment and leap forward meaningfully, cause that's long overdue.

EDIT:
I'm still waiting for the day that games have standardized fully physicalized characters with motorized animations, creating more realistic and surprised/emergent interactions:

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
USwrX6I.gif
5A3uXdM.gif

Those first person cutscenes are stupid and i hope the next cybperunk goes third person. They are limiting themselves too much. Id say they are barely on par with Witcher 3.
they are dreadful at third person. TW3 despite being an overall great game feels like crap to play. going first person in cyberpunk wasn't for "immersion" as they claimed; it's because tpv is far more work, and they're really bad at it.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Now do it without the shaky cam. It will still look good of course, but that's a common trick every single "photorealistic" video uses (because it works). Remove it and the illusion shatters a bit (but the game actually becomes playable).

Last edited:

raduque

I hate how they always put those trash ass bmw and mercedes cars in there.

It's also not nearly as realistic as they think. Reflections still don't move like real life, and aliasing ruins it completely.

MikeM

Wow. Never realized the effect of lighting would have. Whats the difference between this and the vanilla PT/RT?

This is just a 2024 version of those shitty mods for GTAIV that were supposed to be realistic but looked like ass. Same boring wet pavement and overly reflective perfect surfaces.

Difference is GTAIV is a much better game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Because this kid is just reshade and new models. Nothing to do with path tracing. All the rt and reflections are in the game.

It’s one of these terrible Instagram graphics mods. Oversharpening, desaturated and added tons of depth of field. Add a real bike or car model to that and you have tons of people fooled. That’s not good graphics. It looks worse than real game and asmon folds out there say it looks like real life game 10 years from now.
If I was a dev Inwould be furious. It’s a cheap trick.

What the video mainly shows is how much camera sway and animation add to the realism of a game. It's the same reason why Unrecord and Ride 4 look so real:

Doesn't look nearly as realistic with a fixed third-person camera now does it?

Of course the reason it's not used much is because it makes most games feel tremendously unwieldy.

Looks the same because it probably is exactly the same, with same effects and detail level? The first just has a GoPro "realism", which probably works fine to fool some people. I think Ride and MotoGP both have these cameras included, i think also even weirder on board positions, but it is weird af to even try to play it this way, might work with some serious effort and getting used to it, but the main purpose is probably just to be able to say it is not only inengine but actually playable ingame, so not fake at all, and looks just as on TV Superbike, MotoGP and whatnot, kinda clever kinda slimy dev work.

timothet

I hate how they always put those trash ass bmw and mercedes cars in there.

It's also not nearly as realistic as they think. Reflections still don't move like real life, and aliasing ruins it completely.
I think that they do that because our monkey brain recognizes something that exist in real word, making it easier to trick it into believing the whole thing looks real.

I absolutely love cars and bikes that are in the game and see no reason to mod more of them. Though, both Mercedes and BMW are canon in Cyberpunk universe, so it's actually fitting in this example.

Last edited:

Hudo

Porsche gets a pass though right?

How-To-Get-The-Porsche-911-In-Cyberpunk-20771200_5fdaec3beaebc.jpeg
I do like a good 911. Even though my father always pointed out how this car was a flawed concept. With the engine behind the rear axle, making it impossible to control in corners (but it was good for acceleration). But the 911 nowadays have so many mechanical and electronic assists that you barely notice it, imho.

Top Bottom