• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II leads on PC, confirmed 60fps, 30fps on consoles "no drops", new engine

Eusis

I really don't believe them, the engine looks the exact same and they are way too far along in development for a complete engine rewrite.

The DOF looks the same, the base systems look the same, the way they do 'wet' textures looks the same, even Durante noticed that the AO implementation is the same.

I think it must have been something lost in translation.
I look back on the original post and now I see what exactly was said... yet just using an updated PhyreEngine STILL makes the most sense to me with whoever said that either mistranslated, misunderstanding, or BOTH. Nevermind we heard this sort of stuff before (Skyrim) and look how that turned out. Though in this case PhyreEngine's biggest problems as far as we could see were the FPS issues, and if that's ironed out with a newer version it's fine.

Mogwai

Is it me or does this game look/sound pretty much finished? It has to release this year, right?

Considering it's coming out on 360, PS3 and PC, I definitely see it launching this year. Would be a mess if it first comes out when the new consoles have been released this year (at least PS4).

fallagin

They don't have to have the next gen in mind since the PC version should port over relatively easily I they want to do so.

kairu

I don't understand this "Next-Gen not a focus" stuff. If the lead platform is PC and PS4/XBO are X86 doesn't that mean that because its built for modern PCs then that is essentially next gen console ready?

DONT UNDERSTAND!

I really dont want to have to keep my PS3 around once I have the 4...

I still want some Durante magic in my the game, if they really give us a good version then damn... I DON'T buy 60 buck games and I'd make an exception for Dark Souls 2.

Orayn

I don't understand this "Next-Gen not a focus" stuff. If the lead platform is PC and PS4/XBO are X86 doesn't that mean that because its built for modern PCs then that is essentially next gen console ready?

DONT UNDERSTAND!

It means porting would be easier, but still far from a zero-effort project. They probably want to ship the game and make sure they have all their bases covered before worrying about new platforms.

Thoraxes

DONT UNDERSTAND!

You still need to optimize for the systems, pay people to do it, and have them take time off other projects you want them working on to make it happen, not to mention those people need to learn how to do what they need to do and make it run well and be an efficient use of to make it happen.

Eusis

Plus they may feel the need to optimize, or there's some server nonsense to deal with. I think Microsoft outright said there wasn't going to be crossgen multiplayer for 360/X1, but maybe From would want to do this for PS3/PS4. And that's half the problem, the fact this could be a huge pain in the ass when it comes to servers handling five or effectively 4 platforms.

Next gen consoles don't have the install base so they can't ignore current gen. The game will possibly get ported, but don't hold your breath.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yeah, PC based development? Ditching the old engine? No outright denial of next gen versions?

Definitely coming to PS4/Xbone next year (maybe fall though rather than at launch, in which case I would have to get the PC version)

I hope they can keep the look of demons/dark souls with a new engine.

Eusis

yeah, PC based development? Ditching the old engine? No outright denial of next gen versions?

Definitely coming to PS4/Xbone next year (maybe fall though rather than at launch, in which case I would have to get the PC version)

I hope they can keep the look of demons/dark souls with a new engine.
There was gameplay shown off since this thread was started, you can hit that up.

I'd say the art thread has us more concerned, and not by very much honestly, it's mostly nitpicks IE going for "boob plate" which we don't even know will be in the full game or if it'd be a specific set or not.

vargr

Neo Member
Just as hyped as I was for DeS/DaS. Can't wait to delve into FROM's latest, easily one of my favorite developers. Seems they're really stepping up their game this time around.

kevm3

I love to see more and more games come to PC, especially Japanese games... and this will be doubly so for next generation so I won't have to have the online hidden behind a pay to play wall.

JawzPause

Although Demon's/Dark Souls are some of my favourite games of this gen, I am not buying this until it comes to PS4. We should set up some sort of petition or something...

Hauk

Neo Member
Interesting to see the combat (as it hasn't been modified heavily from DS1?) working and played in 60fps. I imagine it'll feel somewhat different to be able to do stuff even more smoothly and reliably.

Great news, and hype-meter upped by at least 2 notches.

Markadias

Banned
I "might" have to buy on PC if I trade in my PS3 to go towards the costs of the PS4...
Now then, will my beast (Lol) of a laptop which boasts a modest HD4000 and a 3rd generation i5 run anything of note? any expert advice would be appreciated.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yup. This is the version I'll be buying the shit out of.

And hyping to the grounds.

Sid

I "might" have to buy on PC if I trade in my PS3 to go towards the costs of the PS4...
Now then, will my beast (Lol) of a laptop which boasts a modest HD4000 and a 3rd generation i5 run anything of note? any expert advice would be appreciated.
It should at 1080p 30 FPS on medium most likely.

Ennoia

Banned

OK let me translate it roughly
http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/035/551/51c96474e26f1.html

Rain Drop (雫) Stone
Effect:HP recovery (small)

Shiny Rain Drop Stone
Effect:HP recovery (large)

Dusk Herb
Effect: Skill use number of time recovery (small)

Withered Dusk Herb
Effect: Skill use number of time recovery (large)

Others are the same with Dark Souls

http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/035/551/51c9647534d8b.html

Seems that there‘s only Magic and Miracles exist in Dark Souls 2, Pyromancy has been added into Sorceries.
Only thing new here is the "Magic Big F*cking Sword" (魔力の特大剑), they already show it in E3 demo.

flooq

Neo Member
You still need to optimize for the systems, pay people to do it, and have them take time off other projects you want them working on to make it happen, not to mention those people need to learn how to do what they need to do and make it run well and be an efficient use of to make it happen.

I would imagine all of that is totally cost efficient if allows them to release on consoles whose early adopters probably overlap a great deal with their own games's fanbase, especially when they've already made the big step of moving their lead platform to x86 when it was such an afterthought with their last release.

Top Bottom