• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III - E3 Demo Impressions

e9wgtajlevwzdnfjwis5.gif
Excited :)

Perfect gif to describe my feels

Akronis

Really hope this PC port doesn't suck major ass like the first one. I feel bad that Durante is constantly hounded by people (not necessarily on NeoGAF) to fix this garbage.

They already patched load times, if that's what you mean.

Also, I think Bloodborne was mostly a Japan Studio endeavor just with some key From Software people leading development. So I don't think From Software is "heading straight into this", because they've been working on it for over a year now. A and B teams are not From Software's staff split in half, but just lead development teams. Japan Studio provided the art and coding, etc. To further emphasize this, the art design in The Last Guardian demo looks remarkably similar to Bloodborne's, especially with the cobblestone.

Yeah, I did read that the game has been in dev for two years, which is very nice to hear. I just wasn't sure if the whole studio is carried over or what. I wasn't really paying attention to BB the past month so I had no idea what was going on.

If anything this should be even better in engine design and performance. I am sure they had plenty of time to get feedback and optimize.

Aurongel

Not sure why everyone is losing their shit that Dark Souls III is in fact a Dark Souls game. Those new mechanics are fucking sliiiiiim.

Had a giant bowl of dicks for breakfast this morning to atone for my previous fear/hatred for DkS3 possibly carrying on all the things I hated about DkS2. The impressions, interview snippets and so on basically sound exactly like what I was hoping for, incredible.

Skii

Interconnected world :) Thank god. The world design will actually make sense again! Glad kicking is back as well.

KORNdoggy

the sense of anualisation is killing these games for me. bloodborne felt and looked different. to go back to dark souls again though...eh.

BouncyFrag

Yay for summon signs! I was worried they'd mess with this based on what was in the initial DS3 rumors. Just keep it simple.

Servbot24

Banned
Environment design is the most important thing to me. As long as they keep coming up with intriguing, moody and unique enviros, keep these games coming.

eot

Banned
No word about fast travel? I hope it's restricted and I hope they space those bonfires out. No Huntsman's Copse, Harvest Valley or Earthern Peak type shit.

Supposedly the animation is good in this one. That's a big one. The animations being so off in DkSII takes away so much from the feel of the combat.

Kilvas

Really happy about 30fps. Getting really tired of PS4 games looking like slightly better PS3 games at 60fps.

Really happy about 30fps. Getting really tired of PS4 games looking like slightly better PS3 games at 60fps.

Me too for consoles. 60FPS breaks these games at the knees on 60 for visuals IMO. As long as they have nice motion blur 30 and MUCH better visuals is the way to go. Makes porting so much easier too.

I will most likely get this on PC but I feel most console gamers want a much better looking game. 60FPS solid and DS3 would look very very dated on PS4 and it isn't worth it. Some people will differ on their needs.

I certainly don't miss backstabs after Bloodborne.

Will play on PC for 60fps. Not happy about this design decision.

Yes, but come on how many of their game systems would be sacrificed? You are playing a console game really ported to PC no? They would have to kill how many GFX systems in place to get this running at 60FPS solid on consoles? Totally not worth it IMHO. Porting a PS4 game to PS5 will be so much easier too if that ever happens. Going for 60 is the wrong move. It screws up everything including the PC release.

If you really want 60 get a PC IMO. PC will benefit greatly from consoles being 30FPS. The LCD GFX systems will all be in place at 30FPS where with 60 they would be chopped off.... the game would look terrible and PC fans would cry that the game is dated.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Miyazaki level design is the save I needed to hear.

Poor bloke is become the Kojima to his underlings already, haha. "Oh give it here then."

RK9039

This.
Went from DS2 on PC to Bloodborne on PS4. I'll never touch a From game on console again.
Same here, the performance was really bad in comparison. Almost put me off the game completely and the initial loading times didn't help either.

wamberz1

Bows completely got a revamp. You can now effectively use the Short Bow in close range combat. If fires quickly and is nearly instantaneous.

Miyazaki: “Using the short bow is a bit like being like Legolas in Lord of the Rings. Ok, I’m probably exaggerating a little.”

The Long Bow on the other hand, will have a longer draw, will hit harder and be more effective from range. There were no skills or Stances shown with this weapon so I do not know what they are.

Great, now I can finally use bows.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome stuff.

Really hope the PC version is day and date with consoles, but that's probably not realistic.

DC1

I was so looking forward to a break ...to regain my lost souls. However this OP has revitalized my heart. I must pick up my wand and venture forward to obtain an early release copy as soon as it's available.

So is bloodborne ever actually going to get a performance patch or are they just heading straight into this?

And what about the DLC? It Miyazaki passing it off to someone else, or is he directing multiple projects at the same time? He's obviously a fiercely talented guy, but seems like he's moving on a little too soon and not focusing on existing projects.

Gbraga

Bows were already godlike in Dark II imo, loved using them, I might try a full bow build in Dark III now.

And what about the DLC? It Miyazaki passing it off to someone else, or is he directing multiple projects at the same time? He's obviously a fiercely talented guy, but seems like he's moving on a little too soon and not focusing on existing projects.

If he can work on both Bloodborne and Dark Souls III at the same time, I don't think Dark Souls III and a Bloodborne DLC should be too much.

Gbraga

I hope they don't show a thing to the public until they've gone gold.

Why? Just don't watch it. Sony handled marketing brilliantly with Bloodborne, if Namco can do the same for this game, I'll gladly watch everything they show us, with no fear of spoilers.

tcrunch

This is a short new interview with Miyazaki from DaveControl @ Youtube, in which Miyazaki indicates there is a base camp of some kind in DkS3. That's different from what everybody else said which is...gaming journalism at an E3 I guess. The interview starts around 1:15 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxliiQVzdTE

+ there is a base camp
+ jump button customization and camera control from Dark Souls II will probably be implemented
+ all multiplayer questions continue to be dodged for now
+ there are multiple Lords of Cinder, whenever Lord of Cinder comes up they're not referring to a specific one from the past - a Lord of Cinder is someone who succeeded the fire in a particular generation

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Any word if they removed that game-breaking pivoting bullshit from the second game?

I bet Ross was a designer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n67RYI_0sc0

This is a short new interview with Miyazaki from DaveControl @ Youtube, in which Miyazaki indicates there is a base camp of some kind in DkS3. That's different from what everybody else said which is...gaming journalism at an E3 I guess. The interview starts around 1:15 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxliiQVzdTE

+ there is a base camp
+ jump button customization and camera control from Dark Souls II will probably be implemented
+ all multiplayer questions continue to be dodged for now
+ there are multiple Lords of Cinder, whenever Lord of Cinder comes up they're not referring to a specific one from the past - a Lord of Cinder is someone who succeeded the fire in a particular generation

Oh man, PC from Dark Souls 1 is totally gonna be a boss. I bet they'll call him/her "Successor of the First Flame" or something badass

Pejo

With Souls being my favorite series, it took until this for me to truly be excited about DS3. I'm glad the hype finally hit me, I thought something was wrong with me for a bit there.

I'm loving this stance idea, really mixes up the gameplay. I'm cautious about the backstabbing making a comeback though. I thought Bloodborne was so much better for requiring the charge move to backstab. It made fights more fun and less about lag and who can circle around the most effectively.

Otherwise, I'm excited about all the news!

Top Bottom