• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III - E3 Demo Impressions

Euron

So it's pretty much the real Dark Souls 2.

And I'll take 30fps with Miyazaki level design over 60fps with what Dark Souls 2 had.

Any word if they removed that game-breaking pivoting bullshit from the second game?

If you mean turning direction between attacks I've got news for you:

- Weapons in DS1 could do it too (Ultra Greatswords)
- ALL weapons can do it in Bloodborne (aka the last game made by Miyazaki)

So I hope that's not a deal breaker because it's probably gonna be in DS3.

And I'll take 30fps with Miyazaki level design over 60fps with what Dark Souls 2 had.

You mean sub 30 because that's what you were actually getting most of the game.

As for me, give me 60 FPS any day. Gameplay is the most important thing and the simple fact is, DS1 and DS2 played better with 60. Which is why I'll be on PC.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Why? Just don't watch it. Sony handled marketing brilliantly with Bloodborne, if Namco can do the same for this game, I'll gladly watch everything they show us, with no fear of spoilers.

Because if they have to change something between now and when the game releases, people won't know.

I hope they show off a high spec PC build and then port it to PS3 and cancel the PS4 version >:]
Hehe, you're evil.

Gbraga

This is a short new interview with Miyazaki from DaveControl @ Youtube, in which Miyazaki indicates there is a base camp of some kind in DkS3. That's different from what everybody else said which is...gaming journalism at an E3 I guess. The interview starts around 1:15 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxliiQVzdTE

+ there is a base camp
+ jump button customization and camera control from Dark Souls II will probably be implemented
+ all multiplayer questions continue to be dodged for now
+ there are multiple Lords of Cinder, whenever Lord of Cinder comes up they're not referring to a specific one from the past - a Lord of Cinder is someone who succeeded the fire in a particular generation

Base camp doesn't necessarily mean separate hub, could be Firelink Shrine style, so I guess it still makes sense.

About the Lords of Cinder stuff, that explains the "new bosses" bit of the leak. We're probably fighting at least Gwyn and Vendrick as God Hands :p

At least they're using the dumb cycle thingie as background for something new.

Because if they have to change something between now and when the game releases, people won't know.

People will complain no matter what, might as well give us some footage.

Everything sound awesome except the return of DS1 style backstabs. Why would anyone want that back?!

Funny thing is, when they showed the charged attack to backstab thing in Bloodborne, my first reaction was "that's stupid, give me back the regular backstab", but then, when I went back to Dark Souls 1 PVP after playing Bloodborne for quite a while, I really, really missed the charged attacks setups.

Fuck lagstabs.

Curufinwe

I was a Big Bow guy in DeS so I like that they are making it more useful. Never played DaS 1 or 2 but I may get 2 on PS4 when it's cheap.

Good. No reason my rig shouldn't be able to hit 60, but was worried that they would artificially limit it. Although, I guess DS had that limit and people developed a way around it on their own.

So far I have never seen a game that had no way around. Even Sonic 4 EP1 which was 720 locked on PC was given a 1080p fix by exe. I thought that would never happen.

Swirling goo enemy sounds awesome. I recall Miyazake talking about wanting enemies like that before but couldn't due to technical limitations on old consoles.

Getting very excited for this.

Adaren

+ Interconnected world ala DkS1, highly explorable, no world hub, Miyazaki personally took over level design
+ Ragdolls YES
+ Soul Level-based matchmaking

Fantastic.

+ DkS1 style parries/backstabs/movement

Ehhhhhh

DkS1 style parries is good. DkS1 style backstabs is questionable. Bloodborne backstab system was way less abusable.

Elfstruck

As I said above there are multiple areas with low FPS dips.

I don't think you really know what perfectly means tbh. Or it's just your own definition of the word which is fine.

I'd prefer 30FPS solid throughout.

OMG dude I'm not shitting up a thread I was CURIOUS about one issue. Dear god. Is this REALLY that big of an issue. I will just not ask about it. I was asking because it seems like they are moving on. I don't own the game. I am a future buyer of the the game and DS3. I think you need to chill out there bud.

There is a BB thread for a reason.

Auctopus

This is a short new interview with Miyazaki from DaveControl @ Youtube, in which Miyazaki indicates there is a base camp of some kind in DkS3. That's different from what everybody else said which is...gaming journalism at an E3 I guess. The interview starts around 1:15 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxliiQVzdTE

+ there is a base camp
+ jump button customization and camera control from Dark Souls II will probably be implemented
+ all multiplayer questions continue to be dodged for now
+ there are multiple Lords of Cinder, whenever Lord of Cinder comes up they're not referring to a specific one from the past - a Lord of Cinder is someone who succeeded the fire in a particular generation

time travel incoming

Xiraiya

Fantastic.
Ehhhhhh
DkS1 style parries is good. DkS1 style backstabs is questionable. Bloodborne backstab system was way less abusable.

I agree, though I found DS2 Backstabs way too easy, but the Parrying in Dark Souls 2 makes no sense, Parrying window needs to be RIGHT before their weapon touches you like it was in DS1, I don't understand how anyone would want it to be earlier than that, it throws off everything.

So I'm glad I get Parrying back at least.

Blobbers

Noticing some similarities with Berserk.

Gwyn = Griffith

The very first promo shot of Dark Souls 3 shows a melting sun while the world around our protagonist crumbles. (BERSERK SPOILERS)
Visually comparable to the Eclipse in Berserk, where Griffith ascends into a Great One, I mean an apostle to the God Hand. Before he ascends, Griffith is malnourished, withered, on the brink of death, and almost out of his mind. Even looks-wise he and Gwyn are similar.

Gwyn is gonna ascend into some super being and be the ultimate final boss, and you probably wont be able to parry him either, Super Gwyn is gonna fuck your shit up if you press that L2, son.
/speculation

Yes, indeed, this game is already a GOTY contender.

kewlmyc

Bloodborne chugged enough at 30fps. Would have preferred to have Souls stay at 60. Gameplay>graphics in Souls.

Only one game in the entire series has been 60fps. And it took the PC release and a rerelease to get to that framerate. Point is, 60fps is more of an irregualarity, so I wouldn't treat it as the norm.

time travel incoming

Well, Dark Souls already had time travel, right? (Manus, Oolacile, Artorias was still alive, poor puppy Sif, Marvelous Chester and his top hat, etc.)

I'm wondering if this actually takes in-between DkS1 and 2. I'm also hoping they do something with Aldia since, well,
there is a reason he doesn't give any souls, right? He seems to be the only one who broke the cycle since not even the dragons could, you can farm dragon souls

Tarkus

I enjoyed Dark souls 2 a great deal, but I did mean the literal shield knock attack that replaced the kick from Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. I almost never used it.
The turtle killer? I use it all the time in PvP. More than I used the kick from Demon's and Dark Souls 1.

Gbraga

Noticing some similarities with Berserk.

Gwyn = Griffith

The very first promo shot of Dark Souls 3 shows a melting sun while the world around our protagonist crumbles. (BERSERK SPOILERS)
Visually comparable to the Eclipse in Berserk, where Griffith ascends into a Great One, I mean an apostle to the God Hand. Before he ascends, Griffith is malnourished, withered, on the brink of death, and almost out of his mind. Even looks-wise he and Gwyn are similar.

Gwyn is gonna ascend into some super being and be the ultimate final boss, and you probably wont be able to parry him either, Super Gwyn is gonna fuck your shit up if you press that L2, son.
/speculation

Yes, indeed, this game is already a GOTY contender.

Well, in the actual game, I'd say Gwyndolin is much more like Griffith than Gwyn, but now that we now about the Lord of Cinders thing... Yeah.

If they're really using the God Hands though,
Gwyn and Vendrick are guaranteed to have their 2.0 version as bosses in this game, and most likely you'll become one of them, at least in one of the endings.

That would be quite neat.

Vitor711

The real Dark Souls 2 starts here.

I probably won't even bother finishing DS2, I'll just try to finish DS1 and Bloodborne.

Even if you don't 'finish' it properly, for the love of everything, at least go through the DLC areas. The levels there are some of the best the series has ever had, even outdoing Artorias in terms of quality (if not bosses, although they're still uniformly excellent minus 1 or 2).

For anyone who had doubts about the DkS2 team being involved - just look how much they improved with the DLC. They know what they got wrong and can absolutely construct a wonderfully interconnected world.

Altazor

Part of what made the world of DkS2 feel so underwhelming, in my opinion.

Make me earn warping later in the game. I have to walk before I can appreciate my chocobo or my airship.

this. Plus, make shortcuts feel like... well, shortcuts. If you can freely warp between bonfires, then "shortcuts" become almost meaningless, IMHO.

Ambient80

kept reading "peeve" as things the person didn't like...but then got confused because they didnt really say anything bad lol

Haha I did the same thing! "Why is good looking armor and cloth physics a bad thing...?"
Then I realized it was a person /facepalm

eloxx

sound really great. i like the tombstone idea if i understand it right. it can be used to mark areas that you have already visited? could be useful if we get something like a chalice dungeon style map.

im really excited for the game but i still think it is a little too early for the release.

Ardenyal

DS1 backstabs. Why?!

I don't want to do any pvp if lag stabs are back. Strafe in a circle and go fishing for lag stabs seemed to be what pvp boiled down to in ds1.

Mandelbo

I feel like I'm in the minority in preferring DS1's backstabs to DS2's. Smacking the enemy in the back before you do the backstab just seemed like an unnecessary extra step, and in my experience it never solved the problem of lagstabs.

E: I want confirmation that the agility stat isn't in the game!

Top Bottom