• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Gamescom Demo Impressions + Footage

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think that DS2 has too MANY equipment, maybe we need less but more unique..

Nah, it was nice to have slight variations in the greatswords that make them all worth using. If anything I wish some of the other weapon catergories had the same variety. Particularly the hammers.

I don't really care so much whether something is realistic or "gamey" (I realise I said the word above) but what I like is having trade-offs. That was the fun of building a character in DS1 to me.

If only certain shields can parry, then that's a good trade-off to me, you sacrifice not having (probably) a 100% block or having low stability for the ability to parry. And you have high stability for the trade off of not parrying. And you can always switch shields for different occasions.

Agree.

Tarkus

Nooooooo. That's part of what makes the game so great. So many builds and most weapons are viable throughout the game. So many good-looking armors and shield. We need more moveset.

CHC

I don't think I'd want any more gear, necessarily. There were definitely a couple weapons that felt like filler, though I do appreciate that they are actually all different in slight ways.

I do hope to see less irritating methods of acquiring gear, however. Burning tons of Ascetics and repeatedly killing phantoms wasn't really very dignified. Didn't feel like something that was at home in a Souls game - I'd expect that from an old MMO.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't think I'd want any more gear, necessarily. There were definitely a couple weapons that felt like filler, though I do appreciate that they are actually all different in slight ways.

I do hope to see less irritating methods of acquiring gear, however. Burning tons of Ascetics and repeatedly killing phantoms wasn't really very dignified. Didn't feel like something that was at home in a Souls game - I'd expect that from an old MMO.

Only a problem because of the phantoms and the limited respawns. Hopefully those are gone.

Tarkus

Yeah. Getting the Cursed Bone Shield to drop from the Magus at Shrine of Amana in DS2 was one of the most painful things I've experienced in a vidya game. 12 Ascetics...come on FROM

CHC

Only a problem because of the phantoms and the limited respawns. Hopefully those are gone.

Yeah I mean I just don't think rare drops / randomness have much of a place in the Souls games. Certain things like Channeler's Trident are fine because, well who the hell actually uses that (?), and they're just fun items that you may or not wind up getting. But for many entire sets of armor, on a piece by piece basis, it just comes across as a big time-waster rather than something cool you have a realistic chance of actually finding.

Hypron

Nah any rare random drop is an issue for me, regardless of whether an enemy respawns or not. Grinding is boring and I'd rather not have any of it in the game. Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne are pretty good about that (apart from a couple of items - which I wish were available without grinding). Dark Soul 2 is relatively bad on that aspect and Demon's Souls is straight up terrible with its stupid drop rates for shit like upgrade stones.

Greddleok

I basically have 2 play styles: Two handed Str monster and 1 handed (dual wielding in DS2) str/dex build. I don't give a shit about the mountains and mountains of gear, but it doesn't detract from the game for me.

Give me a Zweihander and a shield and I'll be happy, but there's no reason to take the other stuff away for people who enjoy it. It doesn't get in my way.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Looks too fast.

And still so reliant on the roll-dodge. God I've grown tired of Souls combat, I think. It's moving farther away from what I liked about DeS with each new game.

Looks too fast.

And still so reliant on the roll-dodge. God I've grown tired of Souls combat, I think. It's moving farther away from what I liked about DeS with each new game.

I don't really remember the differences of DeS and Dark Souls. Can you expand on this?

Gbraga

apparently i'm a Souls noob, since i have no idea what "toggle escape" means. what the hell? someone educate me pls.

You can switch your weapons in order to free yourself from a stunlock, it can also be done to cancel the fall animation, very useful for speedrunning.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Yeah I mean I just don't think rare drops / randomness have much of a place in the Souls games. Certain things like Channeler's Trident are fine because, well who the hell actually uses that (?), and they're just fun items that you may or not wind up getting. But for many entire sets of armor, on a piece by piece basis, it just comes across as a big time-waster rather than something cool you have a realistic chance of actually finding.
I think Scholar of the First Sin mitigates that already. I found a full Aurous set in a chest! The non-invisible one. And there are shadow ninjas around as normal enemies, not just as NG+
Flexile add-ons
, and I got the shadow gauntlets from the first one I killed, so I imagine farming the full set wouldn't be that big of a deal.

That said, I really don't get why it's such a big deal. Not having the Aurous set before didn't impact my enjoyment of the game. Or:

Yeah. Getting the Cursed Bone Shield to drop from the Magus at Shrine of Amana in DS2 was one of the most painful things I've experienced in a vidya game. 12 Ascetics...come on FROM

I mean, why did you farm that stupid shield so badly? Even if it's a good shield, you can make do easily without it. I would never put myself in a situation where I'd burn 12 ascetics for stuff like that.

Demon's Souls was worse in this regard because it locked upgrade materials behind rare drops and that really sucked.

apparently i'm a Souls noob, since i have no idea what "toggle escape" means. what the hell? someone educate me pls.
When you're being stunlocked, especially in PvP, you can swap weapon (right or left hand) during the stunlock and roll away to escape. It was very useful in Demon's and Dark 1 PvP and actually made PvP far more fun because getting caught in the beginning of a combo wasn't necessarily a death sentence anymore.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Looks too fast.

They said in an interview that it was deliberately sped up for demo purposes.
I suppose they could show some bulkier armours and the impact that has on mobility, but I doubt that makes for good advertising material, and I doubt they want to show off too much too soon.

Not sure what you mean by "so reliant". Dodging has been one of the primary tools since DeS, and now there are even more options. It would help if you explain what you like about Souls combat that is now apparently gone.

If you're just tired of it then that's a shame. Plenty of other games to enjoy while you cool off. Maybe you'll see something you like once it's released and you can get around to it eventually.

Think of it like the trick weapons in Bloodborne.
They add another layer (transforming mid-combo as well as using different forms for different situations), but are not essential to enjoy the game.

Many people will say the trick weapons and their potential are the "star" of Bloodborne, while many people like you will say they aren't needed.

It may be the same thing with Battle Arts.
Another well-developed - but completely optional - layer for those looking for more depth.

I think trick weapons were a great alternative to two-handing because it was very elegant and simple and lent itself well to physical combat. Now, weapon arts provide something along the lines of trick weapons, but have a limited use. That's the part that worries me. The fact that they don't let you use them more than a limited amount of times seems to point to it being a very powerful move. I don't think physical weapons need that kind of mechanic. Limited charges works for Magic and Miracles because it's a very different playstyle, having that range is already such an advantage.

I mean, there's plenty of things you can consider 'optional', but every element present is going to have an effect on your gameplay. If it turns out to be annoying in PvP you can bet people are going to use it to it's fullest.

I'm not counting it out yet, but it really seems like overkill at this point. I'm really interested in hearing or seeing more about it.

Zaventem

I think trick weapons were a great alternative to two-handing because it was very elegant and simple and lent itself well to physical combat. Now, weapon arts provide something along the lines of trick weapons, but have a limited use. That's the part that worries me. The fact that they don't let you use them more than a limited amount of times seems to point to it being a very powerful move.

I mean, there's plenty of things you can consider 'optional', but every element present is going to have an effect on your gameplay. If it turns out to be annoying in PvP you can bet people are going to use it to it's fullest.

Counter point. Special weapons already had high damaging moving with "numbered" restrictions, just not as upfront to the visible eye. Usually 4 each in dark souls 1 since those moves are tied to durability. ( MLGS special attacks as a good example but can be constantly reused with repair powder when said weapon reaches it's limit) They just gave every weapon a chance at having a special attack now and in turn gave weapons a bigger moveset.

impact

Banned
Bloodborne has the best combat in the series though.

No one cares about "best combat" when the weapons are fuckin lame as hell. No variety at all.

On topic:

+ Dead angles NO (in PVE at this stage)
+ Stored roll YES (queue up rolls by tapping B while rolling, which lets you immediately roll again)

Sounds bad. Why FROM, why?

Top Bottom