• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#DarkSoulsDowngrade and #YOULIED \\ a.k.a You got some splainin' to do, Namco

Amir0x

Banned
Yikes, was it that bad?

It's such an insane downgrade from what they've been advertising I honestly don't know what reviewers were doing in their overviews of this game. Reading the reviews, you'd think this is the game we were getting as advertised. Instead, scores of features have been toned down or removed completely, visual effects so dramatically impacted it looks like some parody version at times.

I'm genuinely furious at Namco and From for this, if the PC version is not what the videos have been advertising all this time I might be done with the series without a complete apology.

Wolfe

We don't know the reasoning indeed. Doesn't change the fact that they certainly never told us about these changes, and, something which is stranger and arguably more serious is that no video game site whatsoever mentionned those changes (at least one of them should have noticed something). People were misleaded, and to put it bluntly something stinks.

Yeah the whole thing is a bit odd to me. Hopefully someone gives an answer because while the game still may be thoroughly enjoyable it's not the same game that was being shown for the majority of development.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's such an insane downgrade from what they've been advertising I honestly don't know what reviewers were doing in their overviews of this game. Reading the reviews, you'd think this is the game we were getting as advertised. Instead, scores of features have been toned down or removed completely, visual effects so dramatically impacted it looks like some parody version at times.

I'm genuinely furious at Namco and From for this, if the PC version is not what the videos have been advertising all this time I might be done with the series without a complete apology.
All the reviewers were so ready to jump on the positive hype bandwagon their good scores would get them they forgot to compare the game to the demos

Amir0x

Banned
All the reviewers were so ready to jump on the positive hype bandwagon their good scores would get them they forgot to compare the game to the demos

and not one of them had the presence of mind to think "hey, something seems off here... like... this doesn't look the way I remember it looking in our previews before..."?

I can't believe almost none of them had the forethought to remember that shit. Sad state of affairs if so :(

Nohar

and not one of them had the presence of mind to think "hey, something seems off here... like... this doesn't look the way I remember it looking in our previews before..."?

I can't believe almost none of them had the forethought to remember that shit. Sad state of affairs if so :(

The question is: did they not remember, did they review a different version of the game, or did they hide that on purpose?
At least one of them should have noticed something. But it seems no one did, despite the fact that most reviewers probably payed close attention to the evolution of the game. How strange, really. What are the odds?

eot

Banned

Why should they compare it to demos? I think they should review the game for what it is. Not that they shouldn't point out false advertising, but I don't think the review is the place for that.

pa22word

Why should they compare it to demos? I think they should review the game for what it is. Not that they shouldn't point out false advertising, but I don't think the review is the place for that.

It is when the torch mechanics, a touted feature since the game was revealed, are obviously completely worthless in game because of it.

Yeah it is extremely disappointing, hard to believe none of 'em noticed anything.

Gbraga

There were reviews that mentioned the downgrade, they just didn't think the game should recieve a low score because of that.

Ill Saint

It is when the torch mechanics, a touted feature since the game was revealed, are obviously completely worthless in game because of it.

It's not completely worthless. There are areas where it's still extremely useful, or even needed. Actually, as I've been playing through it, I have the distinct feeling that if the pitch black areas were not brightened up a bit, the game would have been exceedingly difficult, frustrating, and perhaps quite imbalanced. Just a hunch, but maybe this is what they discovered during late stage playtesting and so lessened the reliance on the torch mechanic.

Garcia

There were reviews that mentioned the downgrade, they just didn't think the game should recieve a low score because of that.

Which shocks me because they "somehow" forgot about all the distracting bugs that are abundant everywhere. There are even input lag problems during gameplay which is completely unacceptable for a game of this nature (many people are starting to notice this in the OT).

Some of those very same review sites lower their scores because of the overall look of many other games but for Dark Souls they just decided to ignore this completely.

No professional site so far mentions the notorious differences between both the PS3 and X360 versions. I can only speak for the PS3 one when I say the framerate went down to the mid 10s (dangerously getting close to Blightown) while fighting one boss with other 2 players helping me out. It always, constantly fluctuates between 20-30 to 60 FPS.

This is a rushed game that shouldn't have been released for consoles in its current state.

Nohar

It would be interesting to read and list the reviews which mentioned the graphical downgrade and the ones which didn't, in order to have a better and objective view of all this (though it still seems that most reviews don't mention that fact at all).

Could you please share with us which ones mentioned the downgrade (aside from EGM)?

As far as the french reviews go, neither Gamekult nor Jeuxvideo.fr mentioned it, though they do mention other important things, such as a very capricious framerate, and Gamekult noticed that the XBOX 360 version run more smoothly than its PS3 counterpart (however, they also wrote that the tearing on 360 is worse). No mention of bugs though.

i3i2R2WWxhYry.gif

WHAT

Garcia

What the hell, there's input lag as well? I guess that adds more enjoyment in the combat.

It was clearly designed to be that way to make the game feel a little bit harder. ( :p )

There's a bug during a boss fight where the player gets stucks in a wall forever and you know how do I know this? Because it's happened to me, twice in a row. :-/

nOoblet16

I've played the game for about 5 hours now and not once have I used my torch that I got at the start of the game (except for that one time when I got it to check it out).

Alebrije

Its a shame a game like this has those graphics , specially at the end of this generation when most of developers know how the PS3 /360 work and can be optimized.
This is pure laziness from Namco and From, there is no other explanation because I do not think they do not have te knowledge to deliver a good lighting and graphic detail over all the game at the end of this generation.

the best analogy about this :

Screen-Shot-2012-01-10-at-4.46.23-PM-550x379.png

RK9039

It was clearly designed to be that way to make the game feel a little bit harder. ( :p )

There's a bug during a boss fight where the player gets stucks in a wall forever and you know how do I know this? Because it's happened to me, twice in a row. :-/

Yeah but... that was a design choice as well.

:(

Garcia

Its a shame a game like this has those graphics , specially at the end of this generation when most of developers know how the PS3 /360 work and can be optimized.
This is pure laziness from Namco and From, there is no other explanation because I do not think they do not have te knowledge to deliver a good lighting and graphic detail over all the game at the end of this generation.

Yeah, it's frustrating because Dark Souls 2 is extremely fun to play (online). It's just a big pile of wasted potential when you find out about all of the shortcomings and wrong choices.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
It was truly tough at first, especially since I knew I could buy Dark Souls II at any time via Live. But with every new gif showing the gulf of differences between what we were shown and and what we got, I'm ok with waiting.

I might even be ok with never playing a second of Dark Souls II.

Yo

Shit is getting criminal

At this point, I am hoping that they had to scramble to put together less intensive assets for the 360/PS3 versions because of performance issues. Because honestly if the PC version comes out and looks nothing like the demo builds, I am definitely inclined to agree with you.

The fact that the game was downgraded is not the problem, the fact that the downgrade was completely unknown until release is the problem.

Trey

At this point, I am hoping that they had to scramble to put together less intensive assets for the 360/PS3 versions because of performance issues. Because honestly if the PC version comes out and looks nothing like the demo builds, I am definitely inclined to agree with you.

The fact that the game was downgraded is not the problem, the fact that the downgrade was completely unknown until release is the problem.

I hope Durante is on stand by.

The Lamp

It's not completely worthless. There are areas where it's still extremely useful, or even needed. Actually, as I've been playing through it, I have the distinct feeling that if the pitch black areas were not brightened up a bit, the game would have been exceedingly difficult, frustrating, and perhaps quite imbalanced. Just a hunch, but maybe this is what they discovered during late stage playtesting and so lessened the reliance on the torch mechanic.

They still should have done something more than just sloppily removed it.

For example
using a Pharros Lockstone in No Man's Wharf was supposed to be a huge deal because it lights up the whole map. But you didn't even need the light because it was never too dark to maneuver without it. So I felt like I wasted my lockstone using it.

Nicktals

Banned
Um, wow...That's drastic. Did they use the demo build to advertise the game? If they did, and it wasn't accompanied by small print like "footage shown not representative of game" or something, couldn't they actually be in some legal trouble?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's already in the op, but I sized/cut the comparison together.

ds2wallc2k22.jpg

So yeah, I'm sticking with my theory that they'd prototyped the game and built together a vertical slice for presenting their fancy new engine and graphics, all running on PC, and thus in that respect it was entirely legitimate and an excellent method of showing off the impressive new lighting/shadow rendering and how important it is to gameplay.

Time passed and FROM hit massive barriers trying to get the this level of visual quality running on severely dated 360/PS3 tier hardware. The issues were so significant that they were required to not only downscale general texture/asset quality (not unusual at all from high end PC -> console), but also totally overhaul their lightning engine to be far less reliant on complex dynamics and gradient calculations, and instead rely on a more rudimentary lighting/shadow system not unusual for most 360/PS3 tier games. This in turn diminished the impact of the torch system, hence why it's so trivial in the final game.

Gbraga

What the fuck? I was actually ok with the lighting downgrades till I saw this. This looks like a straight up generation leap..

Anyone ask ENB about this yet? He spent a considerable amount of time with pre-retail builds when he worked on the guide.

Yep, he basically said "the game runs like shit", which is acceptable, I guess.

Vaati is hyping up the PC release as our new hope, he seems more disappointed with the warping and enemy despawn though.

Abdozer

Do you guys really think the PC version will look like the demo gameplays we've seen? Just curious if that's possible. I don't seem to recall a game where the PC platform looked that significantly better, feel free to prove me wrong though lol.

sirap

Yep, he basically said "the game runs like shit", which is acceptable, I guess.

Vaati is hyping up the PC release as our new hope, he seems more disappointed with the warping and enemy despawn though.

Damn. I doubt the PC version will be any different, unless FROM decided to include the original textures and set pieces. That's pretty much unlikely though, but ram me in the ass if they do give us that.

Oh well, we always have DeS2 running on superior PS4 to look forward to!

ElfArmy177

Ugh can I get a refund from steam? Game sounds fucking terrible and here is the sad part...

Played and loved all the kings field games over.. And over again, played all the other from software games and loved them including armored core and chromehounds... Also played the hell out of demons souls and dark souls..

Fuck you from software and the new director for...

-enemy despawn

-pulling a large publisher move by not delivering on promised graphics.

-fucking warping to locations? Your games are about atmosphere and exploration.. Unless its mild warping as kings field had it late in game... :(

Enemy despawn is a huge fucking issue for me..

viperman240

Neo Member
Can anyone try and find a video of an early dark souls 2 presentation where they were talking about lighting? In which the presenter attacked a boarded up window and after he broke the wood covering the window, light shined into the room and lit everything up.

I tried finding this video and I just couldn't find it anywhere. I dont remember if it was on IGN or gamespot but its nowhere to be found.

When I saw that video I found it so amazing that you can just do that. Would be nice if someone remembers seeing this as well.

epmode

Do you guys really think the PC version will look like the demo gameplays we've seen?

That's the big question. The only thing I want out of Namco is a real screenshot of the PC version. It sucks that the console versions were butchered but several of the big lighting changes seem to have happened at the last minute so there's a chance that the PC version still has them.

I think we're out of luck when it comes to the improved level geometry and textures though. We'll probably just get higher resolution versions of the existing textures. But even that would look a lot better if the improved lighting is retained.

Top Bottom